HT with Dr. Keller - Chicago, 3170 grafts

Archi, your results so far are amazing! Dr. Keller really is a great surgeon. I wish more people were aware of how good he is.

Thanks so much RCWest. I know you and I both, as well as many others I hear from, feel that way, and I've always wondered - even before my initial consult with any doctor- why there was such a lack of personal experiences posted on these boards even though there are thousands of happy people out there due to him and his incredible results. That is why I vowed when I first found this site and these forums and got SO much help from everyone that had posted and the people that answered all my initial questions, that I would post my results and document my experience in detail, however the results were, from day one.

Thanks again...best wishes.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some surgeons/clinics just have bigger "fan clubs" than others on the forums. There are a lot of really great surgeons here that for whatever reason don't get as much "press" on the forum even though their work and results are equally good. I love this forum and it was really a big help for me when I was doing my research. One downside though is that new people looking potentially miss out on researching some great docs who just happen to have less posters than whoever might be more popular at the time the research is done. I really don' intend that as a criticism.......it is just the nature af a forum like this......it can feel like a popularity contest at times.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hey Sean, thanks for the reply and addressing the wispy hair issue. At 7.5 months you only have 1 or 2 whispy hairs? I think you are one of the few very lucky ones.

My hair is naturally very straight, and I would say the majority of the 3000 plus grafts are not straight. From everything I have read, it take at least one cycle, usually a couple of hair shedding and coming back before they are full mature and straight.

I'm jealous. :)

And yes, I am looking forward to the "final" result, when the shafts are as thick as they are going to get.

I'll check out your pics/blog.

Thanks again.

I don't know if there were certain things I did that made a difference to reduce whispy hairs. I feel that my fast growth may have played a role by using rogaine foam as well as biotin/msm etc. My hairs all around were naturally thinner and finer. The texture changed substantially throughout my entire scalp when I started using rogaine foam+supplements+propecia. Even my areas that I had no transplant in, the texture of hair got better.

Just checked out your website Sean and needless to say your results look amazing. And you got some great, good-looking thick hair to start with. I can also see why transplants grow in so straight, your hair looks really thick and straight. Mine is more on the fine side as far as diameter.

One thing, you mentioned that you were going to take pics of the donor area after you had your hair faded, but I didn't see any. I was looking forward to see what that looked like.

Keep me posted man. Looks great so far!

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I may not have had adequate photos posted on my hair loss website, however, I do have monthly videos. I made one just for the donor area too:

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients

I think your on your way to an outstanding result man. It looks great and I think I told you before, your density, number of hairs, area covered, definitely will work out to your favor.

Very excited to see your growth, very happy for you, and can't wait to see your next update.

southbeach,

Youve come a long way! Congratulations! Things are really coming together now and your results are really shining through. For sure the next few months are all about thickening and maturaion of the hairs. Your documentation has been great, you deserve your rewards. Enjoy your new found hairline!

Hey Raphael84,

SO sorry for not replying to this. I think I had mentioned that it was midterms with school and also working a lot, so I go sidetracked. Then I was looking through the thread at my progress pics and posts and came across yours and one other that I am going to apologize to next.

Thanks so much for the compliments and all the positive words I look forward to thickening aspect, as hoping that will help also with the "curly/whispy" hair part. Thanks for the kudos on the documentation as well.

I can't begin to tell you how much my new hairline has changed me and subsequently my life. I am really a new person....more so on the inside, but it is gradually coming out in confidence. :)

Best wishes to you.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

Southbeach,

Did you get any grafts in your crown?

Hey lcsulla,

Same VERY sorry goes to you for the reasons I just mentioned in the previous post/apology. I got sidetracked and was so busy, and then lost track of your post.

To answer your question though, initially it was not planned to put any in the crown area. I had started taking Finasteride the month prior and the doctor and I decided to wait and see how well that treatment worked for that area. I definitely wanted to concentrate on the front and the two "triangles" going back.

But, since they did end up harvesting more grafts than first thought, I think they may have placed a FEW in the crown. To be honest I don't even remember as I was so ecstatic to have ANYthing in the front and top again. I looked through some of the post-op pics and I think that I can see some scabs though.

I am going to attach the one pic where you may be able to see what I am talking about (it was taken two days after surgery with my hair wet).

So, after that long-winded answer, the short answer is, yes I believe a very few were placed in the crown. :)

Sorry again, and best wishes.

5b32d254995f2_crownpostopcropped.jpg.59595a7873b68ab8acfd0f1d74db6ebe.jpg

My Hair Loss Web Site

Southbeach,

Did you get any grafts in your crown?

Hey lcsulla,

Same VERY sorry goes to you for the reasons I just mentioned in the previous post/apology. I got sidetracked and was so busy, and then lost track of your post.

To answer your question though, initially it was not planned to put any in the crown area. I had started taking Finasteride the month prior and the doctor and I decided to wait and see how well that treatment worked for that area. I definitely wanted to concentrate on the front and the two "triangles" going back.

But, since they did end up harvesting more grafts than first thought, I think they may have placed a FEW in the crown. To be honest I don't even remember as I was so ecstatic to have ANYthing in the front and top again. I looked through some of the post-op pics and I think that I can see some scabs though.

I am going to attach the one pic where you may be able to see what I am talking about (it was taken two days after surgery with my hair wet).

So, after that long-winded answer, the short answer is, yes I believe a very few grafts were placed in the crown, but not 100% sure or any numbers if so. :)

Sorry again, and best wishes.

5b32d254b3066_crownpostopcropped.jpg.680ee9bf6cb85e10de0b3f9f4c7926d4.jpg

My Hair Loss Web Site

I think some surgeons/clinics just have bigger "fan clubs" than others on the forums. There are a lot of really great surgeons here that for whatever reason don't get as much "press" on the forum even though their work and results are equally good. I love this forum and it was really a big help for me when I was doing my research. One downside though is that new people looking potentially miss out on researching some great docs who just happen to have less posters than whoever might be more popular at the time the research is done. I really don' intend that as a criticism.......it is just the nature af a forum like this......it can feel like a popularity contest at times.

I could not have said that better myself. I feel I was so lucky to stumble across this board. I feel like I had done enough research to know enough, but you can't find the amount of support on here, and the number of doctors that are at a certain level so that you can begin researching, anywhere else. The whole process is so overwhelming and this site takes a lot of that away. And I definitely agree about certain docs getting an oddly disproportionate amount of press and new people missing out on some hidden gems of doctors that may not receive that amount of press for whatever unknown reason.

Also, thanks on the input as to the whispy hairs. I asked Dr. Keller, and he confirmed as I thought...that the hairs don't necessarily have to cycle out and back in, that in fact they should grow thicker in diameter as they are growing in. I guess I would say similarly to a tree. I can't wait for my trees to grow more! :D

My Hair Loss Web Site

I don't know if there were certain things I did that made a difference to reduce whispy hairs. I feel that my fast growth may have played a role by using rogaine foam as well as biotin/msm etc. My hairs all around were naturally thinner and finer. The texture changed substantially throughout my entire scalp when I started using rogaine foam+supplements+propecia. Even my areas that I had no transplant in, the texture of hair got better.

Yeah, I had extremely fast growth, it's just not thickening as fast. I have been tossing the idea around of Rogaine for years. I just don't know if it is something I want to take on. And always knowing it is something you have to do everyday forever....daunting to me.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I may not have had adequate photos posted on my hair loss website, however, I do have monthly videos. I made one just for the donor area too:

I think your on your way to an outstanding result man. It looks great and I think I told you before, your density, number of hairs, area covered, definitely will work out to your favor.

Very excited to see your growth, very happy for you, and can't wait to see your next update.

Very nice touch with the videos. They give people such a better idea of the results. Your hair is amazing! One of the reasons I did not go with the FUE was the higher risk of damage to the follicles, but it seems you had no problem at all.

And back at you...happy for you and look forward to seeing your continuing great results. You really look great man.

My Hair Loss Web Site

I said I wasn't going to be able to take 8 month pics, but I did manage to snap a few the week after. They aren't the best quality - just took them real quick with my phone after I woke up. Next month will be better, and more of them.

5b32d25f5692f_leftanglecropped.jpg.4870ea4c3816cafde6be8c593e58208e.jpg

5b32d25f6ab07_rightanglecropped.jpg.3ea8f275f0569c37d7c75a56de6e02f3.jpg

My Hair Loss Web Site

Looking pretty damn good to me!

Thanks a lot man! I checked out your pics/website and right back at you! So, you had yours about a month and a half prior to me. Have you noticed your hairs thickening? Were yours whispy and wirey? Mine are getting better....just curious. I'm thinking as it thickens not only will it even look better, but also hoping it helps with that curl.

Best of luck.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Thanks dude. I have to admit that I've noticed a pretty big difference these last couple weeks and I'm almost 10 months post-op. I even got a couple new zits. So yes, more can and probably will happen. Funny thing is is that these past few weeks have shown more improvement than the last three months combined! So carry on - you're most likely not a finished product yet!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I appreciate you sharing. Can you be any more specific on the improvement you have shown in past few weeks, being even more than the past 3 months?

I definitely have felt pretty much the same for the past 3-4 months. I'm sure it's just because I see it every day, and now that I have it - many times a day. lol.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Well, with the zits I must be getting new growth still. However, I believe most of the improvement is from maturation and thickening of the transplanted hairs.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Update:

So, I actually had a small additional HT a couple of weeks ago but just haven't had time to even really sit down and write about it.

Since I was so happy with the results of my first HT, I went back to have a scar covered up from a teenage accident. I had a really bad car accident when I was 18, and actually had a large cut on my head and then they had to actually open up my head as well. I've had a scar on the side of my head ever since and I was always self-conscious of it - secondarily of course compared to when I started losing my hair. So, since the top was fixed, I thought I would ask about getting the scar covered. You can see it in most of my pics probably from pre-op to 7 months, depending on how long I had my hair. It is on the right side of my head going vertically from the front of my ear up kind of towards my temple.

I went back to Dr. Keller and asked what he thought and asked about how many grafts it would take. He said it would definitely not be a problem, and that usually grafts can take well in scar tissue of course with variable factors. He also estimated around 200-300 grafts.

Since I had relatively unnoticeable scarring from my first, I opted for FUT. When Dr. Keller harvested the strip, he actually got about 600 (I’ll get the exact numbers) grafts.

He is such a nice person. On such a small procedure, he gave me 300-400 extra grafts and asked where I wanted them. I was happy with the first HT, but I would say that most people that have had thinning/lost hair can agree, I think we always want more! So I said on the top, of course. He went through and strategically placed the remaining grafts.

So, the healing process starts again but on a much smaller scale this time. I could NOT be HAPPIER with the results! The ugly scar that I have been aware of for half my life is completely gone and all the grafts seem to have taken in the scar tissue.....AND I got a free 300-400 for my "triangles" on top of my head.

Life is good. :)

My Hair Loss Web Site

Thanks orlhair1 !

My Hair Loss Web Site

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's been 9 months since my first procedure and 1 month since my second small one.

These are the first pics I have posted since the second procedure. I know I am going to be happy. Just more of a waiting game, again.

It is going to be so great having that old scar (car wreck at age 18) on the side covered up. I think you can see it now on the right side pic because the transplanted hairs fell out. But once they come back, NO MORE scar from that car wreck ...so happy!

I can't believe how much effect the first surgery had on my self-esteem and overall mood. No more having to comb my hair just right, or looking in the mirror every five minutes to make sure it didn't move and show my receding hairline. No more panics going out in the wind. I cannot voice enough for anyone out there contemplating a HT, you don't have to live like that. I think there is so much old, outdated notions about HT. If you do your research, you'll see what work is currently being done. I speak for myself as far as the financial aspect of it, when I say that at the time, could I really have financially afforded it? No. Could I have emotionally afforded to go without it? No. In my mind, I would do whatever it took to make the finances work and I have. Whatever the financial stress was, it was so worth it to know that I will forEVER have hair in the front and NEVER recede again. Again, I can only speak for myself.

I really needed this at the point in my life where I was at. I would do it all over, exactly the same way if I had the chance to go back in time....well, I actually would have done it maybe a few years earlier.

Anyway, take a look. Wish everyone the best.

5b32d2ac69305_croppedfront.jpg.bda1abfa0f41785b5ac1e12f3416e7cb.jpg

5b32d2ac97109_croppedleft.jpg.a2f1fc6f658a6dbf1ae54a8dc066f0c9.jpg

5b32d2aca85f9_croppedright.jpg.49a00f4113fe2e8bae4abe6da18f2115.jpg

5b32d2acb8d3a_croppedfrontleftangle.jpg.35204620426d1f331c16c9d07f723f55.jpg

5b32d2acc9cdc_croppedfrontrightangle.jpg.b36349f0e165f012cdcd639c37e06a99.jpg

5b32d2acd8ff3_croppedback.jpg.f1fb8534c1d6385520414832642c1f7b.jpg

5b32d2acecd30_croppedtop.jpg.bfacebc6549c50a26527249fa3e73ccd.jpg

Edited by southbeacharchi

My Hair Loss Web Site

Southbeach

You are looking great at this point!!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. And back at you, as I have been following your progress. You are around that point at which I was probably the most excited during the process.

Best of luck with the continued growth for you.

My Hair Loss Web Site

I still can't tell if the finasteride is helping at all. Any opinions?

My Hair Loss Web Site

SouthBeach, in your 9 month post op photos, you look great!

In my opinion, I think the finasteride has helped your hair overall. I can tell by comparing your before pics to recent ones. I think it is probably preserving and thickening up some areas and you might be able to notice a texture change in your hair. The hairs do look stronger now overall. How long have you been on it?

SouthBeach, in your 9 month post op photos, you look great!

In my opinion, I think the finasteride has helped your hair overall. I can tell by comparing your before pics to recent ones. I think it is probably preserving and thickening up some areas and you might be able to notice a texture change in your hair. The hairs do look stronger now overall. How long have you been on it?

Thank-you very much Sean for the compliments and feedback. It is so much harder to notice the effects, if any, of the finasteride versus a HT.

How can you tell that the hairs look stronger? This along with the thickness of the hair follicles that people speak of as far as hair maturation, are the things I want to be able to look for and analyze.

I've been on it for about 10 months. I know it is said to wait at least a year before even beginning to evaluate its effectiveness but....

Thanks again for your input.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Southbeach your hair looks great. And it's awesome and reassuring to hear someone being as thrilled as you are. Sometimes you look at pictures and they show a dramatic transformation and yet the words that accompany it are 'happy with the result', 'pleased so far' etc.

Everyone and every case is different of course but losing your hair is such a crushing experience, it fkin hurts, so getting it back along with your confidence, looks etc should invoke the same magnitude of emotion.

Pleased for you fella. Enjoy the new locks!

Southbeach your hair looks great. And it's awesome and reassuring to hear someone being as thrilled as you are. Sometimes you look at pictures and they show a dramatic transformation and yet the words that accompany it are 'happy with the result', 'pleased so far' etc.

Everyone and every case is different of course but losing your hair is such a crushing experience, it fkin hurts, so getting it back along with your confidence, looks etc should invoke the same magnitude of emotion.

Pleased for you fella. Enjoy the new locks!

Hey Slickers. So sorry about the delay. Started a fairly new job and just can't get used to the hours of commuting. I just come home and crash every day.

Thanks so much for the incredibly nice compliments man. And I can completely relate to what you said. Sometimes I don't know how some people are not more excited. I still remember about the time that i saw my first HT commercial (won't mention names) but after already struggling with self-esteem issues anyway and then just like you said, the crushing of what little was left by knowing my hair was receding in my early 20's, discovering that it was an alternative to a rug glued to my head was truly amazing. But from that point up until recently, it was just a dream and I never thought I could afford it. Probably can't afford it now, but I just got to a point where I personally needed it for me, no matter the cost.

Sorry, enough rambling. I'm really glad that my excitement and my new, changed attitude comes through in my story/posts/experience. I'm not sure of your story, but I definitely wish you the best. Feel free to hit me up if you need anything or have any questions.

Cheers, buddy across the pond. :)

My Hair Loss Web Site