is permanent shock loss a high possibility ?

hi

looking into HT and am wondering if permanent shockloss can happen or is there a percentage probability ?

i have diffuse hair and concerned that if i do the HT and i have permanent shockloss it could be worse afterwards than it was before... 

many advice greatly appreciated ! 

I believe a lot has to do with skill of surgeon and whether you are on meds. Keep in mind though that temporary shock loss can still happen from surgical trauma and the anesthesia. Transection should most likely not be an issue with an experienced surgeon. You will most likely be asked to shave down the recipient site. Who is the surgeon?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Do you have any pictures you can share?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Possibility is obviously there, but it's remote, even with diffuse hair loss (it's higher than someone with traditional MPB though). It'll depend on patient characteristics, whether you're on meds, and skillset of the surgeon. 

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

4 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Get on fin. That'll help. 

*fully research finasteride, book a urological consultation, talk with your doctor, and make an informed decision on whether to take it together ...  and that could help* 

• Like 1

thanks everyone appreciate it! 

pic below looks worse than it is when it’s long and lights make it look very diffuse but it’s very short. 

not decided on doc but heard about the permanent shock loss and got me worried about it ...have had a few online consultations and they say 4k needed for front and mid scalp. 

thanks again 

Edited by jimmyT

I can't recall seeing any permanent shock loss cases on here, though granted I haven't looked at every single report. I have seen a few where patients have been left with patchy donors and people on here have told them that it's shock loss and will grow back ... but it never did. I think in those cases though it was more likely poor harvesting rather than permanent shock loss.

1 minute ago, jimmyT said:

yeah both for about a year 

In that case permanent shock loss should not really be an issue. But temporary shock loss can happen so just be prepared for that but keep in mind it should slowly start to come back around the 3 month mark. Some people experience more shock loss than others and my surgeon advised that it is difficult to predict to who it will happen. Having the mindset to k ow it can happen and that it should start to grow back around 3 months will greatly help you deal with it for the first 3 months. It's when people are not prepared of this possibility that it becomes a very difficult 3-4 months where you seem to have even less hair than where you started. 

• Like 1

With proper technique, instrumentation, graft handling and expertise (not only of the surgeon but of the entire team), permanent shock loss is avoidable. Temporary shock loss might be involved in all cases but then again those hair come back eventually. 

• Like 3

Kind Regards
Abhinay Singh  -  I am no longer a representative for Eugenix Hair Sciences. If you want to contact them please see below:

Email : info@eugenix.in    WhatsApp Call/Message: +91 79-779-15534          My Hair Transplant Journey 
I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.