Stopping Finasteride for Now

TakingThePlunge

My reason for posting this is simply disclosure. I frequently recommend that hair loss sufferers take finasteride and I will continue to do so as I believe it's the best method we currently have of slowing hair loss and regrowing hair.

I've been taking generic finasteride for almost three years now and, if you've read any of my previous posts about it, you know that I have experienced what I consider very mild and inconsequential side effects. I also feel that it has virtually stopped my shedding and even resulted in some added density in my thin crown.

So, why stop? Two reasons. One is my new bride. Although I'm convinced of the safety of conceiving children on Propecia, I have not been very successful in convincing her. She has urged me to quit before having children and I feel I should comply with her wishes.

My second reason and the one that has finally made me stop right now is that, for the past year and a half, I have been experiencing extreme breakouts. Not what I would call normal pimples but deep bumps that linger and leave dark spots and in some cases scars. I'm 43 and had some complexion problems through my 20's but had been virtually blemish-free for at least 10 years prior to this recent attack. While my doctors assure me that this is not a side effect of finasteride, I feel that monkeying with my hormones may just be the catalyst and I'm out of solutions. I've been off the drug two weeks now and I think I've already seen a decline in the number of spots popping up.

I'm still not fully committed to quitting and may resume taking it but, for the moment, I'm trying to come to terms with the reality of rapidly losing the hair I've retained over the past year and wondering how soon I may need another hair transplant.

Wish me luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

That is a difficult situation my friend. I wish you all the best. I am at the beginning stages of hair loss (Norwood 2). If my hair loss progresses I will most likely try propecia. Is there any evidence at all that taking Propecia could affect having a child? I am very much on the fence about it all.

Please keep us updated as to what you experience. It will be of great value to the rest of us.

Thanks and good luck!

There's no evidence that taking propecia whilst trying to conceive will affect a child, but if a pregnant woman handles the pill or comes into contact with it it can cause birth defects.

I have always felt this is one of the drawbacks of propecia. Although there is no evidence that a man who is taking propecia will have a higher chance of producing a baby with birth defects, I think most sensible men would be hard pushed to use the drug whilst trying to conceive. It's one of those situations where, as logically as you look at it, if anything was to be wrong with the child (no matter how small or unimportant), you'd find it very hard not to at least feel guilty if you were still on the drug, even if the evidence suggests otherwise.

The other drawback I find with propecia is in fact related to the other factor David mentions! Propecia is a lifelong drug that you have to take no matter how you as an individual change; irrespective of illness, physical condition, lifestyle or environmental changes etc. Whilst I do believe propecia is essentially safe, you are taking a drug that causes a consistent change to an inconsistent body. For most people I doubt this ever matters, but I can understand the anxiety some people have about this. You are not going to be hormonally the same at 50 as you were at 20, but propecia will continue to do what it does regardless of this. There is no specific scientific data that this causes a problem, but it is an idea I am somewhat uncomfortable with!

Thanks for letting us know David! I really hope the loss isn't too severe and I'm sure another HT can compensate, even if it is a hassle. But more importantly, congratulations on the bride and the forthcoming baby! These are most definitely priorities above and beyond hairloss, so everybody will understand where you're coming from!

It will be interesting to see how your withdrawal from propecia unfolds if you are planning to document it. I wish you all the best with what was no doubt a difficult decision, but equally no doubt for the right reasons!

Thanks guys!

if anything was to be wrong with the child (no matter how small or unimportant), you'd find it very hard not to at least feel guilty if you were still on the drug, even if the evidence suggests otherwise.

mahhong,

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. The thought had already occurred to me. Better to play it safe. Especially given that my wife is quite concerned about it.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

If your wife is concerned about it then you really have no choice. I still have never heard of a child being born with side effects from Fin... But like mahong said, better safe then sorry. All the best David. I hope you get to keep as much hair as possible.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dave,

Thank you for sharing your recent change with the community! Best of luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Did'nt Spex's wife have twins while he was on Propecia? It's a tough decision for sure my friend. If you believe it is helping you hold onto your crown or any other native hair, you may end up having to transplant it later because it may be beyond saving.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think your decision makes sense and I would do the same thing under the circumstances. Best of luck and hopefully it won't have too big of an impact on your hair. Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thanks for all the support guys! I will probably start to post monthly photos not only for the benefit of the community but also for myself.

I'm becoming more comfortable with my decision.

Good luck! I hope it doesn't impact you too much! But congrats on trying for a child! I think you've made the right desicion for the child and your marriage :) And afterwards you can always jump back on!

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

I went through the exact same thing. That's why I stopped for 10 years. Got married, had two kids, etc. I can honestly say I wish I wouldn't have , but I certainly understand.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• 4 months later...

Hi David, you have been off finasteride for a while. I am wondering if you noticed any changes in your hair, texture, or anything as of yet. I hope your hairs are still growing strong.

I think I am just a tad bit cautious too in the next few months when I consider about having kids. I feel I have been really responsive to proscar 1.25 mg a day. I am scared to get off it but at the same time I am wondering if it's wise to be on it when trying to have children. Do you by any chance know how long it will take for a person to shed hairs when they come off it? Is there a window period that I can return back to it without losing much. I am just wondering if the shed is bound to happen and if so how long will it take after discontinuing the drug.

Sean,

Thanks! So far I have not seen any noticeable increase in shedding. Every day I wait to find a bunch of hairs in my hand when applying Rogaine but it has not yet happened. I've also not noticed an increase in hairs around the sink yet. I'm trying not to become too optimistic because I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I've considered going back on it but I am also concerned about the acne I suffered during the last year or so I took it. I noticed a sharp decline in breakouts after stopping finasteride. Coincidence? Who knows? But I'm not eager to start the blemishes all over again.

"Catch-up" hair loss is supposed to occur over the first six months or so after stopping the drug. Estimates vary but I believe that in most cases guys can quit for about two weeks without suffering a noticeable impact.

I'll try to get some decent photos posted for comparison.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I have not taken any photos of my hair in months but I'm pretty sure it's holding steady at this point. I have not noticed any increase in shedding. I often plan to take pics and never seem to get around to it. I'll do my best to get some this weekend.

If I may ask, has the wife gotten pregnant yet? It's been quite a while now.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hey RC,

We've postponed that phase of our lives until we get relocated. We are presently house hunting. Hopefully we get the baby going in the next few months. I'm not getting any younger!

Just my 2 cents on this same topic. Ive been off Fin since October last year since the side effects became suddenly untenable . I had been on it 3 and a half years.

I had the results of blood work in April.

Alhough all are within normal range except this is the Key point. My Free Testosterone Level which was 12. Normal range is between 9-27 apparently. Im 32 years of age. In good shape and hit the gym 4/5 times a week. A level of 12 could be for someone twice my age .!

People need to be careful seeing a result 'Within normal range'. The key criteria in all these results is what is WITHIN NORMAL RANGE FOR YOUR AGE. Most people will come out in normal range but this normal range covers a spectrum of Men from 18-65.! This is a very important point people should bear in mind.

I knew something was not right back in October my libido was nowhere near what it was.

Theres no doubt it was due to the Fin. Im now in the process of getting more blood tests done in the next couple of weeks to check for a recovery in my levels.

What i will say is since the last couple of months i have noticed quite a big recovery and this is the first month i would say i am just about back to my pre fin state in all areas. It seems my hormone levels took over 6 months but have now rebounded considerably.

Never going near it again.!

Edited by Bobilero

• 1 month later...

It's been about 9 months since I quit finasteride. You may recall that I did so for two reasons. The first and most important was that my wife didn't like it. We had been talking about starting a family but have since postponed that idea while we try to purchase a home and relocate to another state.

The second reason was that I'd been experiencing severe acne for approximately 1.5 years prior and had suspected the cause was finasteride despite being told by a number of doctors that it was not possible.

All I can say for sure is that over the past few months I saw the minor side effects from finasteride slowly disappear and I believe that I am fully back to "normal" in terms of semen viscosity, frequency of erections, etc. I never did have any libido issues.

Perhaps coincidence or perhaps not, the acne also slowly began to clear up during this period. Since I'd been to three dermatologists and my GP months prior to this and had tried a number of treatments with little success I can only assume that stopping fin brought my skin back to normal. Still get the occasional blemish but nothing like the horror I'd been experiencing.

I've had a number of inquiries about how my hair is holding up and I apologize for not presenting quality pics. I snapped these just this morning with my webcam straight out of bed. No products in my hair and I've not colored it in a while so this is what it looks like in its natural state. I don't think I've seen any significant loss since stopping finasteride. I have continued to use Rogaine Foam twice daily and Nizoral twice weekly.

5b32d3d090bb2_Picture99.jpg.16cc02a7c50f815e1ea124af39610dfe.jpg

5b32d3d0b1392_Picture100.jpg.0e79337f82dfe5765c4e4e39c383f13a.jpg

5b32d3d14436d_Picture101.jpg.89a294ea1dbd5aea83c78cf0ea75acae.jpg

Looking good. I think almost all of you from is transplant so that is good. I did look at your post profile and I got a little concerned at the difference in your personal photos and the clinics photos. I you that you are in good standing with your doc, but I was wondering what your thoughts were about the difference in appearance in your 13 month photos and your 2nd preop and post op? Did you lose hair or was it more of an angle thing?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.