Dr Cooley FUE scar repair

This patient had several strip surgeries in the 1990's with unsatisfactory results. He has very fine hair and his loss progressed over the years. His goal was to repair the donor scars and remove the grafts so he could shave his head. We performed a series of procedures combining FUE (1,583 grafts), plug removal, PRP/ACell, and dermabrasion. He is shown 5 months after his last procedure. While not perfect, he feels comfortable shaving his head now.

a1.jpg.8996091718682957276d3020cc5d4043.jpg

1.jpg.ab4a14c31e2ee45d2669146bdff04d67.jpg

2.jpg.1764c445faf5875d84eb234483454e37.jpg

3.jpg.fe169c224cb0dc1c99113333d9b8431d.jpg

4.jpg.d9d9bb86120cf7147fc511a55586cf59.jpg

5.jpg.dd7a86625f58c1ea17918ceb98a2ef80.jpg

6.jpg.4673b8c56b0e78d819223aa16d34587c.jpg

So, I have a few questions.

Did the pt come in wanting to go this route or was that his only option? Do you have and before and after pics on the with done in the old recipient?

Interesting case and thanks for posting it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Very very nice job for this guy. I'm sure he feels much better.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 year later...

Scar is very well hidden now. How many grafts were placed into the scar itself? 1,500 seems much too much for just the scars themselves??

Scar is very well hidden now. How many grafts were placed into the scar itself? 1,500 seems much too much for just the scars themselves??

Hello Mickey85,

Thank you for your question. The total number of grafts is the cumulative number over three procedures. Indeed, it does seem like a lot but it is necessary to get close to matching the density along the peripheral of the scar tissue. If you zoom on any of the after images you'll see the density achieved is pretty high. The only reason why the scar is still visible is because of the lack of pigment. This makes it stand out but the patient is currently working with another clinic in the area to laser the scar in an attempt to further reduce the contrast in pigmentation.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

Dr Cooley, fantastic repair. Have you done any fue donor shockloss repairs on any patients? Where there seems to be permanent damage by extractions and certain extraction patterns and punch sizes?

Does the skin back normal and smooth again and the scars are flater? the pics cannot show that

Can the same being done for a modern FUE? if reversing the old plug can give such improvement, then removing a modern FUE should not shown anything

Hello Mickey85,

Thank you for your question. The total number of grafts is the cumulative number over three procedures. Indeed, it does seem like a lot but it is necessary to get close to matching the density along the peripheral of the scar tissue. If you zoom on any of the after images you'll see the density achieved is pretty high. The only reason why the scar is still visible is because of the lack of pigment. This makes it stand out but the patient is currently working with another clinic in the area to laser the scar in an attempt to further reduce the contrast in pigmentation.

Indeed the scar is very well hidden. If the patient didn't buzz his head so close there would be zero sign of scarring. Good work.