30M NW6(?) wanting HT

Hey all. I want to get a HT but I don't know which doctors I should start consulting with.

I live in the US and would like to get treated in the US or Canada. 

My budget is ~25k USD

I think I am NW6(?), with significant hair loss. I'm not sure if that makes me a better candidate for FUT or not?

My goal is to at least have a hairline.

I've been on 1mg daily Finasteride for 8 months and Minoxidil once daily for 3.25 months.There has been some improvement but nothing crazy.

*Note, in the 2nd picture my hair is wet and my scalp is irritated after microneedling. There is hairloss in the crown, but I'm not sure it dips into the donor area?

PXL_20210801_194056507.jpg

PXL_20210726_060114253.jpg

Can’t really see in that pic if your crown is dropping. Good that your on Fin/Minox already. 
Check out the following: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

Get as much research done as possible and start getting as many consultations done as possible.

If was willing to travel then Eugenix (India) is pretty much doing some of the best high Norwood work anywhere ! 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I would highly suggest FUT first. I would look into Shapiro, Gabel, Cooley, Konior, and Hasson and Wong. Although getting there may prove  difficult if you’re not vaccinated. 

Feel free to submit some consultations

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hasson and Wong would be my pick. Megasessions, FUT, on most people's shortlists of the best doctors in the world, and great prices on FUT. Grafts after 2000 are $3 CAD per graft which is like Turkey prices lol. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Hasson and Wong would be my pick. Megasessions, FUT, on most people's shortlists of the best doctors in the world, and great prices on FUT. Grafts after 2000 are $3 CAD per graft which is like Turkey prices lol. 

They also provide travel accommodations too right? 

2 hours ago, webathon said:

They also provide travel accommodations too right? 

I think so. They do something for out of town people, just not sure what. They have a link on their website but aren't specific as to what those accommodations are

I would suggest FUT for a few rounds and then FUE. Have you consulted with any surgeons? @JohnAC71and @Melvin- Moderatorhave provided a list of extremely skilled and reputable surgeons. Where in the US are you?

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

I think a NW6 is an accurate assessment, and I agree with everyone above who suggests FUT then FUE.  If you are a high norwood you need to do whatever you can to maximize grafts.  FUT + FUE = Max grafts

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

11 hours ago, Westview said:

How do you come to that conclusion if if he hasnt posted any rearside pics??

Yeah, everything he has on top will be gone soon.  The pattern is evident even without knowing how low his lateral humps and crown will go.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Good for you that you're on fin.  It won't turn you into a NW3 but it should stabilize the loss.  Looks like you have healthy donor hair, so you're probably a good candidate for a HT.  Now take your time to do your due diligence in research and consult with elite docs.  

Edited by aaron1234
  • Like 1

If within the US/Canada wouldn't even consider a clinic other than Hasson/Wong and FUT.

Also for the record, at least on available photos I see a fairly clear NW5, not a NW6. High sides and the total area exposed in the crown is relatively small. The overall area exposed is narrow. Typically if someone has lost this much hair there would be a significantly more exposed crown if they were heading for NW6. People don't bald in the vast majority of cases from a NW5 to a NW6, they diffuse in a NW6 pattern visibly from the time they hit NW3-4. 

These are generalisations in terms of exact areas exposed or potential areas for further balding, but NW6 suggests a much worse picture than anything shown in these photos. 

Located in north american + high NW = Hasson and Wong every day of the week (in my opinion).

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 8/14/2021 at 4:36 AM, JayLDD said:

If within the US/Canada wouldn't even consider a clinic other than Hasson/Wong and FUT.

Also for the record, at least on available photos I see a fairly clear NW5, not a NW6.

Totally agree with the H&W nudge.  And paraphrasing the words of Dr. K, "If you're a NW5 now, you'll be NW6 later."  At the end of the day it doesn't matter what NW classification is given.  You have an advanced pattern and will "need" a FUT megasession regardless.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, webathon said:

Still waiting to hear back from consultations.

Did you use our link? 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.