Mwamba vs. Umar for Hairline Softening?

Hey guys,

Long story short, I’m getting a small procedure in the near future to soften my hairline using nape and/or body hair grafts. My hair is in really good shape, but the hairline could definitely use some softening as my donor hair is very thick in caliber. 

I’ve had consultations with both Dr. Sanusi Umar in California and Dr. Mwamba in Belgium. I see Dr. Mwamba lauded often here in this forum, but not much about Umar. I know Umar is considered one of the first pioneers of using body hair, and have seen good results from him, but I’m wondering if anyone has any recent personal experience in terms of survey with him. 

The Pros of Umar:

- I live in California. Don’t have to fly around the world to Belgium. 
- $7k cheaper (price isn’t a factor of my decision but worth noting)

The Pros of Mwamba:

- Seems to have more results online 

- Is held in high esteem by this forum. 

what would you  guys do?

Edited by bandersnatchi

• 1 month later...

Dr Mwamba seems to have natural looking hairlines.  If you are going for a small procedure, he sure  has the results to show for it.  

Based on my experiences with nape bht cal, I wasnt repaired successfully and still struggling.  

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Dr Mwamba seems to have natural looking hairlines.  If you are going for a small procedure, he sure  has the results to show for it.  

Based on my experiences with nape bht cal, I wasnt repaired successfully and still struggling.  

Do you have a thread documenting your experience? 

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Was the nape BHT procedure performed by Dr Mwamba?

Well, I am an actual patient of Dr. Umar, he did my hairline and it simply can't be done any better than it turned out. You live in California and are considering a flight to Europe when one of the premier HT surgeons is in Redondo Beach, probably an hour or two drive? 

Alrighty then. 

Dr. Umar has very little profile - boutique/niche surgeon.  Seems more plastic surgeon/repair/specialized.  I'd go w/surgeons that do regular hair transplants every day like clockwork.

Edited by jjsrader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jjsrader said:

Dr. Umar has very little profile - boutique/niche surgeon.  Seems more plastic surgeon/repair/specialized.  I'd go w/surgeons that do regular hair transplants every day like clockwork.

You've been on the forum for how long? Dr. Umar was on here posting pictures of not only amazing repairs, but amazing HT's of guys approaching NW7, from as far back as I've been on the forum, which is 2007. You weren't around for all of that. I don't know what you mean by "boutique/niche" surgeon, do you? 

His extensive experience doing amazing repair work is certainly no impediment, and every one of his patients can expect an excellent result, as his body of work has repeatedly shown. 

• Like 1

Proper Hairline creation is important.  When patient says lateral slit, that is important too for hairline creation and a surgeon who says they can do lateral slit should know how to deliver it successfully.  If someone can give you a natural result with lower number of grafts, that is very important.  Aside from that, folks with extremely larger norwood scales that have no hope, should proceed with caution.  If any person wanted to see in person, fue, nape and bht and how things look, well, I can meet in person if you are local. OP if you are local, I can show in person for a real example.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 5:57 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

I’ve seen some bad results from umar. I wouldn’t risk going with him. I personally don’t like his hairline designs and many of his results lack density and naturalness.

Why don’t you look into someone like konior or Nadimi? They are in the states as well

I ended up going with Konior.

• Like 2
  • Well Done 1

Without a doubt Mwamba!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
On 12/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, bandersnatchi said:

I ended up going with Konior.

Excellent choice. Nape is not a source that is stable as it tends to recede upwards. Also body hair is not ideal for frontal hairlines. Dr Konior will sort you out! All the best! 👌

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 7:57 PM, wylie said:

You've been on the forum for how long? Dr. Umar was on here posting pictures of not only amazing repairs, but amazing HT's of guys approaching NW7, from as far back as I've been on the forum, which is 2007. You weren't around for all of that. I don't know what you mean by "boutique/niche" surgeon, do you? 

His extensive experience doing amazing repair work is certainly no impediment, and every one of his patients can expect an excellent result, as his body of work has repeatedly shown. 

Dude - I've been around on Hair Loss message boards since the late 90's.  I stand by what I wrote.  He does alot of body hair/nape hair/leg hair - none of that will ever look completely natural on a repair patient.  Only less jarring.  No fault of his.  Thus - boutique/niche.

And he doesn't have alot of profile (doesn't need it).  Finally, he takes on very awful cases - alot of other surgeons do transplants day after day.  Dr. Umar does other plastic surgery; alot in fact.

So get out of my face already.  Ty

On 12/7/2022 at 10:15 AM, jjsrader said:

Dude - I've been around on Hair Loss message boards since the late 90's.  I stand by what I wrote.  He does alot of body hair/nape hair/leg hair - none of that will ever look completely natural on a repair patient.  Only less jarring.  No fault of his.  Thus - boutique/niche.

And he doesn't have alot of profile (doesn't need it).  Finally, he takes on very awful cases - alot of other surgeons do transplants day after day.  Dr. Umar does other plastic surgery; alot in fact.

So get out of my face already.  Ty

You don't know what you're talking about, and your judgement is flawed, as are your assumptions. But it's a free country, and you are free to be wrong. 

Getting back on topic, I have also visited Dr. Konior as I live in Illinois and he is not far away. I had hairline revision by him before he started practicing FUE, and he did, and does, great work. He had little to work with in my case, as my donor sources were almost depleted. I can personally say, from someone who has sat in the chair of both of these doctors, that ethically and professionally, they are both amongst the best choices you can make in a crowded field.

Edited by wylie

• Moderators

On 12/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, jjsrader said:

I stand by what I wrote.  He does alot of body hair/nape hair/leg hair

Umm.... the original question was "I’m getting a small procedure in the near future to soften my hairline using nape and/or body hair grafts."

Why are you against Umar for this type of work when you said it's what he does?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 11/19/2022 at 6:27 PM, jjsrader said:

You do know he used to be recommended on here, right?

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.