wrong direction of grafts can it getting unnoticeable by super long hairs?

sepand97

• Administrators

How long ago did you get surgery?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Who was the doctor? There really is no justifiable excuse for bad angles or misdirected grafts. 

I myself had to deal with misangled grafts for years. I had hundreds of them. 

Longer hair is indeed much better than shorter hair for bad angles, the longer you grow it the better. That being said, it will likely still look a bit unnatural. In this case you can use pomade or another holding product. 

Unfortunately, the only options to fix bad angles is a repair hair transplant to get them extracted and re-implanted, and/or you can do electrolysis and just kill them off. 

Some people may say you can camouflage the bad grafts by surrounding the bad angles with correctly angled grafts. But from personal experience, bad angles will always still reveal themselves, even if the surrounding hair is good. 

My advice to you is to get a repair surgery. As much as it stinks to need a repair, its best to tackle the problem straight on. You can get electrolysis in the interim depending on your remaining donor availability and how awkward the bad grafts make you feel. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Who was the doctor? There really is no justifiable excuse for bad angles or misdirected grafts. 

I myself had to deal with misangled grafts for years. I had hundreds of them. 

Longer hair is indeed much better than shorter hair for bad angles, the longer you grow it the better. That being said, it will likely still look a bit unnatural. In this case you can use pomade or another holding product. 

Unfortunately, the only options to fix bad angles is a repair hair transplant to get them extracted and re-implanted, and/or you can do electrolysis and just kill them off. 

Some people may say you can camouflage the bad grafts by surrounding the bad angles with correctly angled grafts. But from personal experience, bad angles will always still reveal themselves, even if the surrounding hair is good. 

My advice to you is to get a repair surgery. As much as it stinks to need a repair, its best to tackle the problem straight on. You can get electrolysis in the interim depending on your remaining donor availability and how awkward the bad grafts make you feel. 

i may plan for a repair surgery after the 6th  month , but first i must find a doctor who can do this kind of surgery and i wasn't able to find any in my country yet

Keep us posted.  Hope it all works out for you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:15 PM, sepand97 said:

20220830_103348.jpg

20220830_103343.jpg

20220829_225114.jpg

20221103_223506.jpg

20221103_232744.jpg

Don’t you think that you should wait some more time before judging that the grafts are placed at wrong  angles .After the third month the grafts still gets adjusted within the scalp due to scar beneath and then grows at the angle at which the slits were made .So may be after the shedding phase is over you might see your grafts syncing up well with existing hairs you might not need another surgery .

Have a word with your clinic and see what they says 

@Melvin- Moderator What your thoughts on this ? 

1 hour ago, Madhur Vansil said:

Don’t you think that you should wait some more time before judging that the grafts are placed at wrong  angles .After the third month the grafts still gets adjusted within the scalp due to scar beneath and then grows at the angle at which the slits were made .So may be after the shedding phase is over you might see your grafts syncing up well with existing hairs you might not need another surgery .

Have a word with your clinic and see what they says 

@Melvin- Moderator What your thoughts on this ? 

well they keep saying i must wait atlast 6 month but i think my shedding phase is over i didn't experience any shedding after week 5 and some hair like those in my tempels didn't shed at all but generally I'm worried about it idk they grow this way cuz i have wavey hair or its becus of dr or technician fault !

you cant judge the angle by how your wispy weak hair is coming in. They are still weak and dont have a lot of structure. They will stand up more and start taking direction. Your post op photos do not look too bad, unless you are like happy/sadman2021 and care about every single hair follicle than yeh you may not be happy.  A wise man once said "perfection is the enemy of good." At first I thought what bogus saying is this, but some people mess up good and lose everything trying to acheive perfection. I would say stop fretting for now. 

• Valued Contributor
On 11/10/2022 at 7:56 AM, sepand97 said:

i may plan for a repair surgery after the 6th  month , but first i must find a doctor who can do this kind of surgery and i wasn't able to find any in my country yet

Which country are you in?

I think the best thing to do before you let this stress you out too much is to wait at least a few more months and see how this all looks visually once you have more significant growth. It doesn't look ideal, but there's no way to know at the moment if it's gonna be 10/10 bad or like 3/10 bad.. Which would be the difference between definitely seeking a repair or it being something that's quite manageable and doesn't look visually jarring. 

I know waiting is difficult, but it's key for any of us to at give it at least 6 months before we jump to any conclusions - even in situations where nothing is particularly wrong. The time will pass before you know it, and you can reevaluate then.  

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor
47 minutes ago, sepand97 said:

iran

Ok well, if you do need a repair, you're going to have to travel abroad otherwise you risk making things worse. So for now you need to do two things; let things grow and develop and see how they are, and forget about having another transplant of any kind in Iran. @DrTBarghouthiis not so far away in Jordan. If travel is difficult for you, that might be your best bet.

14 hours ago, pkipling said:

I think the best thing to do before you let this stress you out too much is to wait at least a few more months and see how this all looks visually once you have more significant growth. It doesn't look ideal, but there's no way to know at the moment if it's gonna be 10/10 bad or like 3/10 bad.. Which would be the difference between definitely seeking a repair or it being something that's quite manageable and doesn't look visually jarring. 

I know waiting is difficult, but it's key for any of us to at give it at least 6 months before we jump to any conclusions - even in situations where nothing is particularly wrong. The time will pass before you know it, and you can reevaluate then.  

well i will wait for sure if it doesn't look awkward with long hair like 10 inches or 20 inches i will not go for a repair and i had long hair almost all my life so long hair is not an issue for me and hey you're dr is also an iranian idk why i cant find a dr like him in here dr feriduni is iranian too if you know him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Ok well, if you do need a repair, you're going to have to travel abroad otherwise you risk making things worse. So for now you need to do two things; let things grow and develop and see how they are, and forget about having another transplant of any kind in Iran. @DrTBarghouthiis not so far away in Jordan. If travel is difficult for you, that might be your best bet.

idk about Jordan what about turkey? 

• Valued Contributor
17 minutes ago, sepand97 said:

idk about Jordan what about turkey? 

I think you need to spend the next few months really nailing down the research on what you might potentially need; graft removal in the frontal third, possibly more than one surgery etc. There aren't that many clinics that are really good at this and can plan and execute a strategy to get potentially botched angles looking better again, as well as reducing trauma along the hairline & keeping scarring to a minimum. I don't know of any clinics in Turkey that are good at this - I've not seen any cases.

Your results might turn out ok, but if they don't, you can't afford to get it wrong on the 2nd attempt. You need a doctor that has experience with these types of repairs. There's certainly no options for you in Iran, and I don't think there's any in Turkey either. The fact you had your HT in Iran and are now asking about Turkey suggests that maybe your budget is limited, but if not, there's also some excellent options in Europe for high quality repair work.

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

I think you need to spend the next few months really nailing down the research on what you might potentially need; graft removal in the frontal third, possibly more than one surgery etc. There aren't that many clinics that are really good at this and can plan and execute a strategy to get potentially botched angles looking better again, as well as reducing trauma along the hairline & keeping scarring to a minimum. I don't know of any clinics in Turkey that are good at this - I've not seen any cases.

Your results might turn out ok, but if they don't, you can't afford to get it wrong on the 2nd attempt. You need a doctor that has experience with these types of repairs. There's certainly no options for you in Iran, and I don't think there's any in Turkey either. The fact you had your HT in Iran and are now asking about Turkey suggests that maybe your budget is limited, but if not, there's also some excellent options in Europe for high quality repair work.

well i may wait and save some more money ang go to dr feriduni but it might take some years however its worth it

On 11/12/2022 at 2:25 AM, sepand97 said:

well i will wait for sure if it doesn't look awkward with long hair like 10 inches or 20 inches i will not go for a repair and i had long hair almost all my life so long hair is not an issue for me and hey you're dr is also an iranian idk why i cant find a dr like him in here dr feriduni is iranian too if you know him

I'm not too familiar with him. Once the dust settles and you see how your hair transplant turns out, you could always do an online consultation with @Parsa Mohebi, MD and get his input. Even if traveling doesn't end up being an option for you, it's always nice to have opinions and guidance from some top surgeons that you're drawn to. I hope this works out!

Also, in regards to travel, as Berba said up above, be very mindful that you don't make location a deciding factor on who you choose... Especially if you end up needing a repair. Choosing based largely on proximity can end up causing more problems and costing more money than traveling otherwise would. Hoping this all works out for you!

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Honestly, I would wait until the hair fully grows in and matures before drawing any real conclusions about direction. What might seem like the wrong direction might be for other reasons. For example, you really can’t judge a Hair Transplant on the first day because the hairs are exceptionally short and there are scabs that are forming around them. Moreover, even when the hair starts to grow in, it’s not really a true picture of what will be after their hair transplant starts to grow, thick and mature.

Now, after a full 8 to 12 months, if you feel that the direction differs from the direction of your natural hair, then I strongly suggest contacting your clinic and going from there. But until then, there’s really not much you can do except for wait for your hair transplant to grow in. Drawing any conclusions or making an evaluation when your hair is maybe only just starting to grow in is not recommended. 

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Sepend97, dont worry just yet.  Let it all grow out 9-12 months.  Angulation is important but its hard to tell when hair is short.   I am a guy in need of repair and im really hoping to get my happiness back.  I wouldnt want anyone else to feel terrible .  Id rather you not think negative about it and just let it grow without any added stress.  Give it 9 months at the least before making a jusgement.  Just take pics every month to keep track so you have a record.  Best wishes and hope you get what you seek when this is all done.