4000 Grafts - Dr. Arika Bansal - 7th Aug 2020

I'm a 27 year old male and first started seeing hair loss during my first year of college. 

This forum has been vital in my hair transplant decision making. So I figured I'll share my journey here.

I had a video consultation with Dr.Arika Bansal about a month back and was suggested 3000 grafts.

But this would cover only the hairline and mid-scalp region and not the crown area. 

I insisted on getting some coverage on the crown region and we ended up finalizing on 4000 grafts. (3500 scalp grafts + 500 beard grafts). 

I scheduled my surgery for August 7.

Only 1400 grafts could be implanted on the first day. I'm writing this as I'm getting ready for the second day of the procedure.

pre-op-side.jpg

pre-op-donor.jpg

pre-op-top1.jpg

pre-op-top.jpg

post-1400-grafts-donor.jpg

post-1400-grafts-recepient.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HTHope said:

Is there any specific reason y only 1400 grafts could only be implanted on the first day?

I was told that making the slits consumed a lot of time. It had something to do with blood oozing when the slits were being made.

I would suggest you to shave your whole head and keep it clean for the surgery and post surgery , you will also look better with shaved head. partially shaven head doesn't look good and it would be difficult for you to clean the overall head post op. All the best though 😄

2 hours ago, nishchd said:

I would suggest you to shave your whole head and keep it clean for the surgery and post surgery , you will also look better with shaved head. partially shaven head doesn't look good and it would be difficult for you to clean the overall head post op. All the best though 😄

The rest of hair was trimmed today.

I have to agree that it definitely looks much better now.

Second day Update:

All 4000 grafts have been implanted. I had enough grafts in the donor region, so no beard grafts were used as previously planned. 

I'm seeing some swelling in my forehead. Hopefully, a good night's sleep will help.

post-4000-grafts-top.jpg

post-4000-donor-area.jpg

post-4000-right.jpg

post-4000-left.jpg

7 hours ago, HTHope said:

Looks good. Did they they you if you had more scalp grafts left in reserve?

Yes. I asked them specifically about this, just in case I opt for another hair transplant in the future.

I was told I have about 2000 grafts left in reserve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all
Hope everyone is safe and healthy!
I just completed my first month after HT.

I have been taking fin and using Ketoconazole Shampoo.
I did not want to use Minoxidil since I experienced severe scalp itching when I used it in the past.
I'm also using aloe vera gel on the donor region. 

Shedding started around the 20th day and is still ongoing.
The donor area (especially the side) looks a little sparse. But I believe that it will improve in the coming months.

Hoping to take my mind off HT and focus on work for the next couple of months.
I have attached Day 20 and first month photos here

Day-15-back.jpg

Day-15-front.jpg

Day-15-top.jpg

1M-back.jpg

1M-crown.jpg

1M-front.jpg

1M-left.jpg

1M-top-enh.jpg

• 1 month later...

Two months have passed since I had my HT.

Donor region has healed completely. With 2 months of hair growth, the FUE scars in donor are not visible at all.

I tried trimming it down to gaurd 3 and the scars are noticable. I'm not too worried about it, since I don't mind keeping my hair a little longer in the donor area.

Native hairs in the recipient region are growing well and there doesn't seem to be any shock loss.

I'm excited to see the progress in upcoming months.

IMG_20201008_235645.jpg

IMG_20201008_235600.jpg

IMG_20201007_102652.jpg

8 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Nice healing, this is the worst stage now as I’m sure your aware. Give it a couple more months though and then the fun starts 😊

Thank you!

I don't know how I would cope with the ugly duckling phase if not for forums like this.  Seeing all the patient photos shared here along with the different stages of growth, does put your mind at ease.

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

Your most welcome. How long did it take for your beard to recover? And can you notice much difference In it? Like any noticeable scarring? I see they only took approx 500 grafts from it. 

No beard grafts were used. All 4000 grafts were taken from scalp.

During the initial evaluation (which was done through photos and video call), I was told I will need 4000 grafts of which 500 can be taken from beard.

On the day of surgery, since I had enough grafts in donor region, all grafts were taken from the scalp itself.

52 minutes ago, Sledge said:

Best of luck. What medication or supplements are you taking ??

Thank you! I'm taking finasteride 1 mg each day, which I started about 8 months back.

I'm also taking multivitamin tablets recommended by Eugenix.

I have recently added nizoral shampoo once a week to my routine.

• 1 month later...

It has been a little over 3 months since my HT

There is not much visual difference from the second month. But I can see small baby hairs have started growing. 

The donor area still looks a little sparse to me. Do you guys think this is shock loss and will improve in the coming months?

IMG_20201112_150046.jpg

IMG_20201112_150433.jpg

IMG_20201112_150138.jpg

IMG_20201112_150310.jpg