Dr Zarev 11,941 grafts. 1st procedure 8,321, 2nd procedure 3,620

mtb

@mtb I'm starting to realize transplants may not be permanent for 20+ years, and with my poor donor I may need to shave slick bald in the future (maybe with SMP). Less visible scars is a huge plus if that's the case.

If I can get 5 - 10 years of decent coverage, then shave later without looking disfigured, that's a home run success in my books. 

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

@mtb I'm starting to realize transplants may not be permanent for 20+ years, and with my poor donor I may need to shave slick bald in the future (maybe with SMP). Less visible scars is a huge plus if that's the case.

If I can get 5 - 10 years of decent coverage, then shave later without looking disfigured, that's a home run success in my books. 

@Grouse I haven’t heard about transplants not lasting. Are you speaking of the actual transplanted hair? Does that include with the taking of finasteride? Can you share any references for the education of the group, please?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, mtb said:

8 months update for Dr Zarev. Dry, styled, gym. 

547E00A7-7047-4877-91D6-A6C392DA73FE.jpeg

9CD74149-8EE2-4849-94A3-7B15CBB31281.jpeg

A89C44F8-29F3-43BF-9AE1-488334998E2C.jpeg

0B6C00EC-0697-47AE-9AF6-CEC27472B08F.jpeg

4819D36B-42A3-4E1E-9DF5-FE6BF8137E96.jpeg

28200E02-02EA-44EB-863D-E785F677F3FB.jpeg

A38DEC59-32CE-4956-8330-867E7718F4C5.jpeg

F545E35E-0EB6-489E-8CBD-E9ED5B004579.jpeg

2F7B57FD-BA0C-4F9F-951A-B54D65F82CB8.jpeg

DA682F39-EE03-45B2-B6FD-50BD55696BB0.jpeg

D304F420-A489-4B31-B2AA-A0B340343F30.jpeg

0B174054-9CA3-4616-8290-F79AF18C6C0D.jpeg

20D916CF-9EDD-41FC-9B49-CF42BB55584B.jpeg

323DD8EB-8740-4D50-B414-98D5ADA6899E.jpeg

A7EF7D3C-BD81-4740-8AA4-FD7732430EED.jpeg

D4E4701C-6395-447E-84C8-0AACEFBD9DBD.jpeg

Looking killer man, did you start working out after the HT? I find that hair motivates a lot of guys to get in shape too. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 minutes ago, mtb said:

@Grouse I haven’t heard about transplants not lasting. Are you speaking of the actual transplanted hair? Does that include with the taking of finasteride? Can you share any references for the education of the group, please?

No proof, just planning for a worst case scenario. Here's a few examples I found. Meds would significantly reduce this likelihood I'm sure, but I've had sides from both topical fin (normal sides) and topical min (bad facial aging). I'd ideally want to do a procedure with dut mesotherapy, which I'm trying soon.

Example 1: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/70060-4986-grafts-fut-with-dr-wong-aug-16th-2023-30m/#comment-735728

@mtb what was wearing a hair system like the years before this procedure? I'm considering one to tide me over for the 2 years it takes to get in and see Zarev (rather than go with another surgeon), but am concerned about the maintenance and having it weigh on me day to day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

@mtb what was wearing a hair system like the years before this procedure? I'm considering one to tide me over for the 2 years it takes to get in and see Zarev (rather than go with another surgeon), but am concerned about the maintenance and having it weigh on me day to day.

@Grouse No easy answers unfortunately. Once I saw my head shaved bald before my Zarev procedure I thought, "hm, I don't look bad bald." Have you tried shaving your head first to see if you'd like it? If you want to do the hair system I'd find a reputable online company and a local stylist that has experience with systems. Then there is a thousand vids online of how to apply and maintain them. I did a few different glues and two sided tapes over the years. It's a commitment but if you have to do it you'll figure a way to make it work. The company I used is out-of-business now so I cannot recommend them anymore. If you would like a lot of details please dm me and I can share more. I don't even think about the hair system days anymore, feels fortunate to be where I am. 

While I think Zarev is the best surgeon but there are other phenomenal surgeons who have much shorter waitlists if you cannot wait the full 3 years to see Dr. Zarev. They would require an FUT/FUE combo or FUE with beard hair. Just a thought.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dieter987 said:

It is possible to pay more for consultation and operation to get an off-scheduled meeting. That's what it says on the website.

Oh really? I didn't know about that. I didn't see that on his website. But can't blame him. If the demand is there you can charge whatever you want. I see that he charges 500 euros for a consult now. Very glad I got in when I did.

10 hours ago, RobertoDeNiro said:

Hello @mtb  Your result is impressive. Maybe one of the best results I have seen in my life. 

Are you still going in October for those 2000 grafts you mention on the first posts? Maybe you can hold on that.

Congratulations! You look fabulous!

I've thought about holding off. The crown and mid scalp do need a bit more. He says that even with this 2k there will still be another 2k in reserve for years down the line. 

Hi @mtb, you have great results like Hugox. Congratulations on waiting and having surgery with which I consider the best HT surgeon at this time!
I was reading your thread and in your earlier post, you mentioned that your brother was going to Dr. Pittella in a few months for his surgery… that post was back in February, did he already have his surgery? If so, did he post his results here? I want to have an HT done by Dr. Zarev but his waitlist is way to long, no thanks to you and @HugoX😆, I’m just kidding 😁… I’m thankful you guys posted your results for us to decide on who to choose. I’m also considering Dr. Pitella if his waitlist is not as long as Dr. Zarev. I am very interested in seeing your brother’s results since you guys probably have the same hair characteristics and skin tone. It would be an excellent example to compare your results from Dr. Zarev and his results from Dr. Pittella…

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 5:31 PM, Mr. Clean said:

Hi @mtb, you have great results like Hugox. Congratulations on waiting and having surgery with which I consider the best HT surgeon at this time!
I was reading your thread and in your earlier post, you mentioned that your brother was going to Dr. Pittella in a few months for his surgery… that post was back in February, did he already have his surgery? If so, did he post his results here? I want to have an HT done by Dr. Zarev but his waitlist is way to long, no thanks to you and @HugoX😆, I’m just kidding 😁… I’m thankful you guys posted your results for us to decide on who to choose. I’m also considering Dr. Pitella if his waitlist is not as long as Dr. Zarev. I am very interested in seeing your brother’s results since you guys probably have the same hair characteristics and skin tone. It would be an excellent example to compare your results from Dr. Zarev and his results from Dr. Pittella…

If I were you I’d look at going elsewhere besides Zarev. I believe he is the best but if I was looking at a 3-5 year wait I would go elsewhere. Very grateful I got in when I did.  

10 hours ago, hairman22 said:

@mtb are you going for your 2nd surgery soon or you will hold it off for now?

Yeah I’m doing it this month. ~2k in the crown and mid scalp. A little bit for the hairline. Would like to lower the hairline if possible. Just not sure it’s realistic given my remaining donor grafts and need to thicken the crown and midscalp. If I can’t lower it I’ll still be happy with where it is. Wont know for certain until he does his pre-op measurements. 

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, mtb said:

If I were you I’d look at going elsewhere besides Zarev. I believe he is the best but if I was looking at a 3-5 year wait I would go elsewhere. Very grateful I got in when I did.  

Yeah I’m doing it this month. ~2k in the crown and mid scalp. A little bit for the hairline. Would like to lower the hairline if possible. Just not sure it’s realistic given my remaining donor grafts and need to thicken the crown and midscalp. If I can’t lower it I’ll still be happy with where it is. Wont know for certain until he does his pre-op measurements. 

Your results are great - absolutely superb and if you never touched your hair again it's a result that stands alongside any case requiring this many grafts. Another pass will be epic. Personally I don't think your hairline should be lowered - it looks spot on where it is and with more grafts in the bank, using them to improve density or any slightly lagging areas will be the icing on the cake. I'd take a more conservative and dense results over an aggressive and thinner one any day, and I wouldn't even say your hairline is conservative!

Looking forward to seeing the next step.

Edited by Berba11

9 month update. Flash and no flash. I’ll be in Bulgaria soon for my second procedure. Will post shaved pre-op pics from there along with my post surgical pics. Pretty wild how fast 9 months flies by. 

1509967A-F1E9-4F14-AE5C-8043F9B0B9EE.jpeg

603A581B-227B-460A-A7F1-4F63A3A50A8F.jpeg

008ED846-CF2A-4334-977B-AB0C5BE95240.jpeg

1819E9C2-7A69-43B7-8F30-FD0397E379BF.jpeg

437FD2D8-FE58-4E6C-AD82-F9B073FDDAA0.jpeg

30275E4B-D306-4DC8-897B-ADA927A4A0E4.jpeg

587DED3D-97FE-4ED5-9447-4A15BF866230.jpeg

5CEB0FF3-2BDE-44D0-B333-507F3AD2DCDF.jpeg

35967FB9-A81A-4EF9-8E80-2D14633BDEDF.jpeg

Edited by mtb
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Home run ️ 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.