~2200 Graft FUT with Carlos Wesley, NYC, 7/21/21 2nd Surgery 539 grafts, 7/14/22

6 hours ago, Vann said:

I think even if you had the money your best bet would be to wait. You could have some miniaturized hairs that haven’t completely grown out in its density that you could damage. 

better to wait a bit, especially since it’s a life long procedure.

I think OP is making the right choices but is being unmet by his surgeon. Adding another surgeon won’t fix what’s already done and needs to happen.

In all likelihood this is going to fail. What I'm saying is planning ahead so that he can get his surgery one year on the dot once it becomes confirmed that it is a failure. If he wants to put up some money on consult fees then that is a price to pay for wanting to get ahead in this fix that he's going to need. The clock isn't going to strike 12 months for him to confirm it's a botch and then he schedules a consult which might be a few months out then a surgery which could be 6 months-1 year. Then it's been almost 2 years since his failed surgery instead of 1.

If something is causing someone this much distress I don't think it's an overreaction to be planning A-Z at this point, granted they're going to choose a good surgeon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can we get an update if there any changes since yr last report.   I am in month 10 first surgery with Dr W and very unhappy with the center front, exact reason i underwent the surgery. I dont expect any significant change in 2 months.  I dont know if i wd do second surgery with him, especially if there no improvement in yr results as i seem to have same issue as you did.  

• 2 weeks later...

No way only 500 extra grafts was going to be enough, but in truth, you need to be willing to change your hairstyle to a medium length/normal side part if you want to maximize these results..  This long look just exacerbates the lack of density.

• Like 1

Can we get a follow up on this case? For a lot of us considering Dr. Wesley, the above results and subsequent comments from others recently suggest that something is amiss. Would be great to hear from the clinic considering that they chimed in earlier. 

Apologies for the delay. In truth I kind of put off checking the 6-month update point to avoid having to come to terms with where the situation stood. Minimal change.

I want to make sure I'm being unbiased and fair. I'm going to post photos in a variety of lighting. It would be helpful if anyone/everyone could chime in and say whether you think this is what an HT from a world-class surgeon is supposed to/expected to look like 18 months after the first procedure and 6 months after a second to improve density.

Bathroom mirror:

PXL_20230117_211536681.thumb.jpg.ba523fc118eda0b65dd063ff44f7fa0f.jpg

PXL_20230117_211637934.thumb.jpg.f77f6a1a99470c59ea0351e468030ea2.jpg

PXL_20230117_211702294.thumb.jpg.29380d574f077816d594506a8d62d40c.jpg

Strong overhead lighting:

PXL_20230124_200441375.thumb.jpg.8b1264eb31fa5c7b643c7130363d3374.jpgPXL_20230124_200531273.thumb.jpg.835f1e67f328d8714fc1414b760f3c0f.jpgPXL_20230124_200456224.thumb.jpg.0d43554b55bc1b0399495ceb63f07f07.jpg

Backlit:

PXL_20230126_165914170.thumb.jpg.e7681d8d4fb407775862ca59173b7ea8.jpg

Frontlit:

PXL_20230126_170026667_MP.thumb.jpg.b627ff2b9766382efd7815c198f83fd5.jpg

Dark room:

PXL_20230126_170157474_MP.thumb.jpg.e940381687799de90f014237e223280e.jpg

Sitting at work:

PXL_20230126_164741622_MP.thumb.jpg.6f4d82288982c69d5f6bcc2df207d75e.jpg

Different bathroom mirror:

PXL_20230126_161317204.thumb.jpg.df6d33e9a8dc8ff8b24c26007cae46d0.jpg

PXL_20230126_161425340.thumb.jpg.ea7c6f75ffbe63d524a7b12ffe4cd6e7.jpg

PXL_20230126_161517567.thumb.jpg.50422e5febb5b903bd9b42388f9cb910.jpg

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations? Maybe I take pictures in a way that's more revealing than most people? I don't know. I just want to make sure I'm being fair in my assessment before I decide what to do next.

If you're reading this, please let me know if you think this is how one should expect things to look.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

@washingtondc You have very realistic and fair expectations. Simply put the work is not good, and the result is disappointing at best. Immedietly post op it did not look up to par, and it played out as such.

I hope you can get some sort of refund for your troubles, but that is not worth the time and effort and struggle you have had to deal with these past two years. Im sorry that you're in the situation you're in, it's not your fault, you had good intentions. 

• Like 2

You need dense-packing of the frontal hairband w/lateral slits & proper 1-2-3 haired follicle distribution w/a bit of asymmetrical peaks/valleys.

Go w/Hasson & Wong or Shapiro or Cooley imho.  Take a loan out or something and get this sorted.  Your very fine & straight hair (long too) does you know favors but you can get a much better result.

Wait another 6 months & just do it.   Good luck!

Edited by jjsrader

I don’t think you have unrealistic expectations. Especially, when it comes to something you planned out originally and discussed about multiple times. 

In my honest opinion even after you discussed your issues with density I would not go back even if they offered a free touch up. The issue should’ve been addressed the first time, but given that you did FUE a second go around to add density and it isn’t really meeting much (at this moment) I’d be concerned for the doctors conservative approach. 

I don’t think it’s a failure, but I can’t seem to understand why they would not reinforce your hairline with multi grafts or dense pack the hairs. 
perhaps

because your hair is long it will take much longer to soften and adjust but I definitely see your concern and I think the best steps would be to wait at this point. I think slow and steady is your best approach despite how much anxiety it can produce. 

I know you don’t like concealers/fibers but I think it can be a temporary addition until you hit that 12 month period? It would help to mask some of the harsh lighting effects that make your hair very transparent. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

@washingtondc  It's pretty bad, especially since you've had a surgery and a touch-up with the same doctor. There was a woman who had a hair transplant with this doctor around the same time as you, and had exactly the same issues with density and naturalness. It doesn't appear that this doctor is able to dense pack, and obviously isn't telling his patients about the limitation. I think it's likely you're going to need a third procedure, hopefully with someone else. Sorry.

• Administrators

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy. It looks like you're second procedure was less than 6 months ago right? I would wait a little longer before casting full judgement. That said, if you're dissatisfied best to keep the surgeon in the loop with how you're feeling. Hopefully the situation improves in the next few months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

450/2200 is only 20% additional grafts and most of grafts were double. After second HT you achived lesser scalp visibility. I think if current result was after 1 HT, you wouldn't be dissapointed. But it is after touch up, so you expected more. 

To be 100% satisfied you need 800-900 more grafts on the front, focusing on first 2 cm of hairline.. That should close this subject. My advice, change the surgeon, take your time doing research for next clinic and don't agree on another 400 grafts, because it will be waste of time. After your first surgery  you had 30-35 grafts/cm2 look. So IMO you needed +50% grafts, not +20%. 

You are using slickback hairstyle without hold, kind of pompadour at start, this is most vulnurable to the light, you need good density to rock this hairstyle.  

Or just use wax and some prestyler to get better hold of hair and create better ilussion of density. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 1

In some lights it looks good and do not see a problem but in a certain light i see what bothers you especially i have the same issue, lack of density.  I will post my photos separately.  Have you spoken with the Dr and sent photos with your concern?   Usually he wont see anyone before the one year mark.  

Further to my last post, I definitely see your concern, again because i am very sensitive to it as i have same problem, but i feel you should wait a few more months especially i see an improvement over your previous post.  

Yeah you can private message me but I haven't talked to the clinic or anything yet so I'm not going to have much insight beyond what I've posted here. I also am quite sure there's not going to be any significant progress for the last 5-6 months because there wasn't last time, and there are no visible bits of stubble at this point; all hairs that have sprouted now have some length.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:01 PM, GeneralNorwood said:

450/2200 is only 20% additional grafts and most of grafts were double. After second HT you achived lesser scalp visibility. I think if current result was after 1 HT, you wouldn't be dissapointed. But it is after touch up, so you expected more. 

To be 100% satisfied you need 800-900 more grafts on the front, focusing on first 2 cm of hairline.. That should close this subject. My advice, change the surgeon, take your time doing research for next clinic and don't agree on another 400 grafts, because it will be waste of time. After your first surgery  you had 30-35 grafts/cm2 look. So IMO you needed +50% grafts, not +20%. 

You are using slickback hairstyle without hold, kind of pompadour at start, this is most vulnurable to the light, you need good density to rock this hairstyle.  

Or just use wax and some prestyler to get better hold of hair and create better ilussion of density. 

Thanks for this unbiased assessment. Unfortunately, I *did* take my time doing research for the clinic, and I *didn't* agree to 400 grafts. I don't remember ever being told the number of grafts (though if I had been I probably would have agreed, as I'm not a surgeon who does this for a living). I was just told that the problem would be addressed, and when I tried to get an idea of where the density would be after the second procedure I was told that grafts would be added where they were needed to make it look good aesthetically and that density would increase "50-70% in areas."

The whole situation is just so disheartening. I guess I'm going to contact the clinic and let them know how things have turned out for the second time (if people think that's worthwhile). I'm not even entirely sure what I might stand to gain from that but I guess it makes sense as a first step.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, washingtondc said:

Thanks for this unbiased assessment. Unfortunately, I *did* take my time doing research for the clinic, and I *didn't* agree to 400 grafts. I don't remember ever being told the number of grafts (though if I had been I probably would have agreed, as I'm not a surgeon who does this for a living). I was just told that the problem would be addressed, and when I tried to get an idea of where the density would be after the second procedure I was told that grafts would be added where they were needed to make it look good aesthetically and that density would increase "50-70% in areas."

The whole situation is just so disheartening. I guess I'm going to contact the clinic and let them know how things have turned out for the second time (if people think that's worthwhile). I'm not even entirely sure what I might stand to gain from that but I guess it makes sense as a first step.

You need to ask a lot of questions before procedure, they won't do it for you. Number of grafts is basic question. You didn't agree on specific number of grafts, so they did low effort job, harsh truth. Trust, but verify. 

Nah, you won't gain anything by contacting them. Would you go for another touch up? I wouldn't. So contacting this clinic is pointless. 

Can you send some pictures in daylight, when you are outdoors? 

Another thing is that your hair look dry on some pictures. Do you use protein conditioner and hair mask? It should improve condition of your hair. You can use hair mask once weekly and leave ir for 30-40 minutes, then wash it. 

2 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

You need to ask a lot of questions before procedure, they won't do it for you. Number of grafts is basic question. You didn't agree on specific number of grafts, so they did low effort job, harsh truth. Trust, but verify. 

Nah, you won't gain anything by contacting them. Would you go for another touch up? I wouldn't. So contacting this clinic is pointless. 

Can you send some pictures in daylight, when you are outdoors? 

Another thing is that your hair look dry on some pictures. Do you use protein conditioner and hair mask? It should improve condition of your hair. You can use hair mask once weekly and leave ir for 30-40 minutes, then wash it. 

Dont mean to hijack, but what would you reccomend for both hair mask and conditioner? 

21 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Dont mean to hijack, but what would you reccomend for both hair mask and conditioner? 

i am from Poland, so we have different products here and i use some polish brands ;) 

You have to test different products for yourself. 

I can elaborate that my hair mask has sunflower oil, rycin oil and avocado oil. My conditioner has wheat protein, soy protein and arginine. 

My hairdresser recommended to use this kind of "women products" when she saw that my hair are very dry. Here is the result

329745536_513995597554869_615749810284113679_n.thumb.jpg.0b5421d8b6a8857670122eb5824fd92b.jpg

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, unfortunately I don't know how to private message...........but I am scheduled for a second procedure, also for lack of density in the first, and wanted to hash it over with you if possible.........

You can hash it over. I don't really have any wisdom to impart I don't think, it's really up to what the clinic does, in my limited experience.

A part of me thinks a good portion of the situation can be remedied with some relatively small changes, so I'm going to try to see what my options are.

Edited by washingtondc

On 3/4/2023 at 4:44 AM, washingtondc said:

You can hash it over. I don't really have any wisdom to impart I don't think, it's really up to what the clinic does, in my limited experience.

A part of me thinks a good portion of the situation can be remedied with some relatively small changes, so I'm going to try to see what my options are.

This clinic is not at all worth the price you paid, perhaps they were recommended at some point in the past but remember you shouldn't take anything written here as gospel, ultimately it is up to you do your own research (as thoroughly as you can) and choose a surgeon that way.

The way I did it is, I literally spent days and days (probably over 100 hours) looking at all the recent results from clinics I was interested in, and comparing their results with the clearest pictures I can find (no combover tricks, dim lighting, etc). with other clinics. Also trying to do the same graft number comparisons with different patients.

For your next steps, I strongly advise you to not go back to the same clinic. I think a surgeon like Dr. Konior in Chicago would suit you best.

6 hours ago, asterix0 said:

This clinic is not at all worth the price you paid, perhaps they were recommended at some point in the past but remember you shouldn't take anything written here as gospel, ultimately it is up to you do your own research (as thoroughly as you can) and choose a surgeon that way.

The way I did it is, I literally spent days and days (probably over 100 hours) looking at all the recent results from clinics I was interested in, and comparing their results with the clearest pictures I can find (no combover tricks, dim lighting, etc). with other clinics. Also trying to do the same graft number comparisons with different patients.

For your next steps, I strongly advise you to not go back to the same clinic. I think a surgeon like Dr. Konior in Chicago would suit you best.

Any reasonable person would think otherwise.

it’s tough when you do your research, plan accordingly, and still you are not met with the results you desire. Even, doing it a second time. My opinion is that OP just waits this out a little longer before any additional surgery. After all these do cost a lot. 

since he has long hair it definitely takes some time for things to soften up and settle to his native hair.

taking a smaller approach imo is the best option. See what kind of choices are at your disposal. whether is 50 additional grafts or 1,000 just make sure you have everything YOU want addressed. 

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022