Is it possible for me to have a successful HT at my current NW level?

It's been 10+ years since I've started balding and I am really considering a transplant but wonder if it's possible to get to a good point from where my hairs at now. It's getting a little depressing lately which is why I'm considering it. I'm 36 and have been bald since around 18. I want a life of hair!!

there's always some hope to have a better head of hair than what you have, but if you have extensive hair loss, your expectations need to be realistic. So for example, i'm a NW 5-6 like you, I'm going for a HT to recreate a very conservative hairline and to add some density behind it up to the mid-scalp. This will frame my face and definitely give me a much better improved look from my current condition. I think you need to have a similar outlook, ie. you will never have a full, dense head of hair, but you can improve your look with today's modern HT's. Best of luck to you ..

It really depends on what your donor hair is like there have been many Norwood 6's like you that have had decent results myself being one of those. In some ways you are in a good position with your age and having lost so much hair a significant cosmetic improvement could be made provided you have the following.

1. Realistic expectations

2. Good donor density.

You should take a range of clear photos from all angles including some close ups of your donor so the density can be assessed properly and send to some of the recommended clinics on this site as a start. Some in house consults after that would be ideal if you can but appreciate that is not always easy. The better the photos the better the clinic can be in evaluating your recommendation.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Absolutely possible, but as already stated, you need to lower your expectations.

• You will never get back the lush thick hair you had when you were young. It will be see-through in strong light
  • You will not have a low hairline. It's likely to be high to very high, but it's more than enough to give you a decently framed face (which is what you should be aiming for)
  • You may not have enough donor to do anything about the crown. If you do have enough it is likely to be very scarse.

I was a NW5 heading towards a NW6. I had my first HT in August last year and I'm having my 2nd later this year to fill in the rest. Check out my signature for photos if you're interested.

If you really want to pursue the HT route I would go for FUE, address the frontal third and get a hairline that frames your face well to start with. Then SMP the rest. Unless you have a large budget to work with and a lot of patience and lowish / realistic expectations.

I am not seeing your donor area clearly but HT's are basically as BaldieTwo stated, especially if there is not a lot of native hair to work with.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I think another alternative which I know some people would not be keen on is to transplant the first x amount of cm/inches at a very high density and then wear a hair piece behind that.

When I first met Dr Feller, I thought he had a full head of hair until he turned his head sideways to find he was a higher Norwood with a dense transplanted frame to his face.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I agree with all the responses.

You never did answer whether you take the Meds. Do you?

I am an example of someone who went from NW5A to a decent head of hair and I started the meds around the same time as my strip procedure (2012). It resulted in a perfect storm of results-

see my Before and After photos

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

It's absolutely possible. I was a Norwood 6 and have had great results. I did have a very large surgery, 5,125 grafts. I just posted my first two pictures on this HTN website. Check them out. I'll be adding more soon.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks to all for your responses! I just created my album of before photos, may give a better idea of where I am currently. My expectations are modest. I know my hair has always been fine and thin even as a boy. I just hope to look like I have a close to full head of hair, not necessarily dense. I am currently not on any medications. What is the average cost for meds?

If you really want to pursue the HT route I would go for FUE, address the frontal third and get a hairline that frames your face well to start with. Then SMP the rest. Unless you have a large budget to work with and a lot of patience and lowish / realistic expectations.

I am not seeing your donor area clearly but HT's are basically as BaldieTwo stated, especially if there is not a lot of native hair to work with.

Jgelino,

Hsrp's idea may be a good route for you...I saw your photos; you may be able to pull of the FUE / SMP combo pretty well.

Not sure if you've seen the photos on this Thread but definitely check it out:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174508-scalp-micropigmentation-thickening-effect-mens-ink.html

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.