Terrified of Fin, the side effects, and the serious implications it has

Question - why if there is no side effects from Fin, do you not personally take it, when everyone is telling everyone here to take it?  That's a bit confusing?

Also - I am terrified to try it in the first place (Fin) because the side effects are said to be irreversible.

21 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

First, 

Let me start off by saying I don’t take fin. However, the vast majority of men do not experience side effects, that’s a fact. The percentage, now that’s debatable. I really don’t understand the apprehension. If you get side effects, stop taking it. 

Below is my story

Hey man, 

Thanks for your story, just watched it, really inspiring stuff, see man, I do not ever want to get to that point, ever. Like I don't even want to risk it with a side effect that lasts like that, it's just not worth it for me.

So I get your story, you're like me, you do not want to take fin, you have to choose the right steps wisely.  So what do you suggest for me based on my pictures, Melvin, honestly, your hair now looks great and I am an open book.

I want/need to know what the hell is the next steps for me.  As a 29 year old man, do I wait for a hair transplant, do I consider it now, should I hold it off, like please man.  Genuinely, I need some guidance here and I am wanting to do this the right way.

Would really appreciate your help.

22 hours ago, ciaus said:

About half of the 4% of guys that reported side effects during the clinical trials were not taking the finasteride, they were in the the placebo group. There are guys that get paranoid about the possibility of side effects and actually psyche themselves out into having sexual performance issues. Reading your posts you sound like one of those guys, and based on that I don't think you should bother with finasteride, you probably torture yourself with worry down the road with what-if(s) even if you don't have immediate side effects.  

And even if 20 or 50 forum members replied to this thread that they experienced side effects, it would be a bad basis for making a decision for yourself. Millions of guys have taken the drug over the decades.

Delay getting a hair transplant as long as possible so you and the doctor can best estimate whether you'll have enough hair in the long run. Or become philosophical and stop caring about superficial stuff like hair.

I think this post sums it up pretty good.  The thing is, what do you say about this video, a modifier in this forum: 

This is very real, the side effects, no boners, depression, very real.  I Just need help about doing this without Fin.

22 hours ago, James C said:

Are you heading towards an advanced pattern? I am. I was told starting with fut is the only way to maximize your donor area so you can get max coverage front to back. There’s a lot of good fut surgeons in the US. I’d say the average is about $13k for a 2500 Graft procedure 

Hey man, based on my pics, do you suggest FUT for me or FUE, what would benefit me most, also, do you have a list of clinics in Europe?

22 hours ago, asterix0 said:

I definitely am, probably Norwood 5-6. I hope not Norwood 7 since my sides have remained high and thick for the most part, but one never knows with this bullshit. I would have been there years ago if not for finasteride and minoxidil. 

Yes, in theory FUT + FUE does give maximum coverage. What you suggested was actually my original plan. However, the same way how some people fear finasteride, I somewhat fear FUT. For one, Im worried about scar stretching and nerve damage. I have read cases about the pain and numbness in the donor long after the surgery has been done.I also sort of want the get out of jail card of buzzing my head if things go wrong, and that seems much more doable after FUE than FUT.

I think FUE yields have somewhat closed the gap with FUT to make it more viable. And when I look at how the donor area looks with doctors such as Dr. Zarev, it almost looks untouched. Similarly with other doctors such as Dr. Konior. 

Asterix, which is better and why FUE or FUT, and do you have cliniques in Europe that you recommend, also, I do not want to go on FIN, i just want to know when do I know it is the right time for a HT?  When are the signs there?  

22 hours ago, AB2000 said:

From what it appears when I contacted the rep at the Eugenix clinic they do not do body hair transplants.  Unless you consider beard to be "body" hair.  I think the idea that they do BHT has been erroneously passed on as fact.  If someone from Eugenix wants to correct this they can feel free, but then I'd ask why I was told otherwise.

What is Eugenix, everyone keeps mentioning this? @asterix0  - Think you mentioned this as well, any top clinics I can start to explore?

15 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

Firstly...Belgravia Centre is a great starting point for new people to get legit hair loss products BUT it is ridiculously expensive. You can get a year of fin and minoxidil for around £300 elsewhere.

Second... it sounds like you worked yourself up into a frenzy. It shouldn't make you anxious, faint or light headed.

If you go back on it - take it slow, a quarter of a dose 3 times a week for a month. Then half a dose 3 times a week for a month. Then a full dose 5 times a week for the rest of the time you want to take it. This lets your body slowly adjust.

Having said that - with your overactive mind maybe you should look into a wig or "hair system" or just let nature take its course? If taking fin briefly gave you all that trouble, imagine the stress of booking and going through with a surgery, and the year of slowly waiting as it grows in.

Hey man, thanks for the post, I saw you wrote a book and stuff, I may look into it and buy it, but I also see you had bad side effects from Fin, what happened?  Also, is Minoxidil safe, is it okay to use Minoxidil rather than Fin, for example, later in this thread Melvin posted a video of his side effects from Fin with Erectile Dysfunction and I do not even want to go down that path.

Do you have any good recommendations for Hair Transplants and where/when to start, whats the cue for me to start the search?

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

First, 

Let me start off by saying I don’t take fin. However, the vast majority of men do not experience side effects, that’s a fact. The percentage, now that’s debatable. I really don’t understand the apprehension. If you get side effects, stop taking it. 

Below is my story

Also the apprehension is very real and there, some side-effects are irreversible... that is what i have seen.  Also, you yourself in your video said you did not feel right for a very long time after you stopped taking Fin, it's like you do not remember how you felt yourself.

10 hours ago, j1mmy said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. I know how you are feeling. Losing my hair at 20, I was the only one of my friends in that position, and am still the worst off 10 years later. It is not nice to feel your looks and attractiveness eroding at a young age, feeling as though you are already "dying" of old age is how I felt. The opposite of vital, like I should have felt at 20. 

What exactly did you take from Belgravia? 

It does not turn you into a female, you have been reading propaganda, or too many transexual websites :D.  It lowers your DHT by approximately 70%. You still have DHT, and your body upregulates testosterone a little as one of the feedback mechanisms. DHT's main role is in male sexual differentiation (i.e. puberty), after that it has a "minor role" as a circulating endocrine hormone, 1/20th the circulating concentration of free testosterone. 

Your plan of action should be focused on thinking of other things, other than just your hair. If you got cancer tomorrow, you wouldn't care about your hair anymore, put it in perspective. 

Minoxidil is not a prescription drug, finasteride is. 

If I had previous issues with anxiety, I would want to separate these two medications, starting with the one you are most comfortable with, minoxidil. You notice positive effects of regrowth, if you are a good responder, after 2+ months of using minoxidil. This seeing of new hairs for the first time in years can be enough to encourage you, and may be something you want to stick with for many years. I don't think your anxiety about it lends itself to starting finasteride right now, because you are too worried about it, and I don't think you have reason to. An effect from minoxidil buys you time in your 20's to make the right decisions going forward, whether that is finasteride, surgery, shaved head, hair piece. 

But if you were to start after seeing results from minoxidil, and felt in the right position to do so, then you might consider finasteride. I would definitely start by taking as little finasteride as possible to ease your mind. Prescriptions can be got from boots online in the UK, amongst others. I would buy a pill cutter from the pharmacy, and cut a 1mg pill into 4, and take 0,25g twice per week for a month. If that was ok 0,25g three times per week, etc. If I noticed any side effects, I would go back down to the previous. This has worked for hundreds of people that I have heard of.

You should check out TheBaldTruth show, now broadcasted on youtube Friday 9 or 10pm GMT. The hosts have taken finasteride for 50 years combined, and spoken to literally thousands of callers over 20 years. Anyone reporting side effects has reported transient side effects, and nobody permanent side effects. 

Hey, I just want to say that this post was great, gave me some great inspiration, and you seem to really know your stuff.

Is there benefits to just taking Minoxidil alone, is it safe to take minoxidil and if you were me how would you go about taking it?  What are the side effects of it?

Would Minoxidil alone help or is that weak and I would still lose hair, which is the stronger of the two, Fin or Minoxidil.

When I went to Belgravia, it was a while ago, but they took pictures, asked me a bunch of questions, I lied when I said I did not have previous depression, and after taking Fin the pills had seem to have effected me, I can't explain it.    However, I just remember being at work and I had to leave the office, It was really bad.  I felt super weak. I remember my heart beating fast as well.  I don't know if it was the Fin or the Minoxidil?  It terrified me to ever take it again, I therefore went on a research frenzy and saw all these posts about Fin and stories of people being unable to explain how Belgravia can just hand it out.

I might call my doctor and ask for his opinion, I think I did ask one in the UK and he told me to stay away from it to be honest.

You labelled out a plan for me to take the pills and minoxidil, and I really appreciate your time, I wondering if you could help me make a plan if I didn't want to take Fin, how would you go about it, where would you go (if you are located in the UK), which doctor and why, which one FUT or FUE, would you wait, I really would like to know.

I am writing down the best posts in a PDF for myself so I can print and highlight and make an informed decision, as of now I dont know where the best clinics are or best way to go about it or time as well.

Really appreciate it, I do want to save my hair, I use to have such thick hair honestly.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Hairtroubles said:

Also the apprehension is very real and there, some side-effects are irreversible... that is what i have seen.  Also, you yourself in your video said you did not feel right for a very long time after you stopped taking Fin, it's like you do not remember how you felt yourself.

I do remember, but guess what, I got better. The side effects lasted for a few months. You will never know until you try it. If you get side effects, stop taking it. If you have a lot of hair to lose, it's definitely worth trying. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

49 minutes ago, Hairtroubles said:

Hey man, based on my pics, do you suggest FUT for me or FUE, what would benefit me most, also, do you have a list of clinics in Europe?

I would say Fut because you have hairline and crown loss which is indication of a somewhat advanced pattern. They say starting with strip and then going to FUE maximizes your donor yield. You’ll get the most grafts that way. I have no idea of any solid clinics in Europe. I feel like there’s only a handful of good doctors in the world. A majority of them in the US with the exception of Dr Hasson. 

1 hour ago, Hairtroubles said:

This is very real, the side effects, no boners, depression, very real.  I Just need help about doing this without Fin.

56 minutes ago, Hairtroubles said:

You need to slow down, I'm thinking you may have more than hair troubles. You joined the forum yesterday with this account and you're already up to 27 posts. Take a breather, especially if you post under other accounts.

What you've seen is online, and good luck with that, trying to use the internet to find piece of mind or certainty. Along with the legitimate people having a problem, you have to try to sift out all the hypochondriacs, trolls, and mentally deranged and ill people who aren't telling you the whole story, or a complete BS story.

I've been taking finasteride for about 15 yrs with no problems, and there are millions of other guys that have been doing the same. The lawyers would have bankrupted Merck years ago if the side effects were anywhere near as bad and widespread as your behavior on this thread would suggest.

Don't take finasteride, and based on the questions you've recently asked about minoxidil, I'd encourage you not to take that either to help with your piece of mind. Use the forum search function in the top right and the approved doctor list, and try to narrow your choices and ask questions about those.

And preferably on a new topic. Others seeing this overly dramatic title, "Terrified of Fin, the side effects, and the serious implications it has," is pretty much only helping to potentially spread your paranoia to others.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hairtroubles said:

What is Eugenix, everyone keeps mentioning this? @asterix0  - Think you mentioned this as well, any top clinics I can start to explore?

I would not recommend you to look into hair transplants right now. Your hair loss needs to stabilize first, plus you have a lot of native hair that may be prone to shock loss. I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I believe it's in your own best interest right now. I would wait 1-2 years and see how your hair loss progresses and then make a determination then. 

• Like 1

I agree with the advice of @asterix0 @ciaus @Melvin-Moderator, even if it may seem they do not match together perfectly, they are all offering you very wise advice, and I urge you to really listen to what they said. 

Right now you are probably not a good candidate for any medication, and definitely not surgery. Do not rush into these things, you are desperate now and it is clouding your judgement. Instead, consider talking to your GP about your previous depression, ask to be referred to someone to talk to about how much you are struggling. I think if you want feel like you are tackling your hair loss problem at least in the short term, rogaine/regaine (minoxidil) once per day will give you that. If you can't handle that your hair will probably get worse to make way for new growth for the first 4-6 weeks taking it, it is not for you. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

It's worth bearing in mind that the extreme depression and anxiety that can come with losing your hair at a young age (as it did with me) can definitely benefit with seeing someone professionally to talk about these concerns. I saw a therapist after I made the huge mistake of pulling the trigger on a couple of hair transplants that left me disfigured. It definitely helped me cope with what I was left to deal with at an age where it affected my entire life. It was part of my journey in overcoming not only my hair loss, but also in finding a way 'psychologically' out of this minefield to where I am today. Never discount it.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, j1mmy said:

I agree with the advice of @asterix0 @ciaus @Melvin-Moderator, even if it may seem they do not match together perfectly, they are all offering you very wise advice, and I urge you to really listen to what they said. 

Right now you are probably not a good candidate for any medication, and definitely not surgery. Do not rush into these things, you are desperate now and it is clouding your judgement. Instead, consider talking to your GP about your previous depression, ask to be referred to someone to talk to about how much you are struggling. I think if you want feel like you are tackling your hair loss problem at least in the short term, rogaine/regaine (minoxidil) once per day will give you that. If you can't handle that your hair will probably get worse to make way for new growth for the first 4-6 weeks taking it, it is not for you. 

Hey, I thought I woudl take some time off and just think and analyze everything being said.  With everything here, I decided to buy Minoxidil Foam and a Dermapen, to really give it a shot.

I was thinking about Topical Fin, to give it one last proper shot, but then I see a thread like this: 

And it absolutely terrifies me.  

Questions: How much should I dermapen a week, and how should I apply the foam minoxidil?  Going to try this, whats your thoughts?

@asterix0 @ciaus

@Melvin-Moderator

The more I read about finasteride, the more terrified I get, but I want to take it, but I dont know if I should even try?

On 3/24/2021 at 1:56 AM, ciaus said:

You need to slow down, I'm thinking you may have more than hair troubles. You joined the forum yesterday with this account and you're already up to 27 posts. Take a breather, especially if you post under other accounts.

What you've seen is online, and good luck with that, trying to use the internet to find piece of mind or certainty. Along with the legitimate people having a problem, you have to try to sift out all the hypochondriacs, trolls, and mentally deranged and ill people who aren't telling you the whole story, or a complete BS story.

I've been taking finasteride for about 15 yrs with no problems, and there are millions of other guys that have been doing the same. The lawyers would have bankrupted Merck years ago if the side effects were anywhere near as bad and widespread as your behavior on this thread would suggest.

Don't take finasteride, and based on the questions you've recently asked about minoxidil, I'd encourage you not to take that either to help with your piece of mind. Use the forum search function in the top right and the approved doctor list, and try to narrow your choices and ask questions about those.

And preferably on a new topic. Others seeing this overly dramatic title, "Terrified of Fin, the side effects, and the serious implications it has," is pretty much only helping to potentially spread your paranoia to others.

When you say approved doctors, may I ask, what exactly are you referring to, that I contact one of them and talk to them?

Is topical fin better than normal fin or is it all the same?

From what I have read, and through dialogue with hair transplant surgeons, topical fin is less effective than oral finasteride. To achieve the dosage needed to have equivalent efficacy of oral finasteride, it would already enter the bloodstream at a significant concentration, thus being pretty much having the same potential for side effects as the oral dosage.

8 hours ago, Hairtroubles said:

Hey, I thought I woudl take some time off and just think and analyze everything being said.  With everything here, I decided to buy Minoxidil Foam and a Dermapen, to really give it a shot.

I was thinking about Topical Fin, to give it one last proper shot, but then I see a thread like this: 

Questions: How much should I dermapen a week, and how should I apply the foam minoxidil?  Going to try this, whats your thoughts?

@asterix0 @ciaus

@Melvin-Moderator

The more I read about finasteride, the more terrified I get, but I want to take it, but I dont know if I should even try?

I'm glad you took some time to reflect on it. It is a logical fallacy to cherry pick the negative experiences that prove you will therefore have a negative experience. Why don't you cherry pick the 96% of people that had a positive experience in the same manner? You can then see you are setting yourself up to fail, faulty thinking my friend.  I understand that you realise this, and that is why you wonder if there is any point for you at this stage you are at now. 

You know, plenty of the long-term finasteride users don't want to waste their time with minoxidil and/or dermapen, because it is hassle and can't beat hormones and genetics decades from now. That said, I really do think a majority of people would see significant results from using these things consistently, and there is no evidence to suggest they stop working several years later. So I am quite confident that it will work for you.

If you can relax about finasteride, in micro quantities, you will be set up for life. We all have the gene for DHT to damage our hair follicles, but what we don't all have is the same DHT levels. Some of us might have very high DHT levels, and reducing this with finasteride is a fine thing like reducing blood pressure. Others may have very low levels, and reducing it gave them a symptom. Everyone is different man. The good thing about symptoms is that they are merely signals from the body. If you are smart to start slow, or stop slow, there is no reason to suggest your body will not appreciate that. But that is how I think.

You are hypervigilant, and your protection mechanism is working on overdrive. You are a guy paralysed, afraid to cross the street because there is traffic posing a risk to your survival. You have to choose whether it is more important for you to get to the other side of the street, or worry aimlessly about the traffic.  

Edited by j1mmy

14 hours ago, j1mmy said:

I'm glad you took some time to reflect on it. It is a logical fallacy to cherry pick the negative experiences that prove you will therefore have a negative experience. Why don't you cherry pick the 96% of people that had a positive experience in the same manner? You can then see you are setting yourself up to fail, faulty thinking my friend.  I understand that you realise this, and that is why you wonder if there is any point for you at this stage you are at now. 

You know, plenty of the long-term finasteride users don't want to waste their time with minoxidil and/or dermapen, because it is hassle and can't beat hormones and genetics decades from now. That said, I really do think a majority of people would see significant results from using these things consistently, and there is no evidence to suggest they stop working several years later. So I am quite confident that it will work for you.

If you can relax about finasteride, in micro quantities, you will be set up for life. We all have the gene for DHT to damage our hair follicles, but what we don't all have is the same DHT levels. Some of us might have very high DHT levels, and reducing this with finasteride is a fine thing like reducing blood pressure. Others may have very low levels, and reducing it gave them a symptom. Everyone is different man. The good thing about symptoms is that they are merely signals from the body. If you are smart to start slow, or stop slow, there is no reason to suggest your body will not appreciate that. But that is how I think.

You are hypervigilant, and your protection mechanism is working on overdrive. You are a guy paralysed, afraid to cross the street because there is traffic posing a risk to your survival. You have to choose whether it is more important for you to get to the other side of the street, or worry aimlessly about the traffic.  

I appreciate your reply and honesty, youre probably right mate to be honest.  Something important I wanted to ask was, do you think I need to have blood work done before taking Fin?  Is this a must or not super important and just be able to judge based off sides?

My thought process is this: 

-Start min foam 5% each night at 7pm, let it dry and just go on from there.  Sleep that night. Wash next night.  

- Dermapen 1.5mm every 10 days.  Even use it on the face after and do it there with Hyaluronic Acid with the same needle (that should be okay)?, when dermapenning the hair, do I need to use Hyaluronic Acid on the scalp?

- When and if this works, I can introduce Fin, do you think 1mg every other day is okay to start? 

- In terms of a shampoo, I read your post, but for an example, can you link me one to amazon you think would be a good one so I can compare? I may buy it now.

Thanks man!

• Administrators
On 4/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, Hairtroubles said:

@asterix0 @ciaus

@Melvin-Moderator

Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether you want to take fin. I don’t see any reason in being terrified, if you get sides stop. If you don’t get sides, you’re golden.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

If you are ‘terrified’ of a non life saving medication, then you probably aren’t suited to taking it. 

Everyone is unique and individual - some value their hair as the be all and end all, others want it, yet aren’t prepared to sacrifice or potentially sacrifice other areas of their life in order to try and preserve it. 

All you can do is read, research, and consult with relevant doctors who understand the drug, it’s pathology, and are able to assess you accordingly. The mantra of ‘just try it and if you get sides stop’ is all well and good, but the acknowledged tiny percentile of users who fall victim to persistent side effects throws that advice out the window for the more risk averse patients, which I’m assuming you may be judging by your posts. 

Statistically, noticeable side effects are low. Whether you believe that or not, still doesn’t equate to it being an easy decision to make as the ‘potential’ side effects and general nature of the drug are largely the complete opposite of most 18-50 year olds men’s desires . . So many on here can empathise with your current dilemma. If most people are honest, they would admit that they begrudgingly use it. However it is the best thing we have at the moment in order to slow down progression, and studies suggest the majority of users don’t experience unwanted side effects. 

I don’t know what your hair loss situation is, but it’s actually starting to come to a point where hair loss sufferers who have good donor and a pattern of loss that doesn’t exceed NW 5 sometimes even 6, are able to get very fulfilling results, without using preventative medication - so long as they are having surgery from great clinics, achieving high yields, and have smartly planned strategies. 

Another emerging innovation is the development of regenerative medicine techniques - have a listen to the IG live that @Melvin-Moderator did with Dr Bernstein. 

Try not to worry too much, and take your time to read and consult. 

You will make the right decision for you in time. 

Edited by Curious25

On 3/23/2021 at 1:43 AM, Hairtroubles said:

The more I am starting to learn more about a Hair Transplant, the more I am realizing that you can't seem to have a successful one unless you are on Fin? Is this true?

I went to the Belgravia center in the UK once and took Minoxidil with Finasteride and it terrified me. The side effects were very real and I felt anxious, faint, and super light headed.  If you research the side effects, people are saying they had irreversible side effects of erectile dysfunction and there is a whole subreddit group on it, so any of you who say, this is 2-3%, go look at the group and read the stories, they are terrifying.  People have been off Fin for 5+ years and still cannot get a boner...

I thought the whole point of a Hair Transplant was to avoid medication like this, and now you are telling me I need Fin!? Seriously? What are my options, nothing?

I wish this post existed before my HT. I didn't know you just have to be on meds to keep the newly transplanted hair, unless you're a lucky bastard I guess. You can see what happens when you don't take your meds in my HT post. I will start taking topical minoxidil soon. Not into finasteride either. I hope my example helps your decision.

6 hours ago, Dumbo said:

I wish this post existed before my HT. I didn't know you just have to be on meds to keep the newly transplanted hair, unless you're a lucky bastard I guess. You can see what happens when you don't take your meds in my HT post. I will start taking topical minoxidil soon. Not into finasteride either. I hope my example helps your decision.

Hey man, what do you mean, are you saying you wish you took Fin earlier, or had terrible side effects?  Can you briefly explain what you mean?  Im presuming you had a hair transplant, and then lost it and didnt take fin?  Would realy appreciate it if you can explain briefly mate.

I just finished work and its 10:30pm, super stressed out and tired every night, please do let me know breifly what happened with you bro, im about to pass out.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Hairtroubles said:

Hey man, what do you mean, are you saying you wish you took Fin earlier, or had terrible side effects?  Can you briefly explain what you mean?  Im presuming you had a hair transplant, and then lost it and didnt take fin?  Would realy appreciate it if you can explain briefly mate.

I just finished work and its 10:30pm, super stressed out and tired every night, please do let me know breifly what happened with you bro, im about to pass out.

Talk to @hairlossPA and @Shifty they both have threads showing a massive improvement. 

• Like 1

View my thread