beard hair (donor) to scalp (recipient) - best doctors

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a while and apart from the odd video on youtube, and the odd research paper saying that beard hair makes the best transplant donor (except for scalp), I haven't found much else on this topic.

I'm particularly interested in surgeons known for successful results at this. I've come across Dr Umar in Manhattan Beach, California. Does anyone know of any other good surgeons? 

Thanks 

Dr. Umar does great work with body hair transplants. I know @Dr. Vladimir Paninedoes body hair transplants, including beard as well. Eugenix is great in this field too. 

Have you consulted with Dr. Panine or other clinics? Both Dr. Panine and Eugenix are recommended on here. You should consult with them. Let me know if you have any questions and please feel free to private message me if you'd like. Happy growing!

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I like Eugenix, they provide have the most “good” cases using BHT. Umar is a pioneer in BHT. Do keep in mind that BHT although good, isn’t as predictable as scalp hair. It’s a lot more unpredictable in terms of growth.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’m looking to consult with Eugenix this year with regards to working with BHT so I’l keep the community posted with their feedback. 

My two main questions I’m going to ask them will be; 

1) How many grafts do I have available from under my chin to harvest, without stripping all the hair away (I still want to have some appearance of beard there, albeit less so in the vain of having more hair on my head). 

2) What their views are on pushing my scalp donor to the limit, and placing extra grafts in my recipient from my scalp . . And then replenishing my depleted donor with BHT from under my chin. This I am particularly interested in - because aesthetically and logically, I can’t find a flaw to the strategy other than the fact that I will have to undergo more surgeries (you will be transplanting twice) which I’m totally cool with. @mustang has a really interesting thread on this and his results look amazing, however not all doctors seem keen on this approach, and I don’t understand why. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 5:22 PM, Curious25 said:

I’m looking to consult with Eugenix this year with regards to working with BHT so I’l keep the community posted with their feedback. 

My two main questions I’m going to ask them will be; 

1) How many grafts do I have available from under my chin to harvest, without stripping all the hair away (I still want to have some appearance of beard there, albeit less so in the vain of having more hair on my head). 

2) What their views are on pushing my scalp donor to the limit, and placing extra grafts in my recipient from my scalp . . And then replenishing my depleted donor with BHT from under my chin. This I am particularly interested in - because aesthetically and logically, I can’t find a flaw to the strategy other than the fact that I will have to undergo more surgeries (you will be transplanting twice) which I’m totally cool with. @mustang has a really interesting thread on this and his results look amazing, however not all doctors seem keen on this approach, and I don’t understand why. 

Hi @Curious25

1. Generally, according to what I have learned from Eugenix, most men can harvest between 3-4k lifetime from beard without affecting aesthetics of beard.

2. I have heard Dr. Sethi say that they prefer to put beard hair on scalp rather than using it to restock donor- although he said they have done this.

Dr. Arika said that beard to scalp tend to be excellent with around 60% of patents, 20% have moderately good results and 10-20% not so good.

She attributes the poor results to 'slow growing/patchy' beards. During a consult, she asked what my face looks like 24 hours after a shave. When I told her you can see a little outline of stubble, but not really stubble, she said I probably have 3-4k lifetime beard grafts to use.

If you are someone who might not see growth on beard for 3-4 days after a shave then your beard might not be very viable. On the other hand, if you shave in the morning and have to shave again at night because it is getting stubbly, you might have a lot more beard grafts to use. There was a case of a guy named Rahul (case is detailed on this forum), a full blown NW7 with depleted donor in which they used a bit over 1k scalp grafts and something like 9k beard grafts and a couple of thousand from the chest to successfully fill his entire head. I was told that he had such strong and fast growing beard hairs that he had to shave 2x per day. 

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLA said:

Hi @Curious25

1. Generally, according to what I have learned from Eugenix, most men can harvest between 3-4k lifetime from beard without affecting aesthetics of beard.

2. I have heard Dr. Sethi say that they prefer to put beard hair on scalp rather than using it to restock donor- although he said they have done this.

Dr. Arika said that beard to scalp tend to be excellent with around 60% of patents, 20% have moderately good results and 10-20% not so good.

She attributes the poor results to 'slow growing/patchy' beards. During a consult, she asked what my face looks like 24 hours after a shave. When I told her you can see a little outline of stubble, but not really stubble, she said I probably have 3-4k lifetime beard grafts to use.

If you are someone who might not see growth on beard for 3-4 days after a shave then your beard might not be very viable. On the other hand, if you shave in the morning and have to shave again at night because it is getting stubbly, you might have a lot more beard grafts to use. There was a case of a guy named Rahul (case is detailed on this forum), a full blown NW7 with depleted donor in which they used a bit over 1k scalp grafts and something like 9k beard grafts and a couple of thousand from the chest to successfully fill his entire head. I was told that he had such strong and fast growing beard hairs that he had to shave 2x per day. 

Hope this helps!

Great info, thank you very much for your response ! 

Is the 3-4K graft count based upon extracting from the whole beard, or from just under the chin? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SLA said:

Hi @Curious25

Hope this helps!

10/10 post. I know Dr. Arika and Sethi both feel my beard is viable. But I can definitely see the logic in slow growing/patchy beards being weaker for transplants.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Yea it’s an interesting analysis . . I wonder if it has anything to do with the Anagen phases being longer if your beard hair grows quicker, or whether it’s just because the grafts tend to be thicker and darker, hence why you have the appearance of stubble quicker? 

2 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Great info, thank you very much for your response ! 

Is the 3-4K graft count based upon extracting from the whole beard, or from just under the chin? 

My understanding is from under the chin and neck mainly. I think they can and will go by jaw/cheeks if necessary.

I always wondered if someone was okay not having a beard and didn't have any discernable scarring how many grafts they could obtain.

This video says it all....pay special attention at 2:23 and at 2:39 you can see the results from the OP Rahul who I referenced above.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Yea it’s an interesting analysis . . I wonder if it has anything to do with the Anagen phases being longer if your beard hair grows quicker, or whether it’s just because the grafts tend to be thicker and darker, hence why you have the appearance of stubble quicker? 

Anagen phase plays into it as well. I think beard anagen is 2 months- 1 year (1-3 month telogen), while scalp anagen is 2 years-8 years (3 month telogen), so density might wane at times with heavy beard graft use.

3-4K under the chin would be amazing! 

The way I groom my beard, I shave my neck from just below the Adam’s apple, so if all of that hair can be extracted, all the more better for me! I would like to have some hair still visit under the chin, because I don’t find it visually attractive when beards are shaved right up until the jawline - it can create jaw rounding, and looks quite unnatural, however homogeneous extraction should hopefully still allow for a substantial amount to remain. 

Will watch the vid just now 👍🏻 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

10/10 post. I know Dr. Arika and Sethi both feel my beard is viable. But I can definitely see the logic in slow growing/patchy beards being weaker for transplants.

@Melvin-Moderator, Did Dr. Sethi and Dr. Arika assess your beard viability by you sending photos or just through video?

I had a video consult with Dr. Arika and had my beard grown out for several months. When I asked about viability of beard, she said she can't tell at that length, and then asked me the question about how quickly my beard grows.

• Moderators
On 4/9/2021 at 5:22 PM, Curious25 said:

I got over 2300 beard grafts without going up into my cheeks. I still have hair in the entire area, but most of it that's left is slower growing shorter beard hair. I used most of the good ones up. I think I probably have another 200 or so good ones left.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

24 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I got over 2300 beard grafts without going up into my cheeks. I still have hair in the entire area, but most of it that's left is slower growing shorter beard hair. I used most of the good ones up. I think I probably have another 200 or so good ones left.

Nice. Would you mind sharing a picture of under your chin grown out after 7 days of being clean shaven if you have any pics ? Thanks  

I agree with the mentioning of Eugenix here. They are doing some really good hts using beard hair to supplement scalp hair. Giving hope to even the highest Norwood levels. Over the years I have always likes Dr Umar/Dr Mwamba and Dr Bisanga also. Some really good options these days for moving beard grafts 👏

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 hours ago, SLA said:

@Melvin-Moderator, Did Dr. Sethi and Dr. Arika assess your beard viability by you sending photos or just through video?

I had a video consult with Dr. Arika and had my beard grown out for several months. When I asked about viability of beard, she said she can't tell at that length, and then asked me the question about how quickly my beard grows.

Yes, they assessed it when I had it short. This is my beard after two days. If I can get 1,500 out of it, I’d be doing pretty good.

image.jpeg

View my thread