Dr. Bruno Pinto - 2025 grafts - Nov. 18th

JDEE0

Definitely no need to lower your hairline at 6.5cm. Looking at the original photos you appear to have a much larger forehead compared to your recently posted photo. 

Regarding the debate over asymmetrical hairlines (I have also read discussions in other threads). I feel this will come up when I go for surgery. There is a strong correlation between how we perceive attractiveness and its relationship to symmetry. The fact that we all have an asymmetry to a greater or lesser extent also reflects the range of attractiveness in the population.

The good thing about surgery is .... if we are born with a wonky nose we can get it straightened. Some people may say 'you are born with that nose, it fits your face', I disagree☺️

So back to hairlines, if a surgeon builds in asymmetry by design we could be setting ourselves up for a problem. What if the implanted grafts don't grow uniformly? In fact, we should not expect them not to grow uniformly. Mother nature doesn't follow our rule book. If the surgeon builds in an imbalance and the side that he has weakened also doesn't have such good growth (a 50/50 chance), we have a problem.

It's an interesting discussion.

43 minutes ago, AA1989 said:

Definitely no need to lower your hairline at 6.5cm. Looking at the original photos you appear to have a much larger forehead compared to your recently posted photo. 

Regarding the debate over asymmetrical hairlines (I have also read discussions in other threads). I feel this will come up when I go for surgery. There is a strong correlation between how we perceive attractiveness and its relationship to symmetry. The fact that we all have an asymmetry to a greater or lesser extent also reflects the range of attractiveness in the population.

The good thing about surgery is .... if we are born with a wonky nose we can get it straightened. Some people may say 'you are born with that nose, it fits your face', I disagree☺️

So back to hairlines, if a surgeon builds in asymmetry by design we could be setting ourselves up for a problem. What if the implanted grafts don't grow uniformly? In fact, we should not expect them not to grow uniformly. Mother nature doesn't follow our rule book. If the surgeon builds in an imbalance and the side that he has weakened also doesn't have such good growth (a 50/50 chance), we have a problem.

It's an interesting discussion.

Can you do me a favour and go to the front page of my thread and click on one of the pre-op photos and tell me if they're messed up? They are distorted on my screen and are stretching my head lengthways which makes it look humongous until you click on the actual photo itself and it goes back to normal dimensions/size when it takes you to the imgur hosting site; is that why it looks much larger? I need to fix the pics.

Well, it depends, Dr. pinto measured loads of stuff around my head and temporal points and realised that my right temple is just naturally set further back by 1.5mm than the left, so he 'respected' nature so to speak. But, I do agree 100% that sometimes nature doesn't necessarily give you the best look to begin with and it can be improved on - a part of me thinks it's just a bit of an excuse of sorts for surgeons to placate people into slightly more conservative designs to leave more grafts in the bank, but who knows. 

Either way, I'm with you, and I would say push more for what you want as long as its reasonable, even if it's not exactly how nature intended, as it will probably nag at you if not.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

Just now, AA1989 said:

When you click on the photo it's all good, you get a much more accurate view of your forehead .... I was booking you in for forehead reduction surgery😄

Hahah that is funny, my apologies, I didn't realise the pics were all messed up making me look like a real life easter island moai statue. I'll try and get them fixed now

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JC71 said:

@JDEE0Yeh it does the same for me when I’m looking 🤔

Yeah it happened when I initially uploaded them and then Dr. Pinto's patient advisor figured it out - I've given him a shout to ask what he did to fix it last time around as its happened again. Thanks for letting me know!

Edit to avoid confusion for anyone reading this in the future, the pictures are now fixed and displaying normally.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

We were originally planning for 2400 grafts, but Dr. Pinto said that my head was a bit smaller than he anticipated haha, also, he designed the right side of the hairline a little more recessed than the left due to my natural asymmetry (which was always the case to be fair) and because the frontal muscle was thicker and higher up on that side apparently.

The height from the tip of my forelock to the green line is about 6cm and to the blue line, just under 6.5cm, maybe 6.3cm. The corners of my hairline are just under 7cm to the same point. So yeah, it is kind of conservative in that I didn't use 3000 grafts to lower it more towards a flatter NW1 style and just went with a solid NW2, but it's still fairly low down overall being essentially between 6-7cm in height across the whole hairline.

To answer your question, I'm overall happy with the height of my central hairline and the left side (any lower than 6-6.5cm as the central point of your hairline is just greedy and a waste of grafts when you're young and have MPB imo), but a part of me wishes I asked for the right side to be a bit more in line with the left height-wise as I know I would just much prefer it. To be honest, I'm already thinking I'll probably go back and get the right side brought down very slightly and a little flatter and also re-build the temple point on the right side a little bit. my left temple point is fine, but the right is set back a little more naturally and isn't squared off properly. Will probably only be like 600 grafts in total, but if I do, I'll wait 2-3 years most likely.

Here's a pic of the height:

IMG_5164.jpg

You're reasoning not only when it comes to this but in general makes very much sense and you have a very sober way of thinking. When I look back on my 27 year old self I was kinda obsessed with getting the straighter NW1 hairline. I'm glad I came to realise the risks with that kind of correction as I age. Not only in terms of running out of donor as I might have a bigger area to play catch up with but also in terms of estethics. A NW2 hairline will always look solid no matter how old you are. In my opinion much more so than a NW1 hairline.

It's also interesting - at my surgery the right side was also created a tad bit higher than the left. I pointed it out and gently asked for it to be more symmetric, but the doctor insisted. In that situation I felt like I had to put my trust in the clinic's competence and experience. You can clearly see the difference in my pictures taken from in front of me, even if it's very subtle. I'm sure it's gonna be fine though and I hope it won't bother me.

We also have the same distance between the glabella and the hairline!

Looking forward to follow the upcoming hair journey.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ConnorCrosby said:

You're reasoning not only when it comes to this but in general makes very much sense and you have a very sober way of thinking. When I look back on my 27 year old self I was kinda obsessed with getting the straighter NW1 hairline. I'm glad I came to realise the risks with that kind of correction as I age. Not only in terms of running out of donor as I might have a bigger area to play catch up with but also in terms of estethics. A NW2 hairline will always look solid no matter how old you are. In my opinion much more so than a NW1 hairline.

It's also interesting - at my surgery the right side was also created a tad bit higher than the left. I pointed it out and gently asked for it to be more symmetric, but the doctor insisted. In that situation I felt like I had to put my trust in the clinic's competence and experience. You can clearly see the difference in my pictures taken from in front of me, even if it's very subtle. I'm sure it's gonna be fine though and I hope it won't bother me.

We also have the same distance between the glabella and the hairline!

Looking forward to follow the upcoming hair journey.

I think deep down we would all, or at least the majority of us, go for the straight flat across NW1 hairline if it were feasible haha, even if people do try and rationalise the opposite by saying that it looks silly as people get old etc. I mean, on some people of course it will, but there are lots of examples of this not being true also.

Either way, like you say, a NW2 is just fine and suits pretty much anyone out of their teen years and looks especially regular and expected once you start getting beyond the late 20's/early 30's - it even kind of becomes the equivalent of a NW1 on a younger person in some ways as you get older and older and so many people in your peer group are balding pretty heavily. I never really had that low and straight of a hairline anyway, and it didn't bother me back when I was younger and had no concept of something like the NW scale, so I feel like it's a bit irrational to suddenly get all hung up on it now, and I've accepted my dreams of being Phil Leotardo aint happening!

I think your hairline design is spot on, looks great, I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with it once its all grown out in 8-10 months time, as will I most likely. It's pretty hard to compare the post op hairline to what it will actually look like when its actually a grown out head of hair and I'm sure once it is it will be fine. And you too mate, looking forward to seeing how you get on in the next month!

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, JC71 said:

Thanks 🙏 

Forgot to add a pic, sorry it's pretty bad quality... it's hard to take a photo of the donor in focus when you don't use the flash and after about 10 attempts I gave up and just used this one. I'll upload some better ones in the future and get some sort of selfie stick or something to help me do it easier, but for now it still shows generally how my hair looks about 2 weeks after a fade as shown in previous pics of my donor:IMG_5321.jpg.559c9f83aa222c50c29075922893d82e.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JC71 said:

From that pic it doesn’t look like a single graft has been taken 👍🏽

Yeah, I really can't tell the difference in the mirror, even when its a 0.5-1 guard, I have to take pictures and zoom in to see any discrepancies. I guess I'm lucky in this aspect as my density was up to and over 100 grafts cm/2 around the occipital (depending on the exact area), but it is evened out by my fine hair calibre and lower density of 60-70 above the ears, so overall my donor is just decent rather than amazing.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

Managed to take some better pics - hair is a little bit wet as I just washed it and got out of the shower right before I took them, and I'm sat with the main light in my room on which is above me but not directly.

IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Much better pics, still no evidence of a FUE 🤣 Your pretty future proofed 🤞

Haha, thanks John - I'll keep on munching my fin anyways to stave off the need for as long as I can!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:46 PM, JDEE0 said:

Managed to take some better pics - hair is a little bit wet as I just washed it and got out of the shower right before I took them, and I'm sat with the main light in my room on which is above me but not directly.

IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

Looking really really clean 👍

Just wanted to ask.

How long did you have to wait to get a response to your assessment form and images?

Also when is the earliest you are allowed to cut your hair/wear a cap?

1 hour ago, Min12 said:

Looking really really clean 👍

Just wanted to ask.

How long did you have to wait to get a response to your assessment form and images?

Also when is the earliest you are allowed to cut your hair/wear a cap?

Thanks man.

I think it was only a number of days to a week or so after I responded back to their automated e-mail that said they weren't taking consultations, I know for sure the clinic are super busy and booked up, but you should still get a reply fairly quick.

I was told I can shave my donor area with clippers at month 1, not sure about the recipient exactly as I can't remember, but it was a number of months as opposed to just the one. 

Hats were allowed (carefully, loosely and sparingly) at day 5 I think, but I wore one at day 3 to travel home and had no issues.

Just a quick update (last one before 3 months) at 8.5 weeks to demonstrate how things might look when hairs just begin to sprout and how this looks over the course of a few weeks... I see a lot of reviews with monthly updates where a lot has happened say between month 2 and 3, or 3 and 4, so maybe someone will find a glimpse of the in-between useful.

Pictures are similar to previous ones posted (to be honest I forgot I posted a similar comparison last week at my 8 week update and have just realised looking back at my thread, but a bit more time has passed to show a little more of a difference in any case so I'll just leave up as my final posting before 3 months). First is 2 weeks ago exactly I believe, and the second is today:

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5857.PNG

Edited by JDEE0

37 minutes ago, shadowcast said:

Looks like you're on track! How long did you wait between submitting your consultation form/photos and hearing back from Dr. Pinto with an assessment?

Thanks! someone else actually just asked the same question above, but in short, it was only a few days to hear back from the patient advisor initially, and then I think it was around a week or so (maybe 10 days) to hear back and be told that I am suitable candidate for surgery after my case had been passed over to Dr. Pinto directly to look at.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Bosch said:

Definitely some new hairs sprouting.  Looks like the 💥 is right around the corner.  Have you been in regular communication with the clinic?

Thanks for the encouragement mate - things are definitely heading in the right direction, we shall see if it continues to pop in the coming weeks!

Yeah I have been, well, kind of.Everything has gone very smoothly and I've had no issues/I already knew everything that was coming my way, so I've not really had much to ask of the clinic as a result to be honest. I'm mostly just in contact to give periodic updates of my progress to the doc and then I also send them to Emilio the patient advisor sometimes too as he is always there to answer any questions and is always interested in what's going on as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a hair cut yesterday at exactly 10 weeks post-op and thought I'd post an update for the the donor mainly, as I believe it to be completely healed now and I don't think it's going to look any different in 6 months or a years time from now really.

Hopefully helps to document and show how very short hairstyles can (everyone is different, so it's not to be taken as you will look the same, could be better, could be worse, but still) look after FUE when done with an appropriately sized punch in the hands of a good doc.

Also added a couple of pics of the recipient (left side only) as I may as well since I'm already giving an update.

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

IMG_7075.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg

• Administrators

Donor has healed very well 👌

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

I had a hair cut yesterday at exactly 10 weeks post-op and thought I'd post an update for the the donor mainly, as I believe it to be completely healed now and I don't think it's going to look any different in 6 months or a years time from now really.

Hopefully helps to document and show how very short hairstyles can (everyone is different, so it's not to be taken as you will look the same, could be better, could be worse, but still) look after FUE when done with an appropriately sized punch in the hands of a good doc.

Also added a couple of pics of the recipient (left side only) as I may as well since I'm already giving an update.

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

IMG_7075.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg

Looks good, will be fun to see your result! :)