Serious question: hair restoration using pubes and armpit hair. Can it be used to increase the donor resources?

Hello there, having been lurkin the forum for a while, i suspect this has been asked by someone else before. However, as the title suggest, this is a serious question. I know there are clinic who are serious about body hair transplant and use them as for secondary resource. But they are extracting from the chest and the beard and i have very little amount of hair to start with. So i believe it has to stay where it is, otherwise it would become a "baldness relocation" rather than a transplant. I would not mind extracting some hair from more intimate parts and place them among others.. i wonder if one could get some 800 - 1000 extra follicles this way. Beside the obvious funny sides of the situation, i would consider this a positive achievement. 800 hair is not that much but allows for some more coverage or touch up. What's your opinion?

Edited by mxm56

• mxm56 changed the title to Serious question: hair restoration using pubes and armpit hair. Can it be used to increase the donor resources?
59 minutes ago, mxm56 said:

Hello there, having been lurkin the forum for a while, i suspect this has been asked by someone else before. However, as the title suggest, this is a serious question. I know there are clinic who are serious about body hair transplant and use them as for secondary resource. But they are extracting from the chest and the beard and i have very little amount of hair to start with. So i believe it has to stay where it is, otherwise it would become a "baldness relocation" rather than a transplant. I would not mind extracting some hair from more intimate parts and place them among others.. i wonder if one could get some 800 - 1000 extra follicles this way. Beside the obvious funny sides of the situation, i would consider this a positive achievement. 800 hair is not that much but allows for some more coverage or touch up. What's your opinion?

Haha good question. I have very little body hair so I'm in the same boat actually. Will meet Dr. mwamba next week so can ask him

800 hairs is eyebrow work.  Not much.  The problem I've found with body hair transplant is the fact most of the harvested grafts are one hair grafts and do not provide much coverage.  Pubic? No problem but then you have the kink.  I guess that would provide more lateral coverage in theory.......I wonder if the smell would also transfer? 

I think it's important to recognize that a small set of grafts, regardless of where they came from, will accomplish NOTHING when spread over a large area.  The only way for follicular units to accomplish anything is to place them close together .  Concentrate on a specific area and when happy, move to another area.  

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you retain the native hair? 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

It has been done, but it doesn’t look good. I saw someone here with armpit hair used on their scalp, and it showed. Unless you’re someone where the texture is similar to scalp hair, it’s not a viable source of donor.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah I wouldn’t touch armpit hair for many reasons but one is that you’ll get ingrown hair in this area, very painful 😖 

pubs hair for donor restocking could definitely work tho. 

OK - So i understand that it can be done, Dr. Mwamba does it so one could transplant his pubes but NOT on the recepient area. To prevent both crabs and kinkness, the pubes have to go over the donor.  

Now imagine that same donor, from which a total of 1000 EXTRA grafts were taken, being treted by a combination of Scalp Micropigmentation and Pubic Hair. I think it could look quite well! Only an expert could tell if this correct, of course.

Ajamilo, please, yes: ask Dr. Mwamba about the ideas here. I feel like we are pushing the boundaries of Hair Transplant to new frontiers with this thread.

Edited by mxm56

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, mxm56 said:

OK - So i understand that it can be done, Dr. Mwamba does it so one could transplant his pubes but NOT on the recepient area. To prevent both crabs and kinkness, the pubes have to go over the donor.  

Now imagine that same donor, from which a total of 1000 EXTRA grafts were taken, being treted by a combination of Scalp Micropigmentation and Pubic Hair. I think it could look quite well! Only an expert could tell if this correct, of course.

Ajamilo, please, yes: ask Dr. Mwamba about the ideas here. I feel like we are pushing the boundaries of Hair Transplant to new frontiers with this thread.

Yes it has been done decades ago. The question isn’t can it be done, it’s should it be done. In my opinion, no, unless you have the same textured hair, for example: afro textured hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

Where does ass hair rank on the transplantable scale? Seems like no one ever mentions it.

I guess it depends on the donor! However, let's not exagerate.. wouldn't trust those smelly bastards!

Edited by mxm56

A very interesting topic and some great points have already been made.

It has been performed as has been mentioned, to different levels of success and it really does present quite unique challenges.

You may have heard pubic and armpit hair sometimes referred to as "wet" hair. This is due to glands in the localised area such as sweat glands and sebaceous glands. One of the roles of the sweat gland is to remove waste by secreting water, sodium salts etc and the sebaceous gland is to produce and secrete oils/sebum. This would suggest that surgery would present a sweaty and "wet" environment which isn't necessarily ideal during the procedure and can have quite an effect post surgery as due to further sweating and secretions, healing may not be so good in these areas.

Due to such factors and the potential discrepancy in hair characteristic/texture, it generally isn't the ideal donor source.

The beard and chest in appropriate candidates would normally present a greater and much more reliable source of donor hair that may in some individuals have more favourable hair groupings and so has more logic and would more routinely be considered.

Not to mention other potential "uncomfortable" situations such as physiological reactions in the pubic area (it has happened).

1023146105_Screenshot2021-07-01at22_29_16.thumb.png.4ae4bd7c7946247da6d427826a47d2e0.png

For more in depth detail regarding body hair, there are some great points  in the following video -

• Like 3

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

22 minutes ago, mxm56 said:

What about buzz cuts?

I think it would work better with buzzed or shorter hair giving that the hairs wouldn’t be long enough to curl.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Raphael84 said:

A very interesting topic and some great points have already been made.

It has been performed as has been mentioned, to different levels of success and it really does present quite unique challenges.

You may have heard pubic and armpit hair sometimes referred to as "wet" hair. This is due to glands in the localised area such as sweat glands and sebaceous glands. One of the roles of the sweat gland is to remove waste by secreting water, sodium salts etc and the sebaceous gland is to produce and secrete oils/sebum. This would suggest that surgery would present a sweaty and "wet" environment which isn't necessarily ideal during the procedure and can have quite an effect post surgery as due to further sweating and secretions, healing may not be so good in these areas.

Due to such factors and the potential discrepancy in hair characteristic/texture, it generally isn't the ideal donor source.

The beard and chest in appropriate candidates would normally present a greater and much more reliable source of donor hair that may in some individuals have more favourable hair groupings and so has more logic and would more routinely be considered.

Not to mention other potential "uncomfortable" situations such as physiological reactions in the pubic area (it has happened).

1023146105_Screenshot2021-07-01at22_29_16.thumb.png.4ae4bd7c7946247da6d427826a47d2e0.png

For more in depth detail regarding body hair, there are some great points  in the following video -

Excellent post and points. There was a case years ago posted by Dr. Umar, he used arm pit hair for an extreme case. In my opinion, the texture difference was too much and while he definitely had hair, cosmetically it wasn’t good. There are outliers, like mentioned afro textured hair, or even really straight east asian hair may work as well.

View my thread

2 hours ago, Mark Wolfer said:

My taint hair is luxurious

I would've been disappointed if the thread didn't ultimately lead to a comment like this. 😂

(Also for the OP - I'm glad you asked this question, and it sparked quite a bit of education and discussion. :) )

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 7/1/2021 at 11:35 PM, mxm56 said:

@mxm56

so the pubic hair is good according to him and gives better density than chest. I dont have chest hair so meaby i’m going to use it on my donor tomorrow since both has the same quality and curliness 😅

If you are going this body hair route, I think the best approach is to get diffuse coverage with all the body hair you want, get a buzz cut and then get SMP to give an illusion of increased density. With buzz cut, the nature of the hair will matter less. Dr Umar has this type of videos on his YouTube.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Bald-and-Bearded, this is the kind of work i was thinking about! 

On 7/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, Ajamilo said:

Haha good question. I have very little body hair so I'm in the same boat actually. Will meet Dr. mwamba next week so can ask him

Ajamilo, could you ask Mr. Mwamba about this?