2450 FUT Grafts with Dr. Ron Shapiro Yesterday

esrec

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming along nicely. Next few months should be fun!

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Yes! Here I am dropping buddha quotes in my write-up when the actual hair buddha is right in from of me. Well said man.

lol, only just seen this.

Your hair is coming along, about where to be expected at the 4.5 month mark, month 6-8 is the real sweet spot for many with strip, but definite progress from month 3 to now, so just keep on keeping on Esrec.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

• 1 month later...

Stats

Hair Density: 125 (was told this will help in the future)

That is phenomenal donor hair.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hello my hair friends! Update and pics below.

Tried to take in harsh settings, both in natural light and under bright bathroom lights. First two pics are months 3 and 4.5 respectively for context, everything else was snapped a week ago at 6 month mark.

On the plus side, I see activity happening and new hair sprouting pretty consistently. Of course, I would be lying if I said wasn't getting a little impatient. I think this stage has been the most challenging for me personally. There's progress, but I feel like some days it looks better than others.

Months 1-3 you expect nothing, by month 4 you are eagerly awaiting activity to kick off, then 2 months later you have this idea (or delusion) you should be almost finished because 6 months have passed. Of course, you're really only 2 months into the core growing phase.

Thankfully there's a wealth of information on here to keep your sanity in check. From that perspective, I'm feeling pretty good. I know there's a long way to go.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/152638-growth-number-sessions.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158665-growth-times-patience.html

**My hairline is beginning to blend, to the degree where its now difficult to show the difference in pre-op hairline when I pull my hair back. The lines are still developing and immature, w/ some noticeable left/right side lag. You'll see though, when my hair is laying, my deficiencies are easily masked already.

**The forelock, my key frustration area, the bane of my existence, is slowly coming along. Admittedly, not to my satisfaction yet. Tons of see-through still. I purposely exposed in harsh light in one picture. I realize that because I have a good amount of dark/course native hair in the supporting area, this will likely take the longest to mature. Hopefully this continues to progress over the subsequent 6 months.

Feedback welcome as always. Thanks everyone.

5b32ec079c0fb_3months.jpg.9bae67830f91608581f41c08088e9e77.jpg

5b32ec0887a59_Forelock4.5.jpg.62ef3ebc59379cb867d391e72ffb9dc8.jpg

5b32ec08b6c0e_6month-pic12.png.5fedf8d64c9d2b4aa628aa63aca9c74f.png

5b32ec08c82fe_6month-pic15.png.a79f373e82bc0d664fe7db978a476b14.png

harsh.png.48e8d52393e06f8c310cb34ef4505c9c.png

5b32ec090cf19_6month-pic18.png.37dabbd1ea99430a2ce3f373353ad2ad.png

IMG_8984.thumb.JPG.434d7a8732cf2c80f41eeec8326355a9.JPG

IMG_8986.thumb.JPG.5827679714d3be955b584ee0d025143a.JPG

Edited by esrec

I think it is coming along really good. You got really good growth for six months. I see what you say about the thin areas but you are only half of the way there. You have a ton of time for it to thicken up . Shapiro gave you a really natural hairline . I think this will have a really happy ending.

• Administrators

Looking great bud, good improvement and steady improvement each month, I've said it plenty of times, the 50% of growth at 6 months is bull. Like balding in general everyone is different, some guys have 50% at 6 months whilst others have 30%.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would agree that it is looking much improved from your starting position and you are seeing consistent improvements on a monthly basis. Hang in there as there will be more to come.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

It looks to be improving nicely with each update. You've quite a few more months for the thinner areas to catch up.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 2 months later...

Honest answer guys- "I just dont know yet". I'm in a bit of a paradox at the moment. Let me explain.....

On one hand, I'm preparing for an uninspiring result. Not failed, simply uninspiring, as i'm quickly approaching the much coveted 9-month mark (7/1) without a result that I would ultimately declare a winner. The lines are carefully detailed with so much potential, but ultimately, lacking density in my key frustration area.

This surgery for me was a forelock/widows peak or bust scenario. Hairline too, but aforementioned primarily. In bringing back the forelock/widows peak, density was imperative. Not only out of principle, but fundamentally, its an area that naturally draws immediate attention. You get it.

The hairline itself has a nice shape, and is alive and well, but without the forelock and widows peak intact, its like a straight line with the middle missing. Like this ____ ____ ;)

BUT, on the other hand, I continue to see new hairs emerge right now. Yes, even right now. In fact, I probably saw more of a difference, in both sprout and maturation, in months 7.5--8.5 than I did in months 5-7. The hair that has come in, continues to thicken and resemble native form. I'm not denying progression. To that point, I've admittedly not had a single "blockbuster" month despite having undeniable and consistent month over month progress.

Net / Net: I'm approaching that unknown threshold, of not knowing if I actually need more hairs to emerge to reach my final destination, or if the flimsy lackluster nature of the existing hairs in key areas, simply need to mature and thicken fully to reach the finish line.

You see the balancing act I'm forced to acknowledge? I'm not disillusioned, I know the clock is ticking. Like I said, "I just dont know yet".

I'll post pictures soon, as I know this long update will frustrate some without, but i've been trying to just disconnect. I'm sure you understand. I'm pretty exhausted by everything. I welcome the support and encouragement, but the hair gods have me now. It's in their hands.

Honest answer guys- "I just dont know yet". I'm in a bit of a paradox at the moment. Let me explain.....

On one hand, I'm preparing for an uninspiring result. Not failed, simply uninspiring, as i'm quickly approaching the much coveted 9-month mark (7/1) without a result that I would ultimately declare a winner. The lines are carefully detailed with so much potential, but ultimately, lacking density in my key frustration area.

This surgery for me was a forelock/widows peak or bust scenario. Hairline too, but aforementioned primarily. In bringing back the forelock/widows peak, density was imperative. Not only out of principle, but fundamentally, its an area that naturally draws immediate attention. You get it.

The hairline itself has a nice shape, and is alive and well, but without the forelock and widows peak intact, its like a straight line with the middle missing. Like this ____ ____ ;)

BUT, on the other hand, I continue to see new hairs emerge right now. Yes, even right now. In fact, I probably saw more of a difference, in both sprout and maturation, in months 7.5--8.5 than I did in months 5-7. The hair that has come in, continues to thicken and resemble native form. I'm not denying progression. To that point, I've admittedly not had a single "blockbuster" month despite having undeniable and consistent month over month progress.

Net / Net: I'm approaching that unknown threshold, of not knowing if I actually need more hairs to emerge to reach my final destination, or if the flimsy lackluster nature of the existing hairs in key areas, simply need to mature and thicken fully to reach the finish line.

You see the balancing act I'm forced to acknowledge? I'm not disillusioned, I know the clock is ticking. Like I said, "I just dont know yet".

I'll post pictures soon, as I know this long update will frustrate some without, but i've been trying to just disconnect. I'm sure you understand. I'm pretty exhausted by everything. I welcome the support and encouragement, but the hair gods have me now. It's in their hands.

Welcome back buddy! Sounds like if you are still seeing new hairs popping at month 8.5, then I think it's fair to say it appears you may be a slower grower than average, so the usual timeline that we tend to follow may not necessarily apply to you and what the average person experiences at month 6, you experienced 2 months later. Just remember that those recently popped hairs will need time to mature before making an impact. On the other hand, maybe you really are heading towards an uninspired result. Just remember that you did go with a conservative approach with a conservative number of grafts. 2450 really isn't considered that much. I needed a good 4,000 odd grafts to get to where I wanted to be, so sounds like you may want to consider getting mentally prepared for a 2nd procedure to add density and strengthen that forelock and Windows peak. I know this is all stuff you know already, but hope it helps nonetheless.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for the long absence everyone.

So many of you have helped guide me through this journey and I am forever appreciative of that. I hope you can understand, I just didnt, and I still dont, have the energy to be here.

It's been a powerful experience, even if I ultimately fall short of my hair goals. Overall, I'm just pretty tired. Not defeated--that's not who I am, but just quite exhausted from the last year. I realize I dont have to explain--I know so many of you understand, but I am slowly beginning to accept the reality of my results.

When I last reported, I was still seeing new hairs pop around the 9 month mark. I also saw a good # of new hairs pop again at around 10 months. But I've run out of time, I'm 11.5 months in. Unless I see some serious thickening and maturity, I'm gonna come up short. I will objectively have to put my result somewhere between subpar and satisfactory.

Looking back, I never had a growth spurt. I wasnt a slow or fast, but steady grower. I saw incremental changes every single month, but no big gain months. I was hopeful the hair sprouting I saw in months 9 and 10 would be transformative by now, month 11.5, but no such luck.

What's funny, is I had this dream a few months ago about writing a letter to Dr. Shapiro thanking him for changing my life. He's such an incredible guy and I so badly wanted to write him that note. I wanted it for myself, but I also wanted to say those words to someone that made the entire process so easy considering the circumstances. Maybe I'll wait a little longer, maybe I'll start thinking about PRP. I will let you know. This was me letting go a little bit as a first step. So thanks for understanding.

I'll post 1 year pics in a few weeks.

No need to explain my friend. I finally had a procedure two months ago and I don't want to go through the monthly ups and downs of posting. I appreciate all of those that do it's just not me. Life is more than hair. Seeing past pictures I would not call your result a failure by any means but I understand if you are let down and not happy. Please do not beat yourself up over this. You are a good person and deserve better. You still have some time left but I understand what your thinking. Just know there are people here that will always support you .

• Administrators

Hey bud, I sent you a PM a few months back, glad you came back, I know what a difficult process this has been, I am of the opinion that any progress is good progress, whether it met your expectations is another issue, however if you can look back at pictures from a year ago and see a change for the better, well then you should feel better about the whole thing.

Have you asked Dr. Shapiro about your case what may have gone wrong? the only explanation I have is that you may have lost more native hair this past year, with that being said, you have so many positives going for you, you have donor density that is out of this world, you have thick bushy hair.

Before you embark on another procedure, I think its best if you discuss your case in detail with Dr. Shapiro, maybe a drive down to Minnesota for an in person consult is due. Once you have assessed what may have occurred, then you can begin to plan for a second procedure if youre willing to, whether or not you choose Dr. Shapiro again is entirely up to you, I know it may not be his fault, but at the same time I know as a patient you will wonder what if, if that thought crosses your mind then maybe it would be good to look for other possibilities. I'm sure no one here would fault you for that, and no one will think any differently about Dr. Shapiro, sometimes there is an "X" factor to consider. I'm sure everything will be sorted out, don't hesitate to send me a PM bro anytime.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Apologies for the long absence everyone.

So many of you have helped guide me through this journey and I am forever appreciative of that. I hope you can understand, I just didnt, and I still dont, have the energy to be here.

It's been a powerful experience, even if I ultimately fall short of my hair goals. Overall, I'm just pretty tired. Not defeated--that's not who I am, but just quite exhausted from the last year. I realize I dont have to explain--I know so many of you understand, but I am slowly beginning to accept the reality of my results.

When I last reported, I was still seeing new hairs pop around the 9 month mark. I also saw a good # of new hairs pop again at around 10 months. But I've run out of time, I'm 11.5 months in. Unless I see some serious thickening and maturity, I'm gonna come up short. I will objectively have to put my result somewhere between subpar and satisfactory.

Looking back, I never had a growth spurt. I wasnt a slow or fast, but steady grower. I saw incremental changes every single month, but no big gain months. I was hopeful the hair sprouting I saw in months 9 and 10 would be transformative by now, month 11.5, but no such luck.

What's funny, is I had this dream a few months ago about writing a letter to Dr. Shapiro thanking him for changing my life. He's such an incredible guy and I so badly wanted to write him that note. I wanted it for myself, but I also wanted to say those words to someone that made the entire process so easy considering the circumstances. Maybe I'll wait a little longer, maybe I'll start thinking about PRP. I will let you know. This was me letting go a little bit as a first step. So thanks for understanding.

I'll post 1 year pics in a few weeks

Esrec, whats going on bro???? You sound unhappy and depressed :(

If you're not happy, we're not happy

Talk to us. Whats wrong????? :cool:

Rooting for you to see an improvement.

If you've had noticable growth in the past 2 months, I feel that you shouldn't put the potential maturation thickening out of your thoughts. It'd be different if you saw nothing growing since month 6, but you do seem to have new hairs according to your post.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Esrec bud, I hope you're doing okay, even if you've had a procedure that's been less than life changing we're here for you bud. I remember you saying you had a donor density of over 100 hairs per cm2. You have amazing donor density, although you may feel disappointed it's certainly nothing that can't be improved.

View my thread

• 3 months later...

I'm simply blown away by the support on here. It's funny how you find special people in the most unexpected places sometimes. You're all brothers to me.

This journey has given me a certain perspective that reaches far beyond just a hair transplant. While I came up short, I know this is a long-term process I have no choice but to embrace. There's a certain level of expectation that's unhealthy and I maybe went there. I'm humbled.

I've given up my illusions of grandeur, of being able to wake and take on the day without worrying about concealers, rain, and wind. Those days remain, for now. What can I do, but accept? But, I'm thankful-- for the process, the information gained, and preparation I will take with me moving forward. I'm now ready to think next steps.

Dr. Ron and team have been all class. I flew out there about a month ago and he sat with me for almost 2 hours, after performing a procedure that day. Matt has also been top notch, providing a good bit of guidance along with his meticulous eye.

We all agreed I came up short. Progress made, but for my profile and candidacy, yield and density should've been better in my forelock-my key frustration area and reason for surgery. (I have seen some thickening between months 12 to 15)

The plan for now was to introduce oral min, topical fin (wont touch oral) and explore PRP to see if I can push to closer to the aesthetic threshold. My native density is a blessing and a curse, as anything below is visually obvious.

I will be seeking additional opinions, if only because it's the prudent thing to do. I have PRP consults with Dr. Wesley here in NY and close to scheduling with Dr. Cooley. I have a general consult with Dr. Konior in early march.

Key mentions: (pics taken yesterday)

*Forelock was key frustration area. By re-installing the widows peak and coming up short, we have more space to cover now.

*Forelock, if you look closely, is noticeably lacking due to density, yield, and hair/skin contrast.

*Thickness and textural changes still taking place. Wispy hairs still noticeable but unsure if they are new or old.

*Hairline also has gaps but only noticeable when I flip hair up. Enough thickness when it lays.

*Very pleased with outline, as it very closely resembles native.

*Took photos from brutally light angles, both under lamp and outdoor, as I like my beatings brutal ;)

Open to thoughts, opinions, feedback. Sincerely, thank you all so very much.

5b32f19fde5e0_Photo1.PNG.777e9159b60fba881090b5ab6860c47f.PNG

5b32f19ff2a04_Photo2.jpg.5c659c38734de190739d1a29a332d4d4.jpg

5b32f1a00ed43_Photo3.thumb.jpg.b27c5de6152ac0833b9915efbe2e919a.jpg

5b32f1a031173_Photo4.thumb.jpg.e2f0169bb69601960d76d644181fc830.jpg

5b32f1a06025d_Photo5.jpg.fa0e2bd72dc06b733fcbe06b6ca91bc6.jpg

5b32f1a0754d1_Photo6.thumb.JPG.1fe042aca72357c3db16c98f2819228e.JPG

5b32f1a0ab678_Photo7.thumb.JPG.f464dfe2211c3aefb51c2b828e34e067.JPG

5b32f1a0c00c9_Photo9.thumb.jpg.db48f6d59bea31e3e3cd02afd6742c61.jpg

5b32f1a0ddc6f_Photo10.thumb.jpg.467c897e25aebe18f12042e03f8b9454.jpg

• Administrators

Esrec my friend I'm glad you came back, I am very sorry that your expectations were not met, you certainly deserved it. With that said, from looking at the photos there is definite improvement from your last update, by no means do I consider this a failure, however I can acknowledge that with your hair thickness the results should have looked better.

Honestly, IMHO a small FUE procedure reinforcing the forelock would probably be best, kill two birds with one stone, what I mean by this is by doing an FUE you will thin out the donor a little bit so the contrast won't be as much when looking at your donor and top, I am glad Dr. Shapiro's clinic has been so great, I am certain that this small touch up will make a world of difference. I honestly don't think you need concealers, your hair looks good I do see a small spot in the front of your forelock that could use some strengthening, but aside from that everything looks good.

View my thread

Welcome back buddy. I completely agree with HTsoon. Looking at your pictures, I hardly think it's a failure, but can also see that it fell short. A definite improvement from where you started, and not too bad for 2,450 grafts. I think it's important that you have gotten your expectations in check, but I also do think that another small procedure will do wonders for you and get you over the line, maybe even closer to where you want to be than you think. By no means is this going to be a repair, so that's a positive. Is there a particular reason you are reluctant to get another procedure to touch it up and add density to the forelock at this stage? I'll be honest and say that I don't think PRP alone is going to get you to where you want to be, although no harm in giving it a shot. I appreciate why you are taking the cautious approach, especially after the 1st procedure fell short, and excellent idea to be doing consultations elsewhere to get different perspectives. Go meet with as many top surgeons as you can. Good to hear from you and welcome back.

Edited by mav23100gunther