That’s why HT is not the solution !

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Seniormido said:

Do you think Wayne Rooney didn’t do his research and didn’t choose a top clinic ?

Yes, and YES!

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Guy was a NW5 at 25 years old, which is astronomically rare and severe balding for his age.  So its not that HT is not a solution, he just wasn't eligible.  And even then, in that worst case scenario, he did manage to have the illusion of a full head of hair for a good 6-7 years there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Enhancer said:

Guy was a NW5 at 25 years old, which is astronomically rare and severe balding for his age.  So its not that HT is not a solution, he just wasn't eligible.  And even then, in that worst case scenario, he did manage to have the illusion of a full head of hair for a good 6-7 years there.

I wonder if he even had a good result to begin with. It could have been topik augmenting things, as he always looked different in interviews. Just look at this photo only 6 months ago. On the pitch however, especially on a rainy day, he could not conceal how thin his hair was. 

roon202.jpg

• Administrators

A few things with Rooney, he’s only had around 3k grafts, I think maybe 50% grew. He continued to lose more hair. Now at 35, he could go to a world renowned clinic and get a pretty decent head of hair. If he used hair loss concealers, he’ll probably look 100%

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

A few things with Rooney, he’s only had around 3k grafts, I think maybe 50% grew. He continued to lose more hair. Now at 35, he could go to a world renowned clinic and get a pretty decent head of hair. If he used hair loss concealers, he’ll probably look 100%

This is my belief too. Looking at all the after ht pics he only seemed to have a low amount of grafts each time. With his love of concealers already he could do much better. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

He needs like 7000 grafts + more for  expected future hair loss

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Seniormido said:

He needs like 7000 grafts + more for  expected future hair loss

He’s probably lost most of the hair he’s gonna lose. His hair loss started early, by 25 he was almost full blown Norwood 5. He’s a perfect candidate now. 

View my thread

The way I see it, it's not a losing battle. Either you start early with treatment and preserve your native hair, or you have enough donor to sustain a realistic NW3 long term. In Rooney's case, that should come from body hair, but he just doesn't seem to care anymore, I think he applies some topik for now and once he's retired and no longer appearing on telly so much he'll just shave it off and will be having a completely normal life as he's loaded and famous and has a family. 

I'd be more interested what are the options of John Doe with the same aggressive MPB but without the fame, money, etc.

5 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

The way I see it, it's not a losing battle. Either you start early with treatment and preserve your native hair, or you have enough donor to sustain a realistic NW3 long term. In Rooney's case, that should come from body hair, but he just doesn't seem to care anymore, I think he applies some topik for now and once he's retired and no longer appearing on telly so much he'll just shave it off and will be having a completely normal life as he's loaded and famous and has a family. 

I'd be more interested what are the options of John Doe with the same aggressive MPB but without the fame, money, etc.

Who is John Doe ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

No I think the pressure on him is more than a normal man as he is a famous person and many people are capturing his photos !

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think the second factor is most likely the thing that got him, like it gets so many others.

Too many clinics promise a transplant as a one and done procedure and permanent solution to hair loss. In reality, it should be presented as the first step of a holistic process. All patients should at least be attempting medication. All patients should be presented with the fact that there's a good possibility that they will need at least two procedures to stay on top of progression or achieve their desired density over time.

Many clinics have sales reps who sell the surgery as a quick miracle fix, because the reality of the situation isn't as appealing a pitch, and they're paid to put patients in the chair.

Edit: In general I've quietly ruled out the opinions of any doctor that isn't being realistic about the above, because it's a huge red flag.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Seniormido said:

It is a losing battle !

If that’s how you feel, shave your head and move on.

• Like 1

View my thread

8 hours ago, jolly said:

I do not think a celebrity star like rooney , for whom money does not matter , went to a cheap clinic , lets all admit that transplanted hair do not last forever in my opinion , if you are not on medication like the dreaded  finasteride or some other dht blocker ..... period ...... , donor hair is susceptible to dht in the recipient area as it appear to be quiet strong along the frontal hairline mid and crown , so no matter from where you take it , dht will attack it on the frontal zones unless you block it .

The hair that you think thinned out never existed, he's been using massive amounts of concealers since day one. He had ultra low graft numbers from a dogshit clinic that isn't equipped for anything other than marketing. The UK and Australia are the number one destinations for an incredibly expensive, incredibly poor quality hair transplant from doctors that haven't learned the depth of their craft. The hair didn't fall out, the hair was never implanted. 

No offense to sporting figures but most of them and their surrounding agents are meatheads outside of their own work, you often read about celebs and sporting figures booking out an entire clinic for themselves at those that clearly spend their entire budget on marketing. If they had any reasonable level of intelligence they'd do basic research and take their money to surgeons like Konior or Couto.

12 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Rooney had his HTs done at the Harley Street Hair Clinic, where Spex also had one of his and is a patient advisor for the clinic now. I wouldn't call them a poor clinic, however they are not quite there as the only 2 elites in the UK imo - Dr. Ball and Dr. Reddy and they are unreasonably expensive -  Rooney forked out £30,000 (!!!) there.

I agree with the rest though.. He was chasing a NW6 and while he once took finasteride, he surely stopped after having kids (4 if I recall correctly) and that must have made things only worse. 

To be honest, he's pretty much doomed hair wise, unless he'd consider BHT in the future as he seems to be having a lot of that. :)

On the other hand, to show you how most people have no idea what happens when you have a HT without being on meds or with aggressive MPB - I remember an article by The Sun years ago, something like "Rooney's hair is thinning again" and most comments were like "how is he still balding if he spent all that money on hair transplants". 

Spex had a hair transplant with them where virtually nothing grew or changed and it would have cost more than 10k USD.  I also wouldn't consider him a good source of information, the guy literally pushes trashy supplements for a buck that have no scientific basis for aiding hairloss.

Yes they are a poor clinic. And no Rooney was not "doomed", he's filthy rich and roughly only NW5. He literally has less than 1000 grafts on his head, there are photos from years back that show that even within a year of the transplant he had virtually no growth and relied on concealers. Look for yourself, the comment about "aggressive hairloss" and not being on meds is just plain dumb, it is a problem *purely* related to graft numbers and growth rates. Rooney has very thin hair but he could have got a B- result instead of a D- if he went to a competent clinic. 

Do you realistically think Rooney would be in this position if he'd gone to Hasson/Wong, Couto or Konior for example? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayLDD said:

Spex had a hair transplant with them where virtually nothing grew or changed and it would have cost more than 10k USD.  I also wouldn't consider him a good source of information, the guy literally pushes trashy supplements for a buck that have no scientific basis for aiding hairloss.

Yes they are a poor clinic. And no Rooney was not "doomed", he's filthy rich and roughly only NW5. He literally has less than 1000 grafts on his head, there are photos from years back that show that even within a year of the transplant he had virtually no growth and relied on concealers. Look for yourself, the comment about "aggressive hairloss" and not being on meds is just plain dumb, it is a problem *purely* related to graft numbers and growth rates. Rooney has very thin hair but he could have got a B- result instead of a D- if he went to a competent clinic. 

Do you realistically think Rooney would be in this position if he'd gone to Hasson/Wong, Couto or Konior for example? 

May be it’s planned !

I mean to use a small number of grafts (low density) with concealers until hair loss stabilise.
The advantage that he will have less scarring in both donor and receipt areas so he will still have the option to shave his head if the hair loss is too severe for more surgeries!

May be they refused him as many of the top surgeons will advise you not to have a HT if you have severe hair loss at young age and not on Finasteride which is a good advice!

Edited by Seniormido

I didn't say Rooney was doomed, note how I used present tense in describing his hair situation. He is "doomed" now because he lost all his native hair and after 3 HTs has very limited amount of donor hair he's got a thinning crown and general thinning all over, maybe even DUPA, very poor hair quality imo, but either way was not a very good candidate for HTs because of these combined factors, PLUS the aggressive MPB. 

So yeah, if he went to some good clinics in the first place, he might be in a somewhat better situation, for sure, but you built an argument of something I never said.

Also, as John corrected me, he went to HS Hair Clinic for the first procedure, but we don't know where he had his subsequent ones. As well as how many grafts were used and most importantly, what was the regrowth rate. This either means he went to really poor clinics every single time, or he was not a very good candidate for HT, I think guys with very aggressive MPB - without being on any treatment - rarely are, the donor tends to miniaturize so I believe Rooney's transplanted hair has thinned out as well.

Here's Rooney at 19 and then at 22. See how in just a few years he lost almost all his hair, how far his sides have receded and tell me he was "just" a NW5 and not destined to go way beyond that. How on earth could he replenish all that with transplanted hair, that's why I suggested his only hope was a scalp + body hair transplant, or staying on meds and keeping his native hair. 

But tell me again I'm plain dumb for thinking that, I noticed that's how you communicate with people around here.

roon22.jpg.92c013cd8ddb4ff8cf6c25028b116676.jpg

Edited by UnbaldEagle

How 1000 grafts in 2 or 3 procedures !

Edited by Seniormido
  • Like 1

He clearly rushed into it and I could tell from the beginning of the 2011-2012 season it was basically Toppik job. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 12/14/2020 at 9:15 PM, Seniormido said:

How 1000 grafts in 2 or 3 procedures !

Read what I wrote again, I didn’t say he’d only had 1000 grafts done, but rather he has roughly that or maybe even less currently on his head which implies that the clinic/s did a less than stellar job when it came to growth. There are photos across the years subsequent to all his transplants where he has no concealers and it’s clear he never had good growth. Someone suggested the grafts fell out over the years, there’s no evidence of that.

When I mentioned 1000 grafts it was in context to emphasizing that the clinics did a piss poor job when you look at his state without concealers. Someone argued the clinic isn’t that bad or implied that money should produce good results, it’s just not true. I’m still entirely confident Rooney could have got reasonable results at a good clinic.

Edited by JayLDD

On 12/14/2020 at 8:24 PM, Seniormido said:

May be they refused him as many of the top surgeons will advise you not to have a HT if you have severe hair loss at young age and not on Finasteride which is a good advice!

For a multi-millionaire soccer player who was only a Norwood 5 and close to THIRTY years old, you think he was turned down by surgeons of a caliber that could have basically given him a full head of hair and have results in their catalogue to emphasize that possibility? You think Konior or Couto would have turned down the marketing opportunity?  The chance is less than zero.

I know it’s a meme on the forum to pretend that it’s dangerous to operate on anyone under forty five, but even highly regarded and top-tier clinics like that of Hasson/Wong and Konior operate on men in their early twenties. Rooney like I mentioned was literally around thirty.

A few options IMO. Either the clinic contacted Rooney or his agent and they booked without research, his agent did a quick Google search for best UK clinics and fell for the marketing and booked without thinking (this being most likely I feel), or if I was being conspiratorial his agent took a fat check from the clinic as a commission and guided Rooney in like a sheep while they could advertise they’d done work on him as a means of marketing.