Joe Rogan on Hair Transplants

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TrialAcc said:

It's not just about the money, it's about the overall barriers to having a successful procedure as a average young balding male. Joe is doing the correct thing by saying that most guys shouldn't have hair transplants because he's speaking to guys who were like him. Young (20s), probably semi broke and desperate to get back their youthful looks. That is not the ideal hair transplant candidate, I'm sure you will agree. 

Depends on the individual, there shouldn’t be blanket statements. Everyone is different, I had my first HT at 29 same age as Joe, except I had 4x the number of grafts, which has resulted in me having way more hair.

At the time he had an HT the maximum surgeons would transplant was a few hundred grafts at a time. To compare his experience in the late 80s early 90s to a 29 year old in 2021 is ludicrous.

When this website was started by Pat in 1999 he had 1,800 grafts, which at the time was equivalent to 10,000 grafts today. It was unheard of, but now that number is considered a small number. That was my original point, had Joe been 29 now, he probably could have had a long-lasting result.

The technology has improved immensely. Techniques, holding solutions, tools, all of these things combined has allowed surgeons the ability to consistently transplant 5,000-6,000 grafts, which is 10x the number possible 30 years ago.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin-Moderator, is there any decent hair transplant from the 80s or 90s?

I am almost sure we can find a rarity from late 90s.

I had no idea Joe had HTs, I remember in the very early UFC years in the 90s one of the hosts had an awful HT.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

17 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Depends on the individual, there shouldn’t be blanket statements. Everyone is different, I had my first HT at 29 same age as Joe, except I had 4x the number of grafts, which has resulted in me having way more hair.

At the time he had an HT the maximum surgeons would transplant was a few hundred grafts at a time. To compare his experience in the late 80s early 90s to a 29 year old in 2021 is ludicrous.

When this website was started by Pat in 1999 he had 1,800 grafts, which at the time was equivalent to 10,000 grafts today. It was unheard of, but now that number is considered a small number. That was my original point, had Joe been 29 now, he probably could have had a long-lasting result.

The technology has improved immensely. Techniques, holding solutions, tools, all of these things combined has allowed surgeons the ability to consistently transplant 5,000-6,000 grafts, which is 10x the number possible 30 years ago.

Like I said, the industry has grown leaps and bounds and Joe is biased because his own procedures failed. I still don't think it's where it needs to be for it to be a procedure that should be normalized for average people. We can agree to disagree on that. 

You're HT is unreal by the way, your video on youtube is why I ended up even being on this site and researching them myself. It still doesn't change that it's a major commitment to take the plunge, hope for good results and then still use concealer for life. Hair multiplication/cloning will bridge the gap in the future and fully normalize the procedure. 

Edited by TrialAcc

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

As a recovered Norwood 6 I completely disagree, you can’t make blanket statements, as everyone is different. Are some Norwood 6s bad candidates absolutely, but it comes down to the individual. If you have favorable donor characteristics, an HT is a great option. The technology today can restore a Norwood 6 and 7, but it all depends on the individual’s donor. Nothing to do with the technology.

image.jpeg

How many grafts did you get? 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

How many grafts did you get? 

5,300 grafts via FUE

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Doron Harati said:

@Melvin-Moderator, is there any decent hair transplant from the 80s or 90s?

💯 I feel for any gentleman that got a HT during those years.  

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

20 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

5,300 grafts via FUE

Did you take fin pre or after hair transplant?

Also you said in some threads you felt side effects, were you on generic fin or propecia (merck)? 

Are you still on fin or propecia today? Dosages as well? 1mg/day or did you ramp up? Side effects after awhile or right away? Just wondering

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, propeesha said:

Did you take fin pre or after hair transplant?

Also you said in some threads you felt side effects, were you on generic fin or propecia (merck)? 

Are you still on fin or propecia today? Dosages as well? 1mg/day or did you ramp up? Side effects after awhile or right away? Just wondering

I don’t take finasteride, I did in 2007 before getting hair transplants. I stopped because side effects. I was on proscar. I haven’t taken fin since 2007, which caused me to lose most of my hair.

View my thread

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t take finasteride, I did in 2007 before getting hair transplants. I stopped because side effects. I was on proscar. I haven’t taken fin since 2007, which caused me to lose most of my hair.

Ah I see, do you think taking proscar might've been too much? Its 5mg and im here thinking of doing .5mg/day? Obviously non of this matters now as you've gotten great results, but have you thought about this dosage aspect being an issue as 5 is a lot. I'm only asking your perspective on this as it doesn't matter now but do you think it would've been different had you lowered your dose? Ik its kinda impossible to answer it but wondering if you suspect dosage was a culprit for your sides vs. fin itself

• Moderators
On 3/18/2021 at 2:57 PM, TrialAcc said:

I don't think he's wrong on the "just shave it" front in todays age. When he was losing his hair, shaving it was very much more taboo, to the extent where some places even associated it with racism and neo-nazi beliefs through the "skin head" movement. Now there is basically 0 real negative stigma or views attached with shaving your head, it's actually the route that people with extensive hair loss are expected to go. The horse-shoe on a young guy is much more taboo and socially unacceptable then shaving your head. That being said, being bald/shaved does eliminate you from the traditional Hollywood "lead man" persona unless it's in action movies, but Joe was never that guy anyways so would it even matter?

I went through this. I was losing my hair at a very young age in the 1980s. I was doing the massive combover and it was getting to the point where I couldn't even do that anymore because I would have to make my part so far down the side of my head and let it grow so long to get it to cover the entire top that it was getting to be ridiculous. I couldn't shave my head because that was only for skin head neo nazis. I definitely did not want to look like that. What option was there? It's easy now for someone to say "you should have just shaved your head", but you can't compare todays time to 35 years ago.

Even now while most people say it's OK to shave your head, if you're 20 years old with a shaved head you are still not going to get many dates with anyone under 30, so it still matters a LOT to younger men. Joe Rogan is 50 something. It's easy for him now to say "Just shave your head" now that he is past the point of trying to be young and get noticed.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 3/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, Doron Harati said:

is there any decent hair transplant from the 80s or 90s?

I am almost sure we can find a rarity from late 90s.

I had my first hair transplant in 1989. It was awful and has been awful ever since.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
On 3/19/2021 at 8:18 PM, propeesha said:

Ah I see, do you think taking proscar might've been too much? Its 5mg and im here thinking of doing .5mg/day? Obviously non of this matters now as you've gotten great results, but have you thought about this dosage aspect being an issue as 5 is a lot. I'm only asking your perspective on this as it doesn't matter now but do you think it would've been different had you lowered your dose? Ik its kinda impossible to answer it but wondering if you suspect dosage was a culprit for your sides vs. fin itself

Either way the culprit was the fin, could I have lowered the dose? Yes. Would it have resolved the sides? Who knows. too late to know now. 

View my thread

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I went through this. I was losing my hair at a very young age in the 1980s. I was doing the massive combover and it was getting to the point where I couldn't even do that anymore because I would have to make my part so far down the side of my head and let it grow so long to get it to cover the entire top that it was getting to be ridiculous. I couldn't shave my head because that was only for skin head neo nazis. I definitely did not want to look like that. What option was there? It's easy now for someone to say "you should have just shaved your head", but you can't compare todays time to 35 years ago.

Even now while most people say it's OK to shave your head, if you're 20 years old with a shaved head you are still not going to get many dates with anyone under 30, so it still matters a LOT to younger men. Joe Rogan is 50 something. It's easy for him now to say "Just shave your head" now that he is past the point of trying to be young and get noticed.

Yea, it’s easy to speak in hindsight. The situation is vastly different for a 50 year old man than it is a 20 year old. 

View my thread

On 3/25/2021 at 4:40 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yea, it’s easy to speak in hindsight. The situation is vastly different for a 50 year old man than it is a 20 year old. 

Agreed! At 20 years of age going bald literally consumed my every thought, it sounds silly to say now but it genuinely did. Right now all my close friends have significant hair loss and if it happened now (at 40) I think I’d have a different outlook! Having said that, my HT’s were the best money I’ve ever spent in my life and I’d do it all over again any day! And in a f*cked up way I actually enjoyed the  whole process (ugly duckling phase aside).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aftermath said:

Agreed! At 20 years of age going bald literally consumed my every thought, it sounds silly to say now but it genuinely did. Right now all my close friends have significant hair loss and if it happened now (at 40) I think I’d have a different outlook! Having said that, my HT’s were the best money I’ve ever spent in my life and I’d do it all over again any day! And in a f*cked up way I actually enjoyed the  whole process (ugly duckling phase aside).

I think it’s quite a common occurrence people enjoying the process - especially the growth process, as you say aside from the shedding stage. I liken it to when you first step foot into the gym, and make all your ‘newbie’ gains in that first year and just watch a dramatic transformation happen in front of your eyes day by day, see your lifts go up, and how your body changes. It becomes addictive. 

When I first got my hairline restored and it started really taking shape and growing in around 5 months, I remember styling it out of the shower one day, and feeling like Robin Williams in Hook, in the scene when he remembered how to fly again. I felt like I’d recaptured so many lost years, and I even physically looked like the younger me that I remembered - it really did have quite a profound effect on me! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curious25 said:

I think it’s quite a common occurrence people enjoying the process - especially the growth process, as you say aside from the shedding stage. I liken it to when you first step foot into the gym, and make all your ‘newbie’ gains in that first year and just watch a dramatic transformation happen in front of your eyes day by day, see your lifts go up, and how your body changes. It becomes addictive. 

When I first got my hairline restored and it started really taking shape and growing in around 5 months, I remember styling it out of the shower one day, and feeling like Robin Williams in Hook, in the scene when he remembered how to fly again. I felt like I’d recaptured so many lost years, and I even physically looked like the younger me that I remembered - it really did have quite a profound effect on me! 

Totally agree with all you said, but I’m not just talking the process, I mean the actual operation too! injections aside of course 😂

On 3/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Aftermath said:

Man you’ve got the best results of this entire site

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 8:35 AM, BeHappy said:

Have to disagree man. One of my best friends went full shave bald before we were out of university (22). The guy has had nothing but success with girls since then, dating/hooking up with his fair share and now at 28 is engaged to a gorgeous girl. He's maybe a 7/10~ at best as a bald guy, but also insanely confident. 

I'm not saying it's irrelevant whether you have hair or not. Many girls, especially those under 30 are pretty picky about that type of thing at first glance, so sure, dating apps are probably not your friend, but in the end you can be just as successful with girls/life as a young bald guy as you would with hair these days. Joe is basically saying just that. If hair is going to be the deciding factor on whether or not you had a happy/successful life (youth), then you were probably not going to have a happy/successful life anyways because there will always be something to point out as the cause of your misery. 

That being said, I think hair transplants are a great option for some people. I'm on here myself because I want to know if it's the right choice for me, BUT, if it's not, I'm not going to live out my days as a miserable person who thinks that hair would solve all my problems. 

Edited by TrialAcc
  • Like 1