Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Square1 said:

Great work, again!

With this type of exposure, I am sure that people will get their hands on verteporfin / visudyne and try it at home / the beauty salon in combination with microneedling.

Questions I would like to see answered are if this could regenerate earlier removed donor hairs or miniturized hair (somehow removing the miniturization of the follicles). 

I'm glad people share it on Reddit and other hair loss-related forums. The word needs to spread. If you guys want to share the video I posted yesterday, feel free too.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, SouthernYankee said:

Yes I believe so but will confirm and let you know

Oh dang that's huge. You can just ask Dr. Barghouthi if you want to use verteporfin and I'm sure he'd say yes. Honestly, i don't think anyone should be getting a HT without vert at this point -- we at least are confident that it won't hurt and most likely helps a lot.

Edited by Fox243

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/profile/32181-drtbarghouthi/ I am incredibly grateful and fortunate to have selected him as my surgeon, as he has exceeded my expectations. The inclusion of verteporfin in the procedure is simply an added bonus. Throughout my personal experience with him, we have had two comprehensive meetings over Zoom, as well as countless informative email exchanges with him and his team. He patiently and thoroughly addressed all of my questions, as well as those from my wife, regarding the anticipated outcomes. His honesty and ability to set realistic expectations to achieve a natural appearance were greatly appreciated. Additionally, he demonstrated forward-thinking by considering potential future hair loss and how it would affect the overall result. I am eagerly awaiting the surgery scheduled for December 16th.

Edited by SouthernYankee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernYankee said:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/profile/32181-drtbarghouthi/ I am incredibly grateful and fortunate to have selected him as my surgeon, as he has exceeded my expectations. The inclusion of verteporfin in the procedure is simply an added bonus. Throughout my personal experience with him, we have had two comprehensive meetings over Zoom, as well as countless informative email exchanges with him and his team. He patiently and thoroughly addressed all of my questions, as well as those from my wife, regarding the anticipated outcomes. His honesty and ability to set realistic expectations to achieve a natural appearance were greatly appreciated. Additionally, he demonstrated forward-thinking by considering potential future hair loss and how it would affect the overall result. I am eagerly awaiting the surgery scheduled for December 16th.

He's an amazing, caring doctor. I'm glad to have met him.

• Like 1

Honestly, I do feel quite bad for people who are still getting transplants after seeing vert's results. Imagine possibly ruining your chances for unlimited donor hair. I would instantly cancel or at the very least tell my doctor I'm not getting a transplant without vert. But everyone has their own choice.

• Like 2
  • Well Done 1

46 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

Honestly, I do feel quite bad for people who are still getting transplants after seeing vert's results. Imagine possibly ruining your chances for unlimited donor hair. I would instantly cancel or at the very least tell my doctor I'm not getting a transplant without vert. But everyone has their own choice.

For all we know, maybe you can use an FUE punch to excise existing scars, inject them with verteporfin, and get the donor back?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alopeciaphobia said:

For all we know, maybe you can use an FUE punch to excise existing scars, inject them with verteporfin, and get the donor back?

Maybe but there’s definitely a lower probability of that working, so why take the risk rather than ask for Verteporfin and pay an extra $1k.

1 hour ago, Fox243 said:

Maybe but there’s definitely a lower probability of that working, so why take the risk rather than ask for Verteporfin and pay an extra $1k.

For new surgeries definitely vert should be used immediately, no reason to go another scar excision procedure. But there are thousands scarred heads from older surgeries.  

Edited by sansi

the fact that this compound is already in the market and without any significant side effects is amazing.

i think even if it doesnt regenerate hair grafts, the fact that in can prevent scarring (white dots) in the donor area can increase the amount of grafts that can be transplanted significantly, right?

• Valued Contributor
On 11/9/2023 at 4:17 PM, Fox243 said:

Not that I know of. Honestly, I'm not sure if a scar revision would work. The literature doesn't share any info about its possibility or lack thereof. For now, we need to at least prove it works on virgin skin before expanding to other things.

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'd certainly be willing to have my FUE dot scars re-punched and then treated with verteporfin. Just the prospect of not having dot scars (or at least significant reduction in visibility) would be incredible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'd certainly be willing to have my FUE dot scars re-punched and then treated with verteporfin. Just the prospect of not having dot scars (or at least significant reduction in visibility) would be incredible.

There are many like you. I think it will be even more demanded. In Bloxham's trials old scars revision seemed to show even better response that virgin skin, 3 month update will give us better info. If doctors find good way of re-punching FUE scars,  it will theoretically start healing as virgin tissue.

On 11/11/2023 at 3:21 AM, Fox243 said:

i consider making an account on google an asking on google review thr clinics if they offer verteporfin, simply to spread awareness at clinics and possible patients who just use google and not other sources such as this forum when they choose a surgeon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
18 minutes ago, sansi said:

There are many like you. I think it will be even more demanded. In Bloxham's trials old scars revision seemed to show even better response that virgin skin, 3 month update will give us better info. If doctors find good way of re-punching FUE scars,  it will theoretically start healing as virgin tissue.

When you say:

18 minutes ago, sansi said:

If doctors find good way of re-punching FUE scars

What do you mean exactly? Surely re-punching old dot scars would be pretty easy to do as the scars are quite visible and would act as their own guide/target. And as there's no hair to remove, you could possibly even use a smaller punch than the one originally used to extract the hair, minimising risk to the native donor hair etc.

I'd have thought this would be fairly straight forward to do, and there'd be no shortage of people willing to be a test subject!

Here's a thought I had related to this and it involves hair parts. To make hair parts less noticeable, it there potential to wound skin in the area, inject verteporfin and have it regrow with more hair to cover these areas which appear thin and scalp is see through? It sounds to me like the possibilities are becoming enormous regarding what this drug can do. The problem is the expense and limited number of medical professionals willing to do experiments with it.  

Edited by Hairgain

7 minutes ago, Hairgain said:

Here's a thought I had related to this and it involves hair parts. To make hair parts less noticeable, it there potential to wound skin in the area, inject verteporfin and have it regrow with more hair to cover these areas which appear thin and scalp is see through? It sounds to me like the possibilities are becoming enormous regarding what this drug can do. The problem is the expense and limited number of medical professionals willing to do experiments with it.  

The skin there didn't initially even have hair though, so I don't think it would reproduce hair. Also, this drug isn't that expensive -- off-label is probably 1k a patient or so.

41 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

When you say:

What do you mean exactly? Surely re-punching old dot scars would be pretty easy to do as the scars are quite visible and would act as their own guide/target. And as there's no hair to remove, you could possibly even use a smaller punch than the one originally used to extract the hair, minimising risk to the native donor hair etc.

I'd have thought this would be fairly straight forward to do, and there'd be no shortage of people willing to be a test subject!

It's doable of course but not as straightforward as linear scar revision. When they take out hair follicles they do it under certain angle that matches hair growth direction. So the scar beneath the skin will form with the same angle. Also you don't want to remove extra healthy tissue with bigger punch and with smaller punch you risk to leave there some scarred tissue.  You don't know the depth of the scar etc.
With this said I believe these are variables that good surgeon will be able to work on.  

@DrTBarghouthi your last update was really huge and it started spreading pretty quickly. There are new posts on reddit one with almost 1000 upvotes and more than 400 comments. If you have other photos it would be great if you could share them, with more evidence we could speed up the snowball rolling.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, sansi said:

It's doable of course but not as straightforward as linear scar revision. When they take out hair follicles they do it under certain angle that matches hair growth direction. So the scar beneath the skin will form with the same angle. Also you don't want to remove extra healthy tissue with bigger punch and with smaller punch you risk to leave there some scarred tissue.  You don't know the depth of the scar etc.
With this said I believe these are variables that good surgeon will be able to work on.  

I think a smaller punch that may leave a small remnant of scar tissue really wouldn't be that big of a deal (the goal would be to *reduce* visible scarring - eliminating it completely sounds great but we have to be realistic). As you note, a larger punch would be ill-advised of course.

Direction and angle of the punch are indeed important but again that shouldn't be too hard to get right to within a reasonable degree of accuracy as long as the initial extractions were done really well and the surgeon re-punching is at least equally as skilled.

Doctor Barghouthi mentioned once that scars usually get smaller. So if you made 0.9mm wound the scar will be 0.7-0.8mm. Scars also are not as deep as wounds, so maybe not going deep will produce better healing. On the other hand if you don't go deep enough and some scar tissue remains, it may block hair regrowth.

Stanford doctors were confident that if you revise old scars, the mechanism of healing would be the same, so if verteporfin can completely heal skin when being injected on fresh wound, it can heal also previously scarred skin.  But there are variables that need to be tested, that's why we also need FUE scars revision trials.

• Like 2