actionradar 1800 HT Dr. Keene

Hey action,

I'm at 6 months as well so I'll be keeping track of your progress.

I totally understand how bad it is to have to wait and wait. sucks huh?

0.5 mg Avodart daily since 6/19/06

1950 grafts with Dr. Hasson in the front line 6/19/06.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actionradar

actionradar,

You are not Norwood III, you are more like a 4 or 5, and you need at least 3000 grafts IMO to look noticably covered.

So yes, it's only 6 months and thing will get better, but 1800 have been spread over a larger area.

action,

Now that I see your blog is working...I don't know why it wasn't before...maybe the link in your first post was bad...I didn't go back to check...too lazy right now =P.

I see you've definiately had some growth from your before pics...and I agree that you will have some more growth....6 months is very early. But I also agree with hairbank and John_in_NC....1800 grafts in such a large area won't give you significant coverage. So don't expect an extremely dense head of hair after it all grows in. You will need to go back for probably another 2-3K to dense up the area nicely most likely. It all depends on what your goals are...but stay realistic. Don't expect that this surgery will give you all of your hair back.

Bill

hello action

how u doing?

well,it takes time to see final result i guess,.....if u check some other posts in this and other forums u can see lot of people notice big diference from moth 6-8.

are u going to check with dr.keene after 6 months?

Im 1 month behind you and im very hapy with result.

I was taking every day MSM,hair vitamins,biotin,nioxin follice booster and proscar.

I dont know if all this stuff help but i noticed a lot of growth after 3 months and also my existing hair improved 100%.

Nobody is saying - "dude u are balding " anymore....

good luck and i wish you many new growth in new year!

hey everyone thanx for all your comments!, i know that 1800 would not cover as dense as the rest of my head, and i knew that , but, im certain not all of my grafts are out yet because one side is just as it was before surgery and still it doesnt look as much hair as it looked right after surgery, so that why im a bit desperate, ive been taking proscar as the doctor told me and rogaine.

Action,

My surgeon was also Dr. Keene. I'm seeing my best growth now at 5 months (four was desperation time for me). I'm taking Proscar and 3000mg MSM a day. I can only tell you (since we had the same doctor) that it will eventually happen. Hang in there! icon_smile.gif You went with a good choice.

Jon

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 months later...

well this is month 9, i wasnt able to continue my journal as i had every month since i lost my cables to transfer the pics from my digital camera, but a friend let me use his, so this is how it looks at month 9 , lots of difference from my post op pics, i knew it wouldnt cover all of it as the rest of my head but its pretty good i guess, still thinking if i should get another transplant, depends on how much i need, got to go with Dr. Keene in June and wether she says the same amount or less i guess i will save up again for it, but im glad with the result, still you can see its not the same amount on each side, now that i dont like that much (have more on the right side than on the left). thanx for all your replies , very much appreciate it and i will try to keep it updated more often.

9-month-front.jpg

9month-front-1.jpg

9-month-front-2.jpg

9-month-left-side.jpg

9-month-right-side.jpg

Action----quite honestly--- I think your results are poor.

By poor-- I mean your "treatment plan" to keep your exsiting hair and transplant around it.

The difference in your case (as opposed to jbsf, who had no growth) is it seems the "plan" to bolster your existing thinning hair with 1800 grafts did not work. You simply lost more hair around your transplanted hair.

The meds are not saving your frontal hair, and if you look closely at your post-op pics you can see where Dr. Keene transplanted with respect to your existing native hair, which is why you have more hair on one side.

I also think the hairstyle you use is a bit deceiving as well. I think if you combed your hair to the side or straight back, we would get a much different "look"

A couple of good things: #1 1800 grafts is not a large session and you should still have 5-6K grafts left.

#2--- Your situation is easily corrected. However, I would think very carefully before you keep doing 1500-1800 graft sessions.

I think you will need 2500 grafts to make you happy. It is a safe bet that your entire frontal zone is going to go--- your going to need 4000+ grafts in the frontal 100cm to achieve a real illusion of density.

I would call Dr. Keene and express your obvious disappointment. She has a great record of taking care of her patients. I think if you express your monetary situation, she may be able to offer a solution that is amenable to you both.

I can understand Dr. Keenes approach--- which is why it is difficult to transplant into thinning native hair. Once the non-DHT resitant hair falls out, the patient is left looking the same as before or worse. At times it is real no-win situation.

I will say, IF Dr. Keene advised you of this exact situation, and you forged ahead, then the pendulum of responsibility swings in your direction, although some would say that your not the expert or the Dr.

Anyway, keep your chin-up--- Dr. Keene will take care of you.

As always, we will be here for you as well!!!!!

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hello Action, I agree with Bspot on the hairstyle. It is hard to tell where the newly transplanted hair is. It seems the long native hair from the back is covering where the new hair would be so it is difficult to make an assessment.

It seems to me the Dr. should have disregarded the native vellus hair in the front & just dense packed the front 1/3 with at least 2800 grafts or more.

As B spot said you can still take care of this easily with Dr. Keene.

Keep us posted & Good Luck!

Action,

I'm glad that you are happy with your results to date. There definitely is a difference from one side to the next and I think that B spot explained things well.

I have been flipping back and forth from your pre-Ht, immediately post-HT and current photos and trying to assess things. Possibly you could create side by side photos of the 3 for us to evaluate or someone else good with computers could do so?

There is an obvious improvement, but it almost looks to me like some of the grafts didn't grow. It is ofcourse hard to tell with current photo as folica stated. Is the hairline defined? It looks to us that there are some bare spots where possibly some growth has yet to take place or won't?

Either way, depending on your goals, you could get more coverage and density with another session. I agree with B Spot that in your particular case I wouldn't monkey around with anything under 2000 grafts. That would do quite a bit for you. But truly it all depends on your individual goals and what you want achieved.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

hey everyone!

i dont really comb my hair that way it usually is on the side or all over the place, yeah i do think lots of hair didnt grow, i dont know why, i did everything liike the doctor told me (sleep sitting for the first three weeks,not touching my grafts only for washing them with lather of soap,proscar everyday,the first three months rogaine, etc.....) but as you would be able to see in the pre-op pics i do have more hair but not as much as she placed in the post op pics i took right after surgery, whose fault is that? i got my appointment with Dr. Keen till june, since i dont live in the states i just send her updates by photo and she told me to just go for the year evaluation to see how everything went, will it still grow or whats up?, i still have hair falling off when i take a shower but i dont know where its from, antoher thing can i use like hair products? i dont but would like to, thanx for all the replies i really appreciate it.

Action, Since you live out of the country & it is going to cost you to travel just for the follow up, maybe after looking at your pics Dr. Keene could just schedule you for another Ht.

It has already been long enough to get another Ht.

I don't know if the DR. will consider that a repair or not.

I would certainly discuss your concerns with her in detail along with detailed pics before going for the follow up.

I would like to see a pic with your hair combed back to reveal the hairline.

So hang in there & keep posting!

Action,

B-spot has been straight with you. Since you are only 23-24 or 25 yrs old you certainly are young to have had a HT. It also appears you may be headed to NW-6 or NW-7 if your crown goes. I do hope the meds help there though. The one thing B-spot forgot to mention is that at 9 months, you stil may have some growing to do. Most HT's fully develop at 12-18 months. It may not make a big difference but it could improve.

Good luck and at least you have some hair on top now!

NoBuzz

Action -

Sorry to hear things haven't improved for you much. 1800 would not have provided much density for the area you covered, but I did expect you to have thin coverage nonetheless. At 9 months I would think most of the hair has sprouted, while it will continue to thicken over time. You may still have some growth to come, who knows for sure?

I agree with B spots post and would encourage you to call Dr. Keene and share your disappointment with her. I really do believe your growth is subpar at this point. I compared your fresh post-HT pics to your current growth and, IMO, there seems to be several grafts that just did not grow, especially in the temple/widows peak areas.

Keep us posted on your progress and please post any information from Dr. Keene on your situation.

Peace..

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

That last pic with the hair combed back is a much better indicator of how much hair grew. And I must say it looks better that way. IMO.

Looking at it this way you definitely have had some decent growth from 1800 grafts & the hairline looks natural.

It was just hard to tell from the pics where the hair is combed down.

So looking at it now I would say it looks like you got 1800 grafts & most of it grew, you still have 3 to 4 months for the final results.

Maybe another 2000 grafts & you will be set.

Hey Action-

Nice comparison photos! icon_smile.gif! In my opinion, the last pic shows evidence of very little growth in your temples. I'm anxious to find out what you hear from Dr. Keene.

Hang in there.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hi action

how u doing?

tell us what dr keene told you ,please.

i called dr keene couple of times but could not get her on the phone.

im hapy with my transplant with her but maybe i expected little bit more (i had 2000 grafts).

i also had little growth in my temples,but overall looks good,maybe because of my existing hair and propecia....

good luck my friend!

Hi Action,

As you know, Dr. Keene recommended 1800 grafts as the minimum number of grafts to provide a thinning coverage, because she is happy to accommodate budgetary concerns. This is an example of where minimal numbers of grafts can provide contour to the hairline, creating a natural appearing frame to your face that was not there before. The hair will continue to mature and add density for a few more months. Moreover, the framework has been laid to allow you to have a second surgery to augment the density. Dr. Keene guarantees her work. She also is willing to work with you on your budgetary concerns to go beyond that. I know you have already had some correspondence with her so let us know what you decide.

Best Regards,

Lisa

I am a hairtransplant surgical assistant and an independent contractor for Dr. Keene

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Maki8787,

I noticed that you said you had tried to call Dr. Keene and couldn't through, so I wanted to reassure you that Physician's Hair Intitute's phones are always covered. While the doctor doesn't typically answer the phones herself, she does have an excellent nursing staff, and a 24 hour answering service, so you can always get through. She is very diligent about returning patient phone calls. A nurse or medical assistant is able to answer many common questions and may not ask Dr. Keene to return the call when they are able to do so, unless you let them know that you only want to speak with the doc. But if you prefer to communicate directly with Dr. Keene, you can also correspond with her via e-mail at drkeene@hairrestore.com. The doctor also asks to see patients post operatively for follow up every 3 months. If you haven't come in for follow up, please do call the office to schedule a follow up appointment, and come in to see her in person. I am glad to hear you are happy with the results of your surgery, as are the vast majority of her over a thousand patients. I am sure your results are completely natural, and undectable as a hair transplant. But seeing patients in follow up allows the doctor to answer questions and address concerns, as well as allowing the clinic to take photos to showcase results.

Hi Troy,

That is a more detailed question than you might realize. It depends on the genetic propensity of the hair that is present in the recipient area. First, as you probably know, transplanting grafts between existing hair in the recipient area can cause shock loss. This is minimized by matching the angle of the existing hair when the incisions are made, which helps avoid transection of the existing hair follicles, and certainly adjusting the density of the grafts/sq cm. Shock loss may still occur. However, if the genetic propensity of the existing hair is to be permanent hair, then the shock loss can be expected to be temporary. The permanent hairs will grow back in after shock loss. How do you know what is permanent hair? Transplanted hair, taken from the back of the head, will be permanent. Native hair, not moved from another area of the head, is more likely to have the genetic propensity to shed due to male pattern baldness. Hair goes through phases, and without intervention, hair with the genetic propensity to shed will typically first become miniaturized, then fall out. In the case where the native hair was about to be shed due to genetics, than it may not grow back after shock loss. Medication (i.e. Propecia/Minoxidil) may stabilize your native hair if taken/used pre and post operatively. In that case, although the genetic propensity still exists for hair loss, it may be controlled by the meds. But shock loss of existing hair is an important factor when considering a hair restoration procedure. So patients are assessed on an individual basis, and the risks are explained. The doctor may recommend starting medication before considering surgery, depending on the extent of your hair loss and your age.

Best Regards,

Lisa

I am not a doctor and my statements are not meant to be taken as medical advice. They are based on my experience in the field. But consultation with your doctor is the best way to obtain medical information. I am a hair transplant surgical assistant and an independent contractor for Dr. Keene.

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Actionradar I know this is tough right now and you were hoping for a full head of hair. But, I also will agree with B Spot on this one, you need another 4000+ grafts in the frontal half for good density.

And if your not already on Propecia or Avodart you should get some professional advice and try to stop future hair loss.

Good luck.

It's only hair, I don't think that Dr. Keene would have led action to believe that he would achieve a full head of hair with only 1800 grafts. Dr. Keene's tech stated that action was working within a budget as well.

Although I'm sure he hoped those 1800 would give him better coverage, a full heade of hair is high expectations for 1800 grafts.

Another 4,000+ in the front sounds like overkill to me. more like 2800 should do nicely IMO.

congrats

Be patient now.. We all have to wait but put it this way.. Now, you are not losing hair, you are gaining it!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I said 4000+ for the coverage he is looking for.

That would be minus the 1800 he already received.

It really boils down to how large an area--- 90cm or 115cm, etc....

Most people will be more than happy with 45-55fu's cm/2 in any given area.

To do this in the front 100cm, you will need 4500-5500 fu's.

That is usually going to leave most of us with 2-3K of grafts to cover the remaining 100cm with a density of 20-30 if we are lucky.

action radar is going to need a minimum of 2000-2500 grafts to be happy with his HT.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.