Trying to decide between a few doctors... Consultations with Rahal, Wesley, Dorin, Bernstein

Hi there. First time posting, so let me just say that this is such an awesome community. I have learned a lot on this site over the years, so thank you to all of you who answer questions to those of us trying to make an important decision.

I live in NYC and have been thinking about a HT for the past 3-4 years. Over that time, I had consultations with 3 doctors near me (Drs. Wesley, Dorin, and Bernstein). I also had a remote consultation with Dr. Rahal in Canada. I am 46 years old and Norwood 3 and am really focused on trying to restore my hairline and get density in the front and top of my head. It's a balance of having my hairline back, but also wanting it to look natural and appropriate for my age.

Here is my take on them and would love to know if others agree/disagree with my assessments and if there are other doctors I should also consider:

Dr. Bernstein. Nice guy. Met him 3 years ago. Recommended 1500-2000 grafts and to mostly fill in the front hairline and said that if needed, I could do another procedure down the line. The pictures I saw of his hairlines didn't look very natural to me. They looked like they were almost a straight line, like they were drawn with a ruler, and seemed to lack the single hairs that one would expect in the front. On his website, he now has pictures that show better, more natural hairlines. Maybe he has gotten better?

Dr. Wesley. Met him in late 2019 right before the pandemic. He was also recommending a similar number of grafts. I liked him a lot, and I thought his hairlines were better than Bernstein's. Some were excellent. But he was pushing FUT and I sometimes wear my hair short.

Dr. Dorin. Also met him in 2019. I didn't like his work.

Dr. Rahal. I first spoke to his office in 2020 right before the pandemic. It was less personalized service than the other doctors and was really hard to speak with him. In fairness, I don't happen to live in Canada whereas I am local to the other doctors. Maybe if I lived near Dr. Rahal, my experience would be different. Maybe they get a lot of not-so-serious people and so they are careful on having Dr. Rahal speak to everyone? Anyway, I sent photos and talked to the patient coordinator. She sent me his recommendations. I had to ask a few times if I could speak with him, and I eventually did, but it was almost like I had to really convince them that I needed to speak with this person who might be performing a surgical procedure on me. He recommended 2500 grafts which he said would give me a hairline as well as density. He said I might need another procedure down the line if I had more thinning on top or in the crown area.

I initially reached out to Dr. Rahal based on positive reviews here and pictures I had seen of his hairlines (which were really amazing). But the reviews are mostly older threads from a few years back. I know others have posted about this recently (why no new Rahal posts?) and some have pointed out a couple of newer threads where people sing Rahal's praises, but I am concerned there aren't more Rahal patients posting here. 

My thoughts / questions:

1. Of the group above, who would you say is the one who has better results? The best track record / reputation for great results?

2. Is my experience with Dr. Rahal indicative of how it would be if I were a patient? Is it going to be pretty impersonal across the board? Will I just see him for 5 minutes and then techs will do everything?

3. Since I am willing to travel, are there other doctors I should consider who are outside of my geographic area (but still in North America)? Basically, who else should I consult with? Hasson? Baubac? Konior? Shapriro? Parsa Mohebi? Are there others who are really amazing that I haven't spoken with? Who is on top of their game right now, especially when it comes to hairlines?

Thanks so much for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bbkish said:

3. Since I am willing to travel, are there other doctors I should consider who are outside of my geographic area (but still in North America)? Basically, who else should I consult with? Hasson? Baubac? Konior? Shapriro? Parsa Mohebi?

If you are not in a rush to get a HT then consult with as many docs as possible until you find one that you really click with.  

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You're already a step ahead of most patients by finding this site and seeking advice. Kudos to doing your research before you've had any surgical intervention. Your list is okay but definitely don't just consider surgeons in NY. From your list I would consult with Shapiro, Hasson and Konior. They are all excellent surgeons and perform some of the best hair restoration in the world. Keep us posted and good luck!

• Like 3

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

I definitely agree with what @JohnAC71said about @Dr. Vladimir Panine. Dr. Panine consistently puts out amazing results. Feel free to reach out anytime. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would talk to Hasson, Konior (+ Nadimi), Bloxham, and really whichever other doctors stand out to you. There's no harm in getting more opinions from the top surgeons and it will only take a few minutes to reach out.

Dr. Bernstein is a great resource but I haven't seen results posted of his work in a long time, and I've never really considered him to be near the top in terms of hairline artistry.

• Like 1

I agree on Bernstein. when I consulted with him, I felt that his hairlines looked like he drew them with a ruler and lacked density. They seem to look better today based on what is on his website, but not near the quality of others.

I noticed that Hasson is great on density but I worry it could exhaust my donor area. His hairlines are great in many ways, but he tends not to fill in the temples. Maybe he views it as too aggressive?  The problem is that I think you run the risk of it looking less natural.

I’d live to speak to Konior, but I’m not sure that will be easy

it’s really hard to actually “speak” to the doctors themselves. Many have these reps / nurses / staff that shield them. It’s kind of weird to be looking at spending over $20,000 and all you do is talk to a non-medical person about a surgical procedure, one that is important for every person. Being told I will just meet the doctor for the first time on the morning of the procedure seems weird. And it makes it hard to know what he / she is like and whether you mesh with their philosophy and approach.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bbkish said:

I agree on Bernstein. when I consulted with him, I felt that his hairlines looked like he drew them with a ruler and lacked density. They seem to look better today based on what is on his website, but not near the quality of others.

I noticed that Hasson is great on density but I worry it could exhaust my donor area. His hairlines are great in many ways, but he tends not to fill in the temples. Maybe he views it as too aggressive?  The problem is that I think you run the risk of it looking less natural.

it’s really hard to actually “speak” to the doctors themselves. Many have these reps / nurses / staff that shield them. It’s kind of weird to be looking at spending over $20,000 and all you do is talk to a non-medical person about a surgical procedure, one that is important for every person. Being told I will just meet the doctor for the first time on the morning of the procedure seems weird. And it makes it hard to know what he / she is like and whether you mesh with their philosophy and approach.

Dr. Hasson definitely has results where he fills in the temples though he seems to do those NW2/NW3 hairlines as well. You definitely can get a straight hairline if you want from him.

Yeah, Doctors can be hard to speak with since they're busy with a ton of other stuff but there are some doctors who speak with you in person. Depends on the doctor tbh.

7 hours ago, bbkish said:

Dr Konior does all his own patient consults and has no reps or sales people. He even does his own scheduling. He is extremely timely with responses and you deal directly with him for almost everything but payment and pre-op instructions. He is easily accessible through email or calling the office to setup an in person consult. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

9 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

Dr Konior does all his own patient consults and has no reps or sales people. He even does his own scheduling. He is extremely timely with responses and you deal directly with him for almost everything but payment and pre-op instructions. He is easily accessible through email or calling the office to setup an in person consult. 

His partner, Dr. Nadimi, emailed me. I think it's awkward to say that I want Konior.

• Administrators

You’ve got some good names, my advice is consult with all of them, and ask for examples of work that closely resemble you. Also, ask to speak to past patients. You will ultimately be able to decide a lot better. Do not make the mistake of not wanting to spend a couple hundred bucks before making a decision that will cost thousands, that’s foolish.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

You’ve got some good names, my advice is consult with all of them, and ask for examples of work that closely resemble you. Also, ask to speak to past patients. You will ultimately be able to decide a lot better. Do not make the mistake of not wanting to spend a couple hundred bucks before making a decision that will cost thousands, that’s foolish.

I’m willing to spend the money. Staying close by wasn’t due to travel costs. It’s just a major procedure and there was something appealing about being closer to home for follow ups or even recovering at home vs a hotel room in some other city. But I think I’ve gotten over the geography thing. It’s still just very hard to evaluate doctors and different approaches and know what’s right.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, bbkish said:

His partner, Dr. Nadimi, emailed me. I think it's awkward to say that I want Konior.

Both are pretty excellent Drs in their own right. Obviously Dr Nadimi is the lesser experienced. Either is a good choice, don’t be worried about asking for Dr Konior specifically. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, bbkish said:

I’m willing to spend the money. Staying close by wasn’t due to travel costs. It’s just a major procedure and there was something appealing about being closer to home for follow ups or even recovering at home vs a hotel room in some other city. But I think I’ve gotten over the geography thing. It’s still just very hard to evaluate doctors and different approaches and know what’s right.

Yeah I definitely feel you. That's why when I've been planning out my transplant, I've been seriously considering staying for a good 2 weeks minimum just in case something goes wrong, I can stay completely local. That and the fact that Spain sounds really nice during the spring. Doesn't really help the hotel room stuff but hey, maybe having access to room service and hotel staff is a benefit

Might just go back and visit again after a few months cause why not get a checkup and enjoy a second vacation though not so sure on this yet

Edited by deeznuts
  • Like 1

I had one of the BEST experiences with consultation with Doctor Mohebi. Incredibly well depth meeting and what I thought would be 10 mins of consultation, turned out to be 45 mins. He didn't rush anything, understood my needs and made his recommendations. I left feeling accomplished. I've scheduled an appointment with him for the first available date; he is booked months in advance. I wish you well but highly suggest you narrow down to 2-3 and then go from there. 

I didn't have an hair transplant yet.

I'm following this discussion.

So far, it is nice reading the comments and learning.

You have mentioned in the OP post some of the best in the industry.

Hopefully, more people will join and share their experience with the doctors and clinics you have mentioned in the OP post.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:37 AM, deeznuts said:

Yeah I definitely feel you. That's why when I've been planning out my transplant, I've been seriously considering staying for a good 2 weeks minimum just in case something goes wrong, I can stay completely local. That and the fact that Spain sounds really nice during the spring. Doesn't really help the hotel room stuff but hey, maybe having access to room service and hotel staff is a benefit

Might just go back and visit again after a few months cause why not get a checkup and enjoy a second vacation though not so sure on this yet

I have had an in-person consultation with Rahal, a few years back, and in hindsight, I wish I had never wasted a single minute meeting him, let alone a 4 hr travel and an overnight hotel stay. My personal opinion is that he simply looks for 'poster' worthy cases, and avoids challenging cases. I get that its a business and he can run it as he pleases, but as a doctor, it would be nice if he was more transparent and clear in his evaluation. He spent about 5 mins talking to me, and simply started selling me PRP and SMP, when I clearly said I was not open to it. For the next 6 months, his sales rep kept trying to sell PRP and SMP..... This is not to say Rahal doesnt have skills, but my overall impression was that this place was more about mass business than individual patient care..

I also had an in-person consultation with Dr Nadimi. She came across as a thorough professional. Dont expect her to sugar coat anything, but I found her to be honest, attentive to your expectations and never tried to sell her opinion to you. Even her online communication was impeccable.. Frankly, I never had to wait more than 12 hours for her reply.. she was detailed, to the point and very helpful.. Granted she is less experienced than some other doctors, but I believe that her waiting list (and perhaps even prices) will soon be elite level...

I would also advise you to look into H&W.. (Thats the clinic I finally went ahead with).

best of luck..

17 minutes ago, InTheSix said:

I have had an in-person consultation with Rahal, a few years back, and in hindsight, I wish I had never wasted a single minute meeting him, let alone a 4 hr travel and an overnight hotel stay. My personal opinion is that he simply looks for 'poster' worthy cases, and avoids challenging cases. I get that its a business and he can run it as he pleases, but as a doctor, it would be nice if he was more transparent and clear in his evaluation. He spent about 5 mins talking to me, and simply started selling me PRP and SMP, when I clearly said I was not open to it. For the next 6 months, his sales rep kept trying to sell PRP and SMP..... This is not to say Rahal doesnt have skills, but my overall impression was that this place was more about mass business than individual patient care..

I also had an in-person consultation with Dr Nadimi. She came across as a thorough professional. Dont expect her to sugar coat anything, but I found her to be honest, attentive to your expectations and never tried to sell her opinion to you. Even her online communication was impeccable.. Frankly, I never had to wait more than 12 hours for her reply.. she was detailed, to the point and very helpful.. Granted she is less experienced than some other doctors, but I believe that her waiting list (and perhaps even prices) will soon be elite level...

I would also advise you to look into H&W.. (Thats the clinic I finally went ahead with).

best of luck..

I never got an in person consult with Rahal cause of COVID lockdowns but I filled out the online form on his website and his sales reps spent the next week harassing me for photos. Dude called me Saturday morning like he was trying to sell me a timeshare in Mexico instead of a medical procedure. If I tried to talk to them on their website using the online chat, they were just heavily trying to turn a simple question into me sending photos. For that reason, I never proceeded any further with Rahal. I've really had a great experience with all the other reps I've come in contact with though. Hasson and Wongs Toronto rep was really great. Same with Dr. De Freitas. Thinking back on it though, it's probably better that I didn't get the in person consultation cause then I would have had to deal with 6 months of sales tactics instead of 1 week lol

The Rahal results I've seen have been really solid but I just didn't want to deal with guys like that

H&W were my second choice though. I really like their work and they've been at it for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:33 AM, deeznuts said:

I never got an in person consult with Rahal cause of COVID lockdowns but I filled out the online form on his website and his sales reps spent the next week harassing me for photos. Dude called me Saturday morning like he was trying to sell me a timeshare in Mexico instead of a medical procedure. If I tried to talk to them on their website using the online chat, they were just heavily trying to turn a simple question into me sending photos. For that reason, I never proceeded any further with Rahal. I've really had a great experience with all the other reps I've come in contact with though. Hasson and Wongs Toronto rep was really great. Same with Dr. De Freitas. Thinking back on it though, it's probably better that I didn't get the in person consultation cause then I would have had to deal with 6 months of sales tactics instead of 1 week lol

The Rahal results I've seen have been really solid but I just didn't want to deal with guys like that

H&W were my second choice though. I really like their work and they've been at it for a long time.

What's the big deal with sending photos? Wouldn't you want them to quote based off photos if you can't get to the clinic?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mark Wolfer said:

What's the big deal with sending photos? Wouldn't you want them to quote based off photos if you can't get to the clinic?

I have no issue with sending photos. I sent photos for my other online consultation with Dr. De Freitas and did a video call for H&W.

It's more to do with how pushy they were and that they spent all their effort into converting me into a customer instead of actually answering my questions. I wasn't even aiming for a quote since I already knew the rough graft count I would need so it was just to learn more and be informed. I think I was just asking about getting an in person consult since they'd be able to look at my hair under a microscope and whatever else. I already knew what my rough graft requirements would be based on a prior consult with H&W. I don't remember the exact conversation but even questions that they didn't need photos for, they were still trying to close on me. It was just super frustrating dealing with salesmen