Hypocrisy of Hair Doctors

Mariek

I have been a hair loss sufferer for the last ten years. As a woman having a balding area is not the most flattering way to wake up in the morning.

Like most people going in for a surgical procedure, you want to do all your research you can so you are informed and do it right the first time.

After reading your forum and others I have come to believe that the value which you propose to provide is a lot less than what the average person getting a hair transplant is expecting to get.

Your web site seems to be filled with Shills from all your member doctors.

When you repeat the same things over and over, na?ve people will tend to believe it.

I did a few consults with some “Hair Only” doctors and was not impressed, one of my friends said that her plastic surgeon also did Hair Transplants.

I went to the Plastic Surgeons office and did not get the “Hard Sell” that I got with the Hair Docs, however I was concerned because he did not specialize in only doing Hair Transplants.

The Doctor explained that he was a board certified plastic surgeon, He does Breasts Augmentations, Face Lifts, Lipo Suction, Butt Implants, and even re-attaches hands and fingers as well as being on call at the local hospital for emergency facial surgery.

He explained what it took to do a hair transplant, and explained that on the Level of Plastic surgery it was at the bottom of the list as far as the necessary skill level required to perform and outstanding hair transplant.

He explained that a lot of the current “Hair Only” docs are what he calls “Used To Be’s”, because they Used to Be some other kind of doctor and found out they could not make it, in that field and then switched over to Hair Transplants. He said the barrier for entry into Hair Transplants was very minimal just needed to be an MD or even worse a DO with nothing special required.

He told me to go with anyone who I feel comfortable with and have a high degree of confidence that I would be happy afterward.

But told me to look around and see the CV of the doctors who I am considering and see what their actual background is, and sure enough. They “Used to Be” something else.

He also said that he would be very concerned that a Surgeon was only capable of doing only one kind of procedure. And then even more concerned if that surgeon/Docotor/”Used to Be” then criticized you for even thinking of going to a physician who was capable of performing multiple kinds of procedures.

I also found out that ISHRS and the other one is not a Recognized board. You pay your Dues and you become a member and then you can market to the lemmings.

After getting a consult with Dermatologist Friend of his, I ended up going with the plastic surgeon, got a nice little 1200 graft strip procedure and will be looking forward to my hair growth over the next 12 months. I asked him if he wanted me to promote him on a forum. His response was God no, telling my girlfriends would be enough.

For New Patients considering a Hair Transplant. Don’t let the scare tactics of the Trolls/Shills scare you off, from going to a “Board Certified Plastic Surgeon”. It seems like anyone can become a hair transplant surgeon by attending a seminar. And I am sure anyone can get skilled over time. But I would put more faith in a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a successful practice than a Hair Only doc who is struggling, no matter how may golden follicle awards they have.

I went to the Plastic Surgeons office and did not get the “Hard Sell” that I got with the Hair Docs

Then...

He explained that a lot of the current “Hair Only” docs are what he calls “Used To Be’s”, because they Used to Be some other kind of doctor and found out they could not make it, in that field and then switched over to Hair Transplants.

Honey, that was his "Hard Sell". :rolleyes:

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

The Doctor explained that he was a board certified plastic surgeon, He does Breasts Augmentations, Face Lifts, Lipo Suction, Butt Implants, and even re-attaches hands and fingers as well as being on call at the local hospital for emergency facial surgery.

A jack of all trades and a master of none?!

Performing a HT is probably 80% artistry and 20% surgical skill. Personally I would not go to a part time HT surgeon.

Part timers have their place, for example, repairing people who have car accidents and small patches of missing hair. But for MPB, I'll look for guys doing it day in day out thank you very much.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

He also said that he would be very concerned that a Surgeon was only capable of doing only one kind of procedure. And then even more concerned if that surgeon/Docotor/”Used to Be” then criticized you for even thinking of going to a physician who was capable of performing multiple kinds of procedures.

With all due respect this plastic surgeon is an idiot and I'd have no problem telling him to his face.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mariek here's hoping your nice little 1200 graft strip surgery turns out well and that your doctor who specializes in boob jobs and tummy tucks knows what he is doing. Fingers crossed!! :eek:

Just a quick question... did your surgeon implant all your grafts or did he have staff do it? And I wonder if he uses state of the art equipment such as custom cut blades, trichophytic closures, and lateral slits. Acell maybe? Does he do FUE also? Maybe he does mini-grafts! I'm sure you knew to ask about those things so you could make the best choice of surgeon possible because you sound so knowledgeable about it all. Right?

You were sold a bill of goods by your "soft selling" surgeon as Aaron has so perceptively pointed out. Having a procedure done by a surgeon and staff that don't specialize is a risk that we have seen turn out very badly time and time again.

Every industry is full of less than shoddy and average practitioners as I'm sure you know, some of them are even board certified plastic surgeons. Lets hope you didn't get one of them. Good luck.

Edited by StaggerLee123

I have been a hair loss sufferer for the last ten years. As a woman having a balding area is not the most flattering way to wake up in the morning.

Like most people going in for a surgical procedure, you want to do all your research you can so you are informed and do it right the first time.

After reading your forum and others I have come to believe that the value which you propose to provide is a lot less than what the average person getting a hair transplant is expecting to get.

When you repeat the same things over and over, na?ve people will tend to believe it.

I did a few consults with some “Hair Only” doctors and was not impressed, one of my friends said that her plastic surgeon also did Hair Transplants.

I went to the Plastic Surgeons office and did not get the “Hard Sell” that I got with the Hair Docs, however I was concerned because he did not specialize in only doing Hair Transplants.

He explained what it took to do a hair transplant, and explained that on the Level of Plastic surgery it was at the bottom of the list as far as the necessary skill level required to perform and outstanding hair transplant.

He explained that a lot of the current “Hair Only” docs are what he calls “Used To Be’s”, because they Used to Be some other kind of doctor and found out they could not make it, in that field and then switched over to Hair Transplants. He said the barrier for entry into Hair Transplants was very minimal just needed to be an MD or even worse a DO with nothing special required.

He told me to go with anyone who I feel comfortable with and have a high degree of confidence that I would be happy afterward.

But told me to look around and see the CV of the doctors who I am considering and see what their actual background is, and sure enough. They “Used to Be” something else.

I also found out that ISHRS and the other one is not a Recognized board. You pay your Dues and you become a member and then you can market to the lemmings.

After getting a consult with Dermatologist Friend of his, I ended up going with the plastic surgeon, got a nice little 1200 graft strip procedure and will be looking forward to my hair growth over the next 12 months. I asked him if he wanted me to promote him on a forum. His response was God no, telling my girlfriends would be enough.

For New Patients considering a Hair Transplant. Don’t let the scare tactics of the Trolls/Shills scare you off, from going to a “Board Certified Plastic Surgeon”. It seems like anyone can become a hair transplant surgeon by attending a seminar. And I am sure anyone can get skilled over time. But I would put more faith in a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a successful practice than a Hair Only doc who is struggling, no matter how may golden follicle awards they have.

meow....

The idea that the wider the variety of procedures a plastic surgeon actively does the more competent he/she is is laughable.

meow....

The idea that the wider the variety of procedures a plastic surgeon actively does the more competent he/she is is laughable.

What does that even mean? Doesn't the reverse also hold true?

The guy re-attaches body parts, fixes faces as they go through windshields, makes peoples faces look younger and changes people's bodies. He has Hospital privileges and is on call for emergencies.

From what I read, techs do the bulk of the work with a strip or fue. so what is the really saying about Hair Transplants anyways?

You have "Techs" with NO Medical Degree doing the bulk of the work. Maybe not in all cases but I would say the bulk of all the Hair Docs do it the same way.

You were sold a bill of goods by your "soft selling" surgeon as Aaron has so perceptively pointed out. Having a procedure done by a surgeon and staff that don't specialize is a risk that we have seen turn out very badly time and time again.

Every industry is full of less than shoddy and average practitioners as I'm sure you know, some of them are even board certified plastic surgeons. Lets hope you didn't get one of them. Good luck.

Well I also had the same concerns, he said he has done about a 100 Hair Transplants over the last 5 years. While it may not compare with some of the factories which are out there, he is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. He had a PA and Two nurses using the Lighted Microscopes to cut out the grafts into Follicle units. Trust me I was quite informed (and yes I did get a lot of info from this site on questions to ask). He made all the sites with a needle. He verified the angle for the part of my bald spot which was in the front hair line and then he let his staff place the rest.

My whole point of this forum post, was to point out the fact that New Patients need not be frightened by all the Shills into only believing that everything you say is 100% correct. Most of the doctors on here could not hold a candle to what most plastic surgeons can do. And i am sure there are "approved" doctors who are also well qualified plastic surgeons who are part of the "in-crowd".

Joetronic,

Where can I find the CV for Hanson and Wong. I can't seem to find it on their web site.

I guess I should have expected the Shills to come out in force. Anyone questioning the status quo gets attacked.

I can think of a few recommended HT surgeons on here who have world class Plastic Surgery backgrounds, so you really don't know what you're talking about.

Just because they enjoy the satisfaction of improving peoples lives through HTs it doesn't mean they are a failure at something else.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Mariek,

If a member of your family required brain surgery, would you rather send them to the inexperienced surgeon who performs brain surgery only part time or the experienced surgeon who specializes and has mastered brain surgery due to performing it full time?

The cosmetic surgeon you speak of may or may not be great at performing hair transplants. However, physicians who've dedicated themselves to the field are the ones continually improving the procedure and producing the most natural looking results. Those are the ones we consider for recommendation on this community. To see how we recommend hair transplant surgeons, click here.

This community promotes the open exchange of information and ideas as it relates to all areas of hair restoration and is open to anyone, patient or physician. Our community is also very transparent and requires those representing a physician, clinic or company to disclose their affiliation with them in their forum signature.

Ironically, this community goes against the status quo and dogma that all physicians produce the same results. So you've actually got that backwards.

The reality is, this community has saved countless patients and their scalps from physicians still doing subpar work. This is because we allow patients to share their genuine opinions and experiences, good or bad about any and all physicians whether we recommend them or not. Those visiting this community can then research doctors or hair restoration related topics by using the search feature or starting their own discussion. Anyone can then join in the debate.

As a patient, you have a voice on this community. So instead of attacking it and buying into false dogma that anyone who chooses to master a trade is a a sell-out, why not simply share your genuine experience and photos, garner support and join in the discussion?

Best wishes,

Bill

Matt is right. Dr. Konior comes to mind.

Look, there are a ton of crappy HT doctors out there. God knows I had first hand experience with one of them. But 100 transplants in 5 years?!? At least I wasn't practiced on.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Mariek,

Frankly, I think you're making a lot of misinformed assumptions in your post, and I invite you to spend some time on our discussion forums. Altogether, I think you'll learn a bit more about how specialized, technical, and refined hair loss management and surgical hair restoration has become today.

Having said that, I do want to address some of your comments:

The "shills" from our "member doctors" are clinic representatives for our recommended hair transplant surgeons, and I assure you that nothing about their hair restoration knowledge or the individuals who seek their advice represents any level of naivete.

Frankly, I'm not sure where you consulted, but I assure you that the "hard sell" is not something utilized at state-of-the-art clinics. To be completely honest, these physicians turn down eager, paying patients each day, simply because they are poor candidates. These are the same individuals who publish papers about hair restoration, define the techniques, improve the methods, develop the tools, and have 3 months waiting lists.

If I can play "devil's advocate" here for a moment: were you there for a breast augmentation, face lift, liposuction, "butt" implant, or digit reattachment?

Neuroscience experts state that they key to perfection is repetition. Estimates explain that performing the same task 10,000 times creates the skill and muscle memory necessary to truly perfect a task.

Knowing this, ask yourself this question: if a surgeon performs multiple procedures, and maybe schedules 1-2 hair restoration procedures a month, versus a physician who performs 5 procedures a week all year long, who is going to obtain that "perfection?"

Additionally, like many other procedures in medicine/surgery, hair transplantation may be perceived as "easy" to perform, but it's highly, highly difficult to master. The key to mastering this "simple" procedure is dedication and practice. Personally, I feel like an individual dedicated to this specific cosmetic procedure is likely to master it sooner.

Here's another analogy that may help to make my point: say you're starting a band and you need a guitar player. You have one individual who went to Juilliard school of music and sings, plays drums, cello, violin, flute, and happens to know a few chords on the guitar; and another individual who studied music at a state college, but is completely dedicated to guitar. This individual writes music on the guitar, practices 5 hours a day, tutors students, and completely dedicates all his energy to mastering the guitar. Who are you going to choose?

He explained that a lot of the current “Hair Only” docs are what he calls “Used To Be’s”, because they Used to Be some other kind of doctor and found out they could not make it, in that field and then switched over to Hair Transplants.

Hair restoration, as a field, is not something well understood or well exposed to medical students selecting a field of study (trust me ;)). Furthermore, many medical students are highly unaware of the environment of general medical practice today. Because of this, when practicing physicians are exposed to a field like hair restoration, many see the array of pros associated with a hair loss practice, and decide to switch focus. Frankly, the ability to do this not only demonstrates the skill of the practitioner, but is also one of the privileges of an unrestricted physician and surgeon license.

Having said that, have you seen the number of board certified plastic surgeons, general surgeons, and dermatologists recommended on our network? These individuals practice hair restoration exclusively now, and I'm wondering if they would be considered "has beens" by your plastic surgeon as well?

What's more, the idea that these physician switched from other fields because they couldn't "hack it" is completely incorrect. These physicians were successful individuals who made a choice to move into a different field of medicine.

He said the barrier for entry into Hair Transplants was very minimal just needed to be an MD or even worse a DO with nothing special required.

I'm wondering why your surgeon feels the need to belittle other physicians like this? Regardless, this "barrier" he refers to is something seen in all of cosmetic medicine, not simply hair restoration surgery. Furthermore, although the barrier to entry may be "minimal" (which I don't agree with), I promise you the barrier to "stay" is much, much higher, and these "has beens" would not meet the barrier to stay viable.

What's more, I'm not sure why he's making snide comments about Osteopathic physicians, but if you do have any questions about DOs, DO hair transplant surgeons, board certified DO plastic surgeons, etc, feel free to ask any inquiries; I'm training to be one of these DOs. What's more, I'm planning on entering hair transplant surgery without "failing" at another field first, so hopefully I can avoid the "has been" label (Haha :D).

I'm confused: is the plastic surgeon claiming that he was trained in hair transplant surgery during his residency? Frankly, I'm fairly up to date with what is covered in plastic surgery residencies (both integrated and the traditional g-surg to plastic residency/fellowship route), and I highly doubt hair transplantation was covered. Because of this, I assume that despite the fact that he was trained in general and reconstructive surgery, he chose to make a slight change and offer hair transplant surgery. However, by this logic, it seems like he may meet his own definition of "has been?"

Again, I'm confused by his logic here: how can someone who trains in a variety of medical/surgical procedures in a different field and then transitions into a different field of study only be CAPABLE of performing one type of procedure? Wouldn't they retain the skills learned in their previous training/practice?

Furthermore, choosing to only offer one procedure and possessing the capability to only perform one procedure are two very different issues. I'm positive that any physician who is capable of obtaining and completing a residency in any field has the capability to master and perform an array of procedures. However, which ones they choose to perfect and offer is all personal preference.

Again, I'm still confused as to why the surgeon feels the need to belittle other physicians during a consultation? Especially if he knows he possess superior skills and outcomes?

I invite you to review our recommendation standards. Frankly, I think you'll be satisfied with the level of scrutiny involved with recommendation by our network.

Congratulations! I truly hope you'll be satisfied with the results. Additionally, our community definitely stands behind the idea that an objective image speaks 1,000 words, so if you are interested in sharing your post-operative images, let me know!

Mariek,

No one here ever dissuades patients from seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. Like I said before, we recommend a good number of them. However, what people do question is seeking hair restoration from an individual who performs the procedures as an occasional, ancillary, task, and those who believe it's a simple procedure that does not require skill, practice, and dedication to master. Frankly, even if these individuals are highly skilled surgeons, they likely do not possess the resources necessary to perform state-of-the-art hair transplantation (a series of microscopes, a highly trained technician staff of 5-6 individuals, up-to-date knowledge, etc).

What's more, I assure you that individuals we recommend here are not "struggling." These physicians are dedicated, hardworking, and produce excellent results. What's more, I've personally watched these surgeons collaborate, refer patients to one another, and discuss each others practice openly and honestly, and I've never observed the negative feedback provided by your surgeon. If I can be completely honest, this is the type of behavior I'd expect to see from someone who actually was struggling, or didn't feel like competing with the physicians performing excellent restoration exclusively.

Again, if you do have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. What's more, remember that our forums are an open, transparent place for discussion, and any comments made will be discussed and/or disputed by our other members.

Additionally, I truly do wish you the best of luck with your growth and maturation over the next 12 months.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Well I also had the same concerns, he said he has done about a 100 Hair Transplants over the last 5 years. While it may not compare with some of the factories which are out there, he is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. He had a PA and Two nurses using the Lighted Microscopes to cut out the grafts into Follicle units. Trust me I was quite informed (and yes I did get a lot of info from this site on questions to ask). He made all the sites with a needle. He verified the angle for the part of my bald spot which was in the front hair line and then he let his staff place the rest.

My whole point of this forum post, was to point out the fact that New Patients need not be frightened by all the Shills into only believing that everything you say is 100% correct. Most of the doctors on here could not hold a candle to what most plastic surgeons can do. And i am sure there are "approved" doctors who are also well qualified plastic surgeons who are part of the "in-crowd".

He has done 100 transplants over 5 years and you let him work on you? Did you get to meet any of his patients or see his results? Who did he train with? You are a very trusting soul, I hope it works out for you. This whole notion you are pushing that anyone who reads what is on this website automatically forgoes their ability to reason and make informed decisions is quite child-like and frankly insulting. We are all adults and we know when somebody is simply cheer-leading. There are quite a few Docs on this website that don't get any rave reviews from members, throwing around the term "lemmings" is simply bombastic. I would say most of us are skeptical consumers and there are many sources of information out there from which to choose.

I recall reading both Drs Hasson and Wong's CV, it must be on their website somewhere. I also have read Dr. Konior's (who happens to be a plastic surgeon) and Dr. Shapiro's CV as well. All quite impressive I might add. If I recall correctly a few of them started their careers in the ER and as you may or may not know, ER doctors quite frequently "move on" to other fields because of burn out.

So anyway best of luck, post some pictures I would be interested in seeing the quality of the work. And by posting pics you will aid in your crusade to spread the word about other Doctors in the world besides the ones listed on this site!

Mariek,

Just for some perspective: most of the surgeons on our site who regularly perform Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) procedures have likely performed anywhere from 720 to 1,200 cases in the last five years. What's more, these same individuals hire, train, and frequently retrain anywhere from 5-12 surgical technicians who's only task is to dissect strip "chunks" into follicular units under the 5-10 microscopes used every day at the clinic.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Whew! Great post Blake! You were on fire. :)

But all of those great points you made just proves you're a HT shill. :rolleyes:

Edited by aaron1234

Wow. That has to be the most misinformed, shortsided and just plain stupid post I have ever seen. It goes against everything that any well researched patient with a pulse comes to know. It is scary actually and shame on her doctor. She wants to see H&W's CV??? How ludicrous is that? Imagine, some doc doing part time HT having a better handle on it than two of the industry's pioneers.

Again, wow...

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

He explained that a lot of the current “Hair Only” docs are what he calls “Used To Be’s”, because they Used to Be some other kind of doctor ....told me to look around and see the CV of the doctors who I am considering and see what their actual background is, and sure enough. They “Used to Be” something else.

My wonderful urologist "used to be" a family practice doctor.

Many of the very best doctors in specific fields of medicine start out in a different field of medicine, become interested in a certain medical speciality, and then pursue that niche as their career.

I actually like the fact that some of my specialist doctors were in other fields of medicine before they became board certified specialist. I thnk that is a plus, not a minus. Moving from one field of medicine into a board certified speciality is not a sign of a poor quality doctor.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Mariek,

I will keep this short and sweet. Your doctor is scammer to say such things. You are ignorant and rude, I knew that before I got past your title. You walked into a forum of patients and doctors who have expert level knowledge in this field while you have what is equivalent to a 2nd grade education. So I say to you put up or shut up. Lets see your post ops and come back in a year. In my book, if you decide not to, you have absolutely no credibility and you yourself the one "trolling."

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I don't understand why you feel the need to come here and tell us we're all a bunch of shills and that HT doctors are hacks. What's the point? If you're happy with the work you had done, then good for you. Why do you feel the need to rip all the doctors and posters who use this forum everyday?

Personally, I feel very fortunate to have found this site. I researched HT's for about a year before I made my decision to go with Dr. Ron Shapiro and I couldn't be happier. Before I discovered this site, I had already made a call to Bosley and they were sending me literature and aggressively trying to get my business. Thank God I was patient and smart enough to run the other way and do my research.

I hope your HT turns out great. I really do. I just am confused as to why you have so much anger towards this community when it doesn't affect you personally at all.

I don't understand why you feel the need to come here and tell us we're all a bunch of shills and that HT doctors are hacks. What's the point? If you're happy with the work you had done, then good for you. Why do you feel the need to rip all the doctors and posters who use this forum everyday?

Personally, I feel very fortunate to have found this site. I researched HT's for about a year before I made my decision to go with Dr. Ron Shapiro and I couldn't be happier. Before I discovered this site, I had already made a call to Bosley and they were sending me literature and aggressively trying to get my business. Thank God I was patient and smart enough to run the other way and do my research.

I hope your HT turns out great. I really do. I just am confused as to why you have so much anger towards this community when it doesn't affect you personally at all.

I feel bad about myself because I hope she gets zero yield so I can point at her and laugh at her like Nelson off of the Simpsons. I'm a bad person. :(

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Mariek,

I will keep this short and sweet. Your doctor is scammer to say such things. You are ignorant and rude, I knew that before I got past your title. You walked into a forum of patients and doctors who are have expert level knowledge in this field while you have what is equivalent to a 2nd grade education. So I say to you put up or shut up. Lets see your post ops and come back in a year. In my book, if you decide not to, you have absolutely no credibility and you yourself the one "trolling."

Well stated Spanker! This poster has no clue.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

• 1 month later...

This is a pretty heated discussion. For better or worse I'll add 2 cents.

1. Some of what the original writer says isn't far off. There are people in the ISHRS who do work that would be ridiculed off of this and other forums where the consumers are educated. Just as there are people in the plastic surgery societies who do poor nose jobs, and facelifts. And as I tell the one or 2 people who visit each week who inquire about boards and societies, yes there is no recognized hair board by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Nor for that matter is there a recognized facial plastic board, despite me having done a facial plastic fellowship recognized by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (also not recognized by the ABMS) and the fact that I taught it at 2 universities. Its sad but true, there are a lot of people in ALL specialties doing mediocre work and using marketing to overcome or de-emphasize it.

With regard to someone's request for CV's on websites. I used to have mine on our site, but honestly if someone came in and had studied it so much that they knew I won a bunch of awards for rat research and they were picking me to do their hair surgery or facelift because of that, I'd probably be concerned about their sanity. And who really cares that I've given 60 talks and published 27 articles in peer reviewed journals. The customer/patient is more interested in the fact we have a pretty consistent track record of good results. You should be concerned with that as well.

2. The best consumer of any product, whether hair restoration, facelifts, jeep modifications( I found and chose my Jeep mechanic off of a similar Jeep forum), does significant research on their own, either before or after shopping in person at a store, doctor's office etc. They don't get swayed by a hard or soft sell. We virtually never call people who've been in, I tell people just to email or call when they are ready. The sun really will come up tomorrow, even if you don't have work to do.

3. Particularly for a female needing hair...DO RESEARCH. You can search a number of posts by me preaching caution to females. Be careful.

4. If that doctor has done 1000 in 5 years, well he is either lying or doing a great job. Should be easy enough for you to see his results before making a decision. That's more per year than I do. When I was a resident our best teacher always said: If a doctor says he's done x number of a specific challenging case, divide that in half for ego, and half again for accuracy.

5. I agree with a number of the posters who generally say don't go to someone who dabbles in hair. I used to dabble in hair. Sometimes you get a great result sometimes poor. The problem is until you really have a team and make a decision to pay staff even if there are no cases, you just can't have consistency. Hence, I don't dabble in hair anymore. But EVERY week I see people coming in from a doctor who dabbles in hair. Saw 3 yesterday. From 3 different doctors, 2 that I know and think are decent guys, but who don't really focus on hair.

For that matter you can't really dabble in anything and be good at it, facelifts, noses, hair, real estate, flying, golf, parenting...

And to reference Bill's comment on brain surgery: unfortunately,I personally have taken my daughter for brain surgery 3 times. I strongly recommend that with all surgery, but particularly brain surgery, go to someone who does it often and with consistent results.

6. I do hair 3 days a week and faces 2 days a week. Does this make me better than just hair guys? Probably not. I personally think that on average I sew better than most people, but my reason for the mix is simply to do more than 1 thing all of the time. But I don't do boobs one day, a mole the next, squeeze in a hair case, play golf, then do lipo. I've given up all of the things that I just never did frequently enough to most often get good results on. (like lasers, fillers, fru fru procedures and others)

7. Hair is both hard and easy. With good donor hair and fixing a specific region of recipient scalp, most reputable clinics get good results 90-95% of the time (note, not 100%). Add in thinner donor hair, a tight scalp, a big recipient area, and financial issues, and it can be a challenge.

8. Lastly, I wish you the best. This forum is a great resource for patients. Use it. And educate yourself as much as you can BEFORE you decide to A: have hair work done and B: before you pick a specific doctor.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

(I am not asking for you to consider me for your procedure. Frankly as I've posted before, I think its tough to do hair work on women and get the result they or I want. Plus we shave the recipient area, often times a deal breaker for females at my office.)

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians