Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

29 minutes ago, tatasabaya said:

I found this interview between Dr Bloxham and a surgeon called Dr Parissis from 2 weeks ago.

Someone in the comments asked this dr to join the effort and he replied he's working on it.

I think a lot of surgeons will join when verteporfin shows results in order to stay in competition.

Dr. Barghothi said that 0.4mg nicely healed so I think it should be really dramatic improvement to make a such claim.Hope he will share photos soon. Also we are close to 4 months mark of Dr. Bloxhams trials. Fingers crossed soon we will have proof of verteporfin efficiency.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, victorcitolago said:

I hope the verteporfin works 100%, since really looking at this last photo of Mr. KK I don't know if it would be worth going through everything that it entails so that it remains like this, that is, excision costs, suture costs, price of the verteporfin (which is exorbitant), apart from the fact that if you are not lucky enough to be from India or a country there, in my country for example (Spain) you can only buy it with a prescription and going to the black market is highly persecuted , apart from the fact that you get it depending on the length of the scar, the thickness, etc. you would still have to rest for a while without working, since it heals more slowly, so I would love for it to work for the complex that I have with my stretch marks, but I'm really not very optimistic about the medical path that this may have, since I don't think they will invest if all these handicaps are involved.

i think the price will go down dramatically as demand increases, so will supply and cost should go down, if verteporfin works! nobody with enough money to afford an HT already is going to not want it used, nobody wants that, unless they're like Norwood 2 and don't care.. But most people going for an HT are not going to fit into that mold, they're going to want something that regenerates their follicles and they're gonna want to go to Norwood 0,  back to normal, who wouldn't if the option was there. Supply and Demand..I expect another thing to happen.. high extraction Fue will become the standard if we're able to tap into an unlimited supply of hair follicles for HTs, then i can see doctors extracting out 40-60 percent or more of hair follicles from the donor as long or as much as the amount of regeneration allows. This is all contingent on if it works! and if so, how much regeneration we can tap into once dosage and technique is perfected. 

• Administrators

I’m not too convinced with the FUT trial. There’s an improvement, but not enough to warrant all the cost and linear scarring. Of course, it’s a preliminary trial, further studies are needed.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I’m not too convinced with the FUT trial. There’s an improvement, but not enough to warrant all the cost and linear scarring. Of course, it’s a preliminary trial, further studies are needed.

We’ve only seen one month of results – think we need to wait till month 4 or so for a better assessment. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

We’ve only seen one month of results – think we need to wait till month 4 or so for a better assessment. 

This video was released two months ago, so something isn’t adding up. How could he have done his first update two months ago and only be at one month.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

This video was released two months ago, so something isn’t adding up. How could he have done his first update two months ago and only be at one month.

He’s been lagging with the videos. The video you’re referring to is the day of the operation. His newest video just released the one month results. He will be releasing the 3 month results over the next few weeks. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

This is one month update, I guess it does what it supposed to do in such short period. Month 4-5 would be crucial.

One thing we are not talking about, Stanford guys did also trial on human skin graft that was transplanted to mice. They made sure that human cells would be responding during the trial not mice cells. And on cellular level the response to verteporfin was similar to pig's trial.

With the evidence we have so far  I would speculate that verteporfin is proven to be at least  efficient to some degree. And it is matter of trials and finetuning the protocol to increase the efficiency.

• Like 2

I don't want to give my opinion because it seems that you don't want to see reality even with everything against you: let's see, back in 2008 they discovered a topical cream called avotermin that significantly reduced scars, well, although we were doing several studies where it was clearly seen how the scars were reduced considerably, it did not pass the phase 3 trials and it remained a dead letter, I emphasize that I only said that it was a cream for topical use, therefore easier to use. I use it than verteporfin, safer, without so much downtime and cheaper, because it has still disappeared and today no one knows anything about it, so I imagine that verteporfin, having not shown 100% efficacy from the first moment, will end up happening the same. since no doctor is going to dare to cut a scar, inject verteporfin and then wait to see what happens, since for that they would have researched back in the day with the cream that at most the side effect it could cause would be irritation, but with verteporfin it has several effects that can arise: you can suture the patient badly, causing him to get a new scar and sue you, etc., so I honestly don't think this will end up going very far, sorry. How hard but it's the reality of what I see, I don't know, it was discovered in 2021 and there are very few doctors who have joined to experiment on their own, there must be a reason. The photo that I put below is the one of the cream called avotermin, as you can see it was not perfect but it worked, it worked, because even so it did not pass the phase 3 trials and until today that I bring it here it has not been talked about again, so I think that verteporfin being its method of application much more invasive and not showing 100% efficacy, I doubt that more investment will be made in it, I'm sorry because I know it's hard, but it's my opinion and what I'm afraid will end up happening.690613_fig_003b.jpg.b8db49d4816aa096956e765de608cf23.jpg

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Im quite excited with what i saw  as i think theres  two possible scenarios in the one month update video  the trauma of FUT with vertaporfin instead of shock loss caused the hair follicles in the surrounding tissue to sync the dormancy cyles and start growing  or the absolute dream scenario of follicle neogenesis in the bordering undamaged tissue before we even see the results in the damaged tissue.

Edited by HAIR5588

40 minutes ago, victorcitolago said:

I don't want to give my opinion because it seems that you don't want to see reality even with everything against you: let's see, back in 2008 they discovered a topical cream called avotermin that significantly reduced scars, well, although we were doing several studies where it was clearly seen how the scars were reduced considerably, it did not pass the phase 3 trials and it remained a dead letter, I emphasize that I only said that it was a cream for topical use, therefore easier to use. I use it than verteporfin, safer, without so much downtime and cheaper, because it has still disappeared and today no one knows anything about it, so I imagine that verteporfin, having not shown 100% efficacy from the first moment, will end up happening the same. since no doctor is going to dare to cut a scar, inject verteporfin and then wait to see what happens, since for that they would have researched back in the day with the cream that at most the side effect it could cause would be irritation, but with verteporfin it has several effects that can arise: you can suture the patient badly, causing him to get a new scar and sue you, etc., so I honestly don't think this will end up going very far, sorry. How hard but it's the reality of what I see, I don't know, it was discovered in 2021 and there are very few doctors who have joined to experiment on their own, there must be a reason. The photo that I put below is the one of the cream called avotermin, as you can see it was not perfect but it worked, it worked, because even so it did not pass the phase 3 trials and until today that I bring it here it has not been talked about again, so I think that verteporfin being its method of application much more invasive and not showing 100% efficacy, I doubt that more investment will be made in it, I'm sorry because I know it's hard, but it's my opinion and what I'm afraid will end up happening.690613_fig_003b.jpg.b8db49d4816aa096956e765de608cf23.jpg

If something didn't work in the past doesn't mean verteporfin wouldn't work now or anything else in the future. So far what we've seen is very promising.

• Like 2

If verteporfin works to regenerate hair, why would u want fut at all, if u got an unlimited donor bank, might as well go with fue, even if there are tons of mini fue scars they'll be covered with hair anyway

Hace 27 minutos, sansi dijo:

Si algo no funcionó en el pasado no significa que la verteporfina no funcione ahora ni en el futuro. Hasta ahora lo que hemos visto es muy prometedor.

You also say that what we've seen so far is very promising, okay, but how do you prove in a healed scar that the injected verteporfin has been the culprit that the skin has healed better? Because perhaps the type of suture of the wound and how it is done also has something to do with it, since I see a stitch suture as much more professional than a staple suture, for example. To check this, you would have to make 2 cuts exactly the same, of the same diameter and in the same place, in addition to applying the same dose of verteporfin to the 2 wounds, only then would you see if with the same elements the result is different.

Edited by victorcitolago
  • Face Palm 1

2 hours ago, victorcitolago said:

Dude what's the point of monitoring this thread if you are so skeptic about it.

2 hours ago, victorcitolago said:

You also say that what we've seen so far is very promising, okay, but how do you prove in a healed scar that the injected verteporfin has been the culprit that the skin has healed better? Because perhaps the type of suture of the wound and how it is done also has something to do with it, since I see a stitch suture as much more professional than a staple suture, for example. To check this, you would have to make 2 cuts exactly the same, of the same diameter and in the same place, in addition to applying the same dose of verteporfin to the 2 wounds, only then would you see if with the same elements the result is different.

You could make two incisions and compare the healing side by side, but It wouldn’t even take that all it would take is a plastic surgeon to preform a scar revision on an area like the chest, face or even on a cleft lip using verteporfin as these areas are prone to scarring regardless of healing ability, and if the fully healed result is clearly better or even 100% better then verteporfin is the culprit and definitely something to look into. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

How come you are standing behind and even glorifying Barghouthi trial and effort but trashing Dr.Bloxham trial! You didn’t even bother contacting him or getting him on your podcast… your dismissing of the man’s trial is unjustified and actually even suspicious. He is doing us a favor too! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tatasabaya said:

Amigo, ¿cuál es el punto de monitorear este hilo si eres tan escéptico al respecto?

Because I'll have to see how verteporfin works to be able to give my opinion, that is, I'm not going to give my opinion on something that I haven't seen and that I don't know either, so I'll have to follow the thread. That said, it is clear that verteporfin does something, but I don't think this is enough to continue perfecting a method, as I said yesterday, so expensive, with so much downtime, etc etc, because if it were so I think it would enhance for example the cream I used yesterday, which is easier to apply since it is a cream, It has no downtime, etc etc.

If both the Bloxham and the Barghouthi trials find any percentage of regrowth that is persistant over a longer period of time, I would call them a success.  It would show that the mechanism works and is capable of delivering results. If there is, let's say, a regrowth of 20%, that means that 20% of the skin had the right circumstances, amount of verteporfin delivered in the right way to grow back in such a way that would create new hair follicles. Further optimization would need to take place to understand how to increase it to a higher percentage.

Of course, it would be even better to get a patient a full head of new hair back, but if it pans out like described I would be happy about it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Square1 said:

If both the Bloxham and the Barghouthi trials find any percentage of regrowth that is persistant over a longer period of time, I would call them a success.  It would show that the mechanism works and is capable of delivering results. If there is, let's say, a regrowth of 20%, that means that 20% of the skin had the right circumstances, amount of verteporfin delivered in the right way to grow back in such a way that would create new hair follicles. Further optimization would need to take place to understand how to increase it to a higher percentage.

Of course, it would be even better to get a patient a full head of new hair back, but if it pans out like described I would be happy about it. 

Dr. Barghouthi reported some new hair growth since month 2, if the healing timelines of the two trials match, Dr. Bloxham will report new hairs in his next month 2/3 video. In case of FUT if hair grows from the wound that would be much more straightforward evidence.
Can't wait to see next updates from both doctors. These updates will shed a light on the verteporfin potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sansi said:

Dr. Barghouthi reported some new hair growth since month 2, if the healing timelines of the two trials match, Dr. Bloxham will report new hairs in his next month 2/3 video. In case of FUT if hair grows from the wound that would be much more straightforward evidence.
Can't wait to see next updates from both doctors. These updates will shed a light on the verteporfin potential.

Did Dr Bargouthi confirm whether those hairs were new growing hairs or previously transected hairs ... that's what I'm concerned about, a false positive

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, takuma said:

Did Dr Bargouthi confirm whether those hairs were new growing hairs or previously transected hairs ... that's what I'm concerned about, a false positive

That’s what the new trial aims to do, be more precise.

• Like 1

View my thread

Doctors are now injecting Verteporfin right after the wound is made, but has it ever been discussed if the drug should be reapplied in the days/months following the procedure for optimal healing?

How do we know if a one-time injection (provided the method and dossage are on point) is enough to unlock the full potential of the drug?

Edited by tatasabaya
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tatasabaya said:

Doctors are now injecting Verteporfin right after the wound is made, but has it ever been discussed if the drug should be reapplied in the days/months following the procedure for optimal healing?

How do we know if a one-time injection (provided the method and dossage are on point) is enough to unlock the full potential of the drug?

We next assessed the effects of multiple verteporfin doses. Treatment with two doses (POD 0 and 4) yielded healing rates, gross appearance, ECM, and EPF abundances comparable to single-dose effects (POD 0) (fig. S7). When dosage was increased to four treatments (POD 0, 4, 8, and 12), EPFs were almost fully depleted (fig. S7, D and E) but wound closure was delayed, hair regrowth was reduced, and ECM features diverged from those of unwounded skin (fig. S7, A to C). Thus, verteporfin affected wounds in a dose-dependent manner, with detrimental effects upon excessive dosing.

Despite scars’ excess collagen, they possess ≤80% of skin’s strength because of inferior ECM organization (26). We sought to determine whether verteporfin-induced regeneration also functionally recovered skin’s mechanical robustness. Consistent with scars’ decreased structural integrity, POD 30 control wounds had significantly reduced tensile strength (versus skin; Fig. 4I, green versus red). In contrast, verteporfin-treated wounds’ tensile strength did not significantly differ from that of unwounded skin (Fig. 4I, green versus blue), supporting restoration of unwounded-like strength (representative force-displacement/stress-strain curves, fig. S12).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9008875/

From my understanding here, when the researchers tried multiple doses it had reduced hair regeneration and too long delayed the wound closure, but im not sure if this means they tried multiple doses at once or if they tried to do so within longer time intervals ie days or weeks. But, my assumption is they spaced it out because they mentioned four treatments implying they treated the wound with verteporfin four different times in that attempt

I posted the study for reference 

Edited by takuma
  • Well Done 1

On 10/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay. I like to process the photos myself and I couldn’t get to that yet in clinic. Nonetheless, I know most of you are waiting for some sort of update. 
I had a look at the areas and the patient and I must say I’m quite happy with how the 0.4 mg and to some extent the 0.32 mg areas have developed. The 0.4 mg I found to be nicely healed . I will share the photos ofcourse but thought at least to give some update of what I saw thus far. 

@DrTBarghouthi Hello Dr Bargouthi, I have a question,  What do you plan to change in the next trial, regarding dosages, injection technique, tracking (ie tattooing each individual follicle extraction sites), etc?

Also, do you have the date finalized with the patent(s) for the next trial?

Thank you so much for doing these trials with Verteporfin doctor!