At what point do you call it a failure

Hi

IM now 6 months 1 week with practically zero growth and a ruined donor area!!

I know a lot will say 6 months is early and some will say you should have 50%......

Im intrigued to get peoples opinions on what month you would state its a failure. My opinon is that if I dont see noticeable growth by month 8 I should give up all hope.

I was led to believe that my donor should be back to normal by month 5 at the latest. Still no signs of that at all , so im fearing over harvestin.

So to summarise ,

6months

No growth

2134 grafts

Donor Complete mess

3k out of pocket

Not happy!!

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

I'm curious as to why you haven't posted any pics yet. You said you were going to in the other thread you started. Hard for anyone to give you an informed opinion without them.

Here is a conservative growth chart:

5b32de1db065e_GrowthafterHT.jpg.9402b6a63d0316eb630f392bf0742432.jpg

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Im not good when it come to photos , especially cropping, but here is the donor

rps20140329_174622_780.jpg.cc51ad4bf1df011c61181a83a400ccbc.jpg

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

Total 5134 grafts.

It's pretty low quality and taken at a distance that makes it difficult to tell. You're not talking about the linear FUT scar, are you? This last procedure was FUE? I see some shock loss, but from this photo nothing that would lead me to believe your donor area is a 'complete mess.' We'd need higher quality pics to evaluate properly.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Buzz,

I would not assess the final results until the 12 month mark. At 6 months, you are roughly 40% matured and the hairs are expected to look thinner and "wiry." I know it is difficult, but I would withhold judgment until month 12.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi

I am unable to get any clearer photos at the moment.

EJ - DR Saifi was excellent but just felt he was a little conservative when it comes to number of grafts. Im starting to regret the decision at the moment.

Future Doc - I know, but its so hard not to when you have practically no growth. So if im anywhere near 40 % I will end up very dissapointed.

Im yet to see anyone on here that still had shockloss from fue after 6 months( not saying there isnt, I just havent stumled across)

Initially from my photos the doc said he could only harvest 1000 above the scar, but ended up takiny 2134 from all over the donor, so im now fearing overharvesting.

TIme will tell I suppose

Total 5134 grafts.

SInce 21

Yeah I'm talking about the fue, now its thin it makes the fut scar show more. Well, its not the scar, its the thick hair covering it from the tryco closure.

The main issue is the shock loss at the bottom, I thought after 6 months it would return. No sign of that yet

Total 5134 grafts.

Buzz,

If it is any consolation, Dr. Doganay is arguably one of the best FUE physicians practicing today. I suspect the results will mature as expected by month 12, and if they don't I am sure he will fix the situation.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Just hang in there. I know at 6 months youre expecting to see more growth and even thickening of the new hairs. Although i personally feel at 6 months most of the hairs that youre going to get from ht should have come out already, perhaps it is possible for some people like yourself the hairs are still dormant and will come out in the next few months. Try having someone take pictures of your recipient area so we can see and give you a better assessment, before pics would help also.

The vast majority of hairs should be through by month 7/8. After that its all about just improvement in the hair quality and diamater for another 12 months.

You should really have a good idea where of your final result soon . Nothing magical is going to happen between month 7 and 12 in terms of a massive growth spurt. I believe its exceptionally rare for that happen.

Best to accept that now and prepare for the next steps instead of a further sense of dissapointment at 12 months again. Good luck.

Edit - Have just seen that your not 'virgin scalp' and have had numerous previous procedures. The scar tissue can slow down the growth so could be cause of delay. Still i think you should have a good idea of where your gonna be at and what areas need addressing by month 8.

If you had grafts planted in areas that were already worked on, it could potentially take longer due to scar tissue, changes in vascularity, etc. You really just need to hang in there until 12 months. However, I understand your concern and would certainly reach out to the clinic to express it.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Cheers all!!

Total 5134 grafts.

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I've been very quiet on here recently. Unfortunately my HT was a failure and the reason for me not posting was because I was in discussions with the clinic and I didn't want to put a possible refund in jeopardy.

I have since had a refund by the clinic but I cannot help but feel angry as I now look worse than I did previously. To add to this my donor area has been severely compromised (can clearly see the extraction line) So much so I now need SMP to sort.

Initially I hoped this was shockloss, but its still no different 13 months on!

The few hairs that did grow are poorly angled and situated well in front of my hair line and I am now in a position where I have to go back to my original surgeon (DR Saifi) to get these removed.

I have been in contact with a few guys from the UK who have used this clinic, some from this site and I am yet to find anyone who is satisfied. I’m not saying there aren’t any of course.

All in all, this has been a disaster from start to finish.

I will post some photos a bit later, but unfortunately the clinic lost my post op photos, so I only have a few pre-ops and of course photos from the situation now.

I’m going back to Dr Saifi on the 6th November for a repair and further work on my scar. Why on earth I just didn't go back to him in the first instance I'll never know!!

I do feel bad as the clinic did ask me not to say anything and I have gone back on my word, however, I am just so angry and this has affected me in a big way psychologically and I just want to warn any potential patients.

Obviously they must have something to be recommended on here, but may be I & those I have talked to could just of been unlucky. However, I cant help bust notice most of their good results appear to come from the clinic themselves, rather than patients directly.

I was so close to finally being sorted and achieving my hair restoration goals, now it’s a massive step backwards!!!

2134 grafts I’ll never get back!

Total 5134 grafts.

Buzz2 thanks for the update. Its a terrible shame that the result was so poor. Given you were happy with Saifi twice previously, what made you opt for Doganay? Any thoughts on what went wrong?

I've been considering Doganay, Erdogan and Demirsoy, but as you noted, when searching the forum the great results seem to be more from surgeons rep posting rather than regular forum members. Thats not to say they aren't having good results, but it would be nice to see their work back up my lots of patient posts.

Hi

Just for clarity, they didnt tell me not to post, just not to say theyd given a refund.

In terms of what went wrong, who knows. Everything was being done at a frantic pace and I have a

Strong feeling they are doing more than 1 even 2 patients a day.

I will say they were quick with replies to say sorry although no answers as to why they think it went wrong

Justjax - should of gone back to Saifi, no questions, a mistake on my behalf. I chose Doganay as he was recommended on here , in my price range, and agreesive in terms of grafts.

Total 5134 grafts.

Please see donor pics attached

image.jpg.ae0804334691261abc5343b024e4d0c7.jpg

Total 5134 grafts.

Before.

Originally told they couldn't take any grafts under my scar as it was too thin, but they went ahead when they saw me in person

image.jpg.fee6ac07843750342dad10e9e699f249.jpg

Total 5134 grafts.

Buzz2 I'm absolutely gutted for you. It's heart-breaking when you do all your research, get your hopes up and then nothing happens.

I think its utterly egregious that there could even be a SUSPICION that surgeon and techs rushed your procedure so they could accommodate another patient undergoing surgery at the same time.

You've lost 2100 grafts and wasted a year of your life waiting for a result that you really had no business expecting if, as you suggest, the surgeon was running backwards and forwards between you and the other patient.

Good for you for getting your coin back but I know you'd have preferred your hair.