Microneedling *May 2019* Progress

4 hours ago, Shifty said:

Huge difference. Start using some toppik.

Thanks buddy!

Im no fan of toppik, I used it years ago but my hair was not as grey then, now it would be tricky to blend and liky look pretty obvious...and in all honesty  I don’t feel I need it, I can honestly and happily say the constant anxiety I had thinking everyone in public is looking at my balding crown is now gone. 

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Craniokid said:

great photos !!! im looking to try this and have been on ebay looking at the dr pen a6 unit, when buying replacement needles how many needle size do you think is best for hair loss? do you replace the needle after every use? or just clean with alcohol? many thanks

Thanks!

I stick to buying the 12-needle replacement cartridges, as I think it helps not to harm or pull out/cut any of my HT or native hairs. I normally use a cartridge 3-4 times/sessions and soak it in rubbing alcohol after each session until the next and have no issues, I could possibly get away with using the same cartridge another extra 1-2 sessions but they are about $0.80-1.00 usd each when buying in bulk so not soo expensive.

27 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks!

I stick to buying the 12-needle replacement cartridges, as I think it helps not to harm or pull out/cut any of my HT or native hairs. I normally use a cartridge 3-4 times/sessions and soak it in rubbing alcohol after each session until the next and have no issues, I could possibly get away with using the same cartridge another extra 1-2 sessions but they are about $0.80-1.00 usd each when buying in bulk so not soo expensive.

I just switched over to a Dr. Pen as well, but I picked up the A7. It's been an adjustment getting used to the different RPM and the way it feels on my scalp. Definitely need to figure out the right kind of pressure so the needles don't snag.

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I just switched over to a Dr. Pen as well, but I picked up the A7. It's been an adjustment getting used to the different RPM and the way it feels on my scalp. Definitely need to figure out the right kind of pressure so the needles don't snag.

I haven’t much looked into the difference between the A6 & the A7, pretty happy with the A6 but will check it out, keep us updated on if you like it better and why. 

6 hours ago, Craniokid said:

Thanks for the input guys is Amazon / eBay the best place to buy one of these ? I can't see any reviews for any of these pens online want to make sure I'm buying the genuine article! 

I got mine off Amazon from the "Dr. Pen" vendor directly.

The A7 is pretty similar to the A6 but is wired only and has a higher max RPM by a decent chunk. I haven't experimented with anything other than the lowest level yet because even the low setting seems pretty quick.

13 hours ago, Craniokid said:

Thanks for the input guys is Amazon / eBay the best place to buy one of these ? I can't see any reviews for any of these pens online want to make sure I'm buying the genuine article! 

Here is the direct link, it’s a bit pricey but this bundle does include 10 extra cartridges for you.

• Administrators

Thanks @CosmoKramer this thread is helping thousands of guys. So this new pen is better?

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thanks @CosmoKramer this thread is helping thousands of guys. So this new pen is better?

Thanks @Melvin-Moderator I’m happy to be of help and share, hope it helps many!

The A7 supposedly has a better faster motor but I don’t use my A6 at a high speed anyway, and the A7 is only corded I believe unlike the A6 which is wireless with included batteries and can be used corded with the included attachment so to me the A6 is better and more versatile. 

On 7/23/2019 at 7:01 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks man!

I definitely think it’s worth a good consistent go if you feel you have some lacking areas, but I get that some probably don’t want another hair routine to add haha.

Will try and update as I see progress.

Does micro needleing work on its own without minox?

7 hours ago, Thisisnotatest333 said:

Does micro needleing work on its own without minox?

It may but at a much slower and less pace to get results, I tried microneedling with a 0.5mm derma roller a few years ago and only saw slight results after 6-month, then recently I decided to purchase a derma pen with adjustable needle lengths and use Minoxidil and got really good results in less than 3-months.

• Administrators
On 9/26/2019 at 7:18 PM, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks @Melvin-Moderator I’m happy to be of help and share, hope it helps many!

The A7 supposedly has a better faster motor but I don’t use my A6 at a high speed anyway, and the A7 is only corded I believe unlike the A6 which is wireless with included batteries and can be used corded with the included attachment so to me the A6 is better and more versatile. 

Just purchased the A6, gonna finally join the microneedling club 🙌

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

28 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Just purchased the A6, gonna finally join the microneedling club 🙌

Nice! 

Hopefully in 3-4 months (if you’re consistent with it that is 😉) you can set fire to your hair putty & fibers 😉👍🏻

I’d like to add....those that are giving microneedling a go that might be pain-sensative...you could always purchase a numbing/lidocaine cream at your local drugstore or online to apply beforehand. I haven’t used it as I don’t mind the slight stinging of the needles and have a good pain threshold and after the initial few sessions it got less “painful” for me.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Nice! 

Hopefully in 3-4 months (if you’re consistent with it that is 😉) you can set fire to your hair putty & fibers 😉👍🏻

You use it for 10 minutes 3x per week? 

View my thread

23 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You use it for 10 minutes 3x per week? 

Yes, gently on 1mm needle setting and once every 7-9 days at 2mm but a bit more firmly also 10-15min and in always in a stamping motion not gliding or dragging the pen across the scalp.

3 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Yes, gently on 1mm needle setting and once every 7-9 days at 2mm but a bit more firmly also 10-15min and in always in a stamping motion not gliding or dragging the pen across the scalp.

I'd  be interested to see your technique. Historically I've basically used it like a lawnmower going across the top of the scalp vertically, horizontally, and diagonally for multiple reps in each direction. Then I'll do some small, slow circles in the weak areas to wrap it up. With the A7 vs the Derminator I can't use much pressure at all with 2mm in the area just in front of the hairline because I find the needles tend to snag unless I'm just "hovering" in place with the stamp, so I'm working on developing a feel for that.

As a side note: I was reading more comparisons between the A6 and A7 and I think the actual pins on the A7 pads may be a touch finer than on the A6 as well. Depth is obviously whatever you set it to but I thought that was interesting. No idea if that ultimately makes a big impact but I'm still early in my exlerimentation phase with the new device.  I *may* try out one of the heads with more pins just because they're cheap and I'm curious.

11 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

It may but at a much slower and less pace to get results, I tried microneedling with a 0.5mm derma roller a few years ago and only saw slight results after 6-month, then recently I decided to purchase a derma pen with adjustable needle lengths and use Minoxidil and got really good results in less than 3-months.

i m not looking for results in hair growth but the hair preservation. I still have a head full of hair but  that wont be the  case in the next 5 years lets say. Where is it safe to buy derma rollers? I saw on Ali Express a variety of them but i m not sure if they are safe

12 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I'd  be interested to see your technique. Historically I've basically used it like a lawnmower going across the top of the scalp vertically, horizontally, and diagonally for multiple reps in each direction. Then I'll do some small, slow circles in the weak areas to wrap it up. With the A7 vs the Derminator I can't use much pressure at all with 2mm in the area just in front of the hairline because I find the needles tend to snag unless I'm just "hovering" in place with the stamp, so I'm working on developing a feel for that.

As a side note: I was reading more comparisons between the A6 and A7 and I think the actual pins on the A7 pads may be a touch finer than on the A6 as well. Depth is obviously whatever you set it to but I thought that was interesting. No idea if that ultimately makes a big impact but I'm still early in my exlerimentation phase with the new device.  I *may* try out one of the heads with more pins just because they're cheap and I'm curious.

My technique is just basically stamping all over and repeating areas after a lap or 2. Yeah hair can get cut or snagged if you glide it in circles that’s why I just hover and stamp.

Interesting about the finer needles on the A7, but I already feel the needle last on the A6 cartridges are already thin and fine and I don’t see how it could be helpful for hair....for face microneedling maybe.

Yeah, it doesn’t hurt to experiment as long as you’re not doing rough damage to your scalp, let me know how you like and any better results from the cartridges with more needles. 👍🏻

Heres a video on stamping with a pen, it’s moreso for face but can good example for hair imo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thisisnotatest333 said:

i m not looking for results in hair growth but the hair preservation. I still have a head full of hair but  that wont be the  case in the next 5 years lets say. Where is it safe to buy derma rollers? I saw on Ali Express a variety of them but i m not sure if they are safe

Microneedling alone without an “assist” from Minoxidil or Finasteride or saw palmetto will not prevent present or future hair loss due to androgens like dht/estrogen/test if that’s in your cards, it may help bring better blood circulation to your current native hairs and from what I’ve read the better the blood supply to follicles the less harm or delayed harm DHT will have on follicles, so if you just want to microneedle without anything else it may help with circulation and give you a bit more time until better medications or “cures” are on the market.

I haven’t purchased anything from Ali Expresss, I’ve always bought from trusted sellers with good ratings on Amazon and or eBay. If you are going to purchase a derma roller be sure it has titanium needles and check what needle size and buy a few varying needle sizes to test with.

Good luck.