50% of all patients wind up regretting getting a hair transplant

50% of all patients wind up regretting getting a hair transplant  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I booked my flight and hotel room already. My surgery is March 30th.

What was initially a bit of fear, has now turned into excitement. I will finally be getting my life back.

Just one question, my plane leaves next day right after surgery. Is it possible swelling could start while I'm on my flight and I start looking like a zombie halfway over Winnipeg??

Like this guy :eek:

attachment.php?attachmentid=44152&d=1367732721

How long of a flight are you on? Most docs/clinics suggest waiting a few days after your procedure before you fly. I only had a 2 hour flight from Ottawa to Newark, NJ and I stayed in Canada for 3 days after my procedure - it was actually a requirement or should I say suggestion of Rahal's post op instructions. In fact, it was mandatory to go in to the clinic the following morning after surgery for a quick check up, and a cleaning. I did that for the next few days while I was in town, and then flew out with no problem.

You should wait a few days if you can.

You're gonna feel pretty subpar and will be paranoid about touching the grafts like we all do. Crashing at a hotel for a few days nearby would be my recc.

I told Daria at H&W my schedule and that I'd be leaving next day after surgery, she said that was fine. She didnt say anything about it being dangerous to fly out next day.

I'm gonna email her again to make sure. If I have to I'll extend my Vancouver trip by a few days

It differs per surgeon. When I consulted with Hasson he told me he would be okay with me flying from Vancouver to New York the next day. With Rahal, his post-op instructions prohibit air travel of under 5 hours for 3 days, and air travel above 5 hours for 5 days post-op as he believes long flights can cause the new grafts to dehydrate and effect the outcome of the surgery. I saw a post on this forum by Feller stating that flying is actually beneficial to the new grafts due to something about the cabin pressure. I have also seen clinics advise flying the day after surgery before the swelling starts which usually occurs on the 2nd day post-op. So go figure, my advice is to just follow the recommendation of your clinic. If H&W give you the okay to fly the next day then go for it. I do agree with Esrec though, you may want to stay in Vancouver a day or 2 to take advantage of the daily cleaning/check-up they can give you. I believe H&W put you up in the Sheraton Wall Centre which is in the heart of downtown - not a bad place to kill time for a few days whilst you recover. I couldn't wait to get out of Ottawa though - well because its Ottawa.

Dutchie - I don't think anyone would say its "dangerous" or not doable - its just not the most "optimal" thing for you to do.. Remember, any type of surgery is a trauma to your body - giving it the appropriate downtime to heal and recover is an important part of your post-op regiment.

I saw a post on this forum by Feller stating that flying is actually beneficial to the new grafts due to something about the cabin pressure

So wait, if I stick my head out of the plane and increase the cabin pressure, I could possibly get more grafts??!! :cool:

Dutchie - I don't think anyone would say its "dangerous" or not doable - its just not the most "optimal" thing for you to do.. Remember, any type of surgery is a trauma to your body - giving it the appropriate downtime to heal and recover is an important part of your post-op regiment

I hear you about "optimal". I'm trying to do my best when it to comes to optimal pre-surgery stuff.

I've already started my scalp-laxity thingies :cool:

Dutchie - I don't think anyone would say its "dangerous" or not doable - its just not the most "optimal" thing for you to do.

Remember, any type of surgery is a trauma to your body - giving it the appropriate downtime to heal and recover is an important part of your post-op regiment

I meant recuperate! :P

LOL :D;)

Don't be scared Dutchie you picked an A plus clinic so you will be in great hands.

The flight thing is a personal decision. From what I have read day three is when

swelling is at it's worst. I could be wrong and others will correct me if I am wrong.

I asked Christina @ H&W, she said its best to wait at least 2 days before flying out, but some guys have been known to fly out the next day after surgery.

I'm going to wait and see how I feel, if I'm very groggy the day after I'm gonna skip my flight and book a one-way a few days afterwards.

Also, can I take minoxidil the day after surgery, or should I wait a few days??

Dutchie,

I would agree it is best to stay a couple of days if possible after surgery so you can return for your first hair wash and check up. No you cannot use minoxidil until two weeks after surgery.

All the best.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Dutchie,

No you cannot use minoxidil until two weeks after surgery

Okay, will do.

Also I wanted to ask you, you have a bit of crown work left to do, have you considered doing a partial beard-hair/body-hair transplant mixed in with some FUE scalp hairs to cover that up??

Or is that out of the question??

Yes,

Good call that is exactly my plan for later in the year mix some scalp hair obtained by FUE with some beard hair not sure about chest hair although I do have a decent supply of that I have a very good beard supply.

I would put these in the crown and perhaps some in my older scars.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Yes,

Good call that is exactly my plan for later in the year mix some scalp hair obtained by FUE with some beard hair not sure about chest hair although I do have a decent supply of that I have a very good beard supply.

I would put these in the crown and perhaps some in my older scars

Thats smart.

I've looked at dozens of youtube videos and for the crown area its almost undetectable. It might look a tiny bit coarse but since its the crown nobody will really notice. I think the benefits of a covered up crown outweigh the negatives of the hairs looking a bit coarse.

Dr. U has performed some excellent work. He's located in L.A. area.

I might consider him for surgery #3 once I've had my two H&W surgeries

https://www.dermhairclinic.com/before-and-after-gallery/body-hair-transplant-before-and-after/

What is the reason H&W wants us to stop using minoxidil 6 weeks before surgery??

Is it because of excessive bleeding issues??

Yes Dutchie, that would be the primary reason.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Are you cancelling your surgery?

LOL....no, I mean the cancel list when someone else cancels and I can take their spot.

There's no way in hell I'm cancelling my own HT surgery, unless its a dire emergency