Are Natural Anti-Androgens Effective For Treating Hair Loss Topically?

• Administrators

I'm actually in the process of formulating our very own natural formula. My plan is to take high concentrations of natural anti-androgens and test my serum DHT levels and scalp DHT levels. If we see inhibitory effects on the scalp, I really think we will have a good adjunct or alternative for those who refuse to take finasteride. I'm going to be 100% transparent and open about everything filming everything on YouTube. I'm personally going to invest my own money in this, because as someone who can't take finasteride, personally I want an adjunct. Let me know your guys thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

@Melvin- Moderatorlet me know if you need any help ....glad to assist in any capacity, also not on fin and going natural route. this is great, hope you get something positive out of it.

I’m planning to run a pilot, I’ll probably send a bottles out to forum members willing to test it out. Preferably using a log on here to track their progress.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I hear about rosemary oil mixed with jojoba oil  can give similar effect to minoxidil 2% and as well dht blocker.  Unlike min. and Fin. there is no side effects for these oils

Edited by Fego

I dont see any market for natural DHT blockers.

If your sensitive to side affect from Propecia. Reducing DHT through natural substance isnt really going to make a difference. If you dont get affects it probably jst isnt reducing DHT all that much & wont have a huge affect & redcing hairloss.

But it is worth a try though I guess.

The strange thing is that when I took Propecia for 2 years . I took it every 3 days the 2.5mg(too high a dose) & it didnt stop my hairloss.

I stopped it in 2017 & thought then I would lose hair rapidly. But I have lost hair at the same rate since. Just lose a small bit every year. Have done since I was 17.

Weird that reducing DHT didnt stop my hairloss.

@Melvin- Moderator- Have you entertained the idea of doing your experiment with topical dutasteride? With it's high molecular weight, it is speculated that it hardly goes systemic.

We have heard a few doctors including Dr. Wong and Dr. Mwamba talk about it, but I have yet to see any studies doing pre and post tests of both serum and scalp DHT levels. 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, JC71 said:

Just don’t start pushing a “Melvin miracle shampoo” 😂

🤣 no never

View my thread

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Lol have we created a junior Spex in the making ? 😂

Definitely NOT! No shampoos or hair vitamins for me. I’m gonna test it all out on myself and give it to others here for free first to try. If it’s a bust I’ll take the loss.

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SLA said:

@Melvin- Moderator- Have you entertained the idea of doing your experiment with topical dutasteride? With it's high molecular weight, it is speculated that it hardly goes systemic.

We have heard a few doctors including Dr. Wong and Dr. Mwamba talk about it, but I have yet to see any studies doing pre and post tests of both serum and scalp DHT levels. 

Yes, I’m definitely willing to try. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Interesting Melvin. 

What ingredients are you looking to compound together? 

Many of the ingredients mentioned in the article with a few others. 

View my thread

I have tried almost all options orally and topically that are natural, safflower oil, red clover, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, rosemary oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, in various concoctions...

Nothing worked and I had to get on finasteride.

However I was doing random bro-science lol.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

I have tried almost all options orally and topically that are natural, safflower oil, red clover, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, rosemary oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, in various concoctions...

Nothing worked and I had to get on finasteride.

However I was doing random bro-science lol.

You know, I’m curious to see how effective it’ll be with the right vehicle topically. I think it’ll be a lot more effective. I think topicals are the way of the future both natural and medicinal.

View my thread

3 hours ago, hairman22 said:

If your sensitive to side affect from Propecia. Reducing DHT through natural substance isnt really going to make a difference. If you dont get affects it probably jst isnt reducing DHT all that much & wont have a huge affect & redcing hairloss.

This is the reality of the situation. It doesn’t matter what you use or how you suppress DHT, if you are affected by the decline in your levels, you are affected either way.

The key is finding the balance in being able to suppress your DHT to a point in which it halts hair loss, yet doesn’t have any physical or mental implications on your body. Perhaps it will be easier to achieve this with natural supps that offer a milder suppression for some, perhaps microdosing propecia is the solution for some  . . Who knows? 

I’m all for a more holistic approach though, as opposed to manufactured chemicals.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

This is the reality of the situation. It doesn’t matter what you use or how you suppress DHT, if you are affected by the decline in your levels, you are affected either way.

The key is finding the balance in being able to suppress your DHT to a point in which it halts hair loss, yet doesn’t have any physical or mental implications on your body. Perhaps it will be easier to achieve this with natural supps that offer a milder suppression for some, perhaps microdosing propecia is the solution for some  . . Who knows? 

I’m all for a more holistic approach though, as opposed to manufactured chemicals.   

Doctors who prescribe the drug withot baseline bloodwork done are wrong imo.

A cosmetic surgeon wshould not be advising a patient to get on the drug before getting baseline bloodwork done.

For example if your baseline DHT is very high I would think the chances of side affects are very very slim.

On the other hand if your baseline DHT is already low you have a much higher chance.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Doctors who prescribe the drug withot baseline bloodwork done are wrong imo.

A cosmetic surgeon wshould not be advising a patient to get on the drug before getting baseline bloodwork done.

For example if your baseline DHT is very high I would think the chances of side affects are very very slim.

On the other hand if your baseline DHT is already low you have a much higher chance.

It depends on the individual though, some guys can function with almost no DHT. The goal should be eliminating DHT from the scalp, and not systematically. That’s what I’m gonna test on myself. If I lower DHT both locally and systemically, it wouldn’t be a success. According to Dr. Hasson, they have that now with their topical formula. 

• Like 1

View my thread

15 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

It’s not as straight forward as this - it’s entirely down to the individual and how their body reacts to the change in hormone profile. We’re all delicately tuned so differently. 

17 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Agree with this 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, hairman22 said:

I dont see any market for natural DHT blockers.

But it is worth a try though I guess.

The strange thing is that when I took Propecia for 2 years . I took it every 3 days the 2.5mg(too high a dose) & it didnt stop my hairloss.

I stopped it in 2017 & thought then I would lose hair rapidly. But I have lost hair at the same rate since. Just lose a small bit every year. Have done since I was 17.

Weird that reducing DHT didnt stop my hairloss.

DHT is only one part of the problem with hair loss. There are three factors that contribute to hair loss. Factor #1 shortened anagen phase. Your terminal hairs are active less time and more of your hair is in the resting phase. Scalp inflammation, which induces further shedding and the miniaturization of the hair follicles as a result of DHT. 

The ‘big 3’ treat all three. Minoxidil keeps your hair follicles in the anagen phase longer. Finasteride stops DHT from shrinking the hair follicles, and nizoral stops scalp inflammation. You need a plan to treat all three to be truly successful.  

• Like 2

View my thread