Is it possible for me to get a FUE Hair Transplant?

We are still missing the photo with you looking down....But off hand it looks like a solid 5 pattern.  The first thing I would do is let your hair grow 2 weeks and take another set of photos.  Two reasons for the 2 weeks.  First, it will allow us to see how much native hair you do have.  The second reason is to find out if you'll be able to handle longer hair. Have you been shaving long? Will you continue shaving once you have "more hair?" If so, then comes the question, why more hair if you are going to shave?

But if you are planning on letting your hair grow, let's confirm the hair in the donor will fall and cover.  This would allow for both FUT and FUE.  Having access to the entire area will open up a number of choices for you.  Concentrate on the front and top and leave the back for later.  Once happy up front, you can then decide what to do.  Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native stuff?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Based on these photos, it appears you can definitely get a hair transplant. Are you on any medications? It would be good to be on meds to stabilize your hair loss.

You should consult with the recommended surgeons on here:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators

You appear to be headed towards a Norwood 7 level of hair loss. You have significant thinning above your ears, also known as retrograde alopecia. Your expectations will determine whether you are a candidate. Also, are you on any preventive hair loss medications such as finasteride and minoxidil?

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Quite honestly you look cool with a shaved head and beard.  Why not keep that look?

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Valued Contributor

It is definitely possible to get an FUE hair transplant. The real question though is will you like it? To answer your question what are your goals (partial coverage, full coverage, etc)? Are you willing to take finasteride for life? Are you willing to utilize beard hair to augment your scalp donor grafts used for surgery? I don't mean to sound harsh at all. Keep asking questions that arise from your research here on the forum and then you will be in a position to get closer to what can and can't be done. All the best!

OP You’l have to post better photos for a more accurate assessment, and with longer hair length too if possible. 

Based from what I can see - your crown looks to be dipping into NW6 territory, hopefully your sides will stay high. Your beard also looks like it will be a viable donor source, which bodes well for maximising the amount of grafts you will have available to use.   

6 hours ago, Curious25 said:

What NW5’s crown dips to that extent ? 

Plenty of them.  To be sure, however, it would be nice to see what the pattern looks up front.  Could be the beginning of a six.  The haircut does not help either.  Like I said, let it grow for 2 weeks and post again to confirm.  

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

24 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Plenty of them.  To be sure, however, it would be nice to see what the pattern looks up front.  Could be the beginning of a six.  The haircut does not help either.  Like I said, let it grow for 2 weeks and post again to confirm.  

For me, that’s a 6 already 

E9851C40-88DE-4CC1-BC58-4AC32888B936.jpeg

• Like 1

let's wait to see what the loss is in the front and top.  Perhaps the bridge is still there.  We'll see.

Yes you look good with that look. SMP may enhance what you got going on already. 

4 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

let's wait to see what the loss is in the front and top.  Perhaps the bridge is still there.  We'll see.

Edited by gman849
Spelling

On 5/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, aaron1234 said:

Quite honestly you look cool with a shaved head and beard.  Why not keep that look?

I agree, if anything move some hair from your head to your beard. Otherwise you have a good head shape, normal ear size and they don't stick out excessively from the sides of the head.

Then you'll only have to invest in a good electric palm head shaver so you can easily give yourself haircuts the rest of your life. No need to worry about researching for a good doc, trying to take finasteride to slow down and stabilize your hair loss rate, crossing your fingers everything goes right, trying to hide surgery scars, trying to hide that you had something done for months until the results grow in, and alot of cash. Because even best case scenario you're going to need more than one surgery over your lifetime.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 10:28 PM, LaserCaps said:

We are still missing the photo with you looking down....But off hand it looks like a solid 5 pattern.  The first thing I would do is let your hair grow 2 weeks and take another set of photos.  Two reasons for the 2 weeks.  First, it will allow us to see how much native hair you do have.  The second reason is to find out if you'll be able to handle longer hair. Have you been shaving long? Will you continue shaving once you have "more hair?" If so, then comes the question, why more hair if you are going to shave?

But if you are planning on letting your hair grow, let's confirm the hair in the donor will fall and cover.  This would allow for both FUT and FUE.  Having access to the entire area will open up a number of choices for you.  Concentrate on the front and top and leave the back for later.  Once happy up front, you can then decide what to do.  Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native stuff?

Sorry completely forgot about the picture with looking down. Just added it into this post. I've been shaving for about 2 or 3 years now. Always had longer hair but my hair started receding early in my age. I'm not taking any stuff and never did. I thought about finasteride but I'm not sure as I heard some people get terrible side effects.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:36 AM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Based on these photos, it appears you can definitely get a hair transplant. Are you on any medications? It would be good to be on meds to stabilize your hair loss.

You should consult with the recommended surgeons on here:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

Not using any medications.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:20 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

You appear to be headed towards a Norwood 7 level of hair loss. You have significant thinning above your ears, also known as retrograde alopecia. Your expectations will determine whether you are a candidate. Also, are you on any preventive hair loss medications such as finasteride and minoxidil?

I'm not using any medications. Thought about finasteride but not sure as I heard that you might get side effects.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, aaron1234 said:

I don't think that look suits me.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, Gatsby said:

It is definitely possible to get an FUE hair transplant. The real question though is will you like it? To answer your question what are your goals (partial coverage, full coverage, etc)? Are you willing to take finasteride for life? Are you willing to utilize beard hair to augment your scalp donor grafts used for surgery? I don't mean to sound harsh at all. Keep asking questions that arise from your research here on the forum and then you will be in a position to get closer to what can and can't be done. All the best!

Well I would definitely concentrate on the front first and later on on the crown. I thought about using my beard hair for the crown.

22 hours ago, ciaus said:

I agree, if anything move some hair from your head to your beard. Otherwise you have a good head shape, normal ear size and they don't stick out excessively from the sides of the head.

Then you'll only have to invest in a good electric palm head shaver so you can easily give yourself haircuts the rest of your life. No need to worry about researching for a good doc, trying to take finasteride to slow down and stabilize your hair loss rate, crossing your fingers everything goes right, trying to hide surgery scars, trying to hide that you had something done for months until the results grow in, and alot of cash. Because even best case scenario you're going to need more than one surgery over your lifetime.

Thanks for the compliment! But I look way better with hair lol :) I mean I got used to the bald look but sometimes I still want to have a head full of hair. But as you said then I wouldn't have to worry that everything goes right. I just wanted to know what are my options for a hair transplant as I've been thinking about getting one but I also don't know how much of my donor hair can be used.

Edited.png

• Administrators

What do you expect out of surgery? Because you will never have a full head of hair. The crown will have to be bald.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you're optimistic check out Dr Umar's channel on Youtube. He does the most extreme cases. You can decide for yourself if you like that look over the shaven look. I don't know if he shows off only the best outcomes though.

For example I'm curious how this patient will turn out

• Like 1

Finasteride side effects are rare and only last as long as you're on the drug, so for most people it's worth a shot. It will greatly improve your candidacy for a hair transplant. Do more research on it and speak to a qualified doctor.

• Valued Contributor

To be honest after seeing your over head shot and the crown I really believe that without medication I don't think that you are a suitable candidate for a hair transplant. Only you know what result you would be happy with and even if you went to say Eugenix, without stabilizing your hair loss, I truly believe that you will end up regretting that you had surgery. If the crown is something you want filled then I would really think long and hard about the pro's and cons about letting someone perform surgery on you. A hair transplant is only one option when it comes to hair loss and it only works if the results match the true expectations of the patient.

23 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

If you're optimistic check out Dr Umar's channel on Youtube. He does the most extreme cases. You can decide for yourself if you like that look over the shaven look. I don't know if he shows off only the best outcomes though.

For example I'm curious how this patient will turn out

Umar certainly is a bit of wizard with high NW cases. 

OP research what sort of outcomes high NW’s such as yourself can usually expect to achieve, and if you are satisfied with these results then by all means look to pursue the HT route - however you need to align your expectations with reality first and foremost. 

Aside from Umar, Dr Zarev and Eugenix seem to do well with high NW’s. If we utilise your beard and chest hair - and are able to get 4-5000 scalp grafts, I think you could get a pretty good result, given your hair calibre is average at worst, and you are content with a gradual decrease in density from front to back.