Experience with Dr Russell Knudsen in Sydney, Australia?

_lshy

It seems very difficult to find a quality HT surgeon in Australia. I have met with a few and the results are generally unsatisfactory.

I am doing research on the surgeon Dr Russell Knudsen in Sydney. I had a consultation with him and he came across as knowledgeable and professional, something unique in the Australian landscape. Encouraged by this I was too hasty and booked in for the surgery, paying a 2k deposit.

I am now doing research on him and it's giving me doubts on my choice. I have come to terms with losing my 2k deposit if I feel I will not obtain the result I am after.
There is very little information about him online and there are a few negative posts about his work on the forum that are disheartening.

I am 28 and about a NW3 (maybe 3.5)

image.png.06507817e2ff8bcebfd65c2a86a57418.png

I have been on dutasteride for 3 years now and my hairloss has effectively frozen, Dr Knudsen checked my hair with a microscope and the remaining hair seemed dark and healthy, Dr Knudsen saying it seemed my hair responded well to the medication. 

Dr Knudsen recommended 1000+ grafts (max 1500) placed in the hairline via FUT at a cost nearing 8k AUD (~6k USD) - 10k AUD (~13k USD). While I acknowledge this is more expensive or equivalent to decorated international surgeons, I don't foresee international travel being available for at least another year so I would like to see if I can attain a quality result from a domestic surgeon.

There really isn't much information on his work. He owns a clinic in Melbourne and there are some photos of the results from that clinic but not much from Dr Knudsen himself.

When seeing the results on his website and around this forum, there are few cases where his patients were at around my level and the pictures I saw were a bit concerning. Again, I overlooked this, didn't do my research and committed too quickly resulting in regrets.

I am going to aggregate the cases I have found in my research below. I will update this post with more information as I get it.

Case 1 (Knudsen Website)

image.png.c43e982348d927b6f28402eb8aca20d3.png

This example was only 651 grafts and the patient had low gauge hair but this is the kind of result I would be very unhappy with. The hairline design seems good though which is encouraging. 

Case 2 (Knudsen Website)

image.png.84c0f4376a5ecb2e50a2e1e50aa31e0d.png

This example seems to show good density, but with 568 grafts only covering such a small area, I wonder if 1000 grafts will be enough for me to attain a quality result. Will Dr Knudsen space out my grafts much like the other examples?

Case 3 (HRN)

While I feel the hairline looks natural, the level of density creates an undesirable result that I would not be happy with. The patent here also had follow up procedures and seemed to be very unhappy with the result.

Case 4 (HRN)

The images here are quite low quality so it's hard to assess the quality of the transplant but it seems like an overall good result. I feel like I am in a similar place in terms of hair loss and I would be happy with this outcome.

Sadly it was made by bank transfer. I called the bank and tried to reverse it already and they said they could not. My last resort will be to ask Dr Knudsen to return my deposit, though he isn't obligated to and I don't have high hopes that he will.

Thanks for the advice and it's a painful lesson to learn. It's no small sum to lose but stepping into the unknown with the consequences of a poor procedure being so significant, I'll call it my "idiot tax".

I have asked Dr Knudsen for a refund of the deposit. The recept indicates the clinic would refund the deposit if the cancelation is more than 21 days away from the procedure however I was booked for the procedure within 21 days so I never had a chance to begin with.

I asked if they would consider a refund, I don't have high hopes but it can't hurt 😏 

It’s going to be a shame to lose your 2k, but it’s worth it in the long run - because wasted grafts are higher price to pay.

You seem to have a great starting point to be worked on by a decent a surgeon, and the fact you are on dutasteride bodes well in the sense that you are unlikely to worsen to the point of looking horrendous if you wait it out another year. 

Those results look like something I’d have expect to have seen from a doctor in the 90’s - avoid at all costs.  

Call your bank or credit card and tell them to refund you . Say you decided not to go through surgery for health concerns due to the pandemic. And since the clinic did not provide you any services you will get your money back . I guarantee u!! Just be smart about it .

I got my deposit back years ago, for $1000 when I canceled my ht. I just called my bank told them services wasn’t provided, n I did not want to go through with surgery due to health concerns .. my bank refunded my money on the spot. Then they did whatever they did on their end . N that’s that . So don’t ever let these clinics scare you with that non refundable deposit crap . U don’t need to speak to the clinic .. call ur bank !! 

• Like 2

Looks like a classic 2,000 - 2,500 graft hairline case to me. For such a low quote amount of grafts it also seems expensive - I paid around $6,500 USD for 2,000 grafts from a proven top surgeon.

It's good you're willing to let the money go. I would say you should get back to the drawing board and research here for another year. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

No way I sacrifice my head for 2000 $ and you should not do it either.

The quoted grafts are to low for you case.

FUT for such a low amount is outdated.

You already have seen bad results (not bad growth, this can happen at any clinic, but a poor result due to poor planning). 

• Like 1

• Administrators

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Call your bank or credit card and tell them to refund you . Say you decided not to go through surgery for health concerns due to the pandemic. And since the clinic did not provide you any services you will get your money back . I guarantee u!! Just be smart about it .

I got my deposit back years ago, for $1000 when I canceled my ht. I just called my bank told them services wasn’t provided, n I did not want to go through with surgery due to health concerns .. my bank refunded my money on the spot. Then they did whatever they did on their end . N that’s that . So don’t ever let these clinics scare you with that non refundable deposit crap . U don’t need to speak to the clinic .. call ur bank !! 

This should work. 

I wish you the best of luck in your decision. My only input is that I do believe your pattern requires at least 2000 grafts- 2500 in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I have contacted the clinic asking for a refund, they have told me they will keep my deposit unless someone else fills the booking. The chances someone will want to do the procedure in 2 weeks is low so I don't have high hopes.

The clinic has a policy where they will refund a canceled appointment if cancelled more than 3 weeks away from the surgery date. I cancelled at 2 weeks, though they booked me in within the 3 week period without telling me about the notice period.

The notice period was stated in the contract, I should have been more careful reading it but had I been told in the clinic of that notice period - I would have booked in later to allow me some cooling off time.

Even though the booking was made emotionally and hastily, it is on me for not protecting myself by calming down and reading through the terms before sending through the deposit.

• Administrators

You’ve been given some excellent advice by members here. Deposits are definitely refundable by the bank. In the end, I hope you’ll take that thread I created to heart. Research slowly and consult with as many docs as possible.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Had an appointment with Knudsen, honestly the way he approached the consultation was as if he didn't give a shit about any of my concerns. He seems real happy and concerned about you on Youtube but couldn't give a shit when you come in, all he wants is your $$$, and seriously for the results he produces there is absolutely no way you can justify his pricing.

Take the L on the deposit, save your dosh and go to a reputable clinic in NA.. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

_Ishy that $2k deposit could be the cheapest lesson that has saved you from a botched hair transplant that will cost you untold emotional pain and thousands more in the future if you go through with this with Knudsen or Vikram. I have made many posts and replies on Dr Knudsen (and Dr Vikram which includes fraud which is well documented). If you were 18 (like I was with no internet at the time) I would be more humbling. But in 2021 with forums like this one and at 28 you should know that research is paramount. I keep stating for peeps to learn from my mistakes as it costs you nothing and won't leave you with scars or disappointment. If you have chosen an Australian surgeon because of the lock down then you need to remember that a hair transplant is for LIFE. Covid -19 is not! I myself have been waiting for well over a year and if it takes another year then all the better as it will give me more time to research even more. Personally I think that Knudsen should refund your deposit since it was pretty obvious that you made an impulse decision. An ethical surgeon would probably say think about it for a week or two. All the best.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Guano said:

Had an appointment with Knudsen, honestly the way he approached the consultation was as if he didn't give a shit about any of my concerns. He seems real happy and concerned about you on Youtube but couldn't give a shit when you come in, all he wants is your $$$, and seriously for the results he produces there is absolutely no way you can justify his pricing.

Take the L on the deposit, save your dosh and go to a reputable clinic in NA.. 

Totally agree Guano. Don't be fooled by the YouTube 'feel good/free advice' channel that they run.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
11 minutes ago, BLE123 said:

Wtf man. You've paid 2k and what have you gotten for it? Nothing! Get your money back. Tell them you have covid if you have to.

I hear you but personally think just be upfront and honest and hold these people accountable. If Knudsen wants to make money off a potential patient who has entertained no research and made an impulse decision on the spot then that is all you tell him and need to ask for your money back!

• Like 1

You scheduled surgery within 3 weeks?! That’s insane. There’s no way in hell I’d let a surgeon take 2k from me over some BS policy. I’d call the bank tell em I canceled due to covid concerns and the doctor is refusing to return my funds for a procedure that was never provided. In the states, every bank would return your money. 

These guys have a show on YouTube talking about fin and stuff, but they never show off their results like FUExpert Cuoto. That should tell you everything. Pretty shady of them to keep your money. I’ve learned a lot from being here a few hours. 

• Like 1

After speaking directly to Dr Knudsen and expressing that I understood I was in the wrong for not being more vigilant around the terms of the agreement but that at least a partial refund of the deposit would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Knudsen decided he would refund my deposit in full. Which, considering the fact that he was under no legal obligation to and the nature of cosmetic clinics in Australia, is amazing.

In the interim I am going to try out hair pieces while I wait for the borders to re-open. At the cost of a higher maintenance cost, I feel I couldn't get results like this with a transplant.

image.png.fd1ea296e0c221b4eeb321afb4e6ec8b.png

• Administrators

If you want ultra-high density getting a system is the way to go, but high density hair transplants can be done. You just have to select a surgeon capable of it. 

Here’s are examples:

View my thread

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

If you want ultra-high density getting a system is the way to go, but high density hair transplants can be done. You just have to select a surgeon capable of it. 

Here’s are examples:

Thank you Melvin, for sharing our work.

I will be pleased to provide further information upon request.

Best regards.

▪️Ignacio Torres Blanchard - Representative of De Freitas Clinic
▪️https://www.injertocapilar-alopecia.es/en - https://www.clinicadefreitas.com
▪️
(+34) 681 273 588

De Freitas Clinic.png