Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

7 minutes ago, hair_forever said:

This Verteporfin is amazing!

But has no doctor tried injecting it into the scalp to see if it can regrow atrophied hair.

No, but that would be a very easy trial to do, you could separate the treatment area into three regions, one where verteporfin is injected directly without any prior wounding, one where the area is lightly wounded first such as thru microneedling and one where there is a deeper fue puncture being made followed by a verteporfin injection, to see if the wound needs to be deep or if it doesn't need to be so for verteporfin to work.. I think that would tick all the boxes for a recipient site trial

Edited by takuma
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, takuma said:

No, but that would be a very easy trial to do, you could separate the treatment area into three regions, one where verteporfin is injected directly without any prior wounding, one where the area is lightly wounded first such as thru microneedling and one where there is a deeper fue puncture being made followed by a verteporfin injection, to see if the wound needs to be deep or if it doesn't need to be so for verteporfin to work.. I think that would tick all the boxes for a recipient site trial

the former two shouldn't be wasted with a doctor imho. any individual who cares enough about those can try it themselves. i would try it but i'm not interested in recipient site wounding anyways because those hairs are likely not dht resistant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

the former two shouldn't be wasted with a doctor imho. any individual who cares enough about those can try it themselves. i would try it but i'm not interested in recipient site wounding anyways because those hairs are likely not dht resistant.

True, but if it works, you could just keep doing it when the hairs reminiturize...lol 

Yeah, true it doesn't need a doctor except for a fue punch trial at the recipient site.

37 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

Well, if wounding + verteporfin does produce full or even partial regrowth, why not do it once with a $200,- price tag and do it again in 10 years (or whenever the non-DHT resistant hairs start to miniturize again)?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Square1 said:

Well, if wounding + verteporfin does produce full or even partial regrowth, why not do it once with a $200,- price tag and do it again in 10 years (or whenever the non-DHT resistant hairs start to miniturize again)?

You probably need to produce controlled wounds on the level of an FUE -- so there's a cost to that. We don't know what kind of skin the wounding will produce -- will it produce skin with the follicles already having been damaged by DHT? Probably not, but we just don't know and it's more important to first establish vert works the way it's meant to, and not introduce additional variables that may fail and dampen hopes.

Edited by Fox243
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

You probably need to produce controlled wounds on the level of an FUE -- so there's a cost to that. We don't know what kind of skin the wounding will produce -- will it produce skin with the follicles already having been damaged by DHT? Probably not, but we just don't know and it's more important to first establish vert works the way it's meant to, and not introduce additional variables that may fail and dampen hopes.

I would also imagine it might be more effective to achieve increased density after an fue.

Guys, I just found out two groups of researchers have conducted a microneedling test with verteporfin, and the conclusion of the studies are encouraging. These were animal studies, but I think this warrants Human experimentation with this technique of applying verteporfin. One of the group of reseachers developed a microneedling patch and outsourced the ingredients from Med Chem Express USA it seems. The studies were conducted on mice and rabbits

image.png.422017c2807b453f90b5048e2d269bbd.png

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-39129-6

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1385894723035970

Edited by takuma
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nikoni said:

@Fox243 do you know if there is existing FUE scars revision planned ? And what do you think about such possibility ?

Also wanted to thank you for the efforts.

Not that I know of. Honestly, I'm not sure if a scar revision would work. The literature doesn't share any info about its possibility or lack thereof. For now, we need to at least prove it works on virgin skin before expanding to other things.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see if the scientists studying it for more 'mainstream' purposes are intending to trial some scar revisions. I imagine the clinical utility of being able to minimise the appearance of prominent scars with more 'normal' skin and associated structures would be a major advancement for doctors, patients, and medical science in general. This would, in theory, spill over to our hair restoration interests too. Keen to see what the future holds, but I for one have been intrigued with these trials for over a year on this thread along with many other members on here. 
Here's to whatever the future holds! 

• Like 1

I have other issues related to hair and am wondering if Verteporfin could solve them. I have temples that are nearly hairless and am wondering if wounding the area and injecting the Verteporfin is likely to get a result of new skin tissue with hair appendages? Right now I am getting Kenalog shots to see if anything in the area can regenerate. I just got my second series of shots. It seems questionable if there is any progress but the dermatologist sees hair regrowth in his opinion. In addition to this I am taking 7.5 mg of oral minoxidil (2.5 mg, three times a day) for 7 months, vitex supplement for 1 month, inositol supplement for one month, and iron supplement for one month. I am hoping to get an even frontal hairline or youthful rounded hairline. 

Now another issue I have is what dermatologists tell me is a hair whorl in my right vertex which also exhibits a degree of male pattern baldness. I'm not sure this is exclusively the case. My situation was evaluated through Hair Metrix, reflectance confocal microscopy and dermatoscope. I refuse to biopsy. I have multiple thin linear areas of hairless scalp that extend downward in my right vertex. I was under tremendous stress a few years ago and felt tingling and numbness in the area, so suspect cicatricial alopecia being possible but did have the 100 day telogen effluvium following the incident. In addition, I had red pustules and pain from the stress months after due to my hair loss. I've gone to experts and none dare to transplant given the likely possibility of transection due to the areas of loss being so linear and thin. In summary, I want full hair coverage and no scalp peeking through. What is the likelihood Verteporfin can accomplish my objectives? How can I best fix my situation? Any thoughts? I am not interested in scalp micropigmentation. 

Sorry to divert somewhat regarding my particular situation but am very distraught over it as I think I caused it due to freaking out from learning of my initial temple hair loss. 

Additionally, I have very long hair and so finding the areas that need to get resolved could be extra difficult to isolate. My situation is a mess and the medical profession has failed me thus far in bringing about a cosmetic solution to my satisfaction. 

Edited by Hairgain
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, takuma said:

Guys, I just found out two groups of researchers have conducted a microneedling test with verteporfin, and the conclusion of the studies are encouraging. These were animal studies, but I think this warrants Human experimentation with this technique of applying verteporfin. One of the group of reseachers developed a microneedling patch and outsourced the ingredients from Med Chem Express USA it seems. The studies were conducted on mice and rabbits

image.png.422017c2807b453f90b5048e2d269bbd.png

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-39129-6

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1385894723035970

Murine studies are not applicable to human skin. When is the same experiment going to be used on porcine models? If it works in them then I will be fairly assured the method will also work in humans due having a more similar skin structure. 

Sorry for my absence of months and then posting so much. I am excited to see the successful results of Dr. Taleb Bargouthi's experiment with FUE and verteporfin to regenerate the skin and hair removed.

I am fairly sure fixing my situation would be best accomplished in a microneedling procedure. Ideally, it would be best to just inject the verteporfin without wounding the skin at all and get newly formed hairs but that seems not the way this drug works. Something has to signal the body that a wound has been inflicted in order for the healing process to be enacted. Now the question is how deep and large a wound is needed to get new skin to be regenerated with dense hair appendages? These are experiments Dr. Bloxham wants to do after listening to videos of him. The thing is who and when will a participant come forward? It won't be me, especially if a biopsy must be taken. I'd rather just get pictures taken to compare the difference before and after. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that once a wide wound is made, which is better to sew up the area? Staples or dissolvable stitches? Dr. Bloxham uses staples, which I seem to not like and they could cause follicular loss should they get into an area containing follicular ostia.   

Two questions: 

1) Does this have to involve a transplant? Could it be used for a diffuse thinner to "heal" (and thicken) hair that has minaturised? 

2) What is the next step? Usually with treatments that might work, we are waiting on an upcoming trial or test or results or something. What are we waiting on here? 

7 minutes ago, ClarkKent77 said:

Two questions: 

1) Does this have to involve a transplant? Could it be used for a diffuse thinner to "heal" (and thicken) hair that has minaturised? 

2) What is the next step? Usually with treatments that might work, we are waiting on an upcoming trial or test or results or something. What are we waiting on here? 

We are waiting on people to spread verteporfin to their doctors to either contact Melvin or me (gargnim01@gmail.com) to help them onboard. Here is an onboarding doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s3JkF9woMIebkXbpE_UxrjBfNy9i7AuBclDqn9HGrAo/edit

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SouthernYankee said:

Looks very promising. He is doing my FUE procedure next month and I can’t wait! On a side not. So far he and his staff have been incredible throughout the process. I will post updates of my journey. 

Do you do it with verteporfin ?

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Fox243 said:

This has caught attention on reddit too now haha: 

Weren’t they deleting threads about Verteporfin? Or was it just links to this thread.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

36 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Weren’t they deleting threads about Verteporfin? Or was it just links to this thread.

I think they don't like threads to external websites. Personally, I think links to other websites that are hair-related and don't scam the consumer are fine, but it's their choice I guess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fox243 said:

This has caught attention on reddit too now haha: 

Great work, again!

With this type of exposure, I am sure that people will get their hands on verteporfin / visudyne and try it at home / the beauty salon in combination with microneedling.

Questions I would like to see answered are if this could regenerate earlier removed donor hairs or miniturized hair (somehow removing the miniturization of the follicles). 

Edited by Square1
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:02 PM, Fox243 said:

I just had another doctor in Europe reach out to me about verteporfin. I will keep his name anonymous until he wishes to make it public. However, he also needs help with sourcing. Does anybody else have any ideas about places to source from? ideally we'd source visudyne, but if not, verteporfin from a very trusted place is fine as well.

https://www.apollopharmacy.in/salt/VERTEPORFIN

These guys are a multi billion dollar hospital and pharmacy chain in India.