Would 1000 be enough?

I had a consult last week for one more HT.   There's not much left in my donor area but my dr said he can get 200-300 more from there,    and another 800 from beard.   1000 total.   

Would 500 from the beard make a real difference if I place them in my crown area and then place the rest in the frontal area?     Because my dr suggests just putting it all in the front.  

I'm running out of options... And this may be my last HT.   Here's a Pic...20211026_155638.thumb.jpg.011bb2a6fa1fc56444d1dfa5d4e98cb3.jpg   

Edited by Etownone

30 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I bet other doctors could get more. 

It would be best to get more opinions and see how much can be harvested by FUE.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 hours ago, Curious25 said:

I bet other doctors could get more. 

My donor is pretty depleted...   Some spots are even over harvested and it's noticible.   I've had 2 FUT, and 3 FUEs done,    over 10k grafts.    I thought I was good but I had a setback and lost some more hair.  

• Administrators

The doctor is suggesting to place beard hair in the front?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The doctor is suggesting to place beard hair in the front?

He suggests placing the 200-300 grafts from the back to the very front area,  and then the beard hair mixed in the frontal area for more density.   This dr is Dr Dorin in nyc.   

5 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Can you post pics of your donor please, and provide more info around your history of Ht’s 

Here are some pics of my donor area.  

I never got a fade again.  Maybe after seeing how SMP worked for some guys, like Mustang, I might do that later this year.   

Screenshot_20211026-222713_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-223016_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-222815_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-222738_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-222726_Gallery.jpg

50 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

just get smp improve density.

Better solution

I will...  But that frontal area is weak, so if I can do another HT,  I should.    I wouldn't put smp anywhere near my Hairline.  

Screenshot_20211027-071630_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Etownone

11 hours ago, Etownone said:

He suggests placing the 200-300 grafts from the back to the very front area,  and then the beard hair mixed in the frontal area for more density.   This dr is Dr Dorin in nyc.   

I had Dr. Dorin in high regards but if he’s suggesting to implant beard grafts in the frontal hairline it can only be because he’s not used to implanting beard grafts as these should absolutely not be implanted in the front and must always be mixed with scalp grafts. 
If you want to add density with beard grafts I advise you to speak with Eugenix, HLC or Dr. Pekiner as these are the most experienced with BHT. 

Edited by Portugal25

4 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

I had Dr. Dorin in high regards but if he’s suggesting to implant beard grafts in the frontal hairline it can only be because he’s not used to implanting beard grafts as these should absolutely not be implanted in the front and must always be mixed with scalp grafts. 
If you want to add density with beard grafts I advise you to speak with Eugenix, HLC or Dr. Pekiner as these are the most experienced with BHT. 

He's suggesting place the 200-300 grafts he can get from the scalp to the very front,   and then add beard grafts mixed in the frontal area right behind the Hairline to add more density.   

Dr Dorin is local for me...  I've used him before for FUTs before.  And he does have experience with BHT.    

31 minutes ago, Etownone said:

He's suggesting place the 200-300 grafts he can get from the scalp to the very front,   and then add beard grafts mixed in the frontal area right behind the Hairline to add more density.   

Dr Dorin is local for me...  I've used him before for FUTs before.  And he does have experience with BHT.    

I haven’t seen 1 patient report showcasing a BHT result from Dr. Dorin while Eugenix, HLC and Pekiner all have patients posting BHT with over 2000 beard grafts implanted in one session. 
Any Doctor that recommends implanting beard grafts in the frontal hairline would be immediately crossed out from my list but that’s just my personal opinion.

I also have two amazing local Doctors (Bruno Pinto and Bruno Ferreira) but I chose to travel thousands of miles to Dr. Pekiner who has extensive experience in BHT so I could get 1888 beard grafts implanted in one session. 

@Melvin- Moderator will also be traveling thousands of miles from the US to Eugenix also because he wants the best at BHT.

Edited by Portugal25

1 hour ago, Portugal25 said:

I haven’t seen 1 patient report showcasing a BHT result from Dr. Dorin while Eugenix, HLC and Pekiner all have patients posting BHT with over 2000 beard grafts implanted in one session. 
Any Doctor that recommends implanting beard grafts in the frontal hairline would be immediately crossed out from my list but that’s just my personal opinion.

I also have two amazing local Doctors (Bruno Pinto and Bruno Ferreira) but I chose to travel thousands of miles to Dr. Pekiner who has extensive experience in BHT so I could get 1888 beard grafts implanted in one session. 

@Melvin- Moderator will also be traveling thousands of miles from the US to Eugenix also because he wants the best at BHT.

When I was at Dr Dorin's office they showed me a bunch of pics... The before, right after surgery, and result pics.    And inquiring about BHT in these forums I came across one guy that had a BHT of 2378 grafts performed by Dr Dorin.  He seems pretty satisfied... And judging by his pics, it looks like zero scarring in the beard area. 

Dr Dorin isn't suggesting to put beard grafts on my Hairline,  he is suggesting to uss them in the frontal region behind the Hairline.  The forelock area like in the Pic I've attached.     Whatever grafts he can get from my donor area, 200-300,  he will use those for the Hairline. 

In the past,  I didn't mind traveling for a ht,   I had gone to Mexico for 3 FUE surgeries with Dr. Nader...  He is great.      But this time I'm trying to stay local since it seems it's going to be a small surgery

10-1.jpg

SMP your donor, 

Look into docs who are willing to extract more scalp grafts , and prioritise these for strengthening your forelock and hairline areas. 

Beard grafts can be used to strengthen your midscalp and vertex area (mixed in with some scalp grafts, and potentially SMP also) . . or to help strengthen your donor. 

I would aim for 600-1000 more scalp grafts, 1500-2000 BHT grafts. 

This may of course be unachievable, but from the little I can make of your pics, I have seen cases similar from photos, that have been able to do something similar. 

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

SMP your donor, 

Look into docs who are willing to extract more scalp grafts , and prioritise these for strengthening your forelock and hairline areas. 

Beard grafts can be used to strengthen your midscalp and vertex area (mixed in with some scalp grafts, and potentially SMP also) . . or to help strengthen your donor. 

I would aim for 600-1000 more scalp grafts, 1500-2000 BHT grafts. 

This may of course be unachievable, but from the little I can make of your pics, I have seen cases similar from photos, that have been able to do something similar. 

Thanks man..     That would be ideal if I could get another 1000 from scalp,   but I doubt it.     In the pics my scalp looks more dense then in reality.    My lateral humps cant take another hit.   And donor area has so many scars from fue...  One side is over harvested.    Thats why I was surprised when the Dr said he could get another 200-300.    

I need to get another opinion...   But it needs to be in person.  I'll see if I can find another Dr in the NY area to give me a second option. 

Based on your pics, your hair has above average texture and quality even though there are thin areas…yet your frontal zone already has good visual density with a few small spots to fill in…so obviously those spots are where the scalp donor grafts would be placed and IMHO, it will look nice and natural when the regrowth is completed.

But every case is different depending on each individual’s hair characteristics, extent of loss, available donor, etc.

My point for you is that you have the right type of hair characteristics for what is being proposed by Dr. Dorin…I think the beard donor is going to blend nicely because of the more coarse and slightly wave of the existing hair that you already have…IF the existing hair was of thin caliber and low density, no wave, I would feel totally different.

And I respect the fact that Dr. Dorin is being mindful of your donor limitations and I agree with you in not wanting to over-deplete your scalp donor because it is already thin and it is critical to take all of these factors into consideration. 

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

4 hours ago, gillenator said:

Based on your pics, your hair has above average texture and quality even though there are thin areas…yet your frontal zone already has good visual density with a few small spots to fill in…so obviously those spots are where the scalp donor grafts would be placed and IMHO, it will look nice and natural when the regrowth is completed.

But every case is different depending on each individual’s hair characteristics, extent of loss, available donor, etc.

My point for you is that you have the right type of hair characteristics for what is being proposed by Dr. Dorin…I think the beard donor is going to blend nicely because of the more coarse and slightly wave of the existing hair that you already have…IF the existing hair was of thin caliber and low density, no wave, I would feel totally different.

And I respect the fact that Dr. Dorin is being mindful of your donor limitations and I agree with you in not wanting to over-deplete your scalp donor because it is already thin and it is critical to take all of these factors into consideration. 

Thanks....   I feel Dr Dorin won't steer me wrong,   yet Im going to try and get another in person consultation with another Dr....   And one online consult with Dr Mwamba,    even though I feel it's extremely hard for a Dr to give an accurate assessment of my hair without seeing it in person.   

In the end...   I can see myself booking with Dr Dorin,  1000 grafts for $8500...     Which I know is a lot.   

• Moderators
On 10/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, Portugal25 said:

Dr Dorin has been doing BHT since around 2012 when almost nobody was doing it yet. I had my first BHT transplant with him in 2014. As for transplanting body grafts near the hairline, I had some beard and chest grafts placed just behind my hairline with no issues. I'm attaching a picture I took several days after the procedure. The 2nd picture was taken a minute later with my hair combed. Since I wasn't required to shave my head I was able to go back to work about a week after the procedure without anyone knowing I had anything done.

2050434903_ScreenShot2021-10-29at10_41_01AM.jpg.c30c86e2fabfa53d845f22713f8b509b.jpg

952998618_ScreenShot2021-10-29at10_45_54AM.png.438cb3d9ba6cc50291f139e367e4d46c.png

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Dr. Dorin is more than qualified to do BHT. Initially, I thought you meant he’d place bht in the front, which is a big no-no. But 200 scalp grafts in the front sounds like a good plan.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 10/27/2021 at 5:49 AM, Portugal25 said:

On 10/27/2021 at 6:25 AM, Portugal25 said:

So I get it, in Turkey the only two clinics that do BHT AND reputable are HLC and Pekiner ? I definitely need BHT after Asli Tarcan depleted my donor area.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Dr Dorin has been doing BHT since around 2012 when almost nobody was doing it yet. I had my first BHT transplant with him in 2014. As for transplanting body grafts near the hairline, I had some beard and chest grafts placed just behind my hairline with no issues. I'm attaching a picture I took several days after the procedure. The 2nd picture was taken a minute later with my hair combed. Since I wasn't required to shave my head I was able to go back to work about a week after the procedure without anyone knowing I had anything done.

2050434903_ScreenShot2021-10-29at10_41_01AM.jpg.c30c86e2fabfa53d845f22713f8b509b.jpg

952998618_ScreenShot2021-10-29at10_45_54AM.png.438cb3d9ba6cc50291f139e367e4d46c.png

Man I feel like you can look amazing with some toppik.

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

I would seriously consider having SMP in your donor area by a good qualified SMP artist (not a hair transplant surgeon as many do offer SMP these days). Looking at your donor I think it will balance out any density issues and the less dense hair on the top will look more natural. To me it's all about aesthetics. I applaud your shoice of consulting with Dr Mawamba about the use of beard grafts. I'd also consider consulting with Eugenix also. Wishing you all the best.

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I would seriously consider having SMP in your donor area by a good qualified SMP artist (not a hair transplant surgeon as many do offer SMP these days). Looking at your donor I think it will balance out any density issues and the less dense hair on the top will look more natural. To me it's all about aesthetics. I applaud your shoice of consulting with Dr Mawamba about the use of beard grafts. I'd also consider consulting with Eugenix also. Wishing you all the best.

I keep hearing about Eugenix,  but that is overseas for me...  Mwamba works here in the states 2 weeks every month.   

I have consoled with smp artists in the past but never went past that....  Lately,  I've been seeing some great results, in these forums, with smp in the donor area,  so I'm definitely planning on doing. 

When doing smp...  Some artists take approach in bigger dots when going for that more density look on a person with longer hair, and others use really tiny dots when the person has a fade.  I would assume tiny dots is better and gives option to keep hair long or short.