Dr. Bruno Ferreira - 2nd Surgery. 2881 Grafts | 6540 Total. NW5a

Yeah indeed i like this length on top and shorter at the sides. Will possibly have something like this guy in the picture 😁

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Month 8

Hi Peeps! It's been a while I've updated my thread! O_o

The other day I was feeling like I have a "second chance" in life with my hair. First time around I screw up by not treating my hair loss. Now I've got 2 transplants and it looks great!

Crown that wasn't touched looks thinner and thinner the more hair I have in other areas (and growing my hair longer on the sides), so I'm torn on what to do. It doesn't really bother me, but the more I look at it, the more I think "it could have been better!".

Video as always going into more detail + usual close-ups.

Edited by Rolandas
  • Like 2

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

21 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Crown that wasn't touched looks thinner and thinner the more hair I have in other areas (and growing my hair longer on the sides), so I'm torn on what to do.

Would you consider going 5mg daily oral minoxidil? 

I think what you are experiencing with the crown is;

1) at longer lengths, your natural whorl being more noticeable than shorter lengths (this is very common due to the length and weight of longer hair, pulling it in the various directions a whorl produces, opening up more reflection of light against the scalp) 

2) like you mention, other surrounding areas now denser than before , creating a more extreme contrast to what you were used to before hand. 

Needless to say you’re looking great, and I continue to enjoy catching up on your videos.  

Edited by Curious25
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Would you consider going 5mg daily oral minoxidil? 

I think what you are experiencing with the crown is;

1) at longer lengths, your natural whorl being more noticeable than shorter lengths (this is very common due to the length and weight of longer hair, pulling it in the various directions a whorl produces, opening up more reflection of light against the scalp) 

2) like you mention, other surrounding areas now denser than before , creating a more extreme contrast to what you were used to before hand. 

Needless to say you’re looking great, and I continue to enjoy catching up on your videos.  

Thanks mate!

Indeed one of the options on the table is increasing OM to 5mg/day. According to all evidence I've seen it's much more superior than 2.5mg, but also comes with more potential sides, which is something I'm not 100% comfortable with. Possibly more long term positive data on 5mg would convince me, but I haven't seen it as of yet.

Another option is ofc transplant. It would be guaranteed result, but I don't think I'd do only crown, probably would get "hair greed" and do more work like lowering temples/adding density into temple peaks etc.

We shall see I guess 😅

Follow me on YouTube

• 4 weeks later...

Month 9

In this update I've ONLY focused on close-ups under lots of natural light, dry hair, wet hair, tried different hair styles with some product - ALL at the same place with the same light condition, so you can see it ALL ;) 

• Like 3

Follow me on YouTube

• 2 months later...

Month 10

Very late update, but it's worth mentioning.

While transplanted hair grows nicely, I've noticed increased shedding for the last few months.
Most of the time they're thin, miniaturised-like hair, but sometimes they look really strong, transplanted-like hair.

Of course at first I wasn't bothered as I know this is due to hair growth cycles of native hair as I've started oral minoxidil almost a year ago (it's about time for them to shed after all!), but since it was happening for a few months, even I of all people started slowly getting worried.
In terms of thicker hair that shed it's likely due to, again, hair growth cycles, or rather de-synchronisation of the anagen phase, since we know all transplanted hair are forced to go into the same anagen phase after the Transplant, so some of them usually go back to their original cycles at about 10-15 months after the transplant.

Anyways, I've discussed this in more detail in this video alongside some pictures and videos 

• Like 5

Follow me on YouTube

2 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Month 10

While transplanted hair grows nicely, I've noticed increased shedding for the last few months.
Most of the time they're thin, miniaturised-like hair, but sometimes they look really strong, transplanted-like hair.

Of course at first I wasn't bothered as I know this is due to hair growth cycles of native hair as I've started oral minoxidil almost a year ago (it's about time for them to shed after all!), but since it was happening for a few months, even I of all people started slowly getting worried.
In terms of thicker hair that shed it's likely due to, again, hair growth cycles, or rather de-synchronisation of the anagen phase, since we know all transplanted hair are forced to go into the same anagen phase after the Transplant, so some of them usually go back to their original cycles at about 10-15 months after the transplant.

Anyways, I've discussed this in more detail in this video alongside some pictures and videos 

Yeah, a lot of people miss this part of the hair transplant information and think the hair transplant has started to fail because of the de-synchronisation of the anagen phases and seeing a slightly lesser density. That's why again usually a hair transplant isn't one and done. You sometimes (usually?) have to go for that 2nd pass to add density and reinforce the area 

That said, good job on the content man. You're definitely helping add to people's information bank around Hair Transplants in areas i think tend to go a bit more unnoticed but are just as important to know. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:08 PM, Rolandas said:

Month 10

Regarding the shedding, you might want to consider switching to dutasteride from fin, adding 2% ketoconazole and getting a biopsy to make sure you don't have lichen.

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Regarding the shedding, you might want to consider switching to dutasteride from fin, adding 2% ketoconazole and getting a biopsy to make sure you don't have lichen.

Really? A biopsy without any other symptoms besides shedding? You gotta be kidding me…. Lichen planopilaris (which I assume is what you’re referencing) will typically have symptoms of erythema, inflammation, flaking, etc.

I would see someone familiar in dermoscopy first to look at my scalp before jumping into a biopsy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Really? A biopsy without any other symptoms besides shedding? You gotta be kidding me…. Lichen planopilaris (which I assume is what you’re referencing) will typically have symptoms of erythema, inflammation, flaking, etc.

I would see someone familiar in dermoscopy first to look at my scalp before jumping into a biopsy

It could be a forme fruste of it. Just odd to see "shedding" when everything was going so clean up until this point, especially in this time frame. And biopsies are relatively minor procedures. Hopefully it's the anagen/telogen theory that Rolandas put out in his video but if not would be good to know early.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:03 PM, Gokuhairline said:

can you explain this de-synchronization concept a bit more in detail and give some examples ? where can it happen ? how long etc

Due to hair transplant, all extracted grafts are pretty much forced to go into tellogen phase at the same time (shedding phase 2-6 weeks after the surgery). So all of them will start to grow in a "synchronised" way after 3-5 months after the surgery.

However, usually in between 10-18 months after the surgery some grafts will shed again and go back to their "original" cycles, the way they were growing in the donor area, hence a lot of people notice slightly less density at that time compared to 8-12 months after the surgery.

Rest assured these hair will grow back after some time and a person will have all of them growing once again since anagen ohade is usually 2-7 years.

I wasn't expecting it to happen to me so early (and maybe that's not the case), but I guess we shall see as there's nothing I can do about it.

Follow me on YouTube

18 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Don't think I'm there yet to upgrade to dutasteride. I prefer to keep this option when I really see the need. For now I think it's a matter of growth cycles alongside Oral minoxidil shedding (native hair that got boost a year ago). After all their anagen phase was quite short and OM prolonged it. They won't grow forever and will eventually shed. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm also on keto once a week for around 6 months now. Added when started microneedling my donor.

Don't see the need to do biopsy as my scalp looks healthy. But thanks for suggestion though!

Follow me on YouTube