The Case for FUE

SLA

Hi All- I came across a very interesting article by, a pioneering FUE surgeon (formerly FUT surgeon) from Atlanta. Dr. C is one of the few doctors endorsed by Joe Tillman, the hair transplant mentor.

The title of the article on page 23 of the PDF (44 in the magazine) is 'FUE Fights Back' as Dr. C argues why FUE is the better technique including his argument on why FUE can harvest more lifetime grafts than FUT. I think it is worth reading given it was written by Dr. C.

If you are as confused as I am around which technique is better, especially in relation to maximizing your lifetime donor potential, this article paints an interesting perspective!

http://fuemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/FUE-Magazine-volume1-Issue-1-The-Authority-Hair-Restoration.pdf

• Administrators

This doctor has been pretty adamant against strip, he’s like Dr. Feller except he’s anti-strip. Truthfully, both methods are good and here to stay.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

14 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This doctor has been pretty adamant against strip, he’s like Dr. Feller except he’s anti-strip. Truthfully, both methods are good and here to stay.

For sure @Melvin-Moderator. Dr. Cole has a strong opinion, however,  he has tons of experience, was a strip surgeon and is an innovator so his points give me pause. Some of his points make sense and others I do not understand fully.

Would love to see a debate between Dr. Feller and Dr. Cole on the topic.  

Very interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.  Dr. Cole makes a very strong case for FUE vs. FUT.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr C has and continues to make millions from his FUE instruments, so I'd bare that in mind concerning anything he says.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators
On 1/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, SLA said:

Dr. C argues why FUE is the better technique including his argument on why FUE can harvest more lifetime grafts than FUT.

FUE uses a much larger donor area than FUT, so I won't argue the fact that technically you can harvest more grafts using FUE, however the entire reason for getting a hair transplant is to get hair growing on your head, hopefully for many years to come. While you may be able to get more lifetime grafts with FUE wouldn't it be better to need less grafts because they were taken from a safer area with FUT rather than a less safe area and thus falling out after a few years with FUE?

I'm not against FUE because it certainly has it's place, but I've said before that FUE is great for the short term, especially these days with hair styles that have the back and sides very short, but long term FUT is usually the better option because (done right) the grafts are taken from an area that will last longer than some of the FUE grafts.

For someone who has a relatively aggressive hair loss I really think they should consider FUT or else they may find themselves in a situation where they have to either continue to go back and do more FUE to replace old grafts or shave their head due to continued loss of transplanted hair that was taken too high up or too low in the donor area. I know a lot of guys choose FUE with a "plan B" of being able to shave if it doesn't work out, but if you are really OK with shaving then I think you should just make that your "plan A" and be done with it.

Again, I'm not against FUE, but I do feel like a lot of guys need to spend more time thinking about what they want long term with a hair transplant rather than just thinking about how they can style their hair in 10 months when it grows in.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

I thought I'd comment a little more people commenting about how they prefer FUE because they want to have the option to shave their head if it doesn't work out.

Every time you come up with a goal that you know you want for yourself you should be mainly focused on how to reach that goal. If you spend too much time working out a "plan B" secondary fall back plan then that secondary back up plan will subconsciously become the main plan/goal without you ever realizing it and you will never reach what was the real main goal to begin with because you are spending more time working out how to achieve the secondary goal rather than the primary goal. This happens to a lot of people with lots of things in life, not just with hair transplants. While it's certainly fine to think about what you will do if X happens, don't start spending too much time and effort planning what to do in X situation or how to do it or else you will end up making certain that's the one that happens. Don't lose sight of your real goal.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I agree totally with BeHappy's last 2 comments. The whole notion if my HT doesn't pan out or i need more in the future so i will get FUE so i can shave down if all doesn't go to plan is unstable. I get people think like that when they start their research and they are trying to learn but the key word is 'PLAN'.

Plan on going to an ethical and top-notch doctor who has a master plan for you. Stay away from google reviews and yelp etc. Don't rush.

If you are that committed to having hair by getting a HT, then give yourself a fighting chance to do so and you will most likely succeed if you are realistic and calculated in your approach. I mean seriously, people are willing to take a plane half way across the world to get more hair and you are telling me that these people will just shave down if it doesn't work out ?

As BeHappy stated "don't start spending too much time and effort planning what to do in X situation or how to do it or else you will end up making certain that's the one that happens. Don't lose sight of your real goal."

• Like 1

• Administrators

@SLA there was a thread from 2015 where there was a lot of back amd forth mud slinging. There were some decent points. But I think there’s enough information out there now that proves the growth rate is equal with FUE, depending on the surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.