~2200 Graft FUT with Carlos Wesley, NYC, 7/21/21 2nd Surgery 539 grafts, 7/14/22

• Administrators

I recall you were quite anxious last year. Would love to see an update. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi, I wonder why Washington DC doesn't update his results, is he not content with the work thus far (although it's only the 6 month mark),  we are all interested and concerned, I think it's important to follow his progress as he was previously most detailed and conscientious in the sequence of his op.   

• Like 1

@Rolo @Melvin- Moderator @JC71

Hi all, sorry for the delay, been busy and preoccupied with things. I took pictures at the 6 month mark but hadn't posted them yet. In short: Things are still progressing, but definitely not close to where they need to be yet. In extremely dim lighting and the dark, the recipient area looks pretty natural. As we all know though, life has lighting haha, and there's still a lot of progress needed in environments with light.

This is front-lit with relatively soft lighting:

PXL_20220125_004417171.thumb.jpg.869075b340a10686ee4f5d92e2500318.jpg

Obviously still a very significant/apparent difference in the recipient zone compared to my pre-existing, already thinned hair.

PXL_20220125_004522640.thumb.jpg.1ca05cc4d5770affa35e5f3b7115d6bd.jpg

The left side (this is mirrored) is beginning to approach a consistency that could be believable, but isn't there yet.

PXL_20220125_004436637_MP.thumb.jpg.953d3a2f6c1c5f95edfc13e6fec0a970.jpg

The right side looks stranger and more sparse, easy to see the defined line between previous hairline and the recipient zone.

PXL_20220125_004847101_MP.thumb.jpg.f6ba5ac9bb95103b14594a1b76ebc3e9.jpg

Adding a shot of the current recipient zone density, significant empty space at this 6 month mark.

PXL_20220125_065232974_MP.thumb.jpg.0b8c10f64fd63ba22496a6d452c93ead.jpg

Here's a shot laying in bed with dim lamp lighting.

PXL_20220124_220146868_MP.thumb.jpg.62b33b97c06fe0be1c42cc35804ad5f9.jpg

Above is sitting in normal lighting at my desk at work.

PXL_20220201_211422672_MP.thumb.jpg.9d32dd43a40e8ebd94d460c867b41eee.jpg

And finally, sitting at home on my couch in my living room.

As mentioned, when it's dark, it looks believable... but people don't live their lives in the dark haha. It's funny, in most lighting right now I actually look *more* like I'm balding than I did before the procedure (in a way). Pre-procedure my hairline was obviously higher, but the hair at the hairline was less thin than the recipient zone is now. Currently, with the recipient zone so sparse, it gives a visual sense of "balding"/"thinning" more immediately than before.

I'm doing my absolute best to try to keep positive about this and remind myself that though 6 months is an important milestone, there is hopefully still a long way to go. I'm no expert but I would think the hairline area needs to close to double in density to look more natural in most lighting. I'm not sure I'm going to get there. I sure hope so. Again, this is only 6 months so I have to keep waiting for full results, as I'm well aware.

• Like 2

Would you say you are happy with your dr at this point?  I think you extended to your existing hairline rather than filling it ??  They say it takes up to one year, though but i see it has gotten fuller.  Pls keep us informed as i was considering a HT and to choose a dr. 

Hello again, it doesn't look like you suffered from shock loss though, did you experience any problems with that?   I appreciate your sharing your photos and look forward to receiving more to see the progress!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Rolo said:

Please post more photos to see current density. Thanks!

No need to keep asking the same question.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, these are the pictures from the 7 month mark...

PXL_20220228_093521537_MP.thumb.jpg.a773df75eb1bda1be7baad43ac13070e.jpg

PXL_20220228_093537024.thumb.jpg.d96252884a30d25057c0611733c05398.jpg

PXL_20220228_093529149_MP.thumb.jpg.e17740f7d52b04e37e63270b8ec7ed82.jpg

PXL_20220228_094012145_MP.thumb.jpg.c8adc9e67c1971d27d1babd3338d2da3.jpg

Again, this is with fairly standard front lighting that's a bit above eye level.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little apprehensive at this point. There doesn't really seem to be much discernable difference between this and the previous month's photos...

Is anyone ever done growing at the 6 month mark? Things definitely need to thicken up a lot more to not look strange in a lot of environments...

You shouldn’t be done growing at the 6/7 month. I have to agree that I can’t really see any particular changes over the last month. Have you been in contact with the clinic with your updates? How did the FUT scar end up healing? Thanks for the update 🙏

I haven't had the scar area repaired yet, it didn't seem like the best idea to head into NYC during the delta/omicron waves, but now that that's significantly waned, maybe it's time.

I just took a walk around the office as there's hardly anyone here today, checking it in lots of spots, and I'm not sure I realized the full extent of just how often it looks like it does in the 6 month pictures. At this point it really gives more a visual impression of "balding" than it did pre-procedure, in maybe half of all environments.

I was doing a decent job telling myself that I'm only slightly over halfway through the process, but with virtually no change from month 6 to 7, it's hard to not get concerned some again. Has anyone had months where no growth has happened partway through, followed by significant new hairs sprouting afterward?

• Administrators

It’s not gonna look perfect at this point, still plenty of time to thicken and mature.

View my thread

Thanks for the update and i see your concern but only because i fear this will be exactly the same issue with me.  I am only 8 days post op but i can tell there was not enough central density.  He made the hairline as i had requested but i had told him i wanted full density and the central front part he only went back about 1 cm or so and did not touch the part.  I feel when this grows in it wont provide enough to cover any sparse areas behind it.   

1 hour ago, washingtondc said:

I haven't had the scar area repaired yet

Might be best to wait for the 1 year mark at this point in case he needs to fill in the front line. This way both can be done at once.

46 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Might be best to wait for the 1 year mark at this point in case he needs to fill in the front line. This way both can be done at once.

Yeah, I've had this thought too honestly, good point.

8 hours ago, washingtondc said:

Sorry for the delay, these are the pictures from the 7 month mark...

PXL_20220228_093521537_MP.thumb.jpg.a773df75eb1bda1be7baad43ac13070e.jpg

PXL_20220228_093537024.thumb.jpg.d96252884a30d25057c0611733c05398.jpg

PXL_20220228_093529149_MP.thumb.jpg.e17740f7d52b04e37e63270b8ec7ed82.jpg

PXL_20220228_094012145_MP.thumb.jpg.c8adc9e67c1971d27d1babd3338d2da3.jpg

Again, this is with fairly standard front lighting that's a bit above eye level.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little apprehensive at this point. There doesn't really seem to be much discernable difference between this and the previous month's photos...

Is anyone ever done growing at the 6 month mark? Things definitely need to thicken up a lot more to not look strange in a lot of environments...

I must say that at this point you have a relatively good idea of how things will turn out. The transplant is not done maturing and the thickness may improve slightly but that's only one issue that I think is making it look slightly unnatural. If you zoom in you can see there are definitely two hair grafts in the first row of the hairline. If you combine low density with multi-grafts it is going to look unnatural most of the time. I wouldn't have expected this with a surgeon like Wesley so I would definitely bring it up at the next visit. 

Edited by BDK081522
  • Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

4 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

I wouldn't have expected this with a surgeon like Cooley

Don't think he went to Cooley? Says Dr. Carlos Wesley but either way I agree that it might require a touch up. It certainly looks fixable but it's still too soon to panic. 

Edited by JoeMan

7 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Don't think he went to Cooley? Says Dr. Carlos Wesley but either way I agree that it might require a touch up. It certainly looks fixable but it's still too soon to panic. 

Sorry, you're correct..it was Wesley. But the same sentiment holds true. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

3 minutes ago, washingtondc said:

Sigh... I'm not made out of money

Well it hasn't been a year yet but I would expect a quality Dr to fix this if at 1 year it still shows little to no progress. Still some time but not much longer and you'll have your answer. He should stand behind his work though.