Donor Area 6 months post fue

Hi Guys, 

I wanted to share some pics of my donor area 6 months after my surgery.

I had 3,000 grafts taken (so I was told). As you can see, it’s clear my donor has been over harvested (despite them being adamant it’s shock loss) I’m also still suffering from skin discolouration which isn’t helping get rid of the “letterbox” at the back of my head.

I shaved my hair recently to 0.5 as I will be getting smp soon into the donor to help alleviate some of the scaring.

Has anyone experienced or seen a donor area like this 6 months on? Any tips on how I can reduce the discolouration?

I had my surgery with dr acar at cosmedica. My advice would be to stay away from all package style clinics in Turkey. You leave yourself exposed to jobs like this. Turkey does have good dr’s. You just need to dig through the crap first!

9A8AF96C-5E85-4B2F-8728-0148072BC896.jpeg

663508DD-676F-461E-83CA-F042C2B01E00.jpeg

E9F8B978-4608-4DD8-AC77-620E8ED4A47E.jpeg

• Like 1

SMP should help quite a bit, but it sucks that you had to go through this. Hopefully the donor will recover as well in a few more months time. It is a good thing that you are warning others, they are one of the few clinics that always show up whenever you search for hair transplant in Turkey and this will hopefully prevent others from choosing them

Hi Mr Sinister,

First of all, I feel sorry you need to go through all this. I know all of us are searching for more hair after a HT and not have to live with this. Hopefully SMP and some more time will do magic for you. 

I am also thankful for you naming clinic in this case. I believe both good AND bad results need to be shown for all to understand this business. Not every case turn out good and unfortunately you were having some unluck with your donor beeing damaged. This is what these forums are all about. Not only posting and cheering good results and recommending clinics. 

Have you been given some feedback from Cosmedica regarding this? And what is the status and result of the recipent area? Good growth/coverage?

Again, I hope everything turn out good for you in the end!

Hey Guys,

thanks for the feedback. I’ve attached some pics of the rest of my hair. Some pre surgery and some 4 months post surgery. I’m actually really happy with the recipient area at the front, although I don’t think that is 3000 grafts. If you look at my crown area, you will see some tiny dots. Those are a few 100’s grafts they placed using choi pen technique. Hardly any of those grafts have grown. They’re just stuck in my scalp like dead grafts. It’s infuriating when clinics disrespect your grafts with such careless work.

anyway, if the smp works out ok, I’ll be satisfied because as I said the frontal area looks ok.

B9E17EAD-F988-4E26-B5ED-EEA80A15D387.jpeg

DF40AED9-5F37-4A5A-9667-3B18010CAA66.jpeg

3857D13D-CAE4-4E16-8F26-27D82696BD2C.jpeg

24BFB8F4-05FE-405F-A901-5B1DC4129B67.jpeg

B6BA2D8C-CF49-468F-A675-B97108BE2A80.jpeg

C5277802-8712-49F7-B5D9-9D35612E5E1E.jpeg

EF471A23-E9A2-4670-9DAF-B71E06CE7A2A.jpeg

D9FAA0B9-816E-487C-AB74-E433C9B48C3C.jpeg

951D380C-DB26-415E-B33A-C437BFDB2F2E.jpeg

17751EB2-F86E-4EE8-8C4B-996B4B7D7988.jpeg

B0633A09-56D4-4B18-BB63-E364A885A389.jpeg

7F669B7B-61B8-4711-A0A8-81CE91E03072.jpeg

390721E3-02AF-4D98-8FF7-96D413A07C78.jpeg

The reason I opted for fue was so I could have a fade - grade 0 or 1 around the back and sides. I’ve had to keep the back and sides long this whole time to cover the scarring which completely defies the purpose of fue 😡

So sorry to see something like this mate. I just have my fingers crossed that you could get SMP or a repair job in the future. Like your said, the growth in the front seems reasonable, hoping that it gets better for you in the coming months 

Dang, I'm really sorry to see/hear this. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed with SMP. I'd give it until the 12 month mark to see if your body and skin naturally heal more on their own, and then research to "dig through the crap" and find someone who's qualified to address this with confidence. Hoping as well that at least with longer hair things will look better. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

My heart is bleeding when I see such results...

I've seen Dr. Lorenzo doing such repairs. He's placing grafts from around that area + beard to the empty areas in your donor and to be honest his results are incredible. If the hair is strategically taken from all around that area and implanted in the empty areas, you should end up with overall slightly less dense donor. While that's all theory, I've seen such work done.

Would be worth checking it before going for an SMP.

P.S. Your beard looks incredibly thick and strong!

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

Sorry you had to go thru this. I think your donor needs some more time to heal before doing SMP - especially since you're only 6 months post op. While SMP is not as invasive or traumatic to your donor as the actual graft extractions - I think it would be wise to give your body more time to heal, at least after 12-18 months.

Edited by home1212

• 1 year later...

Hello my friend @Mr Sinister I did FUE 24 april 2021  and I have a simmilar case of yours in my donor area after 7 months righ now. In my case 4.200 grafts.

I could see you post this in march 2020 right?

I'm feeling like my donor area will not recovery anymore. 3,5 months I can't see donor improvement. 

Do you have your final result after 1 year? 

Did you decide for MMP or some reparation with hair in the harvest area?

Please let me know! if you can share your contact also to help me to reach the best result.

I'm worried about my case but the doctor now in 7 months told me I have to wait more 7 months - 14 months total to see that will recover perfect theses areas

IMG_8140.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8137.jpg

Hello Friend, sorry you find yourself in this situation. It’s not a nice feeling!

I can tell by looking you have been over harvested. Some people may say “it’s shock loss so give it a few more months”, but your pattern is very similar to mine. Although I think not as bad as mine. I saw very little change from month 8 onwards so I’d say what you have now is close to the finished product.

I have another post which also shows more pics. 

I since had 2 SMP sessions. This was not great as the pigment faded only after 2 months despite me using a “top” provider of smp. I also had a repair surgery with dr bisanga 5 months ago. He took 900 beard grafts and 100 chest grafts and placed them in the bottom and right side of my donor behind the right ear. There has been minimal improvement so far, but I’ll give it a few more months before judging. The chest grafts weren’t very successful. There are only a few cases I’ve seen where this is successful. @mustang has seen excellent results with this type of procedure. If you do choose this method be realistic with your expectations. Bisanga was clear to tell me this is not ideal or advised. And the result was not guaranteed. I appreciate that honestly , but it was me who pushed as I wanted to test it.

Honestly, yours doesn’t look that bad. You still have good donor at the back. Do you have beard donor? You want to ensure you save grafts for future surgeries on top. Maybe try 2 smp sessions and see how that goes.  But overall, just get used to having slightly longer hair back and sides. I also sometimes use toppik hair fibres when I go out to improve density. It’s a pain to put in on the back and sides, but does the an ok job.

Below are my current pics. My hair is long in these pics. Grade 4. If it gets shorter than you really start to see the over harvesting more. You can see better density on the right side since the donor repair. Left side there was no repair. The bottom above my neck is still thin.

Good luck 🤞🏾 

144F5C52-97D2-4164-9E6B-1D7FBCDE01D0.jpeg

AB040998-390F-445C-A531-A493DD33B54D.jpeg

85FF358E-613B-464C-BA34-F0FEBA58F409.jpeg

Edited by Mr Sinister

• 1 month later...

Mr sinister,

since this topic has been bumped, do you have any updated photos showing your donor area?  I’m hoping that your 6 month photos are still just showing signs that healing needs to take plane and shocked hair needs to brow back. After all, it can take yo to a year doe the donor area to fully heal and shocked hair to grow back.  Because the area is discolored also it does suggest that the area isn’t fully healed and needed more time.   Now that almost another year has passed, what’s the status of your donor area?  I know you were going to undergo SMP also, which I would have advised waiting on until 1 year post-op.  Hopefully you can update us with what’s going on so we can see the outcome

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

5 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Mr sinister,

since this topic has been bumped, do you have any updated photos showing your donor area?  I’m hoping that your 6 month photos are still just showing signs that healing needs to take plane and shocked hair needs to brow back. After all, it can take yo to a year doe the donor area to fully heal and shocked hair to grow back.  Because the area is discolored also it does suggest that the area isn’t fully healed and needed more time.   Now that almost another year has passed, what’s the status of your donor area?  I know you were going to undergo SMP also, which I would have advised waiting on until 1 year post-op.  Hopefully you can update us with what’s going on so we can see the outcome

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Yes, I posted my update above on the 3rd of December 2021. See pictures and comments above regarding smp and donor repair. So more pics below anyway.

DF7E5A80-47B9-42D0-9207-C3B92656E6D4.jpeg

B787AEAE-1072-46FC-B376-94A8841320CA.jpeg

234075FE-4522-4E1D-B35D-751532D34F14.jpeg

Edited by Mr Sinister

• 3 months later...

"So as you know, I was nervous about overharvesting, my donor area was so red, and there were gaps on that area I though I lost my hairs completely. But when I texted the clinic about my complaint, to be honest I was so angry, but I must say they were very into my problem, got a quick text that simply says when can we call you? So I said Yeah you can call me in the afternoon  then I am available. Most of the communications went from phonecall, they were helpful. 
They wanted new pics and videos to evaluate my donor area and try to understand what is wrong and how they can help me. The interest made me feel much comfortable but still I wasn't happy about the result. So even it is rarely they said that healing process of donor area might be so late for some people at first, I thought they were in denial and I think that I might have been a little too rushy. They gave me haircare treatment package for no cost and they wanted to see the process over a year so like they said I send them pics every month as they wish. 

So eventually the clinic gave me emotional support and was to be honest always there for me. And by the way, I was happy about the hairline. 
Now donor area is looking so much better, as time passed, my donor area seems to look more healthy, so being patient is very important. The transplanted area is very dense and natural, and overall I am happy with the result now."

Edited by Mr Sinister
  • Like 1

You can either find a qualified clinic that can plant beard grafts into the overharvested areas, or try SMP

On 1/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, Mr Sinister said:

Yes, I posted my update above on the 3rd of December 2021. See pictures and comments above regarding smp and donor repair. So more pics below anyway.

DF7E5A80-47B9-42D0-9207-C3B92656E6D4.jpeg

B787AEAE-1072-46FC-B376-94A8841320CA.jpeg

234075FE-4522-4E1D-B35D-751532D34F14.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Mr Sinister said:

This is the new text:
"So as you know, I was nervous about overharvesting, my donor area was so red, and there were gaps on that area I though I lost my hairs completely. But when I texted the clinic about my complaint, to be honest I was so angry, but I must say they were very into my problem, got a quick text that simply says when can we call you? So I said Yeah you can call me in the afternoon  then I am available. Most of the communications went from phonecall, they were helpful. 
They wanted new pics and videos to evaluate my donor area and try to understand what is wrong and how they can help me. The interest made me feel much comfortable but still I wasn't happy about the result. So even it is rarely they said that healing process of donor area might be so late for some people at first, I thought they were in denial and I think that I might have been a little too rushy. They gave me haircare treatment package for no cost and they wanted to see the process over a year so like they said I send them pics every month as they wish. 

So eventually the clinic gave me emotional support and was to be honest always there for me. And by the way, I was happy about the hairline. 
Now donor area is looking so much better, as time passed, my donor area seems to look more healthy, so being patient is very important. The transplanted area is very dense and natural, and overall I am happy with the result now."

I’m a bit confused. Is this a review that you posted? Is it in regards to your first clinic or Mwamba?

@mrsinister do you have your current pictures??  You said now you hit the result you expected. Right?? Please show the results!
In my case its 1 year now an I have a mild improve from the last time with 7 months, by the way my case was overharvest too. I waiting now for 14 months (2 months more) like the clinic requested me. But Im sure to be satsfied I need to make a repair in donnor area unfortunately

A14E7DB8-1A94-48C5-8C32-C74C3ABD9FFF.jpeg

E00C8560-26A5-4F4C-A26C-F128181C657D.jpeg

6681071A-B1E5-451C-A674-7E80AEC5E235.jpeg

137F3A90-2F4A-4AD2-8B6F-2FCC179CAC9E.jpeg