HT with Dr. Keller - Chicago, 3170 grafts

Edit

Please note: Periodic updates including pictures - 2 months through 15 months post-op are later in this post, make sure you check out the other pages. And from now on, I will be posting the updates with pictures on this thread (I didn't know what I was doing when I started this, one of my first threads. :)

Original thread:

As promised, here are some before pictures followed by some after pictures taken 2 days after the surgery. I received 3170 grafts, but need to ask for the exact breakdown of singles, doubles, etc. I was supposed to receive 3000, but they harvested an extra 170 and gave them to me for free! Many were placed in the receding sides, but he also did some temporal work and added more to the entire front middle. Sorry, don't know all the lingo.

As far as the procedure goes, I would have to say that Dr. Keller and his ENTIRE staff have to be the nicest people in the business. Four technicians, the nurse, and Dr. Keller were there with me throughout the day. I was constantly asked if I was ok, feeling ok, hungry, thirsty, needed anything etc.

To illustrate how nice they are, I got off at the wrong train station, I called to tell them I may be a little late. They asked where I was and told me to stay there. The doctor gave the nurse his car to come pick me up!

I promised to document my experience with Dr. Keller, due to the lack of patient experiences and documentation so far from patients of his on this site even though he is a recommended doctor. I reviewed and researched extensively and from the results I saw of his, I could not see why he was not spoken about just as much as other local doctors such as Dr. Konior and Dr. Shapiro (not in Chicago, but close enough). So far, I would rank him just as good as them and feel that he is one of the HT world's biggest secrets. :)

I will keep updating as time goes by. I now need to go prop myself up in that uncomfortable position to sleep.....I can't wait to sleep normal on my side again. lol

5b32cf116c7f4_topcropped.jpg.cb130834174ba40b4b895d779af9e919.jpg

5b32cf1187d75_leftcropped.jpg.8fc7766db9ddd452fce14ebef77d30dd.jpg

5b32cf11948b3_rightcropped.jpg.541dbddb2e6f943951b264fb77852912.jpg

5b32cf11ad4db_topangledcropped.jpg.b135e53d1c439ae87118549e0aa490ca.jpg

5b32cf11bccb3_angledleftfrontcropped.jpg.9ff4b017917b12227b5f1fe9b2ead3ae.jpg

5b32cf1216082_angledrightfrontcropped.jpg.32d4258366270a163b3cc04fa4e54374.jpg

Edited by southbeacharchi

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Southbeacharchi! Please keep us posted with your progress. You are right in that we need more Dr. Keller patients posting on here. The work looks good. Heal well, grow well.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Archi,

Looking good bro!

I really like the new frame this is going to give you. That seems like a good amount of grafts to give you the density and coverage that you'll need and want.

Also, I noticed a pattern emerging in your pre-op pics... are you on Propecia or Rogain? If not, I'd definitely discuss that with your doc asap. You don't want to lose anymore now that you got this new head of hair coming your way.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Do keep us updated. I'm interested to see more work from Dr. Keller.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

thanks aaron and corvette,

i really appreciate feedback as to how it looks, everything taken into consideration. i know it is way too early to draw any conclusions. now begins the waiting game...from what i read, is the hardest part.

corvette, i checked out your pics....really good looks. do you happen to have any immediately post-op pics....or "scabby" pics as i have begun to call them. :)

hope you both are doing well.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

corvette, i checked out your pics....really good looks. do you happen to have any immediately post-op pics....or "scabby" pics as i have begun to call them.

Yes, I do have immediate post-op pics from both of my procedures.

I understand that you are new to the HTN so I'll assume you don't know your way around the website quite yet.

To see my pics, please see my hair loss website. Here is how you get to it...

Click the link below in my signature that says "My Hair Loss Website- Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin." It will direct you to another page where you can follow my entire experience. Click on the links on the left side to see bimonthly updates.

Also, if you look above, you can search through hundreds of HT patients experiences by their username or by their doctor. It's a very useful tool indeed. Good luck.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

oh, and corvette, yes....i started propecia, well 1/4 Proscar (can't afford Propecia) about a month before surgery. thanks for the observation and tip.

you know self-perception is so amazing. i always was only worried about and only thought my receeding hairline was the problem. before consultations i would tell the doctor, "no, the top and crown are fine." then i goto the consultations and they take a comb and a mirror and i was blown away.

i've told everyone i know that I will not go bald...i will fight this every step of the way. :)

My Hair Loss Web Site

southbeach, You will be amazed at what a huge difference those new temple points are going to make in your appearance. Work looks good, and I agree Dr. Keller flies under the radar here but seems like he's putting out some really excellent work.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

thanks hairthere, really appreciate the feedback.

wish you the best,

My Hair Loss Web Site

Thanks orlhair1. Looks like you are going to have a great outcome as well. Shapiro really did a good job. Now we both are in the waiting game. :)

My Hair Loss Web Site

you know self-perception is so amazing. i always was only worried about and only thought my receeding hairline was the problem. before consultations i would tell the doctor, "no, the top and crown are fine." then i goto the consultations and they take a comb and a mirror and i was blown away.

That is a funny thing you said bc before I started going on consults I too told myself the same thing like "I'm fine on top it is just the hairline that is an issue" but low and behold when they shined that light and combed my hair without any concealers on suddenly i was like OMG! They said I could become a NW 5 or 6...I was and still am shocked...but def do the meds as I started recently too...def can't hurt to hold what you already have.

Happy growing...it looks very refined and the finished result will look great...keep us all posted!!!

Hey Capelli11,

Well at least we eventually realized it and started taking steps, right?

I started taking Proscar about 2 months ago.

Happy growing to you as well.

Take-care.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Hey all,

I am going to try my hardest to take day 15 photos of transplanted areas, and pics of the donor area scar that I said I was going to get to a week ago I think, tomorrow.

Two weeks, and (cross fingers) no transplanted hairs noticeable shed. I am not that worried about it, I would rather be a one in a million that wins a lottery, but it would be a def. benefit.

Hope all are well.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Just an update.

Of course I am not a one in a million. The transplanted grafts are shedding, which is fine. I figured as much.

One good thing is that the pink/redness in the recipient area seems to be almost gone.

And lastly, I did post pictures of donor scar and 2-week update. You can find them on my website or profile.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Nevermind, I was in front of a mirror with a fluorescent light and it is still very pink/red. Also starting to get quite a few zits, but I think those are from me applying ointment to try to keep the scar wet....3 weeks out. So I stopped that.

Did anyone else thin out quite a bit on top where they had reinforcement grafts mixed into their existing hair?

My Hair Loss Web Site

Zits are entirely normal. Usually a sign of good things to come. Just be sure they don't turn into folliculitis and you'll be fine.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

thanks for the reply aaron1234.

still getting a few zits here and there....recipient area still pink...and top still quite a bit thinner than it was pre-op. guess it is "shock loss." i read it so many times before but didn't realize, the wait is going to be the hardest part. and i am only a month into it!

My Hair Loss Web Site

For me, I went through about 3 or 4 weeks where my hair looked thinner than it did before my HT. Then the native hairs that were trimmed up started growing and about 2 months after the HT, the first new hairs started appearing. I am almost at 3 months now and everything is looking much better and I have a good bit of growth (will post some updated pics this week). My hair grows fast naturally, so I am lucky on that front.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

well, my hair has already thinned on top after the HT, you mean more will fall out? don't tell me that...lol that is great about your growth so soon. that seems a lot sooner than most say, you are lucky. look forward to seeing your pics. your progress will inspire me since we received about the same number, and you are about 2 months ahead of me.

thanks for the post and update.

My Hair Loss Web Site

• 3 weeks later...

just an update, and i also hope to take 6-week photos this weekend.

i am noticing quite a few little blonde/white hairs in the transplant area. i know that the new hairs start out like this, but is it possible at 6 weeks that I am already experiencing the new growth? it seems like the transplanted hairs just fell out a couple of weeks ago and I thought the (i forget the name of the resting phase of hair follicles) phase lasted months?

anyone else experience growth this early? believe me, i am not complaining :)

My Hair Loss Web Site

Glad to hear you are doing well at 6 weeks. I have not heard of new growth that early. I first noticed new hair growth at about 8 or 9 weeks which was really early also, so you never know. It could be some shocked native hair coming back also. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

It's only a few hairs, but they are not native as they are within my new hairline. I keep meaning to take pics...just so busy with school and work. I haven't been as diligent about my documentation as I had wanted to be.

My Hair Loss Web Site

The work looks great, Southbeacharchi! I think you'll be very pleased.

Just a bit of advice on documentation: Take photos. Especially if you have a decent camera handy. I...well, don't, and wish I had gone out and bought one from the get-go. Seeing where you started, versus where you'll end up, will be very inspiring for you (as this can be a LONG waiting game...sort of like watching grass grow). It will also allow some of the seasoned HT vets to give you moral support in the event that you experience some frustrating shock loss, or early uneven growth (which are quite common).

All the best to you! I'll be looking forward to your updates.