What sucks the most about getting a HT?

Paying for it

Meeting your expectations/goals/and donor hair to a singular point so that you make the best decision for you

Concern about future loss and "keeping up"

Ugly Duckling phase

Basically all of the things that you can not control....all of the things you can control are not bad. Choosing a surgeon is easy when you put in enough research. Recovery can be somewhat uncomfortable but with meds and proper post op self care aren't bad.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am 1 month post op, I'll say every part of it sucks until you've got those grafts in then you feel like it's worth it, then they start shedding and it starts sucking again and I'll let you know when it stops sucking again lol...not to be a downer, Id make the decision again and I chose an amazing doc but the search was endless. I researched every doc I could find I sent out a million consults, I did a bunch of in person consults, I looked at every patient experience, every pic docs posted, I talked to everybody from reps to people having the surgeries to those happy and unhappy so it's just ongoing and then one day you just say I feel good with this doc and do it. Then the paying for it sucks, then the injections suck and then you see your new grafts in and it gives you an idea of what to expect if it all goes well and I felt like awesome...then 2 weeks later they're gone...and the waiting begins so few parts of it are fun but in the end you hope it's worthwhile.

The only part i didn't like was shaving my head lol Besides that i didn't mind wearing a hat for months (and i never wear one) , making excuses , or waiting. It was exciting to see all of the hair grow in. It was nice to age in reverse for once haha. Just pick a great surgeon and go for it.

I'd say the first couple of months post op are the worst. Youre desperately willing your native hair to regrow to its original state, and also for any redness to subside. If you are able to hide under a hat then it's far less of an issue. The actual procedure itself I've never found too stressful - can be a long day but generally pretty relaxing. (the injections aren't much fun though!).

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• Administrators

The worst part for me is the waiting, I'm surprised many don't feel the same way, every day that passes you are just waiting to see something, any glimmer of hope, the first three months are the hardest, many times you actually look worse than you did before the surgery.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Guest WeRCosmetic

HI All,

If you would like more information about the hair growth process following a hair transplant then please visit our website as this has stage photos for you to see the expected results for the period of time.

KR

TWe R Cosmetic

I've told many people that even if it was free, most balding guys would not do a transplant. With the expense and hassle you've got to really want to do this. For a guy that really, really cares about his hair, has the money, has realistic expectations, and has reached an "anguish level" that he just cant take it anymore...then they are probably a good candidate for a hair transplant.

A hair transplant can provide great reward, but it is not an easy road and it often can lead to multiple procedures to stay abreast of further fall-out that will likely take place as you age. Besides choosing a great surgeon, patience and realistic expectations are key to a patient having a successful procedure.

Besides the expense, the surgery day of sitting in basically a dental chair for 8-12 hours is well....it is what it is. Surgery sessions, especially larger ones, can make for a long tiring, day. Yeah you cant watch a movie, take sleep meds, but still, it's a long day.

Then the various post-op phases begin that last up to a year. In my case and I think others, you look worse for awhile before you look better. I look worse post-op for at least 7 months. Again that kind of price is something a lot of guys just don't want to deal with.

Other challenges can be post-op pain and discomfort for a few days following surgery, post-op swelling for a few days, post-op discomfort sleeping, hassles with showering, discomfort until staples come out(FUT) are all common post-op obstacles.

Then after the first few weeks the long post-op wait begins. The "ugly duckling" phase. Dealing with not looking your normal self for several months around relatives, co-workers, and friends, is something a patient has to come to grips with and feel that the reward is worth the wait.

I was surprised to find the dealing with people post-op is much easier than I expected. People are too busy with their own drama and issues to spend much time focused on your self-improvement. Once over the initial shock they move on.

Personally I think it is worth it, but realize it certainly isn't for everybody.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 10 months later...

I'm only 10 days post op & here are my biggest fusses. I had mild anxiety the week before about the pressure to my head. The head pressure was there, but it wasn't as bad as the neck & shoulder pain I had for a few days! I wasn't expecting that, but it finally faded... Sorta, now I just have tension from dealing with being in Houston during this epic flood :-/

Lack of sleep has been a big problem for me because I roll around a lot when I sleep, but it's been SO difficult finding a comfortable position to stay in & staying asleep because I'm a light sleeper. I keep waking up early, even when I'm still tired! Also, laying my head on the sutures wasn't fun, so i kept sleeping with the neck pillow longer than 3 days. I just had sutures taken out today, so I'm really hoping this gets better....

The waiting game will definitely be tough... Like watching grass grow or a turtle race, lol. I've seen some growth already & I know it'll continue, so I'm looking forward to around December. Once I go back to work next week, it'll be easier & I won't be thinking about it so much.

And I know that in a few months & into next year, I'll look back on these inconveniences when I start seeing hair in places that I've never had (read my story if you want). So all this pain, discomfort, & annoyances will be worth it eventually... That's what I'm gonna have to remind myself of every time it starts bothering me. I know it'll get easier getting further away from the surgery date too... I've been thru cosmetic procedures before on other body parts.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

I think you have summarised everything so beautifully. And yes, I have just entered my shedding phase. It is weird when I look at myself in the mirror. It just has to be the ugliest that i might have managed to look over the years. And I decided to go for a full trim. Just hoping that this will get better. But I have a long way to go. Just one month completed.

I've told many people that even if it was free, most balding guys would not do a transplant. With the expense and hassle you've got to really want to do this. For a guy that really, really cares about his hair, has the money, has realistic expectations, and has reached an "anguish level" that he just cant take it anymore...then they are probably a good candidate for a hair transplant.

A hair transplant can provide great reward, but it is not an easy road and it often can lead to multiple procedures to stay abreast of further fall-out that will likely take place as you age. Besides choosing a great surgeon, patience and realistic expectations are key to a patient having a successful procedure.

Besides the expense, the surgery day of sitting in basically a dental chair for 8-12 hours is well....it is what it is. Surgery sessions, especially larger ones, can make for a long tiring, day. Yeah you cant watch a movie, take sleep meds, but still, it's a long day.

Then the various post-op phases begin that last up to a year. In my case and I think others, you look worse for awhile before you look better. I look worse post-op for at least 7 months. Again that kind of price is something a lot of guys just don't want to deal with.

Other challenges can be post-op pain and discomfort for a few days following surgery, post-op swelling for a few days, post-op discomfort sleeping, hassles with showering, discomfort until staples come out(FUT) are all common post-op obstacles.

Then after the first few weeks the long post-op wait begins. The "ugly duckling" phase. Dealing with not looking your normal self for several months around relatives, co-workers, and friends, is something a patient has to come to grips with and feel that the reward is worth the wait.

I was surprised to find the dealing with people post-op is much easier than I expected. People are too busy with their own drama and issues to spend much time focused on your self-improvement. Once over the initial shock they move on.

Personally I think it is worth it, but realize it certainly isn't for everybody.

FUT does seem like a painful technique. Why did you not choose to go for FUE instead? Any specific reason?

I'm only 10 days post op & here are my biggest fusses. I had mild anxiety the week before about the pressure to my head. The head pressure was there, but it wasn't as bad as the neck & shoulder pain I had for a few days! I wasn't expecting that, but it finally faded... Sorta, now I just have tension from dealing with being in Houston during this epic flood :-/

Lack of sleep has been a big problem for me because I roll around a lot when I sleep, but it's been SO difficult finding a comfortable position to stay in & staying asleep because I'm a light sleeper. I keep waking up early, even when I'm still tired! Also, laying my head on the sutures wasn't fun, so i kept sleeping with the neck pillow longer than 3 days. I just had sutures taken out today, so I'm really hoping this gets better....

The waiting game will definitely be tough... Like watching grass grow or a turtle race, lol. I've seen some growth already & I know it'll continue, so I'm looking forward to around December. Once I go back to work next week, it'll be easier & I won't be thinking about it so much.

And I know that in a few months & into next year, I'll look back on these inconveniences when I start seeing hair in places that I've never had (read my story if you want). So all this pain, discomfort, & annoyances will be worth it eventually... That's what I'm gonna have to remind myself of every time it starts bothering me. I know it'll get easier getting further away from the surgery date too... I've been thru cosmetic procedures before on other body parts.

The worst experience that you can have when undergoing hair transplant is losing your normal look temporarily. Especially when the shedding phase kicks in, I have realised that it can be traumatic.

However, if you choose the right doctor then there is nothing to worry about. Especially if you are opting for the non strip technique, you will have way lesser traumas.

However, you will be rid of the stress regarding the bald area. You will have hope and surity regarding the growth.

The shedding shouldn't last for more than 4 to 6 months though accrding to what i have seen.

The procedure itself is extremely painless. However, the nervousness before the procedure will eat you up for sure.

From top to bottom, finding a surgeon to recovery, I'd love to know what you all think as I'm in the process of deciding.

Unfortunately, I have a large area on top (same area most men typically thin out) that was affected from an old traumatic accident. They can get more grafts from FUT, & it still didn't cover all of it because I was missing that much & they had to create a hairline. I've worn hairpieces most of my life, but luckily I still have enough hair & it's kinda thick. I'll definitely have another transplant, but it'll be an FUE. I highly doubt my skin on my head could stretch again, & even if it could, I wouldn't wanna go thru FUT again. That's what my Dr & I discussed at my consultation last month anyway.

Also to add to the original question, the head discomfort & tension is worse in the morning & gets better later in the day... & after pain meds ;). Most surgeries in my experience requiring any stretching of the skin take about a couple of weeks to heal, so I was prepared for that.

FUT does seem like a painful technique. Why did you not choose to go for FUE instead? Any specific reason?

From top to bottom, finding a surgeon to recovery, I'd love to know what you all think as I'm in the process of deciding.

As a veteran of 2 HT's, I can chime in here...

1. The scar. This is my only regret. Wish I had the knowledge back then to go FUE.

2. Keeping up. Everytime I shed, or go through a shedding phase, I get a little panicked. Some weeks my hair looks thicker than others. It's a tiresome cycle.

Otherwise, I am happy I did it. Fingers crossed the native hairs hold up now.

Beard hair can also be used to gain density. Also with the development in technology, it is possible to extract a large number of grafts from a considerably poor donor. But it is true that FUT has dominated the ages earlier. I am just glad that you have satisfying results.

Unfortunately, I have a large area on top (same area most men typically thin out) that was affected from an old traumatic accident. They can get more grafts from FUT, & it still didn't cover all of it because I was missing that much & they had to create a hairline. I've worn hairpieces most of my life, but luckily I still have enough hair & it's kinda thick. I'll definitely have another transplant, but it'll be an FUE. I highly doubt my skin on my head could stretch again, & even if it could, I wouldn't wanna go thru FUT again. That's what my Dr & I discussed at my consultation last month anyway.

Also to add to the original question, the head discomfort & tension is worse in the morning & gets better later in the day... & after pain meds ;). Most surgeries in my experience requiring any stretching of the skin take about a couple of weeks to heal, so I was prepared for that.

In no particular order:

Making the initial decision and pulling the trigger. Even with solid research and choosing a reputable surgeon, the days leading up to it can be very nerve-wracking and it's quite common to second-guess yourself and get cold feet. I almost backed out of fear, but am so glad I pushed forward and went through with it. As long as you've done your due diligence and make a rational decision, you shouldn't let last minute nerves deter you.

The pain of the needle was AWFUL. Haha. Fortunately I only remember it lasting about 10 seconds or so, so I guess it's not that bad. :)

The ugly duckling/waiting phase for the first several months.

Lastly, the stress/anticipation of most likely needing another procedure down the road and trying not to stress too much about the state of your hair in the mean time...

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Well... Beard hair isn't an option for me :D I'll definitely have an FUE next time. Luckily, I have a lot of hair. I was also told past transplanted hair (this was early 80s when I was little) is too thick, but they can be taken out & cut into smaller follicles. I'll know more in a year.

Oh, & the anticipation of it?!?! Yah, that was terrible for me. I had off & on anxiety the week of, so I took some medication to calm my nerves... & I didn't sleep much the night before. But I always do get nervous for these kinds of things (I've had several reconstructive surgeries in other areas from 2 bad accidents). And having it done the week before Harvey flooding affected Houston wasn't fun either....

The needles weren't too bad... About what you'd expect from the dentist, except there're a bunch of them, & it sucks when they get to a part that's not totally numb & they have to inject you there to numb it again. I'm 2 weeks post op & my head is still kinda numb on top (above suture line), but i can tell there's some feeling coming back.... Which feels really weird & I can't wait until my head feels normal again!

Beard hair can also be used to gain density. Also with the development in technology, it is possible to extract a large number of grafts from a considerably poor donor. But it is true that FUT has dominated the ages earlier. I am just glad that you have satisfying results.