How long should I stay in the area after getting a hair transplant (i.e. cleanings, complications)?

I've got a date booked for mid-May 2022 and I've been pondering exactly how long I should stay.

I was thinking I would stay at least a couple of weeks if not three weeks just so I can go in for cleaning and in case there are complications from the transplant. I figured if I do three weeks, I might be able to spend a bit more time in Spain and do some touristy stuff.

The concern though is that if I'm staying in a hotel for a 3 weeks or a month that it starts getting quite expensive

Many patients who fly in for hair transplant surgery will travel home within the next day or two after the procedure.   In the rare even if a complication that requires the care of a physician, patients often go to a local doctor under the advice of their surgeon.  That said, it’s never a bad idea to stay near the clinic longer in the even if an issue.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

You can technically leave within a day or two after the surgery. If you're traveling, I'd feel more comfortable staying around for at least a week in the area. The day after surgery, I had some bleeding issues in my donor area and it really would have been a pain in the ass if I was flying out that day and I was just leaking everywhere on the plane without having access to proper bandages. Your face is also probably going to swell up on day 3-6. You'd also be giving your grafts some more time to solidify before putting on headgear for extended periods of time (assuming you will be wearing a hat or something while traveling).

Where in Spain are you staying? Spain usually has cheap private rooms to stay in, like $30-70 a night, but quite a bit of them are shared bathrooms. If you're lucky, you may find a private room with a shower in it for around the same price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexMeister21 said:

You can technically leave within a day or two after the surgery. If you're traveling, I'd feel more comfortable staying around for at least a week in the area. The day after surgery, I had some bleeding issues in my donor area and it really would have been a pain in the ass if I was flying out that day and I was just leaking everywhere on the plane without having access to proper bandages. Your face is also probably going to swell up on day 3-6. You'd also be giving your grafts some more time to solidify before putting on headgear for extended periods of time (assuming you will be wearing a hat or something while traveling).

Where in Spain are you staying? Spain usually has cheap private rooms to stay in, like $30-70 a night, but quite a bit of them are shared bathrooms. If you're lucky, you may find a private room with a shower in it for around the same price.

I'd be in Valencia which is where Dr. De Freitas is located. I'm gonna get my receded temples filled in and maybe have my hairline lowered like half a centimeter though not sure if I'll have to compromise on that second part. I was thinking of getting a hotel for like 3 weeks or a month but hotel rooms are like 100 a night which is fine but definitely adds up when you're there for a month. Do you know where I could get a cheap room for like 30-70? I was maybe thinking of bringing someone with me just cause Valencia is supposed to be really nice in May and maybe with that third week of vacation, I can do stuff now that the grafts are anchored

Yeah I read that CoL in Spain is super cheap... like a few hundred euros for a place and I work a job where I can work remotely 100% of the time... I'm really starting to think I should move to Spain instead of paying out the wazoo here in Toronto.

Edited by deeznuts

3 hours ago, deeznuts said:

I've got a date booked for mid-May 2022 and I've been pondering exactly how long I should stay.

I was thinking I would stay at least a couple of weeks if not three weeks just so I can go in for cleaning and in case there are complications from the transplant. I figured if I do three weeks, I might be able to spend a bit more time in Spain and do some touristy stuff.

The concern though is that if I'm staying in a hotel for a 3 weeks or a month that it starts getting quite expensive

I left the next day after my second surgery, but when I planned my first surgery, I stayed longer. If it is your first transplant, you should wait for a week because you will be concerned about the smallest things. Check small hotels; they are usually cheaper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

I'd be in Valencia which is where Dr. De Freitas is located. I'm gonna get my receded temples filled in and maybe have my hairline lowered like half a centimeter though not sure if I'll have to compromise on that second part. I was thinking of getting a hotel for like 3 weeks or a month but hotel rooms are like 100 a night which is fine but definitely adds up when you're there for a month. Do you know where I could get a cheap room for like 30-70? I was maybe thinking of bringing someone with me just cause Valencia is supposed to be really nice in May and maybe with that third week of vacation, I can do stuff now that the grafts are anchored

Yeah I read that CoL in Spain is super cheap... like a few hundred euros for a place and I work a job where I can work remotely 100% of the time... I'm really starting to think I should move to Spain instead of paying out the wazoo here in Toronto.

Check rentalia, you will find apartments for 1000 € three weeks

• Like 1

Having traveled for my surgery, I stayed 3 days after, and I think 3 days was perfect.  Enough time so donor no longer is oozing liquids, and the scabs are nice and dry and being at the airport isn’t a problem.

• Like 2

Check out my journey here:

1 hour ago, deeznuts said:

I usually use Booking.com's mobile app. If you look at rooms on your phone, they usually have some mobile discounts. Here are some options I see in mid-May from Booking using dates May 10 - May 31. (I didn't add tax rates, so prices will be more expensive than these after tax).

Habitacion cerca del centro - $576 for Double room with shared bathroom

- $645 for double room with shower

Pension Alicante - $641 for double room with shower and sink, shared toilet

Ruzafa Lander - $886 (plus $100 cleaning fee) for Studio apartment, private bathroom

- $960 (plus $100 cleaning fee) for one-bedroom apartment, private bathroom, small kitchen, washer machine.

Sundos Feria Valencia - $924 for double room with private bathroom.

I'm not sure how you plan on getting around Valencia, but public transportation is kind of shit there compared to other places like Madrid and Barcelona. So you might want to get a place close to your doctor, unless you have a plan of getting around. Never took a taxi there and I don't think they have uber or anything.

• Like 1

Actually it probably depends on whether you are having FUT or FUE and personal preference. FUT is more invasive and hence might auger for some extra recuperative time.  I heard that travel does subject the transplanted hair to the possibility of germs and infection. I was given a cover for the airline headrest. Personally I stayed 3 full days after and left on 4th day which I think was perfect, although another day wouldn't have hurt. It takes time to wash all the medications out of your system. It is nice for clinic to do a few days of washing. It is nice to have some down time just to rest and recuperate. Bottom line there is no magic number, but taking some additional time is a nice luxury.

Edited by Mountinvan
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I’m staying for 4 days, the first 3 days are the most crucial. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 hours ago, deeznuts said:

The real answer is everyone is different. 

For me personally I want to leave as fast as possible, I left 2 days after the procedure, I wish I would have left the day after the procedure to be honest. I love to travel and have been all around the world with friends but also by myself, but to be in a hotel room not be able to go outside in the sun and you cannot wear a hat for the first 10 days plus you are watching every step you are taking so you dont bump into something is annoying to say the least. I felt so good when I got home and just lay in my own bed looking all funny from the swelling.

I think a better plan would be to go 2 weeks before the transplant to enjoy Valencia then do the hair transplant and stay a week extra for precaution. 

Edited by digi23
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m staying for 4 days, the first 3 days are the most crucial. 

Same i did, get 1st washing head by clinic 3rd day after surgery, what was my main plan, and then go back, 2 days spent before HT in sightseeing city, tasting local food, shoping, etc. , then surgery, and 3rd day after surgery 1st washing head, then fligh back home, so think 4 days is enough, else someone wants like me 2 days more before HT in sighseeing city.

And 72h is time when grafts usual applied - lodged enough that we can safely walk around, sure we still need care about it, but after 72h less bleeding etc.

• Like 1

On my 2nd one I left the day after but was within driving distance if any complication arose.

For my 1st one I stayed at the Drs. home for about three weeks. Once they found me there, I had to leave though.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

8 hours ago, digi23 said:

The real answer is everyone is different. 

For me personally I want to leave as fast as possible, I left 2 days after the procedure, I wish I would have left the day after the procedure to be honest. I love to travel and have been all around the world with friends but also by myself, but to be in a hotel room not be able to go outside in the sun and you cannot wear a hat for the first 10 days plus you are watching every step you are taking so you dont bump into something is annoying to say the least. I felt so good when I got home and just lay in my own bed looking all funny from the swelling.

I think a better plan would be to go 2 weeks before the transplant to enjoy Valencia then do the hair transplant and stay a week extra for precaution. 

Can't you still wear a hood or some sort of loose fitting cap prior to 10 days? I figure the downtime would be like 3-5 days after which I could probably explore a bit and try out some local restaurants and do other activities that aren't particular risky. I'll probably stay a week minimum afterward. I prefer to keep my days after the transplant just so I have more time to recover but with my situation (indefinite WFH, 30 vacation days, never taken a sick day in my life), I could probably just stay there until they have to deport me. Man, planning an international trip is tough with how many options there are...

Edited by deeznuts

2 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Can't you still wear a hood or some sort of loose fitting cap prior to 10 days? I figure the downtime would be like 3-5 days after which I could probably explore a bit and try out some local restaurants and do other activities that aren't particular risky. I'll probably stay a week minimum afterward. I prefer to keep my days after the transplant just so I have more time to recover but with my situation (indefinite WFH, 30 vacation days, never taken a sick day in my life), I could probably just stay there until they have to deport me. Man, planning an international trip is tough with how many options there are...

Well you are not feeling a 100% after surgery. The first 5 days you just want to chill and recover. Day 6-7 I felt pretty well again, the swelling had gone down and I looked pretty normal again. 

Valencia in May is really sunny, if youd like you can probably put something over the head but I was cautious doing so specially when you pay big money for something lifechanging you dont want to risk it.

I agree with the idea of allocating more vacation time to before your transplant. By day 5-7 you should be feeling fine, but to me there's just caution around wearing something over your head for extended periods of time following the surgery. When I flew home, I traveled for like 9 hours wearing a surgical cap and I would take off the cap every 1-2 hours so sweat doesn't build up on my transplanted hairs. It was kind of inconvenient.

• Administrators

When’s your surgery? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

When’s your surgery? 

I think the 15th-20th. I don't remember the specific date off hand. I'm kinda considering postponing it a bit since I considering doing topical dut for a bit

Im booked with De Freitas too, but just in January 2023. I'm planning to stay around a week, from which 2-3 days before the surgery because I have never been in Valencia before. I looked into Airbnbs and there are plenty of them around the clinic. I think Airbnb will get you a better price if you're not planning on going alone and will bring you more quiet and peace.

I can not wait to see your post-op updates, please create a topic after your operation.

Edited by Fabulous