Need Shampoo Info!!!

Well Guys, I thought with all of the great guys we have here that I would lean on some information from all of you.

I have decided to switch shampoo's!!!! (AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!)

I currently use Nioxin, but it is just too harsh on my scalp at this point.

I need a gentle shampoo that possibly removes some scalp DHT but is good for my scalp and my hair.

Anyway, I would like to hear what everyone uses and why.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 4 shampoos that I currently use on a regular basis. I alternate and don't use just one too many days in a row.

1. Jason Tea Tree--Not that I totally believe all the hype about tea tree oil but you have to use something so what the hell.

2. Neutregena--it is just a natural hair care product without all the bullshit.

3. Shen Min Vitalize--Again, not that I think shen min is going to grow hair but this is a great shampoo with out the artificial crap and provides an energizing sensation to scalp. I think of all it makes hair appear/feel the healthiest.

4. Nizoral--use on occasion because of the hype but figure it will at least keep away the dandruff.

Hope that helps.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I have been using Nizoral(2%) 2 times per week for 1 year. Recently I added Nioxin 2 times per week.

I really like nizoral shampoo for reducing DHT and of course dandruff.

B Spot,

I can not comment on Nioxin since I haven't used it for a period of time. Do you observe more shedding with nioxin(particularly with scalp treatment)?I heard that it happens initial stages and of course should not stay longer than 2 weeks.

OOOOKKKKK, that does it!! Turn in your Man cards!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry guys, this sounds like chat for shows like "The View" or "Oprah"!

I will check my salon during my next manicure for some answers, wait a minute, I better turn in my Man card!! icon_wink.gif

NoBuzz

We just are more comfortable than you NoBuzz with our feminine side. I was also going to ask B Spot what type of bath salts and lotions he uses. icon_smile.gif We would appreciate you adding to things when you get back from your manicure and pedicure. icon_biggrin.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

No bath salt or lotion here boys!!!!!!

I have FULL man priveleges as well, so I am not turning in my man card yet!!!!

Anyway, no real shedding with Nioxin, but I have been using it for over 2 years and basically I think it dries my scalp out......

Now, I need all you lesbians trapped in male bodies to chime in with your hair care products---Thanks Nelly for being first in line!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Did someone say lesbian.... Where??

B-spot;

Do you currently use the Nioxin conditioner or any after shampooing? I alternate every other day between Nioxin and Nizoral (which is notorious for drying out the scalp in some individuals) and use the conditioner daily and it works well for me, may be I am just lucky in this respect. From my understanding and experience Nioxin is a fairly gentle shampoo for the scalp and hair but any one can react differently to products whether for the hair, etc. In the winter months when the cold air dries out um... everything I try and use a little more conditioner to offset the effects of the dry air (just not to much).

I do recall and remember back in the day that I was a big Paul Mitchell and Redkin fan but I do not know how those rank in regards to helping maintain a healthy scalp.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

OK, just got back from my manicure at the salon. They recommend you alternate shampoos as a regular part of you regimen.

Also,

B-Spot, they said you are late for your two- week body waxing.

Nervous, you are due for your regular eyebrow check up.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

NoBuzz

Not body waxing--- bikini lines!!!!!!!

I need to make sure I am cool for my speedo swimwear!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

I have been using Head and Shoulders for years. It looks like its time to check out some of these other shampoos.

After my hair starts to grow after my ht March 5th I'll be trying different shampoos. Might even be able to use a gel for the first time in years.

I have very little hair up top and after a hair cut the woman always asks if I want gel, huh? For what?

Laughter,

Yep, I use the shampoo and conditioner... with some Nizoral tossed in once every 2 weeks.

I guess I am just going to have to break down and go buy some of the stuff my boys here are using and report back!!!!!

Later!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

What do you do when you want to impress the ladies???????

Give'em 2 tickets to the Gun Show.........

Tell you what, I would kill for Burgundy's hair!!!!!

LMAO!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

I need to make sure I am cool for my speedo swimwear!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to shave your legs so you look all purdy :P

Shampoo? The one's I've tried are Nism, Revivogen, Nizoral 2%, and Nioxin. Out of all the shampoos, I think Nioxin feels the best, but Nizoral is hyped up as having the most benefit for cleaning surface DHT. Revivogen shampoo and conditioner are pretty decent too...I think that was my second favorite. It's claimed also, I believe, to clean surface DHT, but I'm not so sure that this is true. Truth is, I don't believe in the power of any shampoo to make any difference...especially since I've had HTs and am on finasteride.

BUT...I think a good rule of thumb with ANY shampoo is to switch occasionally. Even my wife does that with various shampools because she'll claim her hair will become flat after overuse of the same shampoo. So I'd say if you want to go crazy with shampoos, NervousNelly has the best approach. Find several you like and alternate daily/weekly/etc with the obvious notion to NOT use Nizoral every day.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I read in Men's Health (about 6 or so months ago) that Nizoral and Head & Shoulders had a slight effect on reducing hair loss (it didn't say why). So I use Nizoral 2x week and Head & Shoulders about 3x week. The rest of the time, I use whatever shampoo my wife uses (and I now may try Nioxin)

One comment on tea leaf shampoos. I just heard recently on the news that it had some kind of negative affect on males (where it did something like increase a female homrone or something. I don't remember exactly.)

Kramer

Hi John

I have heard about Nizoral having slight increased haricount effect but not the other 2 ? My choice is to use Nizoral 2 x a week and then a shampoo suited for your hair type the other days..

Shampoo is not going to do much for you in regrowing hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with DHT, but I was having a tangling problem after shampooing (I know, it's a good problem to have), so I bought some Biolage detangler, which essentially acts like a conditioner. Dang, that's the best conditioner I've ever used. It makes my hair so soft, I can't quit running my hands through it.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by JohnS:

There are only 3 shampoos proven to have hair growth effects, Nano, Tea Tree Oil Shampoo, Nizoral. Using all 3 in an alternate fashion would be the most efficacious route.

Here is the link that mentions some possible negative effects of using tea tree oil shampoo.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/dn11075-natu...ng-boys-breasts.html

From the above link:

Three young boys grew breast tissue after exposure to lotions and shampoos containing lavender or tea tree oil, researchers say.

It is not uncommon for boys to develop breast tissue during puberty or just after, but the boys affected by the plant oils were aged four, seven and 10.

The natural oils may be "gender-bending" chemicals mimicking effects of the female hormone, oestrogen, the findings suggest. The boys were otherwise normal, and lost the breast tissue within months of discontinuing use of the products.

Researchers who identified the oils as the cause of the abnormalities in the three pre-pubertal boys have warned parents and doctors to beware of the effects of any toiletry products containing the oils.

Kramer

• 1 month later...

Hey Gorpy,

Great photo history. Looking good too. I must say, this shampoo discussion has been helpful... never heard of any of these shampoos until I read this thread.

Had an HT on 4/26... 2000 grafts. My hair loss wasn't too bad. I'm 56 and still have pretty good crop. Crown is thinning. Working forward, it had thinned slightly, but hardly noticeable.

I see I need to give it time and realize most or all of the new hairs will jump ship and then start to regrow a few months down the road.

milestogo

http://www.bonxo.com/member_info.php?mid=1927

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi John

I have heard about Nizoral having slight increased haricount effect but not the other 2 ? My choice is to use Nizoral 2 x a week and then a shampoo suited for your hair type the other days..

Shampoo is not going to do much for you in regrowing hair

Ok I am going to seem like the girl of the group but here goes my breakdown (I use/own all products listed below and rank in order that I like - note surface DHT reduction while important, does not out weight the importance of hair that looks and feels healthy)

1. Redken Aquafy Shampoo...Gangsta for those with dry hair

2. Nizoral 1% (2% is very harsh and both dry hair out alot use now 1 time every two weeks)

3. Clean and Clear Shampoo (H&W give you this shampoo for post op washing only under the Canadian name for the product.

4. RedKen Density Shampoo

5. Head and Shoulders w/2%-zinc

6. Tea Tree Shampoo Paul Mitchell

7. Neutrogena T-Gel

8. Jason's thin to thick

9. Jason's natural shampoo w/biotin

Worth a laugh, a year ago I was rocking the shaved head look and had one body wash for the whole body head to toe...wonder what the F? My roommate thinks with all these voodoo potions I got cooking...good thing for the sake of my masculinity I did not include my list of Conditioners...lol

Greay post Bay-

It's amazing what some hair can turn us "he-man" types into, isn't it?? icon_biggrin.gif

I've done the same thing.........try new hair product, new hairstyles......I think I have more product than my wife does now, LOL icon_cool.gif!

The one thing on your list I haven't tried that I've heard good things about is Jason's thin to thick..........saw some at GNC last weekend (shampoo and conditioner) for $10 but decided to pass as I have too much product already.........can you really ever have enough hair product??

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.