TRT and protecting hair

RTC

If you are genetically predisposed to hair loss, then as of today, finasteride is the only solid FDA approved, tried and tested option to attempt to prevent hair loss - regardless of being on TRT or not.

If you do start on TRT, then this will become all the more important (if preventing hair loss is a priority) as your elevated levels of testosterone will inevitably result in higher levels of DHT, should you not be blocking the enzyme that reduces testosterone into DHT. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Like 2

I guess you have to wait for the blood test but for real, maybe you have vitamin deficiency and that is the reason? When you are tired and have poor sleep rhythm, it will affect everything else in life, as well as horniness to be honest

I don't have a good answer about how to prevent hair loss while using testosterone. I would ask your Dr and hopefully someone else on here with experience can chime in. 

What I would say though is that your overall health is probably more important. If you truly have low T, then Testosterone therapy is probably helpful. I think it's probably wise to get on finasteride but like you said it can cause gyno. But I think gyno from fin is usually reversible? Although Testosterone can reverse gyno I believe too. Hormone therapy is tricky so make sure your Dr is experienced in the field. 

Overall, I think, and I say this lightly because I'm not a Dr, that if you truly are low and get on testosterone to just put your body in a normal range, then you should be ok. 

I know a few guys at my gym that take steroids but not for this reason and 1 suffers hair loss from it. He's also 45 and takes finasteride and minoxidil ( hair actually just looks age appropriate). Not sure this helps but I know their ranges have to be through the roof. They've been on them for 20 plus years. So by this small sample, I believe it has a lot to do with genetics. Likely the 1 guy balding was going to lose his hair anyway. 

Again I'd seek out a very experienced Dr before you proceed. Another option might be to post this question on a gym blog. You'd be surprised or not 🤪 by how much they know about testosterone therapy. 

17 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

If you are genetically predisposed to hair loss, then as of today, finasteride is the only solid FDA approved, tried and tested option to attempt to prevent hair loss - regardless of being on TRT or not.

If you do start on TRT, then this will become all the more important (if preventing hair loss is a priority) as your elevated levels of testosterone will inevitably result in higher levels of DHT, should you not be blocking the enzyme that reduces testosterone into DHT. 

This is what I was trying to say, just shorter 🤣

2 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Hi guys,

35 years old and I suspect I have low T.. generally always tired and libido really low these days

I obviously am here because I want to have a HT, but I also want to fix my low T (if it's actually low). Literally just ordered my blood tests to find out what's going on.

I am not on any medication like Finasteride or anything like that because I'm worried about obvious side effects. I weight train and play sports regularly, get sunlight in the morning, and eat pretty well. The only thing I really have yet to conquer is sleep as I always wake up throughout the night, which I'm sure impacts my T levels.

If I do go down the TRT route, how do I avoid potential hair loss problems? Would finasteride be the answer?

I also have a VERY small case of gyno which has been there since I hit puberty, which is another reason I'm reluctant to go on Fin. I don't want that to become a bigger issue.

Any advice would be great, thanks

Hello @Aslitarcan sucks,

Do checkout the link below for the hairline. It is better to consult a doctor and start medication so that a qualified physician can guide you throughout and allay the apprehension of Finasteride.

14 minutes ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Hello @Aslitarcan sucks,

Do checkout the link below for the hairline. It is better to consult a doctor and start medication so that a qualified physician can guide you throughout and allay the apprehension of Finasteride.

Nice results but unsure of the relevance of the video to the topic

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Feeling tired and sluggish can be a symptom of iron deficiency, so it may not be low T. I'd also check for low levels of vitamin D and Zinc.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I've been on TRT 3 times.

You'll need something to block Testosterone and a 5AR blocker

Daily Finasteride 0,5mg or 0.025% topically plus daily CB0301 5-7.5% 

Finasteride won't protect your hair from testosterone

I think I have boosted my Test really high over the last month, to the point I got a wet dream yesterday, even with regular release

Chelated Magnesium

Zinc Picolinate

Sunlight exposure in the morning (got this from Dr Andrew Huberman) (this is huge!)

Better sleep

Vitamin D3

Regular lifting (but I was doing that anyway, have lowered my reps to between 4-8, which is more conducive to a rise in tesosterone)

Just ordered Boron and going to test my levels next month

The only way to know your T levels is with bloodwork. And if you're low, TRT is not an issue. TRT only returns you to normal range, so maybe 100-150mg/week. 

If you're looking for a steroid cycle, that's different and don't call it TRT. 

I'm on 50mg/day Anavar and loving it. I'm also taking HGH but taking a break because of side effects, but I'll get back on it soon.

On 4/8/2022 at 5:03 AM, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I think I have boosted my Test really high over the last month, to the point I got a wet dream yesterday, even with regular release

Chelated Magnesium

Zinc Picolinate

Sunlight exposure in the morning (got this from Dr Andrew Huberman) (this is huge!)

Better sleep

Vitamin D3

Regular lifting (but I was doing that anyway, have lowered my reps to between 4-8, which is more conducive to a rise in tesosterone)

Just ordered Boron and going to test my levels next month

on what basis did you decide on the above supplements - Did the doctor recommend or did you get them on your own.

1 hour ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I listened to a podcast with Dr Andrew Huberman and Derek from More Plates More Dates. Amazing turnaround from a month or so ago when I felt like I had zero lividio and energy.

I'll be doing bloodwork soon to check my levels.

Eagerly awaiting for your test numbers...will be a good reference case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I listened to a podcast with Dr Andrew Huberman and Derek from More Plates More Dates. Amazing turnaround from a month or so ago when I felt like I had zero lividio and energy.

I'll be doing bloodwork soon to check my levels.

Can you share link to the exact video/podcast - there seem to be too many.

BTW: I'm thinking of visiting a endocrinologist to discuss everything.

5 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I don't think you're allowed to share links here so I'll PM you

Thx PM please.

I had tested back in Jan I think and my T-Level was 190 which is pretty low and they recommended TRT but I was wary of TRT. For now I'm on GNC Energy/Metabolism multi vitamin and ashwagandha. It might have made some improvement but haven't done testing yet.

Came here tp get info on hair few years ago and now I'm NW7 and on top of that low T..LOL.

Edited by Panamera13