Would I be a good FUE candidate?

WhatComesNext

Hi guys,

Like many of you I am here because I am at an inflection point where I have just decided to pursue FUE. I booked some online consultations, but thought it might be a good idea to crowd source an opinion.

I am 32 and first noticed hairloss around 24. The balding on the crown has increased considerably over the past 2 years. The hair on the sides is thinning a little. Due to my hair's natural properties I can still use the cow lick to create the illusion of fullness up front, but even that will be gone soon. The back of my head has very thick hair that grows fast.

I began taking Fin a few months ago but couldn't quite integrate it with my routine. I started taking it again yesterday - will aim for 1mg for 6 more days, then taper off to .3-.4 mg a day. If this dosage seems off I am open to suggestions. 

I start a new job April 1st in a new city. Fingers crossed I can begin with a new hairline (or at least 4 or 5 months on the road to one). I feel like it is now or never.

I know pictures don't tell the full story, but from what you see below, am I a good candidate for FUE?

20210929_123852.thumb.jpg.82ed7d776ce4759ff0830dcf80b46a1a.jpg20210929_123814.thumb.jpg.aec1d553135a6af1ff4b5dc00af7befa.jpg20210929_123803.thumb.jpg.f67108eeff18cc0b0f70bcad057fceb8.jpg20210929_123741.thumb.jpg.24435672dc938bd6641e9a7c8c67e9eb.jpg

Edited by WhatComesNext

You're definitely a candidate for FUE. But an FUT would probably be better since as @JohnAC71mentioned, you can get more lifetime grafts that route. Many people are leery of the FUT linear scar. But if you go to a highly skilled surgeon, that scar is basically invisible. @Dr Blake Bloxhamdoes excellent work and his FUT scars are basically invisible. I would definitely consult with him

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Just now, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

You're definitely a candidate for FUE. But an FUT would probably be better since as @JohnAC71mentioned, you can get more lifetime grafts that route. Many people are leery of the FUT linear scar. But if you go to a highly skilled surgeon, that scar is basically invisible. @Dr Blake Bloxhamdoes excellent work and his FUT scars are basically invisible. I would definitely consult with him

Exactly this ! And yes Dr Bloxham is doing really good work. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

My big concern with FUT is my laxity is below average. I know there are excersizes for this, and I am starting to do them just incase. I am also concerned about the restricted bloodflow for the hair just above the scar line.

I had a similar hair loss pattern as you, and have a similar hair type.  You could go with FUE or FUT honestly.  FUT if you want to maximize scalp grafts and preserve donor density.  FUE if you want to avoid the linear scar, wear hair at 0-2 guard, minimize healing time, and/or use body hair.  I chose an FUT with H&W a few years back.   It turned out very well, scar is totally undetectable at 3 guard, and I would do it again.  Hair type matters with FUT because sometimes hair direction changes a bit at the scar.  If you have very straight hair then the change of direction can look unnatural.  But with a good surgeon and your hair characteristics that won't be a problem at all.   My thread is here if you are interested.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaceman said:

I had a similar hair loss pattern as you, and have a similar hair type.  You could go with FUE or FUT honestly.  FUT if you want to maximize scalp grafts and preserve donor density.  FUE if you want to avoid the linear scar, wear hair at 0-2 guard, minimize healing time, and/or use body hair.  I chose an FUT with H&W a few years back.   It turned out very well, scar is totally undetectable at 3 guard, and I would do it again.  Hair type matters with FUT because sometimes hair direction changes a bit at the scar.  If you have very straight hair then the change of direction can look unnatural.  But with a good surgeon and your hair characteristics that won't be a problem at all.   My thread is here if you are interested.  

Wow. Took a look at your progress. Incredible. Too bad H&W is booked through April next year and I start a new job April 1st, or I'd go with them in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Looks like you have some good options as mentioned in the comments.  I looked similar to you and had over 7,000 grafts, all FUE.  I had no interest in the linear FUT scar although I'm sure the process has improved regarding scar visibility.  I've never taken any meds for hair loss.  Best of luck to you! 

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would look through all of the forums results for Eugenix, just put Eugenix in the search bar. Every single clinic has the not so good reviews. Some people you could Pm direct would be @GaryS@MazAB@Zoomster@Fluffhead@Wandererind

Even our moderater has chosen them @Melvin- Moderator! And I’m not going to be too far behind. Same for @Gatsby

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I would look through all of the forums results for Eugenix, just put Eugenix in the search bar. Every single clinic has the not so good reviews. Some people you could Pm direct would be @GaryS@MazAB@Zoomster@Fluffhead@Wandererind

Even our moderater has chosen them @Melvin- Moderator! And I’m not going to be too far behind. Same for @Gatsby

Thanks - I'll reach out. I'm essentially at the point that I'm putting down a deposit for Oct 18th/19th, so it is all happening very quickly. Going through some "am I actually doing this?" moments.

A huge thanks for the advice and insight you've provided so far.

• Like 2

Just now, WhatComesNext said:

Thanks - I'll reach out. I'm essentially at the point that I'm putting down a deposit for Oct 18th/19th, so it is all happening very quickly. Going through some "am I actually doing this?" moments.

A huge thanks for the advice and insight you've provided so far.

We all get that feeling 😊 Which package did you choose ? 

I'm going with the Premium Package with Dr. Arika. Feel like the extra involvement from her is worth it. Treating it like an investment, really.

Oh for sure 👍🏽 They do amazing work, I will look forward to seeing yours 🤩

54 minutes ago, WhatComesNext said:

I am close to putting a deposit down on Eugenix but have come across some bad reviews. Would anyone who has gone through a Eugenix procedure be available to msg directly?

Every clinic has some not so great results - however there is a difference between underwhelming results and bad surgery. 

Underwhelming results are usually related to a poor yield, and/or potentially a mis calculation of grafts required. Assuming there are no physiological issues with the patient, an underwhelming result can be rectified, and isn’t the end of the world. In an underwhelming result - the donor should still be in good shape, the hairline design and graft distribution should be correct, and the clinic should do their upmost to bring the patient up to speed with a satisfactory end result. 

Bad surgery could be all, or a combination of the following things; 

botched donor, 

poor growth, 

poor hairline design, 

poor choice of graft distribution, 

scarring, 

No patient support or follow up, 

Etc. 

Hopefullt you get the picture, to help you understand the bad reviews you may be finding a little more. 

I always maintain, a clinic or surgeon is only as good as their poorest results - and how they handle them. 

Just now, Curious25 said:

Every clinic has some not so great results - however there is a difference between underwhelming results and bad surgery. 

Underwhelming results are usually related to a poor yield, and/or potentially a mis calculation of grafts required. Assuming there are no physiological issues with the patient, an underwhelming result can be rectified, and isn’t the end of the world. In an underwhelming result - the donor should still be in good shape, the hairline design and graft distribution should be correct, and the clinic should do their upmost to bring the patient up to speed with a satisfactory end result. 

Bad surgery could be all, or a combination of the following things; 

botched donor, 

poor growth, 

poor hairline design, 

poor choice of graft distribution, 

scarring, 

No patient support or follow up, 

Etc. 

Hopefullt you get the picture, to help you understand the bad reviews you may be finding a little more. 

I always maintain, a clinic or surgeon is only as good as their poorest results - and how they handle them. 

Thank you for the insight. Have you had any experience with Eugenix?

Thank you for the insight. Have you had any experience with Eugenix?

Not personally , but I have seen some nice results showcased on here over the last few years, have watched a lot of the doctors videos and Instagram lives, and they seem professional and passionate about what they do.

I would only ever consider the highest costing package with them, however. 

Just now, Curious25 said:

Not personally , but I have seen some nice results showcased on here over the last few years, have watched a lot of the doctors videos and Instagram lives, and they seem professional and passionate about what they do.

I would only ever consider the highest costing package with them, however. 

Fair enough. The difference between the Premium and Super Premium doesn't seem huge, though there obviously is a difference. Same amount of direct implants from the Surgeon (up to 300 to 400) which I'm assuming is along the hairline.

7 minutes ago, WhatComesNext said:

Fair enough. The difference between the Premium and Super Premium doesn't seem huge, though there obviously is a difference. Same amount of direct implants from the Surgeon (up to 300 to 400) which I'm assuming is along the hairline.

I’ve no idea what the packages are, I have never looked into them, what I meant, was that I would only ever choose the package with the doctors full involvement the whole way through. 

Out of interest, what strategy have the proposed for your case, and what number of grafts have they quoted you to carry it out ? 

2 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I’ve no idea what the packages are, I have never looked into them, what I meant, was that I would only ever choose the package with the doctors full involvement the whole way through. 

Out of interest, what strategy have the proposed for your case, and what number of grafts have they quoted you to carry it out ? 

3900 to 4500 grafts. They think the donor area on scalp looks great, but if after the in person examination there isn't enough to harvest, they'll go with 1000 from the beard and max 2500 from the scalp. 

Scenario A: They think that with my donor characteristics (as far as they can tell via photo/video) they can achieve an improved hairline and full coverage of crown.

Scenario B: If A is not possible due to insufficient donor hair, they will rebuild the hairline and work backward, and still think it will be a significant cosmetic improvement.

• Like 3

That crown area is so difficult to cover.  Good luck with that and your decision going forward.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.