I'm Getting Another Surgery *UPDATE

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Adam7463 said:

@Melvin- Moderator Where do you find 15% minoxidil? 

Minoxidil max

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:40 AM, BeHappy said:

Congratulations on getting married. I didn't know you were engaged. You have plenty of beard hair to use and since you have a thin base of scalp transplanted hair on your crown, it should all blend in together very nicely. Transplanted beard hair starts growing out a bit more kinky than scalp transplanted hair, but it eventually softens up a lot. It just takes a bit longer. Scalp transplanted hair takes maybe 18 months to really get that softness back, but beard hair will take another 6 months to a year longer to get to the same level. Good luck with both the marriage and the next hair transplant!

Hey man. Was wondering if I could ask you to expound on the beard hair softening up. I wasn’t aware of this, but this is great to hear if so. I was under the assumption that they retain native characteristics as on the face, but still blend well as a filler in the crown. If they soften after a while, that’s amazing. 

Also, separately - Melvin and anybody else - please DM me if you have any questions on the visa process. I was at Eugenix 8/16 - 8/18 and can answer any questions you might have. They are wonderful people and it was a good experience. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 hours ago, track_rat said:

Hey man. Was wondering if I could ask you to expound on the beard hair softening up. I wasn’t aware of this, but this is great to hear if so. I was under the assumption that they retain native characteristics as on the face, but still blend well as a filler in the crown. If they soften after a while, that’s amazing. 

Also, separately - Melvin and anybody else - please DM me if you have any questions on the visa process. I was at Eugenix 8/16 - 8/18 and can answer any questions you might have. They are wonderful people and it was a good experience. 

You should start a thread. To be clear, you need a covid test before and after leaving India correct? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You should start a thread. To be clear, you need a covid test before and after leaving India correct? 

Yep! I flew United. United was really a simple process because the app included a checklist of items needed before you are greenlit to fly to India and greenlit to fly back to the states. The app also gives you an option to order your own home test so you can take it with you to India. Bit Eugenix has a guy that comes to the clinic and will swab you there with results back in a few hours. I just went with that option even though I had the home test with me.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:50 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Topical and oral minoxil, nizoral and azaleic acid it's a mild 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.

Isn't topical and oral minox overkill? Per my research and what surgeons have said, shouldn't you stick to one or the other? If not, how has your progress been? Any side effects? Blood work done/etc.? I ask, as I am tempted to do topical minox on my beard for growth.. lol

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, hybonix said:

Isn't topical and oral minox overkill? Per my research and what surgeons have said, shouldn't you stick to one or the other? If not, how has your progress been? Any side effects? Blood work done/etc.? I ask, as I am tempted to do topical minox on my beard for growth.. lol

No sides, to be perfectly honest I’m pretty bad with the pill. I forget to take it all the time. I’d say I take the pill 3-4x per week and topical daily. I’m scheduled for a blood panel, just haven’t had the time to go, hopefully all good.

View my thread

All the best for your up coming HT Melvin and getting married!  Also would like to ask you if you ever took Fin in the past and if so have you seen a difference with the med regime that you do now? Is it just as effective?

Edited by John

On 9/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, BeHappy said:

Congratulations on getting married. I didn't know you were engaged. You have plenty of beard hair to use and since you have a thin base of scalp transplanted hair on your crown, it should all blend in together very nicely. Transplanted beard hair starts growing out a bit more kinky than scalp transplanted hair, but it eventually softens up a lot. It just takes a bit longer. Scalp transplanted hair takes maybe 18 months to really get that softness back, but beard hair will take another 6 months to a year longer to get to the same level. Good luck with both the marriage and the next hair transplant!

Could you go into more detail about the beard hair softening up overtime or if you use a special shampoo or conditioner to help with this, any info would be appreciated

• Moderators
On 10/5/2021 at 1:07 AM, track_rat said:

On 10/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, John said:

Could you go into more detail about the beard hair softening up overtime or if you use a special shampoo or conditioner to help with this, any info would be appreciated

I'm not the only one who has said this about their BHT. It's been mentioned by several people here who used beard grafts. I can tell you for me personally, the hair grows longer and faster than my scalp hair. I've let it grow more than 3 inches before I cut it, but it will probably grow longer than that. It first starts out very kinky and rough, but it eventually softens up after a few hair cuts. It takes between 2 to 3 years to really soften up fully to match my scalp hair.

This is why on @mustang's thread where he discusses purposely depleting the scalp donor and replacing it with body hair, I say it's not the best idea because you are transplanting twice, once taking from the scalp and then taking it from the beard to place it in the original scalp donor area. You can simply take it from the beard in the first place.

There are lots of "after" photos of men who had a lot of body hair and it usually does not look great as you can see it's very kinky and wiry, but you have to understand that the "after" photos are usually taken in the 10 to 12 month post transplant range while it takes another year longer than that to fully straighten and soften, so you don't get the real picture of what it will look like long term. Also if you are using it mixed with scalp hair it will not look anywhere near as bad as only using body hair even after only 10 months.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
On 10/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, John said:

I believe @Zoomsterhas mentioned this as well.

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I'm not the only one who has said this about their BHT. It's been mentioned by several people here who used beard grafts. I can tell you for me personally, the hair grows longer and faster than my scalp hair. I've let it grow more than 3 inches before I cut it, but it will probably grow longer than that. It first starts out very kinky and rough, but it eventually softens up after a few hair cuts. It takes between 2 to 3 years to really soften up fully to match my scalp hair.

This is why on @mustang's thread where he discusses purposely depleting the scalp donor and replacing it with body hair, I say it's not the best idea because you are transplanting twice, once taking from the scalp and then taking it from the beard to place it in the original scalp donor area. You can simply take it from the beard in the first place.

There are lots of "after" photos of men who had a lot of body hair and it usually does not look great as you can see it's very kinky and wiry, but you have to understand that the "after" photos are usually taken in the 10 to 12 month post transplant range while it takes another year longer than that to fully straighten and soften, so you don't get the real picture of what it will look like long term. Also if you are using it mixed with scalp hair it will not look anywhere near as bad as only using body hair even after only 10 months.

It also depends on how kinky your beard hair is, if you can comb your beard, then it’s gonna match really well. This guy’s beard hair really straight, he’s probably straightened it with a blow dryer, but an example of what beard can look like with the right characteristics.
image.jpeg

But if its like this it’ll be tougher 

image.jpeg

View my thread

9 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It also depends on how kinky your beard hair is, if you can comb your beard, then it’s gonna match really well. This guy’s beard hair really straight, he’s probably straightened it with a blow dryer, but an example of what beard can look like with the right characteristics.
image.jpeg

But if its like this it’ll be tougher 

image.jpeg

I would put my beard in the second category 😂 @Melvin- Moderatorwhere would you put yours ? 🤔

Edited by JohnAC71

• Administrators
1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

I would put my beard in the second category 😂 @Melvin- Moderatorwhere spiel you put yours ? 🤔

I’m in between definitely not super straight like the top guy, but straight enough that I can comb it with a regular comb. I did one time blow dry it and straighten it and it looked pretty straight. 

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m in between definitely not super straight like the top guy, but straight enough that I can comb it with a regular comb. I did one time blow dry it and straighten it and it looked pretty straight. 

Mine is quite coarse and unruly, Im hoping that Eugenix will be able to work with it. I’m definitely following your result closely since they will be taking quite a lot of grafts 😊

• Administrators

I’m just mentally preparing myself for no longer having the thickest beard, but it’s okay. Time to redistribute some of the wealth 😂

• Like 1

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m just mentally preparing myself for no longer having the thickest beard, but it’s okay. Time to redistribute some of the wealth 😂

I’m with ya brother! On a side note, I blow dry my hair usually, so maybe that will be a benefit wife those of us who have implanted beard hair and blow dry?

Also, curious what your natural whirl is Melvin? I don’t recall seeing a pic. I thought my double whirl was going to be tough but they made it look beautiful. Your final result is gonna be legendary.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, track_rat said:

I’m with ya brother! On a side note, I blow dry my hair usually, so maybe that will be a benefit wife those of us who have implanted beard hair and blow dry?

Also, curious what your natural whirl is Melvin? I don’t recall seeing a pic. I thought my double whirl was going to be tough but they made it look beautiful. Your final result is gonna be legendary.

My natural whirl is on the left if I recall, I’ve been so bald I don’t know if I have pics where the whirl is still seen lol. 

View my thread