beard hair (donor) to scalp (recipient) - best doctors

• Moderators
On 4/13/2021 at 9:54 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes, they assessed it when I had it short. This is my beard after two days. If I can get 1,500 out of it, I’d be doing pretty good.

You have some excellent beard hair, especially if that is at only two days. You should be able to get a few thousand grafts from that and if it grows that fast it will probably be very good on your scalp.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:54 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes, they assessed it when I had it short. This is my beard after two days. If I can get 1,500 out of it, I’d be doing pretty good.

image.jpeg

You should be able to get way more than that.  Easily 2,500 if they take a lot of it.

Then it comes down to how much beard hair you wanna keep  in case you enjoy wearing beards.

I personally don't, I hate beards. I like to be clean shaven. 

For all I care they can take 90% of my beard hairs because that means less time shaving in the morning

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Westview said:

You should be able to get way more than that.  Easily 2,500 if they take a lot of it.

Then it comes down to how much beard hair you wanna keep  in case you enjoy wearing beards.

I personally don't, I hate beards. I like to be clean shaven. 

For all I care they can take 90% of my beard hairs because that means less time shaving in the morning

I don’t, but my fiancé loves them. This was recently in January. Probably the longe I’ve ever worn my beard. I was happy to see it’s relatively straight.

BF583F01-BE5B-4C46-A806-AA651FF0C353.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

Melvin, If you remove half the hair under your chin, nobody will ever know. You will still look the same.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 minute ago, stephcurry30 said:

I have a poverty beard. I hate it. 

Melvin was blessed by the Beard Gods. Do you possibly use Minoxidil on your beard before? 

I’m lucky to have a really awesome beard. I do think it’s much more likely in the higher Norwoods. Like a possible bonus for having rubbish scalp hair 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I’m lucky to have a really awesome beard. I do think it’s much more likely in the higher Norwoods. Like a possible bonus for having rubbish scalp hair 😂

Lol, like a commiseration bonus!

I wonder how much it has to do with a correlation in DHT levels. . Seeing as though balding men don’t necessarily have sky high DHT levels, it simply boils down to whether the sensitivity of their hair follicles. 

When I ran my endocrinology tests last year, my testosterone levels were average, as were my DHT . . unfortunately my hair just doesn’t handle it too well 😞

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

Melvin, If you remove half the hair under your chin, nobody will ever know. You will still look the same.

Really?! I think half the hair would be at least 2,000 grafts. That would put me at 7,000 grafts, which is definitely respectable. How many beard grafts have you done? 

1 hour ago, stephcurry30 said:

I have a poverty beard. I hate it. 

Melvin was blessed by the Beard Gods. Do you possibly use Minoxidil on your beard before? 

Nah, never used anything for my beard. It just grows lol. If I could relocate that hair to the top I’d be golden. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Nah, never used anything for my beard. It just grows lol. If I could relocate that hair to the top I’d be golden. 

Where would you personally rather use them . . mixed in with scalp hair in the recipient, or further your scalp donor and then use the BHT to restock your donor? 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Where would you personally rather use them . . mixed in with scalp hair in the recipient, or further your scalp donor and then use the BHT to restock your donor? 

Personally, I’ve been of the thought that putting it in the donor makes more sense. However, Dr. Sethi believes its best to use on the scalp. It’s more important persevering the donor. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Here is a very interesting video. Speaking of beard hair....the 1st case I am pretty sure is forum member @budhair.

They really pushed his beard to the limit with 4,812 grafts over 2 procedures only utilizing 3,750 scalp grafts over the 2 procedures for a total of 8,562 grafts. Sounds as if he had a previous unsuccessful strip procedure which ate up grafts and according to his posts, he didn't have very good quality scalp donor hair.

I really like the transparency as Dr. Arika presents his case as she explains some of the limits of beard grafts, especially in their growth cycle. 

Overall, I think he got solid results especially given his circumstance!

On another interesting note, I read on a blog from Akeso hair transplant doctor Akhilesh Jangid, who I think is pretty well known in India having won hair transplant doctor of the year in Delhi from 2016-2018 (not sure of rating source) that one beard graft is the equivalent of 60-70% of a scalp graft; this is taking into account the larger beard hair diameter weighed against scalp grafts being thinner yet having between 2-3 grafts. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, SLA said:

Here is a very interesting video. Speaking of beard hair....the 1st case I am pretty sure is forum member @budhair.

They really pushed his beard to the limit with 4,812 grafts over 2 procedures only utilizing 3,750 scalp grafts over the 2 procedures for a total of 8,562 grafts. Sounds as if he had a previous unsuccessful strip procedure which ate up grafts and according to his posts, he didn't have very good quality scalp donor hair.

I really like the transparency as Dr. Arika presents his case as she explains some of the limits of beard grafts, especially in their growth cycle. 

Overall, I think he got solid results especially given his circumstance!

On another interesting note, I read on a blog from Akeso hair transplant doctor Akhilesh Jangid, who I think is pretty well known in India having won hair transplant doctor of the year in Delhi from 2016-2018 (not sure of rating source) that one beard graft is the equivalent of 60-70% of a scalp graft; this is taking into account the larger beard hair diameter weighed against scalp grafts being thinner yet having between 2-3 grafts. 

Dr. Arika is absolutely fantastic, such an ethical surgeon. To be fair, the first example still looked WAY better than the pre-op. I would be happy with that, but yes BHT isn’t a miracle. The anagen cycle for scalp hair is about double that of beard hair. 

• Like 1

View my thread

49 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Dr. Arika is absolutely fantastic, such an ethical surgeon. To be fair, the first example still looked WAY better than the pre-op. I would be happy with that, but yes BHT isn’t a miracle. The anagen cycle for scalp hair is about double that of beard hair. 

For sure...yes solid results!!!

I am pretty sure anagen phase for scalp is a bit more that 2x scalp. There is a chart in the video I sent on BHT produced by Eugenix. Anagen for scalp is 2-8 years while anagen for beard is 2 months- 1 year.  

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, SLA said:

For sure...yes solid results!!!

I am pretty sure anagen phase for scalp is a bit more that 2x scalp. There is a chart in the video I sent on BHT produced by Eugenix. Anagen for scalp is 2-8 years while anagen for beard is 2 months- 1 year.  

2 months is too short, hair wouldn’t be able to grow long at 2 months. I believe its 1-2 years. In the picture I posted above my beard was around 3 inches. Beards can grow pretty long, but it also depends on genetics.

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

2 months is too short, hair wouldn’t be able to grow long at 2 months. I believe its 1-2 years. In the picture I posted above my beard was around 3 inches. Beards can grow pretty long, but it also depends on genetics.

Perhaps...just reporting what Dr. Arika had in her video.

• 5 months later...