Looking for a doctor that does great work with hairlines...?

joshelstad

I have already consulted with Rahal, I am still continuing my search.

I would like to know if anyone out there has recommendations for surgeons that are producing dense, natural looking hairlines that would be appropriate for a guy that is 28 years old.

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any pics for us to see? What NW are you? What did Rahal say? He is def known for his densely packed nice hairlines.

You've already consulted with the master of hairlines, what more do you need? :D

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

The docs recommended on this site can all deliver a great hairline. Just remember to work really closely with them in designing it.

Dr. Feller, Dr. Rahal, Dr. Alexander, Dr. Hasson were my top pics. I ended up choosing Dr. Feller for my hair restoration. Unfortunately my hairline was really designed by Joseph Karamikian and Dr. Feller's job was to fill in the gaps of that design. I would have loved for Dr. F to have done the original design.

I also really like Dr. Arocha's hairline designs...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

You should look into Shapiro Medical Group (SMG). The doctors you are looking at are all really great doctors, so just consult with several and decide who you are most comfortable with.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I wasn't impressed with SMG or Rahal. I had an in phone consultation with a guy at SMG and the conversation was basically an one hour argument about why SMG was the best. He didn't even ask me a single question about what I wanted from the procedure or what I was expecting... It was him TELLING me why SMG was better than Hasson and Wong and Rahal... a complete one-sided conversation. I wanted to just hang up on him.

Rahal wants to transplant too many grafts. I am cautious about being so aggressive when I am so young.

At this point I feel the most comfortable with Dr. Wong or True and Dorin.

Edited by joshelstad

I wasn't impressed with SMG or Rahal. I had an in phone consultation with a guy at SMG and I the conversation what basically a one hour argument about why SMG was the best. He didn't even ask me a single question about what I wanted from the procedure or what I was expecting... It was him TELLING me why SMG was better than Hasson and Wong and Rahal... a complete one-sided conversation. I wanted to just hang up on him.

Rahal wants to transplant too many grafts. I am cautious about being so aggressive when I am so young.

Too bad about your consultation at SMG. That's certainly the first time I've heard anything negative about their consultation process/reps. No one can blame you for walking away on this one.

I think it also shows how competitive some of these clinics are getting. I've been hearing a lot of stories about how certain clinics are dramatically lowering their prices to attract business. Generally, this is a good thing for any market because the consumer benefits most. However, let's hope standards aren't being lowered either...

As far as Rahal suggesting 3,000 grafts, just remember that you can always insist on less, if you feel like he is the man for the job. Either way, the fact that you're not jumping into an aggressive, dense packing HT shows that you're smart, cautious and serious about your procedure and future. You're definitely asking all the right questions and doing your due diligence. Kudos to you!

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Hey Josh, I hear ya..... The sales type of a approach is likely to run me off fast as well.

And yeah... these docs differ radically when it comes to how aggressive/conservative they approach HT's. I went with a doc that tends to go for more FUT's, but my level of MPB is fairly high.

Not sure where you live, but after reading what you're looking for.... I think you should call Dr Konior - he is Chicago. Two of the docs you mentioned are little more conservative too (True/Dorin). Definitely sounds like you are the right track.

Edited by Ahairdown

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

At this point I feel the most comfortable with Dr. Wong or True and Dorin.

Josh,

Choosing between Wong and T&D is going to be a tough one. If I understand correctly, H&W quoted 2,500 grafts and T&D quoted you 2,200 grafts. I don't think the 300 graft difference will make any difference to the naked eye, even up close. Therefore, you're going to have to consider other variables. One that comes to my mind is temple points...

I haven't seen a lot of Wong's temple point work. I really can't recall any off hand, which is strange because I consider myself pretty familiar with their work. What I see coming from H&W is generally mega-sessions on NW4s and above. I don't know what their philosophy on temple points is, but if I were you, I'd make sure to find out and to examine several of their results specifically concerning temple points.

Temple points are essential, especially for NW3s and below, because we're in such an auspicious position of achieving and regaining a true NW1 hairline... of which temple points are a fundamental component. They complete the framing of the face and bring the whole HT together.

I remember a few cases of NW3s coming from H&W who had no temple point work done whatsoever. I always wondered about it, but I figure it was either just a philosophical difference, unique to the patient, or due to donor supply. So I'd really look into it because you definitely need temple point work done. I'm sure Jotronic will assist you with that, just ask.

Both clinics produce outstanding results and both have an exceptional reputation for post-op patient care, follow up and standing behind their work. It's going to be a tough decision, but you're definitely on the right track. I'm sure it'll all fall into place soon enough.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I'm really surprised to hear that about SMG. Their reps on this forum don't come across as hard-sell types at all and are generally really helpful even to other clinic's patients....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yeah, doesn't sound like the SMG I know. Sure you weren't talking with Dr. Larry Shapiro?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

The recommendation you were given would be the number of grafts Dr Rahal feels you need for the type of result you're looking for. If you do want to conserve donor and perhaps reduce the density or go with a slightly higher hairline then that is entirely possible. Dr Rahal isn't going to insist on doing it one way and in doing so go against the patient's wishes. When I'm in communication with patients, sometimes I'll go back to Dr Rahal and let him know that a patient wants to use fewer grafts (for whatever reason) and then a revised quote is given.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Surprised that was your experience at SMG. Mine was completely the opposite. They are a class act, have outstanding patient care and are one of the elite clinics. They were very complimentary of the other doctors I consulted with, including the ones mentioned here. They have also complimented the orher clinics work here on this forum. At the end of the day, SMG along with others mentioned on this thread are world class in skill, patient care and results.

All these doctor mentioned are world class. Too bad about the SMG because I have heard nothing but good things about the doctors. Although this is not the first time I have heard the reps like to bad mouth other clinics.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I have had a lot of consultations, both in person and over the phone. My consultation with SMG ended up being an entire conversation about SMG being the leader in the business and top of the the line. It even spiraled to the point of him bringing up other clinics and why SMG is "better".

30 minutes into the conversation, I had maybe said 5 words and was looking for a reason to hang up the phone. When I finally got a word in to explain my situation, he said, "Maybe you would do better going some where else". I honestly said 2 minutes worth of my situation, he spoke for the other 50 minutes as if he was trying to sell me SMG like I was buying a car.

Anyway, I am down to Rahal, Hasson and Wong, or True and Dorin. Hasson and Wong are closest to me and I am pretty impressed with their work.

Hmm... maybe you just caught Zup on an off day. He probably thought he just needed to educate you the patient on the practices and techniques utilized by SMG in contrast to those by other clinics. He's a very passionate guy and I know he goes the extra mile to make sure the patient knows what they are getting into. And, of course, he's proud of the work that SMG has put out. Why wouldn't he be?

But at any rate, if you don't feel comfortable with SMG then no harm done. You do have quality clinics listed and I'm sure you'll get a great result with whomever you choose.

This reminds me of a thread by an old poster by the name of pleasegrowplease. He was really put off by the consultant of Dr. Konior and let the forums know about it. Dr. Konior called him up inviting him back to the clinic, and PGP returned to the forums singing Dr. Konior's praises - and rightly so. Sometimes it all just boils down to a communication breakdown.... and sometimes a second look is warranted.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Haha, That must be Matt Zupan, I spoke to him before too. About Rahal buddy, They are great, its just that you can be the one who make you own decision. When they told me I needed 2500 grafts, I demanded 2200 grafts so they agreed and accepted without an argue or hassle. However the year after I got better financially and went for 2500 grafts based on my personal interest.

So if i were in your shoes I would just demand how much grafts I need. They just gave you a consultation, its not a bible to follow. Cause you cant miss having a great hairline with the king of hairline Dr. Rahal. Ask to talk to him personally to negotiate about your graft counts, it helped me a lot. Try that.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Well, thanks you for your support, many of you, that’s very nice.

Sometimes it is hard to be diplomatic, and on a rare occasion with a strong patient, things are taken and go wrong.

Yes, with in my consultation, I will touch on our clinics credentials, which I would think every patient would want a sense of.....I would. Then I get into education, which some patients feel they know already and don't always want to hear.

I do respect these other doctors and do know them, these names mentioned simply are the best, and consistently produce the high quality results in the business, out of nearly a 1000 doctors in our profession.

However, there are times, in explaining differences in philosophy and our approach, I can get adamant about going to low, broad and strong. The concerns about being too aggressive along the anterior border. Patients for years and picky patients and knowledgeable patients have sought us out for great, natural looking hairlines. And, sometimes there is a face off. I can come up with many accuses, but bottom line...sometimes I am not that SWEET, I wish I was, but the tone with the patient goes down the wrong path.

I've done these appointments for 21 years, and only for SMG, and have been with Dr Shapiro from the beginning. I like to be a great representative for both Dr Ron and Paul Shapiro, because they both deserve it.

I try to make my consults, primarily educational in explaining the procedure and the principles of Hair Transplantation. I have no interest in being a salesman, but I may stress the facts. Fortunately, we are always busy and the need to sale is not there. I feel very comfortable to say, to a potential patient, for him to feel assured, there is no one in the industry that can do anything better than us, but a few can match us. And, then I try to support this so they can come up with the same conclusion.

I am very aware, H&W and Rahal, have their loyal patients that are very defensive if they hear something negative about them; I applaud you. Both these groups, from the inside scene, are the BEST, and that won't change.

I am passionate, and a bit prideful I guess of our clinic, I am sorry, sometimes I get a little over zealous. This industry can be a crap shoot, and I know that patients that go to these doctors and a modest number of others are going to get there goals meet and be happy.

The one thing I hope is, that the patients that have been to our clinic, feel I never BS them, and that nearly, if not everything I said, was in-line with what they would experience and they were not miss lead.

Sorry Josh, for taking over that phone consultation....Matt Zupan

Edited by Zup

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

Zup,

Many people who are in the know are aware that you guys stand behind your work and most importantly your word, not like some other clinics...

Take care of my buddy as i am sure u will!! Ill be going to u guys when i can figure out when i can take some down time off work.

I will also add that after my initial consult with Matt, he answered all follow up questions promptly, whether at night or on the weekend or during the work week.

producing dense, natural looking hairlines that would be appropriate for a guy that is 28 years old.

If this is what you want then the man for the job is Dr. Rahal. I have had two HTs with him and I would highly recommend.

Dr. Rahal is a very ethical Surgeon and wouldn't transplant more grafts than what he thought was safe. He is known for being aggressive because he aims to create results which are more than an illusion of density and are less see through in harsh lighting. He aims for actual density. But he only does this with suitable candidates (age, above average donor supply) and not everyone.

So you will see quite a few results from Dr. Rahal where he has given someone Rock Star hair. And this seems to wind a few of the cautious members up....