Microneedling *May 2019* Progress

Just added an update to my HT thread and thought I’d add one here as well.

As I stated in my other thread, I recently returned to Istanbul to get some dental work done and paid a visit to the new ASMED clinic and met with Dr Erdogan and staff, I allowed them to take their pro clinic photos of my results, so as I did I’m my other thread I’ll post their photo of my crown and midscalp...which has progressed significantly possibly due to time maturation of my growing and maturing HT  hairs and the combination of having started microneedling/Minoxidil/Nizoral 3-months prior. I’m very happy with how it’s all turned out.

07A042E4-0B3D-4F81-B234-CA24188F9486.jpeg

Edit: I’ve added my pre-HT clinic photo for comparison (just 1,500 grafts were placed in my crown)

3B692FB9-5463-4AE2-9795-E39E79063645.jpeg

Edited by CosmoKramer

Hi - This looks amazing, congrats on the progress. 

I have a question please.  I've recently had a transplant on my frontal third only.  It's been just over two months.  Its clearly too early to microneedle in the recipient area, but would you say it is safe to microneedle in the crown area?  Is there a risk that blood flow that would normally be available for the recipient may get diverted to the crown after microneedling thus negatively impacting my recent HT on the frontal third? 

Thanks.

Hi I have been following both your HT as well as your microneedling journeys and I must you've had a very pleasant results in both the things. I feel happy looking at your posts. 

I myself had a repair HT 3 months ago & hoping to get it right this time. According to you , how many months should one wait before starting a microneedling regime after a ht?? My doc suggested 3months post op would be just fine.

20 hours ago, Addy said:

Hi - This looks amazing, congrats on the progress. 

I have a question please.  I've recently had a transplant on my frontal third only.  It's been just over two months.  Its clearly too early to microneedle in the recipient area, but would you say it is safe to microneedle in the crown area?  Is there a risk that blood flow that would normally be available for the recipient may get diverted to the crown after microneedling thus negatively impacting my recent HT on the frontal third? 

Thanks.

Thanks!

As for your question...I’m not sure if it’s beneficial or not to start microneedling an area on your scalp that wasn’t used for an HT at your early ht stage, and I don’t know if doing so would divert blood flow from your ht recipient area...even if it’s just 1 day of microneedling out of a week (it probably couldn’t hurt the grafts at your post op stage)...but I personally would wait at the very least until you are 3-4 months post-op your HT to microneedle at all...because it’s important to let the new hair growth begin uninterrupted and not traumatized in any way....there’s no need to rush starting a microneedling routine so just give your HT grafts time to sprout and grow and then you can start microneedling.

Good luck!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vi$h said:

Hi I have been following both your HT as well as your microneedling journeys and I must you've had a very pleasant results in both the things. I feel happy looking at your posts. 

I myself had a repair HT 3 months ago & hoping to get it right this time. According to you , how many months should one wait before starting a microneedling regime after a ht?? My doc suggested 3months post op would be just fine.

Hi, thanks for the kind words!

I would agree with your doc...waiting until you are at least 3-4 months post your HT to begin a microneedling routine seems reasonable and okay. Like I mentioned to Addy in my above reply there is no need to rush microneedling when you’ve had an HT, let the growth progress happen and then after some time you can begin microneedling, safely of course.

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Hi, thanks for the kind words!

I would agree with your doc...waiting until you are at least 3-4 months post your HT to begin a microneedling routine seems reasonable and okay. Like I mentioned to Addy in my above reply there is no need to rush microneedling when you’ve had an HT, let the growth progress happen and then after some time you can begin microneedling, safely of course.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advise and it totally makes sense. Why rush into something! I am certainly now going to wait for atleast couple of months or maybe till 7-8 month mark, before going for microneedling.

Thanks again & keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vi$h said:

Thanks for the advise and it totally makes sense. Why rush into something! I am certainly now going to wait for atleast couple of months or maybe till 7-8 month mark, before going for microneedling.

Thanks again & keep up the good work :)

You’re welcome! 👍🏻

@CosmoKramer I just read this thread.  Very encouraging results!   I am going to buy the A6 pen on Amazon.  There is a 12 pin and 36 pin option.  I have a low pain threshold so I am leaning towards the 12 pin.  What is your preference?  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, js1283 said:

@CosmoKramer I just read this thread.  Very encouraging results!   I am going to buy the A6 pen on Amazon.  There is a 12 pin and 36 pin option.  I have a low pain threshold so I am leaning towards the 12 pin.  What is your preference?  Thanks!

I’ve only used the 12-needle cartridges as that’s what many have done also, it’s better to use as it doesn’t cut or snag any native or transplanted hairs. What’s great about the Pen is that you it has 4 variable speed levels so you can set it according to your pain tolerance....the pain initially is temporary and lessens after a few sessions as your scalp gets accustom to the routine and better blood flow circulation for healing...but if after a few sessions you still don’t like the pain you could purchase an over the counter lidocaine numbing cream to use and apply a little on your scalp before a session.

Good luck!

On 10/3/2019 at 1:07 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Yes, gently on 1mm needle setting and once every 7-9 days at 2mm but a bit more firmly also 10-15min and in always in a stamping motion not gliding or dragging the pen across the scalp.

@CosmoKramer are you sure you are giving your scalp enough time to heal if you are performing microneedling it 3 times a week? 

It may also help to take collagen supplement powder.  I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Grass-Fed-Hydrolyzed-Collagen-Peptides-Unflavored/dp/B071VGJTBH

In clinical trials, it looks like microneedling + minoxidil resulted in significantly more hair growth compared to just minoxidil:  
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5556180/

Edited by js1283
typo

11 minutes ago, js1283 said:

@CosmoKramer are you sure you are giving your scalp enough time to heal if you are performing microneedling it 3 times a week? 

It may also help to take collagen supplement powder.  I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Grass-Fed-Hydrolyzed-Collagen-Peptides-Unflavored/dp/B071VGJTBH

In clinical trials, it looks like microneedling + minoxidil resulted in significantly more hair growth compared to just minoxidil:  
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5556180/

Yes, my scalp heals very well even 24 hours after a 1mm microneedling session which is every 3rd day. There are some people doing 0.5-1mm microneedling/derma rolling daily with very good results.

Yes, I already take a collagen peptide protein supplement, have done so for 2-years now, instead of whey protein for post-workout recovery.

Yes, I agree, microneedling really gives you better results in combination with Minoxidil, I use Minoxidil foam once daily.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:09 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Microneedling alone without an “assist” from Minoxidil or Finasteride or saw palmetto will not prevent present or future hair loss due to androgens like dht/estrogen/test if that’s in your cards, it may help bring better blood circulation to your current native hairs and from what I’ve read the better the blood supply to follicles the less harm or delayed harm DHT will have on follicles, so if you just want to microneedle without anything else it may help with circulation and give you a bit more time until better medications or “cures” are on the market.

I haven’t purchased anything from Ali Expresss, I’ve always bought from trusted sellers with good ratings on Amazon and or eBay. If you are going to purchase a derma roller be sure it has titanium needles and check what needle size and buy a few varying needle sizes to test with.

Good luck.

Very informative reply, thanks. I was planning on getting Saw palmetto since i heard its all natural and much safer. I have 2 questions. I can choose between 0.5mm to 1.5mm needles. Which should i start with? Also, Saw palmeetto was meant to used topically? Should i focus on getting the topical version?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:49 AM, Thisisnotatest333 said:

Very informative reply, thanks. I was planning on getting Saw palmetto since i heard its all natural and much safer. I have 2 questions. I can choose between 0.5mm to 1.5mm needles. Which should i start with? Also, Saw palmeetto was meant to used topically? Should i focus on getting the topical version?

Thanks!

already answered your needle question in PM but will also say here for others that may have the same, give both a try see which best suits your pain tolerance, pain will get less over time and sessions.

You can get a shampoo that contains saw palmetto like Pur D’ Or I believe I read a study that said even some saw palmetto in shampoo form was better to keep some dht in the scalp at bay than non at all. 

2 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks!

already answered your needle question in PM but will also say here for others that may have the same, give both a try see which best suits your pain tolerance, pain will get less over time and sessions.

You can get a shampoo that contains saw palmetto like Pur D’ Or I believe I read a study that said even some saw palmetto in shampoo form was better to keep some dht in the scalp at bay than non at all. 

its hurt so bad! lol it has not even a little gotten easier to tolerate and Ive been doing it for just over a year lol

• Haha 1

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Wow, wow, wow @CosmoKramer!! I've just seen this after you commented on my post. This is amazing!! Your results from this are outstanding. I am now 2 months post HT, so will probably wait a good few months, but will give this ago using the pen. Thanks for sharing - this is awesome! 🙂 

• Like 1

9133 FUE grafts over 4 operations:

1)  Dr De Reys - 3000 grafts in 2012; 2) Dr De Reys - 1800 grafts in 2014; 3) Dr Raghu Reddy - 1200 grafts in 2017; 4)  Dr Arshad - 3133 grafts in 2019

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/54899-9133-fue-grafts-3000-dr-de-reys-in-2013-1800-dr-de-reys-2014-1200-dr-reddy-2017-3133-dr-arshad-2019/

6 hours ago, Shifty said:

its hurt so bad! lol it has not even a little gotten easier to tolerate and Ive been doing it for just over a year lol

No pain no gain right?! Haha

I on occasion spray a little peppermint oil water before a session when I feel my pain tolerance might not be too good, but I’ve read some people use an over-the-counter lidocaine numbing cream to mitigate the pain.

3 hours ago, Edsarn2017 said:

Wow, wow, wow @CosmoKramer!! I've just seen this after you commented on my post. This is amazing!! Your results from this are outstanding. I am now 2 months post HT, so will probably wait a good few months, but will give this ago using the pen. Thanks for sharing - this is awesome! 🙂 

Thanks man! Glad to share! 

Yeah, give some time for your HT to progress before you begin any microneedling routine. Good luck!

Great thread, can't believe I missed it. I bought the A6 in August but got the 36 pin cartridges. Might swap to the 12 as you've suggested.

I certainly haven't been consistent. I'm currently applying daily Kerastase Densifique on the recommendation of Dr. Rodney Sinclair of Sinclair Dermatology in Melbourne and have been concerned about the needling after application. But probably shouldn't be too concerned if I wait until night time. He also put me onto .45mg Minoxidil Rapid Tabs (dissolves under the tongue) but was always thinking about using foam maybe 6-12hrs after needling.

Anyhow, very helpful thread. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HalfFull said:

Great thread, can't believe I missed it. I bought the A6 in August but got the 36 pin cartridges. Might swap to the 12 as you've suggested.

I certainly haven't been consistent. I'm currently applying daily Kerastase Densifique on the recommendation of Dr. Rodney Sinclair of Sinclair Dermatology in Melbourne and have been concerned about the needling after application. But probably shouldn't be too concerned if I wait until night time. He also put me onto .45mg Minoxidil Rapid Tabs (dissolves under the tongue) but was always thinking about using foam maybe 6-12hrs after needling.

Anyhow, very helpful thread. Thank you.

Thank you and you’re welcome!

I haven’t tried the 36-pin needle cartridge as I think it may be overkill and may tug on any existing hairs so yeah if you can get the 12-needle ones.

Thats the thing....you have to be timely and consistent with it to see positive results. 

Im not familiar with the topical you mention nor the doctor but I would recommend not using any topical directly before you do a microneedling session...it’s best to apply anything topical after....but if you have to apply a doctor prescribed topical than I would do it several hours before microneedling.

Hmmm...I have not ever tried oral Minoxidil but I believe I have read some guys taking it in conjunction with microneedling and seeing results but I prefer the foam.

Good Luck!

1 minute ago, CosmoKramer said:

Hmmm...I have not ever tried oral Minoxidil but I believe I have read some guys taking it in conjunction with microneedling and seeing results but I prefer the foam.

I've been on topical minoxidil for about 15 years, this is the first time I've switched, it's "supposed" to be better. We will see, at this stage after two HT's over the years I'll try anything to avoid a 3rd! I see him again soon, maybe a week or two and will see what the progress is. 

4 minutes ago, HalfFull said:

I've been on topical minoxidil for about 15 years, this is the first time I've switched, it's "supposed" to be better. We will see, at this stage after two HT's over the years I'll try anything to avoid a 3rd! I see him again soon, maybe a week or two and will see what the progress is. 

Ahh interesting..

Do you have threads of your HT’s?

Take lots of before and after photos of your own to see your progress is a define must.

15 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Ahh interesting..

Do you have threads of your HT’s?

Take lots of before and after photos of your own to see your progress is a define must.

No never did a thread, don't think this site was around when I did my first one... However after all the recommendations on here I flew to see Dr Lindsey in DC about five years ago for my second. I wrote a bit of a history here. Should update it as this new Dr in Melbourne Australia (where I live) seems like the real deal, I'm perplexed he's not on here...

31 minutes ago, HalfFull said:

No never did a thread, don't think this site was around when I did my first one... However after all the recommendations on here I flew to see Dr Lindsey in DC about five years ago for my second. I wrote a bit of a history here. Should update it as this new Dr in Melbourne Australia (where I live) seems like the real deal, I'm perplexed he's not on here...

Interesting...you’ve had quite the ht journey....definitely give microneedling a consistent go this go-round! 👍🏻