Low dose oral minoxidil - Share your story or opinions

Oral minoxidil has been showing some very impressive results.  I am tempted to add it to my regimen, but my only concerns are the studies showing it decreases collagen production in the skin.  As a result, a lot of users have reported wrinkles - particularly around the eye area.  Any thoughts?  

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

3 hours ago, BaldBobby said:

No PG in the oral version

Okay.  I thought you meant topical.

I havent noticed any circles under my eyes, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

The only minor side-effect I have noticed is very slight water retention around my waist.

But its not bad enough for me to discontinue the product

• Like 1

14 hours ago, splitting hairs said:

Oral minoxidil has been showing some very impressive results.  I am tempted to add it to my regimen, but my only concerns are the studies showing it decreases collagen production in the skin.  As a result, a lot of users have reported wrinkles - particularly around the eye area.  Any thoughts?  

Please link to the studies you refer to

Apologies, I should have been clearer.  There are a number of in vitro studies that show that collagen synthesis is reduced by minoxidil.  

This, coupled with the body of patient case reports, seems to suggest that it causes wrinkles under the eyes.  

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32951485/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30481795/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2826267/

Hope this helps.

Edited by splitting hairs
Typo

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 1 month later...

Random question. Loniten is no longer sold in the US right? But generics are correct?

I had a 5mg pill that I got while traveling and was prescribed 2.5mg in America (I got the generic for Loniten). The weird thing is the 2.5mg pill is a little bigger than the 5mg I was using (I was splitting them). Should I be concerned?

I googled a bit and Loniten is oral Minoxidil but just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

On 11/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, splitting hairs said:

It’s a valid concern but likely overblown. We’re taking 5-40 times less than prescribed for hypertension and that includes pediatrics. Even if there was a slight decrease in collagen production long term it’s likely negligible at 2.5 mg and can probably be offset with Tretinoin, vitamin C, and daily sun protection. 

The real concern is the rare cardiovascular side effects. Having no underlying conditions and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can likely offset these risks in a similar manner, but it’s a much greater risk than temporary sexual side effects. 

On 12/23/2022 at 12:57 AM, Gatsby said:

Yes loniten is oral minoxidil. My dermatologist increased my dose from 2.5mg to 5mg a day. I don't feel that I have more hair but I definitely feel that my hair all over is thicker. 😊

This study says that even 1.25mg can be effective

https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/very-low-dose-oral-minoxidil-in-male-androgenetic-alopecia/101851

• 3 months later...

Quick update after about 4.5 months of morning dosage @ 2.5mg:

*Blood pressure remains stable (record daily morning/night)  
*Did not have a noticeable shed nor have seen a noticeable increase in thickness
*Hair literally grows twice as fast (~1/2" in 2 weeks vs 4 weeks)
*Index finger is slightly larger/swollen (fitness tracker ring harder to take off)
*No noticeable increase in body/facial hair

• Like 1

As posted in another section yesterday…

Tried oral minox recently and had some scary sides. Chest pain and a change in heart rate kicked in around the 3-4 week mark.

Thankfully after a full heath check and coming off it I’m fine now. Dr suggested the bag around my heart had taken on excess fluids. He couldn’t say 100% it was the meds as viral infections can cause this however he’d be very surprised if it wasn’t. 

So just a word of warning. Even if you’ve got a full bill of health and no previous medical issues these meds can have quite serious side effects . I know I’m probably the 1/100 minority it happens to but be careful when first starting them and listen to your body.

My dose was 2.5 mg per day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Tried oral minox recently and had some scary sides. Chest pain and a change in heart rate kicked in around the 3-4 week mark.

Wow, glad you're ok!!  Worth noting since this medication does involve the heart, I purchased a Kardia device which I also monitor morning/night.  Everyone's body is different so you can never be too cautious IMO

• Valued Contributor

I should add too that I feel lucky in that I have not experienced any of the side effects such as dizziness, etc. Will add also that I have noticed that my eyebrows need an 'occasional trim!' So my belief that I feel my hair to be thicker (both scalp and beard) appears to be more than just subjective.

9 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I should add too that I feel lucky in that I have not experienced any of the side effects such as dizziness, etc. Will add also that I have noticed that my eyebrows need an 'occasional trim!' So my belief that I feel my hair to be thicker (both scalp and beard) appears to be more than just subjective.

"Aha" moment...my stylist has offered to trim my brows the past few months.  I have seen her the better part of a decade and this is the first she's done this.  Thought nothing of it but she is an esthetician so safe to assume I have this side as well. 

Got a good chuckle when I connected the dots on this one!

2 hours ago, AlBrown said:

Wow, glad you're ok!!  Worth noting since this medication does involve the heart, I purchased a Kardia device which I also monitor morning/night.  Everyone's body is different so you can never be too cautious IMO

Thanks 👍🏻

You’re doing the right thing. When it comes to the heart you can never be too careful. 

I guess I was just one of the small minority to have negative sides. I’m on Fin and fine with that so it’s not the end of the world.

Happy to post some reflections in this thread.

Prior to Oral: November 2019 to February 2022 5ML topical 2 x per day, reduced to 1 x per day when I used a derma roller. Had a slight drying effect on the scalp, but not to the point of causing dermatitis. I was on a pre existing Finasteride regime.

Feb to April 2022 was taking a daily capsule from an Australian compounding pharmacy with 1 mg + 1 mg Fin and Minox. In prep for a transplant I started ramping down the Minoxidil for a few weeks, by alternating the above capsules with a regular Fin tablet and back to topical every other day. Then stopped all Minox on 5 May ahead of the surgery until early June/July when I finished off the capsules.

20 July to the present (March 2023) changed it up to 2.5 mg capsules, from the same supplier, at 1 per day.

Recognising we can't run two versions of our life for comparison, I feel fairly comfortable saying that my progress through peak ugly-duckling seemed pleasantly fast in the weeks following surgery.

I don't notice a lot of side effects. Confounding the potential effects on other hair beyond the scalp, I was a pretty determined consumer of laser hair reduction treatments in the early 00s, so those follicles don't have a lot to work with now anyway. I think my eyebrows probably need more frequent trimming in recent times, and the gap between haircuts I've chosen to reduce a couple of times from 6 weeks down to a month.

As to my take on what standard of evidence to rely on...well, I mean to find a point of hopefully commonality, we're all pretty comfortable with the notion that no form of invasive surgery uses the double blind placebo standard. Like, we didn't decide that transplants are X percent effective by putting real grafts in one part of some volunteer's scalp, and pretend grafts in another.

Having practising surgeons iterate and follow informed speculation on the procedural side is exactly how it's meant to work with advancing the field. Having them iterate similarly with off-label medication, when there's little or no chance of getting large controlled efficacy studies, seems also like a pretty reasonable way to push the hair restoration field forwards.

Is it true Dr. Bisanga prefers prescribing oral minoxidil now over finasteride? I heard he said it could work potentially better even though it works differently?

• 4 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 6:29 AM, GoliGoliGoli said:

TBH I have a large mass developing on my left testicle but I'm pretty sure it's just psychosomatic. I've learned from hair loss forums that pretty much everything is nocebo 

Did you get it checked out?  I had a large mass developing on my left testicle also in 2018.  It turned out to be testicular cancer.  Luckily this type of cancer can be cured if you don't wait too long.

17 hours ago, Evan42 said:

Did you get it checked out?  I had a large mass developing on my left testicle also in 2018.  It turned out to be testicular cancer.  Luckily this type of cancer can be cured if you don't wait too long.

I was just joking to make a point, but you're right it isn't a laughing matter. I still remember Tom Green's song from the early 2000's imploring people in a colorful way to screen themselves for testicular cancer. It's worth doing. 

• Like 1

Always interesting how medication differs for people.

Some get amazing results from oral where as others like myself see nothing, and got better results on topical.

Genuinely feel like I’d have to take a dose that’s not considered “low dose” to see results on oral.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I understand the side effects can be serious.

It's not clear to me if anyone has actually had a heart attack or something similar from OM.

It seems like if you notice your chest or heart being affected, then you would just discontinue the drug?

Or if you have a pre-existing condition then you should not be taking this medication anyway?