3001 FUE grafts with Dr Sethi from Eugenix. March 1st to March 3rd.

• Valued Contributor

@Tony711 I’m so sorry that this has happened. It’s only my 2cents worth but I estimate that something is going on at a biological level if previous FUT surgeries failed to yield growth (or good growth). I agree with @Melvin- Moderator comments that surgery going forward is probably not the best move (for reasons I have alluded to). I would definitely look at going on Finasteride or Dutasteride if you have not trialled these medications. I’m not a doctor but I think oral minoxidil is also worth a try if you are able to take it. I have found that oral minoxidil has been a huge improvement for my own hair. Stay in touch with Dr Sethi and I wish you all the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony711 said:

Thanks man.  I went ahead and buzzed the hair to 1  1/2 to even it out. I feel the beard hair still growing so I figure maybe if I buzz it down and even the hair all over eventually it may work out. 

Sorry to hear your case Tony.

The buzz should tidy things up and hopefully you will see some growth from the beard FU's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Z-- said:

I do believe a refund is warranted, especially if follow-up surgery will do more harm than good. 

I agree - hopefully there a satisfactory outcome for the OP

While it admirable Dr.S takes on difficult cases, when he accepts the challenge he also shares the risk.

Expectations were set and not achieved.

If refunds are ruled out then it's all upside for the clinics.

They bank the money regardless.

There needs to be a cost to the business of taking on low probability cases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

I don't think I've seen this thread before, but now that Melvin pointed me to it I read through all of it and I'll add a few questions and comments.

@Tony711 you said you had about 2300 (I think that's what I read) grafts done years ago. Did they grow at all? Did they fall out within the first few years? Did they fall out slowly over the years as your donor area thinned?

Either way I think there should have been a much smaller HT done on you to see how it would turn out. I'm thinking it should have been half of what you got, about 1500 grafts. The area covered could have been the same as you have, but the grafts should have been spaced out more. Why am I saying this? Because since you had 2300 grafts done prior and no real hair to show for it, you needed to (1) Find out if there is any other cause of the hair falling out and (2) since you now have a lot of scars from old grafts, you need to allow some extra room between grafts to allow for better blood flow and nerve reconnection which may both not be optimal from previous transplanting.

That was my thinking when I started my own repair, but I had a lot more scarring than you as I had multiple scalp reductions, hundreds of spaces between grafts punched out and sewn closed to try to eliminate space between grafts, and many many punch grafts. I was very reluctant to use up half of my beard and chest hair just to find out it didn't grow in and then what would I do next. I know this doesn't help you now, but I just wanted to comment. Yours is a very depressing case, somewhat like my own. I hope you still have enough grafts left to get a big improvement.

If you decide to try again, I suggest you only put a small amount of grafts in the area that didn't grow rather than try to dense pack it again and get the same results. It's tough having to wait just to see if a small amount of hair grows, but it's better than waiting and still only a small amount grows, yet you wasted all of your donor and paid a lot more money for it.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

18 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@Tony711 I’m so sorry that this has happened. It’s only my 2cents worth but I estimate that something is going on at a biological level if previous FUT surgeries failed to yield growth (or good growth). I agree with @Melvin- Moderator comments that surgery going forward is probably not the best move (for reasons I have alluded to). I would definitely look at going on Finasteride or Dutasteride if you have not trialled these medications. I’m not a doctor but I think oral minoxidil is also worth a try if you are able to take it. I have found that oral minoxidil has been a huge improvement for my own hair. Stay in touch with Dr Sethi and I wish you all the best. 

Thanks mate.  I’m looking into topical Finasteride.  Will go see a dermatologist and see what he says. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

I don't think I've seen this thread before, but now that Melvin pointed me to it I read through all of it and I'll add a few questions and comments.

@Tony711 you said you had about 2300 (I think that's what I read) grafts done years ago. Did they grow at all? Did they fall out within the first few years? Did they fall out slowly over the years as your donor area thinned?

Either way I think there should have been a much smaller HT done on you to see how it would turn out. I'm thinking it should have been half of what you got, about 1500 grafts. The area covered could have been the same as you have, but the grafts should have been spaced out more. Why am I saying this? Because since you had 2300 grafts done prior and no real hair to show for it, you needed to (1) Find out if there is any other cause of the hair falling out and (2) since you now have a lot of scars from old grafts, you need to allow some extra room between grafts to allow for better blood flow and nerve reconnection which may both not be optimal from previous transplanting.

That was my thinking when I started my own repair, but I had a lot more scarring than you as I had multiple scalp reductions, hundreds of spaces between grafts punched out and sewn closed to try to eliminate space between grafts, and many many punch grafts. I was very reluctant to use up half of my beard and chest hair just to find out it didn't grow in and then what would I do next. I know this doesn't help you now, but I just wanted to comment. Yours is a very depressing case, somewhat like my own. I hope you still have enough grafts left to get a big improvement.

If you decide to try again, I suggest you only put a small amount of grafts in the area that didn't grow rather than try to dense pack it again and get the same results. It's tough having to wait just to see if a small amount of hair grows, but it's better than waiting and still only a small amount grows, yet you wasted all of your donor and paid a lot more money for it.

I did have 2300 grafts between 1996 and 1999,  they grew out but definitely didn’t give me the coverage like the Dr promised.  The only style I would do is slick the hair back and use toppik to make look full 

The irony is when I went to Dr Sethi, he had written a book and it turned out the Dr that help him to word or edit the book was the same Dr that I went to in the 90s.  

8 minutes ago, Tony711 said:

I did have 2300 grafts between 1996 and 1999,  they grew out but definitely didn’t give me the coverage like the Dr promised.  The only style I would do is slick the hair back and use toppik to make look full 

The irony is when I went to Dr Sethi, he had written a book and it turned out the Dr that help him to word or edit the book was the same Dr that I went to in the 90s.  

Care to mention who was the doctor you went to originally in the 90's?

I also don't think that accessing his hair transplants in the 90's is an issue of his scalp. It could also be the issue of the lack of technology and how awful hair transplants were back then. Whenever I see someone saying that got a transplant in the 90's I always see how bad the results were regardless of the surgeon/person. 

Transplants back then were NOT what they are now. I would be interested to know why his beard grafts didn't grow as they should of. 

Tony best wishes to you, happy new year, and I hope you get this closed out quickly with a refund or a full repair and meet your hair goals eventually. But as mentioned by Melvin and others do not going for another surgery until you figure out what the issue is. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 6:50 AM, Tony711 said:

He took one look at my beard and my chest hair and said we can give you full head of hair!!   Probably 10,000 to 12000 grafts.    I was not expecting that, he said let’s do 3000 grafts.  So we decided to do 3000 instead of 2000. 
518 was scalp and 2500 beard.  

He told me my beard is very good and can probably do the crown too. 

If you read the initial description it says that Dr Sethi told to @Tony711that his beard is very good and he can extract 10000-12000 hairs from beard and chest...So he can give him a full head of hair. Thats why Dr sethi got this case, because he felt that he could give a full head of hair with the OP's beard grafts...Otherwise he would refuse him as a patient.

However the first surgery was not successful as it was expected and the majority of his 2500 beard grafts did not survive, therefore i dont think that Dr Sethi still believes that he can give a full head of hair to @Tony711.

The best solution for the OP is to shave his head, do an SMP and get a money refund from Eugenix for the lost beard grafts.

Edited by BaldGuy
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

I also don't think that accessing his hair transplants in the 90's is an issue of his scalp. It could also be the issue of the lack of technology and how awful hair transplants were back then. Whenever I see someone saying that got a transplant in the 90's I always see how bad the results were regardless of the surgeon/person. 

Transplants back then were NOT what they are now. I would be interested to know why his beard grafts didn't grow as they should of. 

Tony best wishes to you, happy new year, and I hope you get this closed out quickly with a refund or a full repair and meet your hair goals eventually. But as mentioned by Melvin and others do not going for another surgery until you figure out what the issue is. 

It was Dr True.  I agree with you back in the mid 90s the procedure was not as advance as it is today so the results weren’t upto expectations. 

Im waiting on Dr Sethi to do his research and see what he says. 

Happy new year to you too! 🥳🎉🎊

12 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

probably Robert True of True and Dorin. 

I think your best option is to:

1. Start oral Minoxidil to thicken up any existing hair you have in the recipient area

2. Get a refund from Eugenix

3. Use the refund to visit a top SMP clinic and get SMP as the shaved look suits you plus you'll have a good amount of hair on top so it will look natural

Then you can move on with your life with confidence and not stress about this anymore. 

Edited by mrmane85
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just an update 

No new improvement obviously. I have started topical dutasteride last week, so will see.  

Dr Sethi contacted me but it was after 12am and I was a sleep last week.  So the next day I contacted him and he said he would contact me the next day which he didn’t. 

His team contacted me two days ago asking for follow up pictures but I told them it’s now 11 months out and no improvement, not sure why sending pictures would do any good. 

A friend told me one of his friend went to Turkey at the same time I went to india,  and after 6 months he was happy and just went back again for second procedure.  My friend told me that he saw his results,  and it was amazing and the guy paid $3K.  

When he asked how much I paid he was shocked and thinks I was ripped off,   I paid almost $25K for 3000 grafts just so Dr Sethi would do the procedure and thinking I would get the best results because I was told it would be 30 to 35cm2 in density, but it seems the money was a waste.  

To be honest , I’m not happy with the Eugenix team.  All they do is send a monthly communication asking for pictures then saying wait another 6 months for improvement and let your hair grow out.  

At this point when the time is right will see what other options I have.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tony711 said:

Hey Guys,

Just an update 

No new improvement obviously. I have started topical dutasteride last week, so will see.  

Dr Sethi contacted me but it was after 12am and I was a sleep last week.  So the next day I contacted him and he said he would contact me the next day which he didn’t. 

His team contacted me two days ago asking for follow up pictures but I told them it’s now 11 months out and no improvement, not sure why sending pictures would do any good. 

A friend told me one of his friend went to Turkey at the same time I went to india,  and after 6 months he was happy and just went back again for second procedure.  My friend told me that he saw his results,  and it was amazing and the guy paid $3K.  

When he asked how much I paid he was shocked and thinks I was ripped off,   I paid almost $25K for 3000 grafts just so Dr Sethi would do the procedure and thinking I would get the best results because I was told it would be 30 to 35cm2 in density, but it seems the money was a waste.  

To be honest , I’m not happy with the Eugenix team.  All they do is send a monthly communication asking for pictures then saying wait another 6 months for improvement and let your hair grow out.  

At this point when the time is right will see what other options I have.  

I understand your frustration and agree with your sentiments overall. 

the one thing I don’t agree with is comparing apples to oranges , with your friend. Did you friend have a severely depleted donor etc. or was this his first procedure? I am guessing he had a virgin scalp so you can’t compare.

The rest is between you and how Dr Sethi wants to handle it. Hope you get a refund.

Edited by shiba1985

17 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

I understand your frustration and agree with your sentiments overall. 

the one thing I don’t agree with is comparing apples to oranges , with your friend. Did you friend have a severely depleted donor etc. or was this his first procedure? I am guessing he had a virgin scalp so you can’t compare.

The rest is between you and how Dr Sethi wants to handle it. Hope you get a refund.

I agree , can’t compare. He was a friend of a friend actually. N

On 1/8/2023 at 9:48 PM, davidn said:

Looks great

I just see now that it seems you get only beard grafts. As far as I understand beard is harder to make dense because only about 50% is visible at any one time. 

Edited by Xanadu

20 minutes ago, ahmed9500 said:

SAME BOAT!!! Please see my thread - i totally empathise with you. I hope they will look after you and come to some sort of agreement that is fair. @Melvin- ModeratorI hope you can also help with this seen as though you are close to dr. Sethi and co.

This is what I see is going on, they expanded to fast and usually with fast expansion, the customer service goes downhill. This happens in any organization. 

I feel Dr Sethi has taken on more than he can handle.  

On January 24th when I texted him back he said let’s talk tomorrow   I know he’s busy so I would wait for him but he never texted or call back  

But today early this morning,  he sends me a message about a school which he is opening and wants my blessing.  It’s admirable of him for helping others, but it doesn’t fix my situation.   

Anyways, I will keep the hair short for now I guess until he decides what’s the best resolution. 

21 minutes ago, Xanadu said:

I just see now that it seems you get only beard grafts. As far as I understand beard is harder to make dense because only about 50% is visible at any one time. 

With the consultation I had they told me to expect a density of 30 to 35cm2 but it’s noting close to it.  

I tried to post this in response to Ahmed9500 but got a message that the moderator needs to approve this.  So will post again without quoting @ahmed9500

This is what I see is going on, they expanded to fast and usually with fast expansion, the customer service goes downhill. This happens in any organization. 

I feel Dr Sethi has taken on more than he can handle.  

On January 24th when I texted him back he said let’s talk tomorrow   I know he’s busy so I would wait for him but he never texted or call back  

But today early this morning,  he sends me a message about a school which he is opening and wants my blessing.  It’s admirable of him for helping others, but it doesn’t fix my situation.   

Anyways, I will keep the hair short for now I guess until he decides what’s the best resolution. 

• Administrators

Tony, 

I don’t know why the system has flagged your post. I’ve reached out to Dr. Sethi in your behalf.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.