Low dose oral minoxidil - Share your story or opinions

• Administrators

I'm here at @Parsa Mohebi, MD office today filming a hair transplant. His associate doctor Dr. Pan prescribed me 2.5mg. He recommended taking half of the pill at first, then moving up to the full pill. I'll be doing a full report on YouTube.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just clickbait article

i tried topical many years ago and my chest felt tight, considering heart is the number one killer I am not risking it for some hair

you don’t know what damage you’ve done to your heart in youth until you get to old age

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

Just clickbait article

i tried topical many years ago and my chest felt tight, considering heart is the number one killer I am not risking it for some hair

you don’t know what damage you’ve done to your heart in youth until you get to old age

True, for me topical minox caused a development of Rosacea, i was using it for 10 yrs, but had to discontinue as soon as i noticed it & did not take long to find out the cause. Minox dialates blood vessels.

Edited by civic

I’ve been on it for about 2 years 2.5 mg daily. I’ve heard the Kevin mann vid recently about his opinion against it. 

I haven’t had major problems, some days I can recall feeling a bit light headed and on the occasion get the tight chest. I will go see a cardiologist soon to run a ecg or ekg or really anything they suggest and I’ll asses further. I’ll update here in case anyone finds interest in it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

I’ve been on it for about 2 years 2.5 mg daily. I’ve heard the Kevin mann vid recently about his opinion against it. 

I haven’t had major problems, some days I can recall feeling a bit light headed and on the occasion get the tight chest. I will go see a cardiologist soon to run a ecg or ekg or really anything they suggest and I’ll asses further. I’ll update here in case anyone finds interest in it. 

Has it helped you hair any? Any regrowth? Maintenance?

4 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

Just clickbait article

Sounds like nocebo! Dangerous misinformation, your opinion should be banned!

7 hours ago, RTC said:

TBH I have a large mass developing on my left testicle but I'm pretty sure it's just psychosomatic. I've learned from hair loss forums that pretty much everything is nocebo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

Has it helped you hair any? Any regrowth? Maintenance?

Tough to judge for me as I had an ht correct a receded hairline but otherwise my hair everywhere else was in tact at the time I started meds (Fin and min). So for now I'm def getting maintenance as two years on and it all feels/looks the same. 

11 hours ago, civic said:

True, for me topical minox caused a development of Rosacea, i was using it for 10 yrs, but had to discontinue as soon as i noticed it & did not take long to find out the cause. Minox dialates blood vessels.

The same goes for oral Minox. It is even worse for Rosacea

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike10 said:

and you are able to diagnos this from your PC? Chest pain is a known side of oral minox

No, only 0.1-0.3% of people experience side effects. Anybody who claims they do have side effects is imagining it.  GlaxoSmithKline would never put anybody's health at risk!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RTC said:

No, only 0.1-0.3% of people experience side effects. Anybody who claims they do have side effects is imagining it.  GlaxoSmithKline would never put anybody's health at risk!

I do not believe that

12 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

Just clickbait article

Yeah, so the article is talking about oral minoxidil, not topical.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand

Opinions are like assholes - everyone’s got one, as the saying goes 🙃

I find it fascinating how many strong opinions there are on this topic from people who’ve obviously not actually done any proper research into the matter themselves.

Edited by New_Barnet_Please

20 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

Opinions are like assholes - everyone’s got one, as the saying goes 🙃

I find it fascinating how many strong opinions there are on this topic from people who’ve obviously not actually done any proper research into the matter themselves.

Uhhh ok bud

• Administrators

Guys,

Posts are getting reported. No need to be sensational. Side effects occur from virtually every medication. How your body reacts to a medication is dependent on the individual.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

11 hours ago, RTC said:

3 hours ago, RTC said:

Hello

I don’t understand, why should my opinion be banned? I simply shared my story with topical and people know about oral min for so long but the nyt article sensationalise it as a new cure when it isn’t. 

I am guessing you are trolling me but if not, what have said that’s ban worthy? I don’t appreciate the calls for my ban and this is second thread that’s been done to me and I got a warning already.

I agree gsk will not put anyone at harm, I used min for 2 months and the chest tightness and swollen face sides were mild but they did happen to me unfortunately. If you don’t believe that, it’s your problem but why should I be banned and how am I spreading misinformation. Maybe it was a nocebo effect, I didn’t even care about sides lol I stopped cause the topical would get into my eyes and sting and I had eye problem as a kid so I was very sensitive to hair/sebum/topical getting into my eyes. The sides were not bothering me at all and transient 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Took 2.5 mg today, absolutely zero issues. For what it’s worth. Still considering using topical 15% at night. 

• Like 1

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Took 2.5 mg today, absolutely zero issues. For what it’s worth. Still considering using topical 15% at night. 

I've been on 2.5mg for a long time now, zero issues. Started on 1.25mg before that for months as well. Got the green light to go up to 5mg (which would be max dose). Also had labs and EKG all done since being on oral minox - all beautiful. 

Sounds super interesting keep us posted. Anything else in the 15% solution? Minox max?

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You have to slowly ween off topical if you want to avoid a big shed. Check out this article:

https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/switching-topical-to-oral-minoxidil

There was also a recent study that concluded oral alone is just as effective as topical and oral combined.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35642572/

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, sunsurfhair said:

I've been on 2.5mg for a long time now, zero issues. Started on 1.25mg before that for months as well. Got the green light to go up to 5mg (which would be max dose). Also had labs and EKG all done since being on oral minox - all beautiful. 

Sounds super interesting keep us posted. Anything else in the 15% solution? Minox max?

It also has Azaleic acid.

View my thread