Microneedling *May 2019* Progress

• Administrators

Wow that’s quite the change. I really wanna see what this looks like in another 6 months.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Hey cosmo, could you kindly list out your entire regimen? Or link me to a post if it’s already listed? Thanks in advance!

Sure JJ, no prob.

I started by purchasing the Dr Pen A6 microneedling Pen and some extra 12-pin needle cartridges back in early May.

I started off microneedling my whole scalp with the 1.5mm setting on the pen 1x a week (no minoxidil or any topical) , I did this for a month then I purchased Kirkland minoxidil 5% liquid from Costco and started applying it 24 hours after microneedling on my 4 week session, then I decided to up the weekly sessions to gently microneedle every 3rd night with the needle setting set at 1mm and applying minoxidil and hour after, after another few weeks I switched to Kirkland minoxidil foam (which I like better less messy and responding well to it). And over the past few weeks I’ve upped the 1x hard microneedling session to 2mm 1x every 7-9 days and still 1mm every 3rd night. I also spray a saline spray mist to wet my scalp prior to a session so hair doesn’t get tangled or pulled and spray after to clean the scalp before I apply the foam. 

Oh and I’ve recently added some peppermint oil drops in with the saline spray to get better blood flow and i like the feeling.

• Like 1

Thought I’d also share that I have also been microneedling/minoxidil on my receded temple peeks/triangle the past few months and am seeing some nice early improvement given the fact that no grafts were placed in the areas.

Photos are from April 2019 (10 months post-op) before this new routine and after from last week...Fom last week post hair shampoo, Right side before and now, then left side before and now.

0B1CD4FB-E972-4439-BE0B-A4080527BDE2.png

45082370-D657-4686-AEEF-F159F0E1A27C.jpeg

E42FDBB0-E9F6-49D6-BD5F-F7229422412A.png

5767F294-A4EC-4F13-994E-C0F8D7F6A799.png

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 1

This is inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing this.  One thing that's not totally clear from your regimen...Are you using the minoxidil only after each microneedle session?  (So minoxidil approx twice a week?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrZennie said:

This is inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing this.  One thing that's not totally clear from your regimen...Are you using the minoxidil only after each microneedle session?  (So minoxidil approx twice a week?)

Thanks! Glad to share if it helps others.

Good question, I use Minoxidil foam at night before bed just once a day everyday, on the nights I microneedling I apply it after about 1-2hours after microneedling.

Thanks Cosmo!  I just researched using Minoxidil once a day and it seems to be effective.  Dr. Bernstein advises: 5% liquid, once daily at night.  

(People can google 'Minoxidil once a day Bernstein' . There is a short audio clip at the bottom where Dr. Bernstein compares foam to liquid)

3 hours ago, MrZennie said:

Thanks Cosmo!  I just researched using Minoxidil once a day and it seems to be effective.  Dr. Bernstein advises: 5% liquid, once daily at night.  

(People can google 'Minoxidil once a day Bernstein' . There is a short audio clip at the bottom where Dr. Bernstein compares foam to liquid)

You’re welcome!

Yeah, I’ve read that about Dr Bernstein’s thoughts on Minoxidil, haven’t checked the audio clip but shall. Dr Bernstein is highly knowledgeable and offers up some great advice.

I've been doing foam in the mornings and a foam/liquid combo in the evenings. I actually find the liquid isn't much of an issue for my styling preferences as long as you massage it in like you're supposed to, but you've seen that I generally wear my hair up or back.

• Like 1

Really cool that you're documenting this so well. Great progress. How long after HT do you reckon is safe to restart dermarolling? I'd love to get back into it, feel it would really speed up my growth tbh.

The brief time I was disciplined about dermarolling, I saw a definite spike in gains when I combined it with hanging upside down - sounds like a total joke but i got onto it via Stephen Foote's hydraulic theory of baldness - I think there's something to it.combined with dermarolling.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gbhscot said:

Really cool that you're documenting this so well. Great progress. How long after HT do you reckon is safe to restart dermarolling? I'd love to get back into it, feel it would really speed up my growth tbh.

The brief time I was disciplined about dermarolling, I saw a definite spike in gains when I combined it with hanging upside down - sounds like a total joke but i got onto it via Stephen Foote's hydraulic theory of baldness - I think there's something to it.combined with dermarolling.

Thank you!

I would ask your HT doctor/clinic for when you are safe to restart any microneedling routine but personally I would wait at least 6-months after an HT procedure and use a lower number mm needle and tried lightly as you don’t want it to be detrimental to any new graft hair growth, I would probably start Minoxidil a few weeks after an HT and see how you progress with both and then at 6-months plus see if you need to add microneedling.

How many months are you post your HT procedure?

I do think scalp blood circulation helps with the follicles although I’m not familiar with the guy you mentioned, I would be cautious though about dermarolling/microneedling/minoxidil then hanging upside down as I did see a news story where a young healthy woman suffered a stroke after doing yoga hanging upside on her head against a wall, so if you are doing things to send blood flow to your scalp it might not be a good idea to add more blood to your head hanging upside down, just my opinion.

7 hours ago, HT explorer said:

Wow. Really amazing progress so far.

Can you show a photo for the crown?

Thanks! 

If you scroll up you’ll see the photos of my crown progress I posted a couple weeks ago 😉it’s slightly improved and hairs grew a bit longer

Oh man, I must have missed this topic...unbelievable result!!!

What you achieved with microneedling is better than some hair transplant!!!

I will definetely follow this topic and do the same when time comes.

Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jhonny said:

Oh man, I must have missed this topic...unbelievable result!!!

What you achieved with microneedling is better than some hair transplant!!!

I will definetely follow this topic and do the same when time comes.

Thanks

Thanks buddy! 😉👍🏻

Just a quick comparison update.

Photos 1 & 2 are from July 3rd (about 1.5 months since beginning this routine) with normal lighting and flash and hair is 4 inches long on top.

Photos 3 & 4 are from yesterday Sept 7th, also with normal lighting and flash and hair is 2.75-3 inches long on top.

In all honestly I do believe this routine has helped a lot and I also think the maturation of my HT also helped as I will be 15 months post my HT in a few days.

14E524F9-8FF4-4FE9-9BFE-723CD298E49A.jpeg

6A135F07-B4D6-44D3-9A08-3E130A100E61.jpeg

0889446F-25DF-4792-BC92-A7C24231017A.jpeg

9D807AE3-B466-4F69-AEC8-79A35E59896A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MrZennie said:

How many graphs did they put in your crown?  

1,500, not enough as area of loss was large and crown area is notorious for grafts not  fully taking due to less blood circulation.

Edited by CosmoKramer