FUE -- How bad are the numbing injections?

williamsburgh

Hey everyone,

I am wanting to do FUE, but I have pretty bad needle phobia. What's been keeping me from going forward is fear of how bad the numbing injections themselves will hurt.

I don't think I can wait any longer, and will do the procedure with whatever pain comes along with it, but I am honestly pretty nervous.

If you have a minute, would you mind sharing how much the actual injections (especially the nerve block in the front) hurt? Was there anything your doctor did or suggested you do to minimize the pain?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you sharing your experience

@williamsburgh 

in my case i didn't ask the doctor for any special treatment because i don't have a problem with needles or anything like that.

for the donor area I would not worry if i were you... i felt something i can describe more as discomfort ... not a real pain... just for few seconds... the anesthetic kicks in pretty quick.. after 5 seconds you have no idea if the doctor does anything to your scalp or not... 

and goes the same for the frontal area, maybe slightly more discomfort but you will totally manage.

I am trying to be honest with you that was in my experience.... 

Because my procedure was early in the morning i had to wake up early to drive for 3 hours before the procedure... and 20 minutes after the procedure started i took a nap while the doctor was collecting the grafts in my donor area... so after those 5 seconds when they are injecting the anesthetic you can't feel anything.

Hopefully you will have same experience as me.

We've had some seriously needle phobic clients in the past and things went very well with them. We never had to abort a procedure because of anesthesia, so that must be reassuring to you. We personally use a freeze spray and then we use our own approach of numbing the area using blunt cannulas. We have recently published it in this months hair transplant journal. Pain scores dropped by nearly 4 points (out of 10) based on this technique in comparison with our previous standard approach. 

1641681464_ScreenShot2020-12-20at12_11_32PM.png.0a5584ab3b7757d66c995045f7423a93.png

• Like 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

I usually compare it to getting a novacaine shot at the dentist.  The doctor will most likely start with a few and wait for it to start working.  You typically feel these but the following shots are masked by the existing anesthesia and you really never feel them.  You will be fine....don't worry. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Valued Contributor

I would inform the surgery that you have a 'needle phobia' prior to surgery. Including repair work, I have lost count of how many injections of anesthesia I have had into my scalp. Probably somewhere up around the 30 range. None of them were with nerve blocking agents and nearly all without a benzodiazepam. I have a pretty high pain threshold and have a belief that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! Lol. But seriously even back when I had these the pain was intense but VERY short lived. I would just focus on someone mentally. After the brief anaesthetic I always felt 'literaly' nothing, whether it was harvesting, implanting or later with corrective surgery taking strips out of my hairline or the donor area. Today is much different to thirty years ago. You will be fine and be telling yourself 'is that all it is?'

• Like 1

Yes benzodiazepines help a lot with anxiety. Usually given in the morning or on the way to clinic so as to calm the patient down. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

To be perfectly honest, I found it to be pretty painful in the moment... HOWEVER, it was also extremely fleeting and was almost over before I even knew it started. In a way, that balanced the experience out for me and almost overrides the pain that I did feel. See if they can give you something for anxiety beforehand, as the others suggested... And regardless, know that while painful, it's not as bad as it would seem. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators

Its not that bad, it depends on the person. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I few initial needle stings and the rest is painless.  A comforting medication prior (such as Valium) and the entire day will seem like a couple hours.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.